Newspaper& Documents write-ups about Carleton County People

Carleton County HomePage

The Carleton Sentinel, The Dispatch and The Press Newspapers were published
in the Town of Woodstock, N.B.


Carleton Sentinel Newspaper May 2, 1896
South Richmond Items
Quite a gloom was cast over South Richmond, late on Friday afternoon last, when the sad intelligence reached here that James Kennedy, only son of Mr. and Mrs. James Kennedy of Monument, had been drowned while stream driving in New Hampshire. The remains of this very promising , much esteemed and greatly lamented young man, who was between 29 and 30 years of age at the time of his death, were brought home on Saturday night, and interred in Kirkland cemetery on Sunday, in the presence of a large gathering of deeply sympathizing friends.
The Rev J Home of Glassville, who was filling Rev T Corbett's pulpit in his absence, conducted religious services at the grave and in the Presbyterian church, preaching from Matt iii. x. The church it is needless to say, was crowded to overflowing, as the deceased had been long and much beloved by all who knew him. The deepest sympathy is felt in all quaters for the bereaved and sorrowing parents, sisters and other friends of the household of mourning, of which he was a very affectionate member.



Carleton Sentinel Newspaper March 21, 1896
A Stabbing Affray
An affray occurred at the Queen hotel, Thursday evening of last week, which might have had a much more serious ending. It would appear that on the evening named, Michael Courtney, Thomas Courtney and James Bonar, entered the Queen hotel and tried to pick a quarrel with the clerk, Arvard Tompkins. Finally they became so unruly that the clerk ejected them from the hotel; when he started to close the door on them they made a fresh attack upon him; his brother, Joel Tompkins, seeing the state of affairs came to his assistance.

During the struggle
James Bonar used a knife, striking Arvard Tompkins on the bridge of the nose, causing a slight scratch and glancing entered between the left shoulder and neck, cutting a wound a wound an inch long and one inch deep.

Joel Tompkins escaped from the melee with a broken hand. James Bonar and Thomas Courtney were arrested while Michael Courtney made his escape.

Bonar and Courtney was tried before Police Magistrate Dibblee, found guilty and sentenced, the former to six months imprisonment in goal, the latter to one month. J. R. Murphy, Esq., conducted the prosecution; F. B. Carvell defended the prisoners.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper April 4, 1896
Death of Horace E. Fleming
Kansas City, Kan, papers of the date of March 24th, comes to us, containing the melancholy intelligence of the death of Horace E. Fleming. He will be remembered by many of the Sentinel readers as having been born and brought up in Bloomfield, this County. The following particulars of his death will prove sadly interesting to his many friends in this section:-
Shortly before 2 o'clock Sunday morning Horace E. Fleming was removed from his home at 504 West Tenth street to All Saints' hospital to be operated on for appendicitis.
He died at 8:15 o'clock yesterday morning, as the result of the operation , which was performed by Drs. J. W. Perkins, C. Lester Hall and H. C. Crowell as a last resort to save his life.

Mr. Fleming was conscious almost up to the time of his death. He was fully prepared to die and told those about him that he had no fear. He had taken an active part in the Democratic primaries and last Saturday morning said he felt indisposed, and decided to remain home all day. The first attack of abdominal pains occurred at 8 o'clock Saturday night, and the serious nature of the trouble was soon apparent. Mr. Fleming, strangely enough, seemed to know that the end was near.
"My day has come," he said, "but it must come to all men and I may as well die now as at any other time."

Mr. Fleming has served at different times on the Democratic city, county and Congressional committes, having been treasurer of the latter. He was a member of the city committee from the third ward until the convention Saturday morning.

In 1894 he was appointed assistant postmaster by Mr. Reed, but did not take the place, nor had he ever served in any public office. He was in the rental and loan business with an office on the tenth floor of the New York Life building, and had the confidence of many Eastern capitalists whose money he loaned in large sums.

His brother, Fred Fleming
, is State oil inspector for this district, and is well-known in political and business circles. He is major of the First battalion of the Third regiment.

Horace E Fleming was 35 years of age January 31. He was born in Carleton Co.,N.B., close to the American border. His early boyhood was spent in his native county, and in the early 70's he went to Texas and afterward to Montana, where he engaged in the mining business.

In 1884 he came to Kanas City, and had resided here continousally since. He married, in 1887, Miss Jennie Brackney, who was here from Michigan, visiting relatives at the time, who survives him. There is one child, a girl, Florence, 4 years old. One brother, Robert, resides in New York city. A sister is Mrs. Nason of Kansas City, Kan. The parents recently came here from the East and are living with Mrs. Nason. Horace Fleming had a wide circle of personal friends.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper Feb 22, 1896
Sudden Death
On Sunday afternoon, at her residence in Pembroke,
Mrs. Rigby Shaw died very suddenly, while preparing for Sabbath school.
Deceased was the only surviving child of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas W Watson. She was greatly esteemed for her engaging qualities and for her activity in the various departments of church work; she was 38 years old.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper Feb 15, 1896
George Baker, son of S. T. Baker formerly of the Sentinel office, returned home from Dallas, Texas , Monday after an absence of six years. For three years he was in the U. S. Cavalry; last summer he played professional base ball in the Texas League holding down the second base. He and the late Samuel Stephenson, who played in Marinette Wisconsin, are the only two professional base ballists our town has produced, George will remain here some months.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper Feb 15 1896
Recent Deaths
We have to record several deaths as having occurred within a week in this town and vicinity.

On the 5th inst
James Dugan, proprietor of the Exchange Hotel here, died, aged 70 years. Mr. Dugan was well known, having for many years been in the hotel business at Lower Woodstock and in Town.

On the same date, died at his residence, Florenceville, after a brief illness,
Wilfred Birmingham.

On Thursday, 6th,
Miss Frances Louise Sawyer died at Upper Woodstock aged 50 years. She leaves a brother, Eli, with whom she lived, Howard, who resides in Bonham, Texas, and a sister here, Mrs. S. Watts.

On last Saturday night,
Hugh Graham departed this life, 81 years of age. The largest part of his life was spent in Woodstock, where he was well known. In the earlier days he was an expert navigator of the St. John river above Fredericton. He leaves a son, Mr. John Graham merchant of Woodstock, and five daughters.

This community, where the earlier years of her life were passed, was greatly pained to learn of the death at her home in Centreville on Saturday night, of
the wife of Rev. J. E. Flewelling, aged 39 years.
Mrs. Flewelling was a daughter of the late John Balloch
. She was greatly beloved by all who came within the circle of her influence in her home and society. She leaves three sons and seven daughters for whom, as for Mr. Flewelling, unbounded sympathy is felt. The funeral took place on Tuesday at Centreville and was attended by a large cortege.

Feb 15, 1896 C S Newspaper
Mrs. Wm. Balmain was called to St. John, suddenly, last week by a telegram announcing the sudden illness of her brother Robert. Death claimed him for his victim before his sister reached his bedside.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper Feb 8, 1896
At Woodstock, February 1 st., by Rev. C. T. Phillips,
Alexander A. Allan, of Portland, Me., and Mrs. Salome Shaw, of Woodstock, N. B.

DIED Newspaper Feb 8, 1896
It becomes our painful duty to report the death of brother
James Henry Clarke, of Lower Wakefield, who died January 19, 1896, aged 83 years and 9 months, and was buried on the 21st ult. He was born in New Canaan, and came to this County about 60 years ago. Brother Clarke professed religion and was baptized by the late E J Harris, of precious memory, into the first Baptist Church ever organized in Carleton County, located at Victoria Corner, about ?0 years ago before his death. He leaves a widow and four children, with a large number of relatives and acquaintances to mourn their loss. At the time of his death he was a member of the Baptist Church at Lower Wakefield. His memory will linger long with all who knew him. His funeral sermon was preached by the writer, from 2 Cor 5:1-5. Revds T. Todd, C. T. Phillips and Downey were present and assisted in the services. May God sustain the afflicted.
His pastor,
J. C. Bleakney

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper Feb 8, 1896
Snow 's Laundry
W. R. Snow, it will be remembered, was burned out by fire that occurred on King street last fall. At once Mr. Snow set to work to secure new quaters and finally determined to erect a building for the purpose of his laundry. He selected a lot on Emerald street, next to the roller rink, and has now completed thereon a building sufficiently large and very conveniently arranged for the purpose of his increasing business.
All the machinery is placed on the ground floor and it is surprising to note the economy of space shown, in enabling so many different machines to be placed in so, comparatively, small quaters, and still leave sufficient space between each one as to avoid any crowding. The power is derived from a 15 h.p. engine, the exhaust steam from which heats the water in a 300 gallon tank, upstairs, and which is drawn therefrom as wanted by pipes leading down to the stationary tubs, used chiefly for washing flannels, which is done- and this is an important item- entirely by hand. The other machinery comprises two washers, each capable of washing 100 shirts at a time; a steam starch kettle; collar and cuff drier; and ingeniously contrived four armed starch table; close to this table are steam drying racks for shirts, collars and cluffs and curtains; mangle; collar and cuff and neck band ironer, these being heated with gasoline; a shirt press; collar and cuff shaper, etc. There is a convenient sorting room and office, and every portion of the work is constantly under the eye of the overseer.
And now as the last important addition to this establishment is a 15 light dynamo, by which the entire building is brilliantly lighted. Taken as a whole, we doubt if there is a more thoroughly or conveniently fitted up laundry in the province. Mr. Snow's enterprise, especially as the character of his laundry work is excellent, deserves an increasingly large patronage. The fitting up and placing the above machinery and electric plant, was done by Small & Fisher Co.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper Jan 11, 1896
Sad Drowning Accident
Josie S Wilson, eleven years old, son of Joseph E. Wilson of Houlton, Maine, was drowned Tuesday morning , Dec 31, between 10 and 11 o'clock, in the Meduxnakik stream just above Mr. Henery Sincock's saw mill. He had gone with his brother Frank to deliver the milk to the family living in Mr. Sincock's house near the mill, and he told his brother that he was going to see if there was any water on the ice where they were the day before. His brother watched him till he got to the place which was about forty rods above the mill. He looked out again in about fifteen minutes, but could not see anything of him and thought he had come back and gone into the mill where the men were to work.
He came up home without him and his mother asked him where Josie was and he told her he had gone out to try the ice and he guessed he was in the mill; she told him not to make any delay, but to go and see, for the wind had been blowing a gale and it was raining and hailing. He went down to the mill, but could not find anything of him and came back and told his mother, she put on her wraps and went down and one of the mill men said they would go and see if there was any place he could get in, and about 30 feet from where his brother last saw him there was a hole where it is supposed he was coming back and the wind had swept him into the hole.
His father was to town and one of the men took a horse and went after him, he soon arrived at the stream and Mr. Sincock and his men began to search to find him, but could not find any trace of him until about 3 o'clock in the afternoon, when Mr. Sincock found his cap about three feet from the hole where they first supposed he had gone in; they grappled till dark, but did not find him.
The next morning, at the request of Mr. H. Sincock, the fire bell was rung to collect a crowd, and the firemen, with other helpers, went to the stream and began searching for him.
Mr. Charles Wilson soon arrived at the stream and offered a reward of $25 to the finder of the body; about 9 o'clock Mr. H. Sincock grappled up his handkerchief and then they knew about where he was; they discharged dynamite in order to jar the logs and break up the ice, and they kept grappling until noon, when most of them went to their dinner, but soon returned and at 2 o'clock Mr. M Small recovered the body. Every person who helped to recover the body has the many thanks of the afflicted parents.
Their daughter, Mrs. N. B. Plummer, who lives in Boston, was telegraphed to and arrived Thursday night. The services were held at the house, Friday, at 2 o'clock, p.m. The sermon was preached by Rev. John Nason, the Free Baptist.
The body was deposited in the vault,where it will remain until snow comes, where it will be removed to Summerfield, Carleton county, N. B.

Jan 11, 1896
We notice that our young friend,
LeBaron Thompson, formerly of this town, has been promoted to the postion of purser in the splendid new steamer of the I. S. S. Co., the St. Croix. Mr. Thompson has been in the employ of the Company 18 years.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper Jan 11, 1896
The Last Sad Rites
It is the painful duty of the Sentinel to chronicle
the death of James B. McRae, which took place at his residence, Tuesday evening, in the 52 year of his age. The death was not unexpected, as he had been confined to his house for about a month, with a complication of diseases including dropsy, and no hopes of recovery had been entertained by the doctors. A large procession of citizens accompanied the remains to St. Gertrude's church, Thursday morning, where religious services were celebrated by Rev. Father Chapman; the interment was made in the new Catholic cemetery.
For a quarter of a century, Mr. McRae had carried on a tailoring establishment in the town and his dealings with customers were honorable, while his big-hearted and off handed manner made him many friends, who will sincerely regret his death. A widow and large family are mourners.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper Jan 4, 1896
The warm days seem to have affected some of our widowers, as Mr. J BeDell was united in matrimony last week, by Rector Neales, to Mrs. Murphy. Mrs. M became his third and probably last wife.

Mr. Chas Long was up and carried off Miss Effie Ervin of Hillandale. After the knot had been " well and truly " tied by Elder Fitzpatrick, the happy couple left in a shower of rice for Boston and New York for their honeymoon.

On Sabbath afternoon
the remains of the late Frank B Street were laid to rest in the Methodist grave yard. The services at house and grave were conducted by Rev W R Pepper. Orangemen from local Lodges marched with the procession and rendered the beautiful and impressive burial service of the order at conclusion of the other service. The sympathy of the community is with the bereaved widow, his widowed mother and brothers and sisters, His remains were brought up from Houlton on Saturday evening accompanied by friends.
Your readers will, no doubt, recollect that this was the young man whose leg was broken in Houlton by a kick of a horse.

Jan 4, 1896
steam saw mill owned by Mr Jas E Porter, M P P, was burned early on Sunday morning. Orgin of fire at present unknown. There was no insurance. His loss will be quite heavy.

On Saturday last,
Mr. Howard Estey had one of his feet badly crushed in a hay press, at which he was working for H. H. McCain at Florenceville. Dr. Ross attended.

Thane M. Jones is home from Providence, R. I., where he made provision for the publication of an illustrated book for children, a book just completed by him, and which we have no doubt will be very popular among books of its class.

A very worthy and estimable resident of Florenceville,
Mr. Hugh Parlee, died at the residence of his son, Rev. Mr. Parlee, Westfield, Kings Co., on Saturday last. Mr. Parlee had gone to spend the winter with his son; he had been in failing health for some time. He was 65 years old.

Jan 4, 1896
Hartland Items
The new "
Commercial Hotel ", which is directly opposite the C P R depot, will be opened to the public in a few days, and will prove a boon to the travelling public. This building is entirely new and has been fitted up regardless of expense. It is heated throughout by furnace; rooms airy and large, sample room on the ground floor. Many travellers will find their many wants supplied on short notice. The proprietor, Mr. A W Rideout, intends to run a first-class hotel, second to none in the province.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper Jan 12,, 1895
To the Municipality of the County of Carleton:-
Gentlemen,-Herewith I submit my
annual report of convictions secured under the Scott Act, and other work performed by me as Inspector.
Convictions made :-

Jan 94 Charles A Phillips 1 1st offence
  Owen Saunders 1 do
  James Doherty 2 do
Feb John Williamson 1 do
  James H Wilbur 8 do
  Thomas Kelly 1 do
March Michael Cummings 1 do
April George Ellsworth 1 do
  J Alward 1 do
May James Cummings 1 do
June George Ellsworth 2 do
July Fred Thompkins 4 do
  Lee Ryan 1 do
  Mary Donnelly 2 do
  William Carroll 1 do
  John Stewart 1 do
Dec William Waugh 1 do
  Thomas McCafferty 2 do
  John Stewart 1 do
  C A McKeen 2 do
  John Atherton 1 do
  R H Seaborn 1 do
  Owen Saunders 1 2nd offence
  John McFarlane 1 do
  J T Garden 1 2nd, 1 1st
  Whitfield Giberson 8 1st offence
  Grace Sligar 1 do

Total convictions made-Thirty-seven first offences; three second offences.
The total amount of fines imposed since January 18, 1894, $2,150.
There has been paid to me on convictions made by me:-
Michael Cummings, $87 00
James H. Wilbur $186 00
C A Phillips $50 00
Thomas Kelly $50 00
Whit Giberson $100 00

___________________$873 00
And I have received from convictions made previous to January '94.
W F Seaborn $47 00
Oscar Dugan $154 00
Whit Giberson $50 00 / 251 00

__________________ ______
Total collected by me. $624 00
There has been paid Mr. Dibblee on convictions by me:
James C Doherty $100 00
John Williamson ....$50 00 / $150 00

And he has received on old convictions :
Charles Stephenson $100 00
Vincent Kelly............. $50 00 / 150 00

Total paid on convictions during year, $924 00.
During the year search warrants have been taken out for the following places :-
Thompkins, Queen Hotel, twice;
Kelly Place , twice;
Cummings and Travis, one each - but no liquor was secured;
At Mrs. Donnelley's; W. Giberson; W. Waugh; Thos. McCaffery and John Stewart, a large quantity of liquor was secured and taken from Giberson, Waugh, McCaffery and Stewart has been condemned and destroyed by order of the court.

I have received as shown within for convictions, $624 00
From Sec. Treas., on order of court $185 00
______________________________________$809 00
I have paid Sec. Treas., $195 00
Expense account submitted $857 15
One year's salary $400 00 / $952 15
________________________________Bal. due me, $143 15
Informations have been laid in December against twenty-four violations of the Act, but, as yet, we have not succeeded in serving the parties.
In addition to the convictions secured, informations were laid against 25 violations of the Act, but no convictions were had, the cases were dismissed or abandoned and, in some cases, the persons against whom the informations was, left the country.
(Signed )
Bamfred Colpitts

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper May 21, 1887
Fatal Accident
Mr. David Robinson, of Lower Brighton, met with a painful accident on the 13th.,inst. which resulted in his death on the 19th. He was engaged in fence-building and had a man helping him; his assistant was on the opposite side of the fence, driving a stake with all his force, when his axe flew from the handle, in its swift course striking Robinson in the knee, opening the knee pan and inflicting a terrible gash in the flesh and bone.

Dr. Colter was called and dressed the wound; the following day he and Dr. Connell in consultation advised the amputation of the leg, but to this the patient would not consent;

On Thursday morning his spirit passed away;

The deceased leaves a widow and small family, who have universal sympathy in this their dark hour.

May 21, 1887
St. Mark's Episcopal Church was brilliantly illuminated Thursday evening last, on the occasion of the marriage of
Mr. Chester F. Butterfield, foreman of the Democrat office to Miss Mary ? Dougherty, of Benton, N.B.
A large company were assembled to witness the ceremony, which was performed, at ? o 'clock, by Rev. Medville McLaugui?, rector.
The bride was attired in a charming costume, and Chester looked in every way the ideal groom. After the ceremony, the happy pair were cordially greeted by relatives and immediate friends, who bestowed upon them abundant wishes of future happiness.
The friends of Chester Butterfield, comprising the whole force of the Sentinel, presented him with a nice marble-top table, as a token of their good wishes on the occasion of his marriage.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper Oct 22, 1864
List of Letters
Remaining in Post Office, Woodstock, Oct. 15, 1864.

Beardsley Charles A Kewal B E
Bull Charles M
Breen Mrs. Mary Miller Joel
Bumsid M McGlin Patrick
Briggs George McEwen Margaret
Black S S N
C Nash Samuel
Churchill Israel Nelson Charles
Connell F H P
D Pently James
Daggett Edward R
Dickinson Solomon Russell James Y
Ferguson M E Sands M
Frame George Snow Benj M
G Smith O Delancy
Graven Mary T
Grant John ? Tweedie S. A.
Granger Joseph Thompson Daniel
Grimbey Barney Taber Mrs. S
Griffen Wm W
H Whenman John
Holmes G N Whichscott Miss
Howard Edward White W
  Walker George
  Jas. Grover, P. M.

Persons calling for any of the above Letters will please say "advertised."

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper Oct 1, 1864
At New York on the 20th of June, by the Rev. R. C. Patney,
Mr. John F. Disbrow of Hoboken, New Jersey, to Miss Maggie Cook, of Woodstock, New Brunswick.

At Wakefield, on the 13th ult., by the Rev. J. C. Bleakney,
Mr. John W. Blake, of Woodstock, to Miss Adelaide Foster, of Wakefield. (We received the customary, complimentary remembrance, and return our best wishes for future happiness).

At Upper Woodstock on the 19th Sept.,
Clarissa Jane, daughter of David Phillips, aged 4 years.

At Wakefield, on the 10th. inst., of Typhoid Fever,
Langley S., youngest son of Cornelius and Frances Phillips, in the 20th year of age.

At Jacksontown, on the 18th ult.,
the youngest son of N. Sharkey, aged 2 years and 5 months.
Affliction sore, short time he bore,
Physician's aid was vain;
'Till God was pleased to give him ease,"
And take him from his pain.


Carleton Sentinel Newspaper Nov 12, 1864
Two of our leading citizens have, during the week, met with accidents quite serious, but from the effect of which they are providentially recovering.

Mr. W. F. Dibblee, who is engaged on the railway survey with Mr. Buck, fell into the cellar of the boarding house at which the party stopped at Richmond, and very narrowly escaped with a severe contusion of a hand and arm, and a violent shock to his whole system.

Col. Tupper, by a misstep on the stairs of the Barker House, Fredericton, was thrown violently down the steps some distance, badly cutting an eye and temple, but fortunately without internal injury.

Both these gentlemen, we are glad to know, are doing well, and will soon be able to attend to ordinary business.

The Burglary Case
Carleton Sentinel Newspaper Jan 2, 1864

On Saturday, last, 26th ult., Theophilus Everett and James Bannan were brought before Mr. Justice Bedell, charged with having burglariously entered the store of Hugh Hay, in Woodstock, on the evening of the 20th, and stolen therefrom a quantity of goods, the property of the said Hugh hay. On being arraigned the prisoners pleaded not guilty.

Mr. Hay on being sworn testified that he was told Sunday morning that his shop had been broken into; found, on examination, that a large quantity of goods had been taken; money in silver of variuos denomination and cents, to the amount of perhaps $40, had got back the silver; the marks of a pung track were visible at the door in the snow; with Mr. Wm. Balloch followed this track up river to Hayden's Ferry, crossing the river there, and thence to a barn on the Coldstream, standing apart from any dwelling house, in which we found some of the goods; following the track from that it led to the house of James Bannan; had heard the first mentioned barn belonged to Everett; found some of the missing goods in the house and some in an out-building; took Bannan with us to the barn (before Visited) when he showed us some more articles; then went to Mr. Everett's house; Everett gave up the silver; Mr. Balloch found some some of the goods in Everett's house; we then brought the prisoners down to gaol; met the Sheriff at Victoria Corner, who took charge of them; in the barn found at first 2 half chests of tea; in Bannan's house found 2 dress patterns value of $3.25 and $4, an overcoat $7, and some other small articles; in the pung found a spirit level value $1.75, and cotton warp value $3.50; in out-building found a buffalo robe value $12.50 -(this was not my property although taken from my store.

At the first barn, on the second visit with Bannan, we took out the tea, value about $30, Bannan then showed us some boots, value $8, some shoes, 2 bundles cotton warp, some red flannell, striped shirting and some other goods; when we went from there to Mr. James Everett's found Theophilus Everett there; Mr. Balloch went in and brought Theophilus out, I asked him if he had the silver, at first he hesitated, I told him he must have it for it had been taken and Bannan said he had none of it, he then took from his pocket the silver and handed it to Mr. Balloch, it was not counted, he (Everett) said he had one dollar of his own amongst it and we let him keep that.
Mr. Balloch went into the house with him and they brought out some goods, they were my goods but I don't remember the items; they said, or Bannan said in presence of Everett, that they took the goods out of my store, that they were drunk when they did it; they did not appear drunk then; on Monday I entered a complaint, applied for a search warrant because there was a large quantity of goods that had not been found; a large quantity has not yet been found.

Sheriff Dibblee, sworn, committed prisoners under warrant as stated by Hay; got the search warrant from Mr. Justice Bedell on Monday morning; went to J. Bannan's house, searched house and out-buildings, found nothing there of Hay's; then went to the barn on the Coldstream and found the goods, here shown, viz, Boots, shawl, fur victorine-these Mr. Hay identified as his-found some spools of thread in Bannan's barn, near his house, a key found in ??????, Mr. Hay supposes to be his (Lost some time ago), another key was found in Bannan's trunk which Mr. Martin supposes to be his.

Mr. M. P. Martin stated that he had some time since lost a key of his shop, and believed the one now produced to be his.
Mr. Hay was recognised to appear at the next Court of Oyer and Terminer, for this County, to prefer a bill of indictment against the prisoners. Sheriff Dibblee was likewise recognised to appear and give evidence. The prisoners were then remanded and the Court adjourned, to some future day, in order to get the testimony of Mr. Balloch, who was not present.

On Monday the prisoners were again brought into Court, and Mr. Balloch being sworn, gave evidence corroborating that already given by Mr. Hay. The prisoners were then fully committed to await their trial at the next Supreme Court.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper May 23, 1891
Sad and Fatal Accident to a Carleton County Boy
On the 8th., there occurred at the hospital in Minneapolis,
the death of John Albert Kilpatrick of Greenfield, aged 38 years. Mr. Kilpatrick at the time of the accident which resulted in his death, was closing the work of his 17th winter in the woods, 15 of these winters having been spent in the West.
According to custom in the United States,
he together with two of his brothers, George and Hugh, was clearing up some of the ground on which they had lumbered. It was the last day of this work. But before he close a tree was observed falling towards John. He ran to escape it, but tripped, and the tree falling upon him broke his leg. It was quite a long distance to Grand Rapids, where lived the nearest doctor. Thither the wounded man was conveyed as rapidly as circumstances would permit.

Arrived there the doctor was of the opinion that the leg might be saved, and treatment with this end in view was for a day or two given, but the sufferer growing worse his brothers conveyed him to Minneapolis. The doctors at the hospital there
decided that amputation was necessary.

After the operation every care was exercised to effect the recovery of the patient. A nurse was provided.
The two brothers, one during the day, the other during the night, never for a moment left him. Everything that their afflicted brother craved was brought to him, it was decided that if money could save him, freely should it be spent. But all was of no avail. Blood poisoning set in, and after six weeks of suffering, death ensued.

Fifteen years ago young Kilpatrick first went West. Once only since then did he visit his home, and that was several years ago. He was a quiet, steady, industrious, economical young man; one who minded his own business, and had won many friends. To human eyes he was in a fair way to purchase for himself a good property at an early date, should he so decide; pay cash for it, and settled down with satisfactory prospects. But this was not the will of God.

Last winter he had written his mother that it was his last winter in the woods. How pathetic in the light of recent facts is now that message. Of its possible import, he probably had not the remotest thought. But his work was nearly down, and soon God called him hence. That message he sent home, that last day of clearing up the lumber ground, that fatal tree, that death in the hospital all with solemn authoritative eloquence proclaim the message. "Be ye also ready; for in such an hour as ye think not, the Son of Man Commeth."

It is suited to be of sweet comfort to the bereaved mother and brothers at home, that the deceased was the object of the tender sympathy of many friends in Minneapolis. A lady with whom for 3 or 4 summers he had boarded, went to the hospital to see him, taking him some nice flowers. His pleasure at seeing her will ever repay her for having made him that visit. A number of friends made up quite a sum of money for him, not that he needed it, but this was the way they chose whereby to show him the sympathy they wished to express. Though he needed not the money, their kindness was commendable.

It was
" gold tried in the fire " that John needed just then. This gift the One who owns all was ready to furnish. Of this we are sure. What transactions took place between the two we are not told of; John is gone.

A beautiful spot in the cemetery of Minneapolis contains his remains. The services at the funeral which took place from Westminister church on the afternoon of Sabbath the 10th inst., were conducted by a Presbyterian minister, Rev. Mr. Burrell.
D. Fiske

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper May 23 1891
Three boys, Wallace Taylor, Edgar Taylor and Geo. Buck, while fooling with some powder last week, were badly burned. Wallace Taylor and Buck had their eyes and faces badly burned, while Edgar Taylor's injuries were but slight. Dr. Smith called.

May 23 1891
A house, at Northampton,
owned by James Wolverton and occupied by Fred Porter, with shed and storehouse, was destroyed by fire on the night of the 14th inst. The fire caught from a spark falling from the chimney on the roof. Total loss on buildings, $2,500; insured for $1,500. Mr. Porter lost, in furniture, some $40.

May 23 1891
W. B. Donnell, son of the late W. P. Donnell, who left Woodstock when a lad fourteen years ago, arrived here on Wednesday for a visit to his relations. Mr. Donnell has, for some ten years, been residing in South America, and now proposes to make his residence in New York.


Carleton Sentinel Newspaper March 7, 1891
Ernest Stanley Kirkpatrick, son of Robert Kirkpatrick, Debec, has graduated and received the degree of " Doctor Dental Surgery ," at the Pennsylvania College of Dental Surgery, Philadelphia, where he has been studing with his Uncle, Dr. A. H. Henderson, the past two years. He will remain in Philadelphia with his uncle for the present, and visit New Brunswick in July.

C S Newspaper March 7, 1891
Fire Main Street
About 9 o'clock on the evening of the 26th ult., fire broke out in the wooden building, Main street, owned by B. B. Manzer. The fire originated in the apartment of E. M. Campbell, photographer, and when discovered the flames were bursting through the roof of the building. The firemen were on hand promptly, and it was not long after the first water was thrown that the fire was extinguished.
The losses were as follows :
H V Mooers, harness maker, $75;
E M Campbell, photographer, $400;
H V Dalling, jeweler, $150;
Bailey Bros., boot and shoe dealers, $160;
B B Manzer, building, $800;
Estate W. W. Hammond, $200.

The above losses were all covered by insurance.
G. McHarg, tailor, uninsured, lost slightly in damage to stock.
After the firemen had conquered the flames they were furnished with an oyster supper by Messrs. Dalling and the Bailey Bros.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper March 14, 1891
County Court
The March term of the County Court was opened on Tuesday morning, His Honor Judge Stevens presiding.
Three cases were sent before the Grand Jury, and the Criminal Docket was made up as follows:

The Queen vs. Charles Ellis. Indictment for larceny of a bull. "True bill" found.
Bench warrant issued for apprehension of Ellis.

The Queen vs. William Bell. Indictment for assault with intent to commit a rape.
"True bill" found, and prisoner being arraigned pleaded guilty,
and was sentenced to six months imprisonment in the common gaol.

The Queen vs. George F. Bishop. Indictment for assault on Howard Porter. "True bill" found.
The trial of this case was taken up on Tuesday morning, and resulted in a verdict of "not guilty".
Geo. F. Gregory, col. for defendent; W. M. Connell for the Crown.

Two civil causes were entered for trial:

Charles H. Armstrong vs. Hanford Lindsay.
Action for false imprisonment.
J. J. Gallagher, plffs. atty.; Fisher & A. B. Connell, defts. atty.

Leonard Hotham vs. George Tedlie and Darius Nixon.
Action on special agreement,
Fisher & A. B. Connell, plffs. atty., S. B. Appleby, defts. atty.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper March 7, 1891
Benton Items March 4, 1891.
Woodstock has just reason to be proud of her fire department. But for right down business in putting out fires,
we will match the Benton boys against the world.
Last Monday when the word was given that
Auntie Blackburn's house was on fire - and sure enough the old dry roof was fiercely blazing threatening dire destruction to the whole building in a few minutes,-like magic a score of pails, two ladders, and a dozen monkey-like climbers were over the roof. Prudent Auntie had a barrel full of water in the kitchen, and almost before you could say " Jack Robinson, " half of it was on the burning roof.
A tin force pump did good execution, and if the aim was crooked so that part of it went inot somebody's ear, yet it was of service. A score of willing hands brought a further supply of water from the river near by, and the one aim seemed to be to save Auntie's house.
Tearing up the burning shingles, fighting through fire and smoke, cheers, wild hurrahs and cries of go it Bob, give her another chub; well done Jack,
and then the welcome shout, " all out, " was heard, and with the hearty thanks of dear old Auntie, the boys retired, amply repaid in being able to render her such timely assistance.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper March 21, 1891
After putting it to a crucial test we can certify to the excellent quality of a sample of Japanese buckwheat meal sent us by Mr. Joseph McCready, Jacksonville. The Japanese is certainly a most productive and excellent buckwheat. Three years ago Mr. McCready secured 2 oz of this grain, from the product of which, last season, was harvested 111 bushels, and under rather unfavorable conditions. The grain grows on good ground, without lodging, and does not shell so easily as the old kind. The amount of flour, per bushel of grain, is more and of better quality than the old fashioned buckwheat, and the Japanese will, we should judge, become a favorite with our farmers. As will be noticed by an advertisement in another column, Mr. McCready is prepared to furnish those desiring with seed of this grain.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper Jan 10, 1891
Sad Home Coming
The body of Wilmot Fredericks was brought to his home and parents, at Murchie's Mills, Benton, on Thursday.
Mr. Fredericks, about six months ago, left the employ of the N. B. Railway and secured work as brakesman on the N. Y. & N. E. road. On Tuesday last when engaged in his regular vocation at Blackstone, Mass.,
he was struck by a passing train and instantly killed. He was 26 years old and unmarried. With his remains, which were accompanied by a cousin, was a beautiful wreath of roses and evergreens, the contribution of some of his associates on the railroad.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper Jan 17, 1891
Another Link Broken
By the death of William D. Smith, which occurred at his residence on the 6th inst., after a comparatively brief but, at times, painful illness, another link in the chain binding the past to the present has been severed. The first marriage recorded in what now is Carleton County, but then a portion of Sunbury, was that of the parents of the deceased, Michael and Phoebe Smith. Mr Smith was born here, and has always lived on the farm granted by the Crown to his father. There is now but one child born to the original Loyalist settlers living, Mrs. Peabody. The deceased was a gentleman highly esteemed in all walks of life, a generous, kind hearted true man.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper March 28, 1891
A Good Man Gone to his Rest
As we briefly stated last week, the death of Anthony Kearney occurred, after an illness of several weeks, at the residence of Mr. David W. Smith, Jacksonville, on the 19th instant, aged 71 years, leaving two sons and a large circle of other relatives to mourn his loss. He was born and always resided near the scene of his death, and was widely and prominently known both in public and private life, having served many years as member of the County Council and in other prominent offices. Living the life of a true christian throughout, and being beloved and highly esteemed, his loss will be mourned by all who knew him.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper March 14
Died at Marysville
Miss Estey, a young lady of Woodstock, an operative in Marysville cotton mill, died in that town on Wednesday 4th. inst. her death was caused by pneumonia after an illness of only a few days. The body was conveyed to her home in Woodstock on Thursday. Before the corpse left the house, a very feeling sermon was preached by the Rev. Dr. McLeod, followed by prayer by the Rev. Mr. Downey. She had made many warm friends among the people she had met at Marysville, and much regret is expressed at her early death.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper March 14, 1891
Death of a Former Carletonian
Late Montana papers contain the following account of the death and burial of a former resident of this county:-

Walkerville, Feb. 27.-
John Fleming was buried from his residence this afternoon. His death took place last evening from pneumonia after an illness of four days, Mr. Fleming was 28 years of age and was born in Carleton, County, N. B. He came to Montana about eight years ago and has worked with the Alice company for the last six years. On New Year's day, 1890, he was married to Miss Josephine O'Donnell, who although scarcely 20 years of age, is left a widow. Mr. Fleming was well known in Walkerville as a sober and industrious man and his early death is a matter of general regret . Mrs. Fleming will now make her home with her father, Charles O'Donnell.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper April 11, 1891
The Last Tribute
The service in the F. C. B. Church on Sabbath morning, was a funeral service over the remains of Mrs. Kellom which, accompanied by the afflicted husband, reached here from Brookline, Mass., on Saturday. The pastor, Rev. C. T. Phillips, preached a touching sermon, and music specially selected was effectively rendered by the choir. The casket was covered with the most beautiful flowers. The remains were interred at Upper Woodstock.
Mrs. Kellom, a daughter of Mr. George Brewer, was in her young womanhood, having been a wife only for some two years. Her life was thus untimely ended by that insidious disease consumption.


Carleton County HomePage