(Click Photograph for Larger Image)
Bethesda Presbyterian Church is located in Western Caswell County on Bethesda Cemetery Road, just south of Highway 158 before reaching Casville. A North Carolina historical marker located at the intersection of Bethesda Church Road and Bethesda Cemetery Road provides additional directions to the site.
Bethesda Presbyterian Church began in 1765 as Hart's Chapel and is one of the oldest churches in Caswell County. While the documentary evidence is not complete, it appears that the first pastor was the Reverend Hugh McAden, the pioneering Presbyterian missionary. The church is considered the mother of many churches in counties west of Caswell County.
The current brick building was dedicated June 25, 1944. It replaced a white wooden frame building that burned April 16, 1943. When this older wooden frame building was constructed is unknown. However, church records show it being repaired as early as 1896 with funds provided by Isaac B. Siddle.Note the following from When the Past Refused to Die, A History of Caswell County, North Carolina 1777-1977, William S. Powell (1977) at 436:
The third oldest Presbyterian church [in Caswell County], Bethesda Church, was organized about 1765 as Hart's Chapel, probably named for the donor of the site. It is located in the western part of the county near Locust Hill and at one time was also known as Cobb's Chapel. An early missionary society, perhaps the first in Orange Presbytery, was organized here. The Rev. Jacob Doll, Bethesda pastor, organized the First Presbyterian Church in Reidsville in 1875. Other Bethesda pastors are said to have organized churches at Wentworth and at Leaksville. The old wooden church at Bethesda, which may have been built in 1815, burned in 1943, and it was replaced by a large brick church of impressive design, with stained glass windows and an organ.