Steele Creek School

The Steele Creek Historical and Genealogical Society
Of the Old Steele Creek Township
Mecklenburg County, North Carolina

The Steel Creek School

......................................................................................................................................................................................

STEEL CREEK HIGH SCHOOL
(Information taken from old deeds)

On the 30th day of November, 1900, proceedings of condemnation for land owned by Mrs. Fannie Grier and her minor children, Lee Grier, Mason Grier, Pringle Grier and James Brown Grier was filed in court, stating that the County Superintendent of Schools and the School Committee of District #1 had been unable to find suitable property to build a new school. They were condemning the Grier property. The court proceeding ended in December, 1901 and a two story school was built. In 1923, the School System gave the property to the "Central Community Club" of District 1. According to Mrs. Carrie Scholtz, they removed the 2nd story, turned the building around and made it as we see it today, "The Community House" on York Road. The Griers were paid $15 for 1 acre in 1901. When the schools were consolidated around 1922, a new and larger school was built further south on York Road. The Steel Creek High School was joined with other schools at that location.

- Return to Top of Page -

Return to the Main SCHGS Page

This site is generously
Hosted by RootsWeb

Hosted by RootsWeb

Copyright 2001 - 2004 by Steele Creek Historical and Genealogical Society,
Paul D. Buckley, WebMaster.