The city of Buffalo was a logging boom town. It's post office first opened 11 Oct 1889. At it's prime, Buffalo had over 2000 residents, a hotel and a company store. Eight trains came to the city. Lumber was put on the train, a barge or simply floated down to Elizabeth City. The post office closed 15 Aug 1903 and reopened 29 Feb 1908. During Prohibition, the town flourished. Whiskey was put in 5 gallon "jimmy johns" and connected to trott lines. If any revenuers came by, the line was cut and the whiskey would sink to the bottom. The post office closed for the final time 11 Jun 1947.

The town was deserted more than fifty years ago. The only thing there is a few overgrown foundations and some railbeds.

Return to North Carolina Ghost Towns

Go To US Ghost Towns Special Project

Go To North Carolina Home Page