Carleton County Home Page
1991 population 26,026
Towns (trading centers) naturally sprang up at river fords or ferries, crossroads and mill sites where travel was broken or where settlers had their grain ground.
Bath : Village located in the Parish of Kent.
Benton: Located in the Parish of Woodstock 10 mi. SW of Woodstock on the boundary with York County. PO Rankins Mills 1860-1872; PO Benton 1872-1969. (Rayburn 1975) Settled in 1830. Eel River nearby. What type of mill was here? :
Beechwood : Unincorporated area in the Parish of Kent
Biggar Ridge: In Aberdeen Parish located between the communities of Argle and Juniper originally the eastern part of the town of Foreston. The first settler in East Foreston was William Alfred Biggar, who arrived in 1870 from Smith Creek, Kings County, with his wife, the former Susan Harrington, and son. William Biggar was joined by his parents, John Biggar Sr. and the former Elizabeth Dobson, and his brothers Joshua Melbourne Biggar, and John Wesley Biggar between 1871 and 1872. By 1874, were Richard Mann, from Argyle, William F. Curtis, from Bangor, Maine, Thomas and William Emery - brothers from Williamstown, Daniel Hayden of PEI, and John & Samuel Huggard from Kings County had settled. Reference: History of Foreston by Herbert Neil Bradley co-writer, Jack Biggar.
Bloomfield : Unincorporated area in the Parish of Wilmot. Was this area named after David Bloomfield who had a Loyalist land grant in 1799 on the Saint John River? It is pretty much the way it's always been. Nothing but potato fields and farm houses as far as the eye can see. (it could have gotten it's name from all of the blooming potato plants, because when in full bloom that's all you see is blooming fields everywhere.)
Bristol : Village. Located in the Parish of Kent. Shiktehawk also called Kent Station..
Centreville : Located along the banks of the Presque Isle River in the Parish of Wilmot. Today a thriving steel manufacturing community with a population of 529.
Debec : Unincorporated area in the Parish of Richmond located between a few miles south of the midpoint between Woodstock to Houlton, Maine. "Debec - 7 mi. SW of Woodstock. PO c 1885. Named for George DEBEC, settler 1835 and mill operator. CPR station in 1861, called Debec Station in 1869, when a second line was built from Woodstock to Houlton (Maine). Formerly named Blairs Mills for Andrew BLAIR, father of Premier A.G. BLAIR.. DebecBrook flows NE to Bulls Creek". (Rayburn )
Florenceville : A village located in the Parish of Wicklow. It was originally called "Buttermilk Creek" and it was renamed in honour of Florence Nightingale. The head office of the world's largest french fry maker McCain Foods is based here overlooking the Saint John River. Popualtion 694. McCain Foods (NZ) Limited have a plant near Timaru New Zealand.
Greenfield: Unincorporated area in the Parish of Wicklow. Settlers from Maugerville, Sunbury Co.NB arrived about 1827. Earlier settlers were John S. Kenney and his wife the former Sarah Crabtree, his father Stephen and his uncles John and Andrew Kenney. They had a maple sugar mill. Reference: Israel Kenny and His Descendants written in 1944, by E.W. Bell.
Glassville : Unincorporated area in the Parish of Aberdeen. the town of Glassville is named for the Rev. Charles Gordon Glass who was instrumental in bringing Scottish settlers to New Brunswick in the 1860's. and he established Woodstock College.
Golden Ridge : Mountain. Near Knowleville, Aberdeen Parish.
Hartland : Population 890."Mouth of the Guimac" later named Hartland. The Becaguimac is a tributary that pours into the Saint John River at the upper end of the town of Hartland.(Corey) .In 1789, Frederick Dibblee supplied the Indian's with axes and they cleared some land where corn was planted where now the town of Hartland is located. Crops were poor so they moved on up the river to Madawaska mostly. Grant map (image 47K)
Holmesville : Unincorporated area in the Parish of Kent.
Jacksontown: Located in the Parish of Wakefield near a river. Founded in 1818, bringing together some of the Maugerville settlers, some Irish and some Loyalists. Named in honour of John Jackson. The Simonson family was also a prominent one in Jacksonville. Lieut. John Simonson was born in New York and came to New Brunswick in 1783, he died at Maugerville in 1816 and his wife moved to Jacksonville and lived there until she died in 1850. His eldest son John Ness Simonson, was born at Fort Howe on Feb. 11/1799.
Johnville : An Irish ecclesiastical settlement in the Parish of Kent, founded by Bishop Sweeney and served by the St John the Evangelist Church and the St Joseph Church at Bath. Unincorporated area.
"An honourable independence, the Irish Catholic settlers of Johnville, Carleton County, New Brunswick" by Kilfoil, William Patrick, 1919-1996. This is the story of those courageous men and women who shared Sweeney's dream of an honourable independence, and laid the foundations of Johnville: Sweeney organized the Emigrant Aid Society in 1860. It's main objective was to assist emigrants in obtaining land grants for settlement. Sweeney took advantage of legislation that had been recently enacted providing more favourable conditions for land settlement, and in 1860, obtained 10,000 acres in Northern Carleton County. Includes bibliographical references. Allison, Barry, Bohan, Bowen, Boyd, Brennan, Bryson, Burke, Burns, Callaghan, Cammack, Campbell, Canavan, Carroll, Carter, Casey, Clancy, Collins, Colton, Commins, Connors, Conroy, Corbett, Corcoran, Corrigan, Coyle, Crain, Cronin, Crossin, Cullen, Cummings, Daley, Dawson, Deignan, Denny, Dineen, Doherty, Donahoe, Donnelly, Donovan, Dooley, Doolin, Doucette, Doyle, Dugan, Eagen, Faraher, Feeney, Foley, Freeman, Furlong, Gallagher, Gillespie, Gorey, Gormley, Goulden, Guest, Haley, Hall, Hannigan, Hennessey, Higgins, Holleran, Howell, Huricy, Irvin, Kane, Kearney, Keenan, Kelly, Kilfoil, Lapointe, Leonard, Maddox, Mahon, Mahoney, Malloy, McAdam, McAllister, McAuliffe, McCann, McCartneym McCormack, McCready, McCullough, McDermott, McDonald, McElroy, McGaffigan, McGinley, McGowan, McGrath, McGroty, McGuire, McIsaac, McKim, McLaughlin, McNeill, McShefferey, McVane, Meade, Mitchell, O'Neil, O'Brien, O'Connor, O'Donnell, O'Keefe, Owens, Pickard, Pierce, Quinn, Quirk, Ready, Riley, Ryan, Shea, Shepard, Shugrue, Sloan, Staten, Stitham, Sullivan, Sutton, Sweeney, Tucker, Vautour, and Vicars.
Juniper : Unincorporated area located in the Parish of Aberdeen. Population 438.
Knowlesville : Settled by immigrants from Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia in 1861. The head of the households were Alexander Campbell, David Campbell, Albert Cook, Rev. Cyril Doucette, Jeremiah Frost, John Gayton, Thomas Gayton, Morris Hobbs, Prince Kenny, Robert Ricker, Webster Simms, Thomas Spinney, Eleazer Wheaton, Jacob Whitehouse, Joseph Whitehouse and others. The community was named after the Baptist minister, Reverend Charles Knowles from Yarmouth County. (Corey) The community is located 6km east of Bristol and is located in the Parish of Aberdeen. The Story of Knowlesville by J.M. Corey includes bibliographical references. Land grant map image.
Maplehurst: Unincorporated area.
Mapleton : Formerly called Skedaddle Ridge and it was first settled in 1864 by "skedaddlers" from Maine. Names associated with this area include Dav Brewer, Fisher, Hall, Wes Lawson, Long, Sarchfield, Jessie W. Tedford and others. (Corey) A "skedaddler" was the Civil War term for deserter or draft dodger.
Richmond Corner : Located in the Parish of Richmond. Anglican Church History for the Parish of Richmond. Lists priests who have served the Parish.
River De Chute: This unincorporated area is located in the north-western corner of Carleton Co. in Wicklow Parish. The official 1998 travel map from the Dept. Tourism New Brunswick, shows the county boundaries, with River de Chute in Carleton Co. NB on the west bank of the Saint John River just south of the Victoria boundary with a customs office. Clearview is 2 km away, Upper Kent 4 km away and Maplehurst 3 kms away. To get to the River De Chute cemetery, which is located beside the Pentecostal Church, travel 7.8 kms north on the Trans-Canada Highway from the Beechwood Dam on the St. John River, left on Route 560 1.8 kms.
Summerfield : Unincorporated area located in the Parish of Wicklow. A farming settlement.
Upper Woodstock : Location of the old Carleton County Courthouse built in 1833 was a stagecoach stop and seat of justice. Located in the Parish of Wookstock. Open to visitors.There diplay theme "By their hands we learn about our history". On display is a reproduction of the Connell stamp owned by the Carleton County Historical Society.
Victoria Corner : Unincorporated area.
Wakefield: Wakefield's first settlers were by name of Lawrence Wiltzey or Woolsey,
George McKee, John Stanley, John Tompkins. Coming from Maugerville were Samuel Nevers,
James York, Jonathan and Elishaw Shaw, Asa Kinney, Samuel Farley. Others were Arden
Atkinson, Hillkiah Kearney,Anthony Baker Sr., Caleb Phillips, Jeremiah Hopkins, John
Bradley, Johathan Giberson, William Orser and William Simpson. Later
still, the following people moved up river, Upton, Atherton, Nevers, Estey, Rideout,
Gallop, Hartt, Jewett, Larlee, Noble, Peabody, Plummer, Estabrooks, Perley, Palmer,
Stickney, Hovey and Burpee.
William Orser was b. March 1763, baptised 1765, b. in Philipsburg NY, son of Jan (Aertse) Orser and Rachel Belyea. After serving in the King's American Dragoons in the Revolutionary War, he came to Prince William , York Co., NB then moved to Hartland, where he d. 24 Dec. 1844. He first m. Mary Craig d/o Jacob Craig. He secondly m. in 1802 to Mary Blake widow of James Craig, his brother in law. Mary Blake was b. in Reed's Point St John, NB, 6 Mar., 1772. She d. at Hartland 7 May 1856 and she is buried near William in Orser Cemetery. Mary had 6 children when she m. William who went by the name Craig.
Children of William 's second marriage:
1.Stephen b 1802, d Oct. 1868, m Jane McIsaac in 1826 and Sarah Foster Dec. 2 1835
2. Edward m Abigail Shaw.
3.George E.B. d at young age.
4. John b Sept.13 1810 in Hartland, d. Oct. 23 1896. in St Paul's Minn., married Martha Hamilton in 1830 or 31.
5. George Whitfield b. June 27 1813, d. Mar. 20 1885. He was a baptist minister, buried in Wakefield.. He m. Abigail J. Shaw and again his sister in law Harriet Shaw Rideout
6. Samuel Bishop b.1815 and d.1892 in Hartland. He m. Irene Shaw.
Watson Settlement: Located nine miles west of Woodstock not far from the boundary with Maine. Post Office 1859-1917, John Watson, first postmaster had a land grant there. (Rayburn )
Wicklow:.Unincorporated area which is located in the Parish of Wicklow on the west side of the Saint John River across from Bath. Lea Howard Canam, operated the ferry from Wicklow to Bath before the new bridge went in at Florenceville.
: County seat Population 4,631. Incorporated
in 1856. Situated at the confluence of the Meduxnekeag and the Saint John River and was
settled by Loyalists in 1784 after the American Revolution. Was this town named
after Sir Walter Scott's novel "Woodstock" or "Woolastook"?
"Woolastook" was the original Indian name for the Saint John River. De
Monts and Champlain, the French explorers, christened the river Saint John when they
discovered the mouth on Saint John the Baptist's day 24 June 1604. Woodstock is located 48
miles northwest of Fredericton and is seeved by the railway.. Population in 1951 was
3,996..Visit Greens site "Places" to view
images of Woodstock.
St Luke's Anglican Church is located on Main St.,Woodstock.
History of the United Pentecostal Church Woodstock.
If you know which parish the above communities and others in Carleton County, New Brunswick are located and the origins of their names, please let me know and I'll add them.
Source: Mr. Judson Corey has kindly given me written permission to use citations from his book "The Story of Knowlesville". This source will be acknowledged (Corey) following the citations.
Source for population figures:1991 Census. The World Book Encyclopedia
Good sources for origins of place names
in New Brunswick are William F. Ganong 's books.
A Monograph of the place-nomenclature of the Province of New Brunswick. Publisher: New Brunswick Museum 1896. St John.
Additions and corrections to monographs on the place-nomenclature of NB. Publisher: Royal Society of Canada, 1906
A Monograph of the Origins of Settlements in the Province of New Brunswick, printed in 1904, by Transactions of The Royal Society of Canada.
Rayburn, A. Geographical names of New Brunswick / by Alan Rayburn for Canadian Permanent Committee on Geographical Names. Ottawa : Surveys and Mapping Branch, Department of Energy, Mines and Resources, 1975.
Carleton County Home Page