The end of a long and active life came suddenly, when on Sunday evening, Samuel Almond passed away. He had been around town Thursday in apparent good health. The three following days he had complained of pain around his heart, and remained at home with Dr. Black in attendance. He was not confined to bed and on Sunday afternoon, joked and chatted with his wife and grandchildren, who had called upon him. At 6 o'clock he went upstairs, Mrs. Almond assisting him in his preparations for bed. When he laid down he complained of an increase in the pain around his heart, then breathed quickly a few times and his spirit had passed from earth. The news of his death was heard with sincere regret throughout the community, where he was universally respected and esteemed.
Samuel Almond was born in Colchester, Essex County, England eighty years ago. With his wife and two daughters he came to St. Andrews in 1852, where he remained six weeks then moving to Chamcook.
On the third of July 1855 he came to St. Stephen and at once entered upon his duties as Superintendent of the new Cemetery then to be opened. He built a camp on the grounds and spent his first summer there, his family joining him in the fall. The first burial there was of Frederick Rose, a son of the late William T. Rose and the second was a son of the Honorable Judge Stevens.
Mr. Almond remained the Superintendent of the Cemetery until his death, and to his knowledge of forestry, horticulture and road building, acquired on some of the large English estates, is due the present beauty of our rural cemetery and the excellent condition of its roads and avenues. The Cemetery was his pride and received as devoted care from him as it would had it been his personal property. He worked there from early morning until late at night and until recent years, attended personally every burial. He established greenhouses at his cottage home opposite to the entrance to the grounds and these soon because famous throughout the neighboring counties. He engaged in the marble and granite business for a number of years, and in this connection, was well and favourable known throughout New Brunswick and eastern Maine, and he acquired considerable means.
This business was purchased a few years ago by Douglas Brothers, his grandsons who now conduct shops in St. Stephen and Calais, Maine.
In the midst of all of his activities, he found time to serve at the Town Council Board for a number of years, rendering valuable service, particularly as Chairman of the Streets Committees. He was a member of the Methodist Church from his earliest manhood and by his strict integrity and kindly, genial disposition, commanded the respect and esteem of all.
By his first wife, whom he married in England and who passed away in 1889, he had two daughters, Mrs. Henry Mitchell of Campobello and Mrs. William Douglas of St. Stephen. There are numerous grandchildren and great grandchildren who survive him.
In 1892 he married Miss Sarah Kelly of Spring Street, Milltown, NB, who also survives him and who has been a helpful companion in his declining years.
During all of his years of labour and business activities, he took to himself but 2 1/2 days for recreation. He found his pleasure in work and set an example of emulation. His good judgment was often sought and freely given to those engaged in the activities of life, while his pleasant smile and cheerful word added pleasure to the lives of the little ones.
The funeral was held yesterday afternoon, the service being
conducted by the Reverent Edward Bell of Oak Bay. A very
large number of our citizens attended to pay a last tribute of
respect to the departed's worth.