The Rev. Thomas Robinson Hartin
Rector of Cambridge Mission of the Church of England
Canterbury Parish, York Co, New Brunswick
Thomas Robinson Hartin was b. [prob. in County Derry1,] Ireland, and sailed from Londonderry, Northern Ireland in 1832, at the age 17 years, and eventually settled in Dumfries2, NB with his brother John and family.
He was a graduate of King's College3 Frederiction, New Brunswick; ordained 15 June 1851 at Christ Church Cathedral in Frederiction by John Medley, Bishop of Frederiction; he became a priest on 21 Feb 1869 also at Christ Church Cathedral by Bishop John Medley.
He was first a a missionary at Canterbury, begining his duties in July 1851, In his report of 1852, he add that in addition to this, the Missionary officiates once a month in the McIllroy Settlement, four miles above Eel River, and occasionally on the east side of the Saint John, in the Parish of Southhampton. He has also extended his visits to the more remote settlements along the river. A year later her adds that he is a visiting missionary to St. Andrews and Quebec Railroad.4 & 5
On 11 September 1875 he & his wife gave 600 acres of their land for the building of Holy Trinity Church in Canterbury. This church was consecrated 13 September 1875, and is still in existence and active today.
His first church, Saint Thomas Parish Church at 8 Keff Road, which was consecrated in 1873. It blew down in a gale while being built and was rebuilt. This church was at Upper Skiff Lake and no longer exists. He also had a pastorate at Eel River.
Parson Hartin died at his home in Canterbury Station. He is buried in the Parish Cemetery, Canterbury, York County, New Brunswick.
1 There is no County Donnelly in Ireland, as his obit states. It is suspect he was born in County Derry, Northern Ireland, as was his brother, Joseph Hartin.
2 Canterbury Parish was set off from portions of Dumfries Parish, and some unassigned lands to the west, so it is more than probable this reference is to the early name for Canterbury.
3 Kings College developed in the University of New Brunswick.
4The History of McAdam (1871-1977) by The McAdam Senior Citizens Historical and Recreational Club)
As far back as October, 1835, a group of inhabitants of the town of St. Andrews met and organized the St. Andrews and Quebec Railroad Association, having in view the building of a railroad between the town of St. Andrews and the city of Quebec in Lower Canada.
Surveys were made between October, 1835, and January, 1836, placing the route through what is now McAdam. For various reasons such as the dispute over the International Boundary between New Brunswick and Maine and financial problems, progress was slow. Due to financial difficulties, the plan was transferred to the New Brunswick Railway and Land Co. on May 1, 1856. (p.165)
5 Diocesan Church Society (DCS) Report, for 1852: & 1853:
28 Mar 2002