Located off route 778 on the left hand side, just before the ferry terminal to Grand Manan. Hike out the road (red gate) to the lighthouse (1/2 km hike). The lighthouse is situated on the south side of Pea Point Island (accessible at low tide) in L'Etang Harbour.
The lighthouse was built in 1877 and began operation on January 1, 1878. The light was originally fixed green catoptric light, elevated 51 feet above high water, and in clear weather could be seen for 10 miles. The building was a wooden square tower, 31 feet high, painted white with an attached keeper's dwelling. The lighthouse was constructed as a guide to the eastern entrance to L'Etang Harbour.
The lighthouse was rebuilt in 1965, as it's present structure. A 10.6 metre tall concrete tower, white in color with a red lamp housing atop the tower. Two houses were also built on the island for the lighthouse keeper and his family. The last lighthouse keeper left the island in the 1980's and soon the homes were either destroyed or sold and removed from the island. The lighthouse is now automated, with fog horn and emergency light. The light can be seen from 12 miles away.
Return to Lighthouses,
Schools, Etc. Page
Return to Pennfield Parish Home Page