Newspaper& Documents write-ups about Carleton County People

Carleton County HomePage

The Carleton Sentinel, The Dispatch and The Press Newspapers were published
in the Town of Woodstock, N.B.

Page 9

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper May 3, 1879
Central Northampton:
The members of " Surprise Lodge" ,U.T.A., elected the following officers for the ensuring term,
at their last meeting:-

Frank K. Blackard President
Miss A. M. Tompkins Vice President
Herbert N. Connell Sec.
W. S. Thompkins Trea.
Miss Louisa M. Rogers S. C.
Miss Adelia F. Cluff J. C.
Robert E. Hemphill Chap.
J. H. Cluff Fin.
F. B. Cluff Mar.
Miss Hattie E. Hemphill Rec.
Miss Lucinda M. Cluff D. M.
John Wolverton, Jr. G.
C. O. Thompkins S.
I. N. Cluff P. P.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper Feb 8, 1879
" Centennial Lodge ", U. T. A., on Tuesday evening the following were installed for the current quarter:-

W. W. Atkinson President
John Buck, Jr. Vice President
Benjamin Garraty Secretary
C. A. Lindow Treasurer
John Graham Financier
G. L. Holyoke Chaplain
R. K. Rogers Marshall
Miss Nettie Barker S.Coun.
Miss Maude Atkinson J. Coun.
Miss Annie Wood Recorder
Miss Annie Jones D. M.
Barry Marshall I. G.
P. A. Watts Sentinel

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper February 8, 1879.
Grafton :
On Thursday evening last,
"Crystal Tide Lodge " elected its officers, for the new term as follows:-

G. W. Hovey President
Miss Annie Shea Vice President
D. J. Longstaff Secretary
Miss Minnie Bacon Recorder
Jer. Bradgon Treasurer
S. H. Shaw Chaplain
Henry Boyer Marshall
Miss Mary Sharp D. Marshall
Miss Grace Hovey S. Coun.
Miss Clara Shea J. Coun.
Fred Sharp Guard
Frank Hovey Sentinel
Geo. Stickney Financier
W. T. Kerr P. P.


Carleton Sentinel Newspaper Nov 15, 1890
We find the following in the Bozeman Montana Chronicle.
The deceased was a daughter of William Hoyt, Rosedale, and her death will be learned with regret by the many friends of her youth:-
At East Flathead, Oct. 20th, 1890, of peritonites, Mrs. Elsie A. Bartow, wife of Ira H. Bartow, aged 89 years. The remains were brought to Bozeman on Thursday and interred here.
Mrs. Bartow came to this country about six years ago with her invalid sister, Mrs. McKenzie, whom she faithly nursed until death came to relief of the sufferer.
Mrs. Bartow was married four years ago and was a faithful and conscientous wife, looking well to the comfort of her beloved husband. She was a rare woman who did everything well and neglected no wifely duty. Her words were few but well chosen.
While not professing regilion publicly her life was a living example of the spirit of Christ. While modest and retiring at all times she was ever found early where a deed of mercy was to be done. Her sorrowing husband has the heart felt sympathy of this community.
Dear Elsie,
A true and tried friend, your memory will always be to your friends a sweet remembrance."
"A Friend"

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper Sept.20, 1879
At the residence of Stephen Chapman, Esq., on the 16th. instant, by Rev. K. McKay.
Wm. F. Burton, of Vanceboro, Me., to Miss Ellen, eldest daughter of Mungo Dickinson, Esq.,of Oak Mountain.

At the residence of her son, T. J. Boyer, Hartland, on the 14th instant.
Mrs. Margaret Boyer, aged 71 years.

On the 11th instant. at Benedicts, Maine, of diphtheria,
John Milmore, aged 49 years.

At Peel, April 15th. of inflammation of the bowels.

Richardson, aged 2 years,1 month and 7 days, eldest son of Andrew H. and Suzanna H. Tracey.

At Upper Woodstock, Sept.14th.,
George M., son of William and Kate Mitchell, aged four months and twelve days.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper May 5, 1911

William Bragdon Shoots Woodman McCluskey---Victim in Dying Condition

Jealous of the attention he supposed was being paid his wife,
William Bragdon drew a revolver and shot Woodman McCluskey through the bowels Wednesday evening about 9.30.

Bragdon had been away from home and upon his return he found McCluskey sitting in the house talking to Mrs. Bragdon and her little child. Some words passed between the men and McCluskey got up and left.

Bragdon followed and after a few words in the yard adjoining the house drew a revolver and fired a shot which entered below the stomach cutting off the intestines.

McCluskey was taken to the Hospital and Dr. Rankin at once began a search for the bullet but was not successful .
At the time of going to press there is little hope of McCluskey's recovery.
Bragdon surrendered himself to Chief Kelly and has been lodged in jail.
At 4 pm. Thursday McCluskey was still alive but his death is looked for at any minute.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper Dec 20th, 1912
William Bragdon who was convicted for shooting and killing Thomas McCluskey on the 3rd of May 911 and was sentenced Oct. 26th to two years and one month in the penitentiary at Dorchester, arrived here Monday, having been released on a ticket-of-leave.
Except for the prison pallor that comes with confinement, Bragdon looks about the same as usual.
His wife met him and it is said they are to live together again.
In answer to a question Bradgon said he would be free, as long as he was "good."
In his trial he was defended by F. B. Carvell, M. P. Hon. H. F. McLeod represented the crown. Judge White presided.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper May 12, 1911

Young Child of Thomas Hourihan Burned to Death.
Louisa, the two year daughter of Thos. Hourihan of Newburg, was fatally burned at her home Wednesday evening about 7 o'clock. The child, with an elder sister, was playing in a room upstairs. The eldest girl was called away for a few minutes and it is supposed the little girl secured some matches which may have been lying about the room.
Mrs Hourihan did not hear any cries but saw smoke coming out of the window and called to her husband, who ran upstairs, fearing that the room was afire. When he arrived upstairs he found the little body of the child lying face downward between the bed and the wall.
Dr Prescott was immediately summoned and arrived as soon as possible, but the child died shortly after his arrival.
Much sympathy is expressed for the parents in the loss. Undertaker A 0 Day has charge of the funeral arrangements.

W. R. Snow Suffocated in Boston Hotel Fire
Carleton Sentinel Newspaper March 13, 1914

Three Others Severely Injured and Hundreds Had Narrow Escape
Mr. Snow Left Here a Week Ago to Visit Friends
Burial at St. Andrews
Deep Regret at Untimely Death of Well Known Citizen

The town was shocked when the news reached here Friday morning of the tragic death of W . R. Snow in a fire in the Quincy hotel, Boston. The deceased had left here a few days previously to make a visit he had been contemplating for the past year. The remains were brought to St. Andrews on Monday where interment was made.

Knights of Pythias had charge of the funeral and the following representatives of Ivanhoe Lodge, Woodstock were present: William Balmain, Fred Cowan, Walter Stone and Frank Foster.

Harry Noble and Roy Snow, relatives, went down to attend the funeral.
Snow, brother of deceased went to Boston and accompanied the body to St. Andrews.
Mr. Snow by his amiable qualities and hearty good nature had made many friends who will deeply regret his sudden death under such sad circumstances.

Wm. R. Snow was the son of Joshua Snow of this town.

When a young man he enlisted in the Maine cavalry and fought through the Civil War.
During that trying period he was attached for a while to the Staff of General Grant. Only one of local men who were in the Maine Cavalry with deceased is now alive. Returning after peace was declared he was in business here for awhile,
when he was married to Miss Ella Martin, and shortly afterwards he removed to the States where he was in the shoe business.
His second wife was Carrie Dawson who died some years ago.
For a couple of years he was Chief of Police of the town. He then conducted a steam laundry here for some years. Disposing of it, he retired from business and has been leading a quiet life. He has been receiving a large pension from the United States.

In the account the fire the Post says:
The top of the Quincy House, one of Boston's most famous hotels, was swept by fire at about 9 o'clock last evening, killing one man, injuring a dozen persons, and literally throwing cold water on the manifold festivities of the hotel.

W. R. Snow, a wealthy, retired business man of Woodstock, N.B., , was scorched to death in his bed in one of the 60 rooms on the sixth floor, through which the fire burned.

That many others did not perish was due the pluck of "Scotty" McKay, the elevator boy, who ran his car again and again to the rescue through smoke and fire, and went back a last time despite orders from the firemen, to drag out blind Fred Wheeler, who he alone in the panic remembered was helpless on the burning floor. On "Scotty's" last trip the elevator actually caught fire, and returned to the ground and safety he was badly burned about the neck and shoulders.
Deputy Fire Chief McDonough estimated the loss, including water damage, which affected most parts of the hotel, at $50,000.
Four banquet parties were driven out in the midst of sedate speeches when water began to pour down into the saloons. Over 350 guests from the lower floors poured into the lobby with their valuables, but were quickly calmed, as it became evident that the worst they would receive was a wetting from the floods being poured into the top of the building.

With flames leaping through the roof when the first firemen arrived, a second and then a third alarm were turned in quick succession.

John J. McCarty, one of the proprietors of the hotel, shared with "Scotty" McKay, the elevator boy, the fire hero role.

Finds Girl helpless in Smoke
He recalled that Miss Katherine Kirby, one of the checkers was asleep her room. Plunging through the smoke filled corridors, he found her lying have unconscious, and, almost overcome himself, managed to get her out.
The firemen did not escape without paying their toll of injury. District Chief Fox had his right eye badly burned by dripping molten lead, but the eye probably will be saved. Other firemen suffered badly from the smoke.

Snow, the fire victim, was apparently so overcome by smoke in his sleep that he had no chance of escape. The fire then ran through his room blackening his body. By some strange freak of the blaze, while the clothes of the bed o which he lay, his body, and the whole interior of the room were blackened by the flame, the place on the bed covered by his body and the spot on which his head rested on the pillow were as white and fresh as if it the sheet and slip had been newly laundered.
Little could be learned about him last night. He was somewhat of a mystery even to the hotel people.

He registered at the Quincy House Feb. 27 and appeared to be a prosperous retired business man enjoying a vacation in Boston. He had told that he was 68 years old and possessed of some property, but said nothing of any relatives.
Press newspaper article about William R. Snow 's death at



Twenty or More Buildings Wiped Out in an Hour
Loss About $25,000 with Little Insurance
Outside Help Came to Rescue of Village.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper May 19, 1911

Peel, N.B. May 16
With the wind blowing a hurricane and everything dry as tinder from the prolonged drought, a fire caught on tile roof of a house today owned by
Herbert Clark and occupied by himself and Howard Boyd, and after an hour of hard fighting some twenty building are in ashes, a score are homeless, and there is a monetary loss of nearly $25,000.
The fire is supposed to have caught from a burning flue. And the beautiful residence with contents and the buildings adjoining were swept away entailing a loss of $5,000, with only $700 insurance.

W W Mellville
lost a barn and contents, with small insurance.

Harry Carr's
building and contents were wiped out with a loss of $1,000 or $1,200, with small insurance.

The buildings owned by
Mr. Ross were saved with difficulty, but a large barn owned by Manzer Clark was burned with its contents. His house was also damaged to the extent of about $200.

Arch Hatfield lost his house and everything he owned, ,entailing a loss of about $1,500.

The fire leapt from these to
the McIntosh house, occupied by John Thomas. This stand was formerly the Isaac Tompkins' place. The buildings are a total loss. Some furniture was saved.

The fire worked back and caught in
Thomas McRae's fine new barn building and as a result his excellent house, two sheds, three barns, machinery, and furniture were burned. The loss is $5,000 with $6oo insurance.

Clark Craig had 1,500,000 lath stored at the C P R tracks, which were wiped out, with no insurance,. Mr Craig was called from this fire to one at Charleston,where his mill was threatened.

Many other buildings were endangered in the conflagration but the river was close at hand and the telephone brought crowds from every quarter and the conflagration was stopped.

Dispatch Newspaper Aug. 20, 1902.
A Woodstock boy who has Prospered in the West.

B.F. McLean, Mayor of Wichita, Kansas, an old Woodstock boy is in town visiting his friends.
Mr. McLean was born just a few miles below town.
He learned the harness making business and when about eighteen years old he opened a shop at Hartford,Lockhart's mill.
After conducting the business for about four years he thought his education rather incomplete and sold out and went to Jacksonville where he went to school to W. M. Miller.

Then he borrowed money from his friends and went to Poughkeepsie where he attended business college. After graduating there he again made a loan, this time from his school friends at Poughkeepsie, and hit the trail for Wichita to make his fortune.

He started to work in the retail lumber business for S. D. Pallett, his only remuneration at first being his board and clothes. After a while his salary was increased and Mr.McLean worked away with Mr. Pallett for eight years, doing good hard work and taking care of his money, until at the end of that time he was able to buy out the lumber yard.

Business prospered with him until at present he owns 8 lumber yards and is rated in Bradstreet's at $125,000.

Mr. McLean's many old friends in Woodstock and vicinity are more than glad to see him after an absence of twenty years, and are extending to him all the hospitalities they know. They are all proud of a fellow Woodstocker who by brains,energy and a fine sense of honour has prospered so very well.
Though it would be impossible to wean Mr. McLean from his allegiance to his new country it is hoped that he will have the time and inclination to visit his native town frequently and stay long.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper Oct. 13, 1877
The following roll of aged people, now living in Richmond, South, has been furnished us by Mr. John Wills.
There are 51 names, with an aggregate of 4,049 years, or an average of nearly 80 years each.
We doubt if in the same area an equal number of as aged people can be found in the Province.
It is possible that some mistakes occur in transcribing the names; if so,we will gladly rectify them:
Names ........AGES
John McGee,-100
Mary Killim, -96
John Blew, -94
John Tobin, -84
Patrick Shields,-85
Jane Carr,-85
John McMonagle,-84
Margaret McFadden, -84
John Duff, Sen.,-83
Sarah Kirkpatrick, -83
Robert Forest,Sen. -83
Catherine Woodworth -82
Mrs. Slater,-82
Josiah Gidney, -81
Silvenus Knolton, -81
Mrs.Silvenus Knolton -81
John Duff, Jr., -81
Edward McCafferty, -79
Jas. Carson, -79
Jane Benn,-79
John Pritchard,-78
Mrs. Cochran,-78
Bridget McMonagle,-78
Mrs. Kirk, -78
Mrs. Springer,-78
Margaret McMonagle, -78
Robert Blackey, -78
Maria McKenzie,-77
John Curry, -77
M. O'Donnell,- 77
Mrs. Gentle,-77
Benjamin Dougherty, -77
John Guy -76
Jas. Connell,-76
Patk. McIntyre, -76
--------Carpenter, -76
Margaret Yerxa, -76
Blackwell Lawrence,-76
Neal McFadden, -76
Martha Green, -76
Sarah McCanna, -76
Isabella, Johnston, -76
Geo. Ivery, -76
Anthony Blackey,-75
Mrs. Cain, -74
Wm. Crawford, -73
Sampson Ivery,-72
Thos. Kirkpatrick, -71
John Wills,-70



Carleton County Home Page