The following consists of Campobello History as taken from the notes of an unpublished manuscript of Mary Gallagher now held in the library at Campobello. The notes were held in private hands at the time they were transcribed with permission of the owner…. Signed: Pat Townsend
From diary of Lt. (later Capt.) Owen:
03 June 1770 "... I went on shore and found three New England families settled there without legal authority who cheerfully acquiesed in coming under my jurisdiction. I fixt on a spot for building a town to be called New Warrington and formally named the harbor Port Owen and the island Campobello. " (Wilson, Clarke & Ricker would have been the three he found upon arrival.) (Hunt, Aiken and Kelley were on the other side of the island.)
16 Jun 1770 "erected a flagstaff 44 feet high on the summit of
the hill near the centre of the intended town. William Clarke of
this Island swore an assault, battery and breach of the peace against William
Dollard of Deer Island; granted a warrant and sent a party to apprehend
him, who seized and
brought him over handcuffed about midnight."
21 June "went over in the yawl to Pt. Pleasant and married Phillip Newton and Mary Cartney, widow. James Boyd, Esq;, a J. P., appearing personally and giving certificate of his publishment of their banns 3 Sundays.
1 July "baptized a son of William and Susanna Clark by the name of William Owen Denny. Capt. Denny, myself and Catherine Lawless being sponsors."
"the 13th, sent 2 new salmon nets up to Schoodic Falls by James Cochran to fish upon shares."
"Sunday, the 22nd - I was visited by M. Baille, the French missionary and about 30 of the principle Indians of the Passamaquoddy & St. John's tribes."
End of excerpts ….
One of the principal people of the dirstrict was John Curry, a man of excellent reputation, who came from Ireland and settled in Saco, ME. He had a vessel and traded up and down the coast later making his headquarters at Port Owen.
Archibald Brown was chief mate of the 'Owen'.
Lt. Owen and a crew set out for Mt. Desert the 22nd of August, he "changed a man with Wilson, my tenant for his servant, Aaron Bunker, a very clever fellow, who was to be my pilot and like most other New England men was a carpenter, farmer, fisherman and seaman."
"The family of my pilot, Aaron Bunker were most of them settled in this neighborhood ... I went ashore where I married Eliachim Eaton to Mary Bunker and remarried Robert M'Lellan to Jerusha Frost - a real and genuine Yankee frolic ensued."
By June 1771, Robert Wilson had formed a small company with William Clark and an associate partner, Leighton, at Cobscook, for the purpose of cutting lumber and preparing it for shipment.
Preparations began for return to England, Capt. Plat Denny to direct affairs of the Island.
Report made on William Owen's settlement on Campobello at the Special Sessions of the Peace, June, 1771
15 houses built of various dimensions but 3 of them less than 20' x 16'; others going to be built with a wind grist mill and a chapel of 30' x 24', to be called George Chapel.
36 people from England, indentured servants; 4 couples of them married and living on the Island; others, their wives and families in England but intend sending for them and settling after the expiration of their term of servitude.
3 families settled on the penisula westward of the Harbor and have cleared land, about 4 acres. (These were probably Hunt, Flagg & Kelley, Aiken went to Indian Island.)
7 New England families settled (near New Warrington)
Number of souls on the Island: Males 51; Female 22; in all 73.
Sworn in Court before us:
Will Owen John Preble, foreman
Plato Denny Robert Wilson
Wm Isherwood Samuel Black
William (X) Ricker
Reg. 25 June 1771
Halifax, N. S.
The names of the indentured servants:
Clerk & Asst
John Montgomery my servant
Sarah Haslam Housekeeper
Jane Johnson House maid
Ric d Atwood Armorer & Blacksmith
William Rylands Fisherman & net weaver
Evan Williams do
William Drinkwater Husbandman & Laborer
John Drinkwater do
Benjamin Mather Butcher
Chas. Witnell Brick-molder, burner, laborer, shoemaker & fisherman
Lewis Jones Mariner & Fisherman
John Holiday Shipwright, caulker & seaman
Joseph Caldwell Taylor
John Lawless Barber & Gardener
Catherine Lawless Cooks, housewives, washerwoman, & Spruce beer maker
Mary Lawless do
Eleanor Newall do
Mary Jones do
James Gregson Laborer
John Clark Husbandman & Laborer
Richard Clayton do
John Unsworth Carpenter, joiner & boat builder
John Clotton do, do, do
John Lockitt Ploughman & Laborer
Wm Mollineaux Pot Ash Burner
William Douglas Miller & Husbandman
Thomas Green Cooper & Laborer
Thomas Gregory Carp, joiner, wheelwright
John Hurst Ploughman & Gardener
James Bates Gardener, clay-caster, & delvor
Joseph Henshaw Bricklayer, maker & burner
John Robotham Potter & Laborer
Adam Kingsley Mason, slater & plaisterer
Nicholas Rollin Fisherman & laborer
Edmund Mahar Laborer
John Pendergrass Fisherman
Owen left Campobello on the Snow Owen in 1772. After he left dissension set in, 27 persuaded Plato Denny to take them home. They never reached England, all were lost at sea. Nine remained on the Island.
Edmund Mahar married Mary Jones and in a year or so moved over to Cobscook and was shortly followed by Green and Bates.
The names Millineaux and Gregson soon passed out of the Island records.
John & Catherine Lawless moved to Deer Island.
The only ones to stay of all those who came with William Owen was Mary Lawless who married Andrew Lloyd. Lloyd was not an indentured servant to Owen but came over on the Snow Owen bound as an apprentice to Plato Denny. Mary and her mother, a native of Limerick, had come over with the Owen retinue and her father, John had come as barber and gardner. Lawles was an Englishman and has been a sergeant under Wolfe at Quebec. Andrew Lloyd and wife settled at New Warrington and built a house.
The bulk of the colony now consisted of 7 New Englanders: Wilson, Clark, Ricker, Thomas Naylor, William Crow and John Barker, (the last 3 may have come in answer to a Boston ad) and Aaron Bunker who had established a farm of his own up the Harbor.
The 3 families on the peninsula to the westward were Hunt, Flagg and Kelley, though strictly speaking the only abode on Hunt's Neck was Hunt's; Flagg and Kelley were at Friar's Bay.
Curry was also at New Warrington but was not listed as a permanent resident thought by 1774 hew as Justice of the Peace.
In 1772 the NS Assembly passed an act establishing a Court of General Sessions of the Peace at Campobello. The inhavitants of the adjacent islands and mainland acknowledged its jurisdiction and attended its courts.
At the outbreak of the Revolutionary War William Clarke, William Ricker and William Crow were decidedly on the American side that they finally left the Island. Ricker & Crow went to Moose Island and Clarke to Cobscook.
The only known Campobello settler known to enlist was Andrew Lloyd who joined the Royal American Fencibles.
Robert Wilson was drowned at Cobscook Falls in 1782 with his friend
Clarke. Robert & Mary Wilson had two sons, Robert born in 1768 and
James born in 1771. Robert Sr. died intestate and the right of equity
redemption on the part of the Campobello Company passed. Widow Mary
Wilson granted John Curry
administration of Robert's estate in 1782.
The 2527 acres that Wilson claimed was advertised and sold at public sale at O'Brien's Tavern in Halifax, 11 Aug 1783. Charles Morris, Crown Surveyor, bought the lands. Mary Wilson was given 500 pounds to satisfy the debt owed her deceased husband.
In 1785 Gilliam Butler of Boston and his wife Elizabeth (she a cousin to Sir John Wentworth's wife, Rebecca) moved to Campobello and began to recruit settlers.
Neal McCurdy of the Penobscot Association came and bought 100 acres; Jonathan Stover, mariner & associate of Curry at Digdeguash bout 25 acres; Thomas Storrow though living at St. Andrew's bought 100 acres. Andrew Lloyd though entitled to land on the Magaguadavic through his service in the Royal American Fencibles, bought a town lot on Water Street and established a small inn. Samuel Osborne, an officer of teh man-of-war 'Ariadne' also bought 8 acres and a water lot.
Butler took for himself th house and 8 acres cultivated by William Clark, next to the Wilson property. The farm he sold to the Storrows took in all the main part of Owen's New Warrington.
Butler laid out a new town on Curry's Cove, the main or Water Street running along the old seawall. He called it Charlottetown.
From the Beaver Harbor settlement came Albert Rykeman and wife Elizabeth;
Jonathan Parker, Richard Matthews and one Hannah Smith. Also Jeremiah
Dunn and his wife Margaret; Jonathan Morgan Owen; Thomas Kendrick.
The last 3 settled first at Charlottetown and then moved across the harbor
Albert Rykeman was a Loyalist from New York. His first wife, Frances Stilwell was from an old Staten Island family, descended from Lt. Stilwell who settled in New Amsterdam in 1650. Rykeman's 2nd wife was Elizabeth Lockerman who came to Beaver Harbor then to Campobello. The daughter that came with them was a child of his first marriage.
Richard Matthews, a Loyalist, came to the St. John on the 'Cyrus' with the September fleet. He belonged to the Matthews family who settled early in Newcastle, NH, a branch of which went to Portsmouth. The founder in America was Francis Matthews who married Thomasine Channon in Devonshire, England and came over in 1637.
Richard's brother, Francis Matthews joined him on Campobello and their father who had enlisted with the British at Lloyd's Neck in 1780 and had been a recruiting sergeant in New York, was on the Island for a short time.
George Leonard was a Loyalist from New York, he died at Deer Island but is buried at Wind Mill Point on Campobello.
Jeremiah Dunn was from Middlesex Co., NJ. His father left him the old homestead and considerable land at Piscataway in 1760. Jeremiah's wife was Margaret Cameron.
Jonathan Parker was a Beaver Harbor Loyalist reputedly from Staten Island. Nathan Frink was a native of Pomfret, CT and a Captain of Calvary in the King's American Legion - the corps raised and commanded by Benedict Arnold. Frink's wife was Hester Guyler of an old New York family.
Peter and John McCallum arrived from the 74th Regiment. John had his name registered also at Beaver Harbor. Peter's wife was a daughter of Captain Angus MacDonald of the NC Highlanders.
A Stafford family also came.
Stephen Eldridge from Yarmouth, NS bought a part of the Albert Rykeman place.
John Curry still kept a wharf and place of business on the Cove. He and his wife Hannah eventually took residence at St. Andrew's. She was a daughter of Cadwalader Gray of St. John.
Hunt and Flagg continued across the Island. Flagg's son, Josiah married Hunt's daughter, Sarah.
Hibbard Hunt, Jr. married Lydia Hix (Hicks) from Mispeaka (now known as Jonesboro, Washington, ME.)
John Dunbar, a soldier in Capt. Nehemiah Marks Company received a grant with the Port Matoon group at St. Stephen in 1783. He also received a grant at St. Andrew's in 1784. He sold both properties in 1785 and moved to Campobello. He settled at Finback Cove later known as Mill Cove, facing the Bay of Fundy and at the foot of a hill known since as Dunbar Hill. Mrs. Dunbar had not been seen for some time, her husband said she had gone to Nova Scotia. Suspicion was aroused, the sheriff came and searched the`house. In the cellar the remains were found in a pork barrel. He confessed that he killed her in a drunken rage. John Dunbar was sentenced to death at the first criminal trial held at St. Andrew's.
Daniel Holmes came and stayed. He later moved to Hunt's Neck.
Gilliam Butler was in financial trouble and began to juggle the land at Campobello for collateral..
In the meantime another group began settling at Snug Cove, including Christopher Hatch, a native of Boston and a Captain in Loyal American >Regiment. His brother, Hawes Hatch came also. He had been a Captain in DeLancey's 2nd Brigade and Prince of Wales Volunteers.
Thomas Henderson came from Kingsclear, a Lt. of the Loyal American Regiment.
William Gannon settled at Snug Cove. Others on this part of the Island were Robert McLellan whom Capt. Owen had married to Jerusha Frost at Cranberry Isle. He and his family settled at Friar's Bay near the Flagg's and John, Richard and Thomas Parker, Loyalists.
An Edward Neal resided at Bald Head and beyond him an Edward Tucker and Harry Grimes, these three from Ireland.
William Mitchell, in a petition to the government years later stated he "had first settled on Grand Manan but finding he could not obtain title to the land there, settled on Campobello."
David Owen was born in England in 1754 the second son of Capt. William's
oldest brother, Owen Owen. David Owen arrived at Campobelloin 1787
and took possession of the Old Man-of-WAr- house, across the harbor from
Man-of-War-Head. He served notice to all that he came to claim the property. Some prepared to leave including the Rykemans and Neal McCurdy who moved back to his land near St. Andrew's. The Storrows and Butlers
decided to stay in defiance of David Owen.
Lewis Frederick Delesdernier was a native of Switzerland and came to NS about 1750. He was the American Collector (of Customs) living at Frederick Island. He later lived at Moose Island. In 1794 he became first postmaster for the Passamaquoddy District, his office at Flagg's Point on the Narrows,now Lubec.
The Flaggs left shortly after David Owen's arrival. David Owen built a new house at the crest of the hill with a deep, sloping roof and called it Tyn-y-coed (House in the Woods) after the family seat in Wales. This was the lot the Flaggs had settled at Whale Boat Cove.
Owen took Hannah Smith who had come with the Beaver Harvor loyalists to his new home. George and Phoebe Peck also went to the new house. Hannah Smith was known as the "Vestal Virgin of Fryar's Bay." She remained loyal to Owen for 40 years. The Peck's found his disfavor. In the records of 1800 there is a marriage of William Batson, seaman, and Hannah Smith, but she never used the Batson name.
From a letter of Nancy Storrow, 23 May 1790: "Owen warned Lloyd off the Island but he is sick and Owen allows him to stay. Allen has taken up land on Owen's side. Uncle Paca is returned from Gooseberry, he has taken 3 acres where he lived before. Simpson is removed to Moose Island. Mrs. Stover is gone to her own house. McCurdy's people are in state quo. Holm's family are to have the Man-of-War's garden."
Christopher Hatch was accused of assaulting David Owen - still in court in 1792. Hatch lost his business on the Island. His property was attached by a Mr. Green of Boston. Hatch later settled at St. Andrew;s and became a prominent citizen.
A pauper woman named Boyle, with two young children were removed from Campobello by Owen's servant and taken to St. Andrew's. The citizens sent her back.
Andrew Lloyd moved to Deer Island. One of his daughters, Frances, born on Campobello, married Abijah Garrison and their son was William Lloyd Garrison, the great abolitionist of 1860.
Hawes Hatch moved in back of Moose Island in 1800.
Lane, Baldwin and a Wortman were on Campobello. They were used to spy on their neighbors by David Owen. Capt. Frink lived in that house until 1796.
David Owen built a small chapel at the top of the steepest hill in Whale Boat Cove.
In 1792 David Owen began parcelling out land to the old residents by long leases.
Jeremiah Dunn and Morgan Owen had temporay leases of their land on Hunt's Neck from 1787 but in 1792 David Owen took Morgan Owen's land from him, 50 acres, and leased it to Thomas Kendrick for 99 years. Next to him was Robert Calder. Samuel Miers, son of a loyalist who had settled first at Maugerville leased land next to Calders and William Mitchell who had come over years before from Grand Manan, took the next strip. Next to him was David Tinker who was thought to be a son of Capt. William Tinker, master of the 'Camel' one of the vessels that carried loyalists from New York to St.John. Then came William McLellan, son of sea captain Robert McLellan (he still living at Friar's Bay.) Next was the lot of David Morgan Owen. (Jonathan Morgan Owen or Morgan Owen as he was commonly called dropped entirely from the records and David Morgan Owen crops up in his place.)
Next to David Morgan Owen came Lawrence Batson and his land on the north side joined with Edward Neal's (this is probably Edward O'Neil.) Further on between there and Holmes' lot were leases to Edward Tucker, Peter Lyons and one to John Fitzgerald for life. The last two were loyalists from Beaver Harbor. John Fitzgerald was a son of Thomas and Mary and when his father was drowned he came to Campobello with his mother and two brothers and Henry Young, another Beaver Harbor settler. Henry Young settled at Snug Cove and ran a tavern. He married George Peck's daughter.
At the end of the Neck at Man-of-War garden, Owen gave Daniel Holmes a choice piece. The Flagg farm that he had taken for himselp he leased for 3 years to George Peck to cultivate it.
Jonathan Parker in 1804 leased teh Clark/Butler house and was given leave to sell liquor in the house and to trade.
These leases were at the whim of David Owen. When Robert McLellan died in 1798 he got a release from the widow and re-rented the farm to John Lilley. The same was done at John Parker's - to Archibald Ladley.
Kendrick and Calder encroached on the lots of Miers, Mitchell and Tinker with no resolution upon complaint.
Some short leases were granted to Beniah Dow, Daniel Small, Peter White, Henry Young and William Greenwood.
In 1798 David Owen conveyed a life interest to Hibbard Hunt, Jr. and his wife Lydia and their son John.
In abandoned Charlottetown a general shuffling took place. The Storrow farm was let to Ruth Serles, singlewoman. Richard Matthews and his brother Francis, sons of Francis, Sr. had the Rykeman farm.
William Eldridge, a soldier in Gen. DeLancey's 3rd Batt., who had just come with a party of that corps to Beaver Harbor and "sat down on a spot of land near the Town plot" took the McCurdy farm with a small part of John McCallum.
The Island was sold at Sheriff's sale. David Owen bought it in.
In 1810 old Hibbard Hunt had ordered a whale boat and didn't pay for it. David Owen paid the sheriff 30 pounds for the boat and 50 pounds for Hunt. Hunt therefore lost his lands to Owen.
In 1796 Owen sent Peck to Butler's house on Wind Mill Point to spy on the Wilsons and then leased Tyn-y-coed to Thomas Henderson to manage but in 1802 gave the entire farm and buildings to Hannah Smith for the rest of her natural life.
Robert Calder had 7 children by his wife Ann which with the 4 he had when he first came to the Island made 11. He died in 1800.
A family of Lank's settled on the neck to the south of Ann Calder's lot. There were 4 men, Richard, Edward, John and William. They were caulkers by trade. Richard seems to have been the father of the others. In a few years John Lank married Penelope Calder and William Lank married Nancy Calder, both daughters of old Robert.
About 1800 Hibbard Flagg, son of Josiah and Sarah, came back to the Island and leased part of the land that his grandfather had settled on at Friar's Bay. In 1804 he married Ann Calder, presumably old Robert's widow.
In 1815 John and Alexander Calder leased part of the land formerly leased to Edward Neale on the North Road.
William Mitchell's large family of boys were setting up families and leased smaller lots on the Miers, Tinker and Kendrick lots.
Charlottetown had ceased to exist. Only Richard Matthews remained on the on the Rykeman farm.
Ruth Serles Finney had lost the Storrow farm but leased land beyond the Matthews.
Jonathan Parker leased land in 1804 but in 1814 gave up his claim to all land in Campobello and went to St. John. All his large family went with him except the two oldest sons, Benjamin who married Maria Wilson in 1812 and Thomas who married Miriam Ludlow in 1814. The latter was the daughter of William Ludlow, a sea captain who had married into the Wilson family and was living at Wilson's Beach. Thomas and Maria Parker named their first son Owen.
The Storrow farm was broken up and the part on Wind Mill Point was used by whoever was watching the Wilson's. George Peck held that from 1796 but in 1816 was turned out by a writ of ejectment. Nothing further heard of he and wife Phoebe.
The Wilson settlement was increasing in population and had come to be known as Wilson's Beach. Other families had leased land from them, beside Jonathan Stover. Among them - Thomas and Amby Nash; Daniel Clark; James Burden Brown; Edward and Daniel Cashman; James Pineo and William McKinney. Some of these already had families and some intermarried with the Wilsons.
James Burden Brown was a son of James Brown, a Gagetown loyalist, who married Eliza Burden, daughter of Thomas Burden of RI, a Lt. in the Royal Army. John settled at Burden, Sunbury County. James Burden Brown married Thankful daughter of Robert Wilson (Jr.) he the oldest son of the first Robert.
Thomas Nash married Silence Wilson, another daughter of Robert Wilson, Jr.
Abigail Pineo, a daughter of James Pineo, a loyalist from Halifax, married William Wilson, son of James Wilson, the 2nd son of old Robert.
Mary Wilson (wife of old Robert Wilson) died in 1805 still in apparent possession of the property, about 390 acres. David Owen still claimed he had possession since 1790.
In 1816 Jonathan Parker reappeared on the Island apparently back from St. John. Two of his daughters had married, Frances married Christopher Young, a young man in the St. John Fencibles. His fathere was George Young, a Long Island loyalist who had bought a large property in St. John and in 1816 gave it to his son Christopher. Christopher sold out in 1822 and went to Campobello with his wife.
Mary, another daughter of Jonathan Parker married Thomas Patterson, son of Stephen Patterson. Stephen was a son of Josiah Patterson one of the first grantees of St. John. Stephen was heir to his father's property, sold it in 1811 and went to Campobello. He leased land at Snug Cove and either built or took over the large house erected in 1816 which afterward was occupied by Capt. John Patterson.
Jonathan Parker upon returning to Campobello built a new house, the old one in ruins. According to David Owen he did not pay his rents and Owen put a writ of ejectment on Jonathan Parker and gave possession of the house to Charles Hatheway, Deputy Collector & Surveyor. When he arrived with the Sheriff to take possession Jonathan Parker attacked him and drew a sword and struck him three times.
Charles Hatheway and his brother Warren Hatheway of Deer Island moved around the Passamaquoddy area. They were sons of Ebenezer Hatheway, a wealthy iron founder at Freetown, MA. He entered the Royal Service as a Captain but later resigned and fitted and commanded a privateer. He was captured by the "rebels" and confined at Simesbury Mines, the American War Prison. He was tried for his life, escaped and went to Canada with 5 sons.
Charles Reid Hatheway, a third son, was a Captain in the Charlotte County Militia in 1812. He lived for a while at Campobello, was a Notary Public and Deputy Collecter of Customs at Snug Cove, succeeding Thomas Henderson who had moved to Indian Island in 1811.
In the Eastport Sentinel, 1825, first mention of the settlement at Whale Boat Cove being called "Welshpool."
Lot #1, part of old Hibbard Hunt's land, was sold to Cadwallader Curry and wife Julia, who was a Mitchell. Curry was a son of John. He had a soap factory and candle manufactory in 1823.
Lot #2, was bought by Angus McKenzie.
James Cubbrick (Chubbuck?) received a water lot down on the beach in a direct line from Curry. Jacob and William Mabee were next.
Hudson Bailey and Robert T. Bailey bought a lot along the same top row as Curry and McKenzie. A house was built on this site by John Buck, half of which he lived in and Robert Titherly (Fatherly?) had the other half.
Joseph Gilpatrick bought a lot across the street from them almost at the top of the hill and not far from the old chapel.
David Owen sold land on Cranberry Point to John Patterson, the land Stephen Patterson had lived on. John Patterson was related to Stephen, probably his father's brother. By 1822 John Patterson was a successful importer; he had two vessels, the 'Mary Stubbs' 107 tons, and the 'Eliza Ann' 398 tons, the latter being the largest vessel in Passamaquoddy. His trade was in rum and molasses.
A William McLean was on Campobello, a business man.
By 1825 regular service was established - a steamboat between Nova Scotia, Eastport, Portland and Boston. A smaller steamboat, the 'Tom Thum' ran between Eastport and St. John. A ferry boat ran at the Narrows between Flagg's Neck (Lubec) and Campobello.
Family names that began to appear on the Island records about 1820. Many had been on the Island for some time.
Silas Leonard Thomas Wentworth
Thomas Norton John Wentworth
William Hardy James Nelson
James Dunophin William Ferris
Duncan Davidson James Campbell
James Heney Fred Harvey
James Lawler James Harvey
Charles Bonner John Batson
Stephen Morrison John Small
John Morrison John Hennaberry
John Reynolds Benjamin Sprague
Benjamin Reynolds John Baity
Nathaniel Jones Thaddeus Stimpson (Simpson?)
Duncan Davidson was with some loyalists that first settled on the Magaguadavic. John Morrison is known only by the fact he died of typhoid fever and his was the only tombstone ever found on the grave yard on Deer Point.
Thomas Wentworth settled at LeTete and his daughters, Sophia married Daniel Hilyard and settled at Campobello; Susan (Wentworth) married 1st, Allen Porter, 2nd, Stephen Matthews; Abigail (Wentworth) married Bartholomew Brown.
John Batson's name appears but he was born on the Island and probably always lived there.
A Lawrence Batson had been on the Island since 1796 and had a son Thomas. The descendants of John and Thomas claim they are not related. The same seems to be true of the Parkers. According to tradition there are two distinct lines - the descendants of Jonathan and the descendants of Richard, John and Thomas.
The various families of Calders are all descended from old Robert Calder.
The Mitchells descend from William.
David Owen assumed sole ownership in the Island in his mind by adverse possession. In 1829 he mad a deed to Rear Admiral Edward Campbell Rich Owen and his brother, Capt. William Fitz-William Owen, sons of his uncle Capt. William Owen, deceased.
In October he conveyed a plot at the northeast extreme of Campobello on which the lighthouse is erected, with one acre.
He made bequests in his will of 50 pounds each to Price Owen Flagg and to David Owen Russel. To Hannah Smith he cites her long and faithful service and gives her most of his possessions, money, etc. But Hannah must bring up or cause to be brought up, maintain and educate David Owen Russel until he comes to 21 years of age.
He gave to David Owen Russel a certain house and lot of land in the town plot of Lubec, also the residue of the term of lease on land he purchased of David Tinker on Campobello. Also, 100 pounds cash to David Owen Russel and Price Owen Flagg at the age of 25.
David Owen died in December 1829. He wished to be shipped home which was done.
Capt. William Fitz-William Owen, youngest son of Capt. William Owen became sole owner of Campobello in 1835, buying up the claim of William Owen, Jr. for 2500 pounds and for 11 shillings, love and affection from his older brother, Sir. E.C.R. Owen.
Business was bad and times were tough. John Patterson's business failed and he sold his house and store to Joseph Patch who had come to the Island about 1825, married Nancy Lank, daughter of William and Nancy Lank.
In 1827 the brothers Robert and James Wilson, who inheirited the land from their mother, Mary in 1806, decided to make disposition of their property. They deeded to Robert Stover at Pollock Cove. Another deed went to Daniel Clark who had married in the Wilson family. After the death of David Owen they engaged Mr. Hatheway to survey their lands.
Hannah Smith died in 1834, an old lady. Hannah left a bequest of 25 pounds to Miss Mary Ann Mitchell; and to Louise Phinney, her housekeeper, for steady and faithful service, she left a feather bed and other household articles. The bulk of her estate went to the Foreign British Bible Society.
In June, 1835 a report of Mr. Mather, agent to Capt. F-W Owen states there are about 400 miserable fishermen left.
William Fitz-William Owen, born 1774, died 1857 at St. John, NB, served in the British Navy. He was the son of Captain William and resumably Sarah Haslam, his housekeeper, one of two known illegitimate sons of this couple. WFW Owen married at 44 and had two daughters. He styled himself "the Quoddy Hermit." He built his house on the west side of Queen Street, the sections he brought with him, the frame came from a house on Frederic Island. They lived richly and entertained every chance.
He began many improvements on the Island, widening roads, etc. He had officers and commissioners appointed to oversee various offices.
There was still no public school. About 1840 John Williams arrived and taught at several places on the Island. The 1851 Census lists four schools. There were no churches when the Admiral arrived except the small chapel that David Owen built on the high hill above Whale Boat Cove. St. Anne's Church was built in 1855. The building and graveyard were consecrated that year.
The Jonathan Parker family has an old tradition of wealth on Long Island, New York before the war.
Aneke Jans was a Dutch woman, daughter of Jans Weber, supposedly the
son of Prince William 10th of Orange. She married in Holland to Roeloff
Jansen and came to America about 1630. Roeloff was granted 62 acres
on the island of Manhattan in 1633. He died and Aneke and the children
inherited the farm.
Later she married teh Rev. Evardus Bogardus whose land abutted hers. He died and Aneke inherited his land also. In 1654 title was confirmed and after her death confirmed to her heirs. In 1671, with one exception, the heirs conveyed the land to the English governor. Aneke's son, Cornelius Bogardus died after his mother and his widow and son did not sign. Aneke had a daughter, Sara who married Hans Kiersted. They had a grandson, Lucas Kiersted who married Maria Rykeman. A daughter of this branch married a Hicks and their daughter Sarah Ann Hicks married William Galley of Kingston, NB formerly from Manchester, England and who came to Campobello in 1840. This "fortune" was still being kept alive in 1825.
The most famous "fortune" story is the Mitchell or Hondoras one. There are three different versions. William Mitchell who was at Grand Manan and then Campobello had a brother who went to Hondoras. Some say William was there for awhile and also the Small's (William Mitchell's wife was Anna Small) and also the Tucker's (Anna Small's mother was a Tucker.) Around 1830 a notice was said to appear in the Eastport Sentinel advertising for the heirs of Hugh Tucker. Then the Mitchells and Smalls were notified of a large fortune. Nothing ever developed. At one time Nehemiah Mitchell, grandson of William was going to go down but that never happened.
Isaac Brooks Thurber came from Long Island, NS (now Westport.) His father was Mark Thurber, a member of a loyalist family that had received a grant in Digby after the war. They settled on land at the Knubble at the very end of North Road where some of the Mitchells had settled earlier.
Joshua Marston Chute came from Chute's Cove at the head of the Bay of Fundy. His father was David Morse Chute who came from Massachusetts to Hampton, NS in 1817. Joshua M. Chute was 7th in direct descent from Lionel Chute who arrived at New England in 1636 and was known as the "Old Ipswich Schoolmaster." Joshua married Irene Malloch, daughter of Peter, minister of the gospel, but also engaged in fish and ship building in Eastport, ME. Peter later moved to Campobello with a large family and settled at first on North Road.
George Follis and Walter Powers also took lots on North Road.
Jonathan Bartlett had a wharf and store at the end of Deer Point.
Edward Lank, son of old William bought the lot opposite Curry's house where the Anglican minister had had his parsonage.
Julia Curry, widow, took a house and lot on the lower street.
James M. Parker, a grandson of Richard or John, had a lot on the lower street near the wharf.
William Mabee, Charles Reed Hatheway, Joel Patrick, Malcolm Greene, Ann Osmond, Thaddeus Stimson and Isaac Rice all had lots in town.
Beyond Church Hill were other newcomers. Among them, Hugh Simpson who came with his brother Amos about 1845. He took land facing Friar's Bay not far from where Hibbard Hunt, Jr. had lived in the early days.
Others buying in Friar's Bay were William Lank, another son of the first William; John Taylor, John Batson, Owen Parker and John Farmer. Peter Dewade and Alfred Todd were also living there.
Stephen Wilcox bought land at Snug Cove and Price Flagg bought at Union Cove.
Some of the Admiral's retinue married and settled on the Island. Alice Cameron married Hibbard Batson, son of John and Sarah Batson. Mary Reilly married Ed Mahar, a descendant of the first Edmund Mahar and their daughter married George Tinker.
John Farmer, the Admiral's right hand man and secretary, married Esther Gregg, a daughter of John Gregg who bought up a large section of Tyn-y-coed farm.
Most of the others returned to England.
Two Englishmen, John Alexander and James Vennell a Schoolmaster, and an Irishman, Luke Byron settled in or near the village.
Other Irish families arrived. Charles Mulholland had been established at the Narrows since David Owen's time and the Gallaghers, Gilligans, McGuires and McGowans arrived about 1840 and settled at Bunker Hill.
At. Curry's Cove more new settlers arrived. The Admiral gave the settlement the name of "Sarawac" now pronounced "Sowak." It is located between Welshpool and Wilson's Beach.
David Tinker had left North Road may years before and rented land on Wind Mill Point. His brother William had married Rebecca, one of old Jonathan Parker's daughters and had bought Jonathan's house on the Wilson line and most of Wind Mill Point.
The Malloch family had spread over from the North Road and were settled on the old Stafford farm.
A Frederick Cook arrived in 1842 and bought 2 acres on the end of Wind Mill Point.
John Newman, of a loyalist family from the St. John River settled first at Bunker Hill and then on the old Eldridge farm and finally bought land of the Wilsons.
The Matthews now bought the farm they had leased in the early days.
Henry Serles bought land at Curry's Cove but most of the Serles moved to Head Harbor and some to the Wilson side.
Nathaniel Phinney bought land at Otter Cove.
Robert Henderson and James Savage arrived on the Island and William Cline from Deer Island appeared at this time. He was a descendant of George Cline, a loyalist from Bristol, ME, who was recruiting Sgt. during the war and had been a prisoner at Philadelphia. William Cline and his son George lived for many years at Head Harbor Island and were pilots.
Joseph Patch married Nancy Lank and bought the old Patterson house.
Admiral Owen's daughter, Portia married in 1836 to Clement Hemery the younger, of the Island of Jersey, who was a wine merchant. Her father performed the ceremony. She left the Island for Jersey.
In 1839 Admiral Owen's younger daughter, Cornelia married Lt. John James Robinson, RN. In 1845 at the age of 34 he returned on 1/2 pay and made Campobello his home.
In 1852 Lady Owen died.
In 1848 a trust was made for Hemery, Robinson and John Campbell Allen of Frederickton to conduct the affairs of the Island. Admiral Owen spent more time at St. John and at the age of 81, in 1855, he married Mrs. Solomon Nicholson, formerly Ann Vernon, of St. John. He died November 3, 1857 and was buried on the Island.
Under the will of Sir E. W. C. Owen, Robinson, Cornelia Owen's husband took the surname of Owen. Capt. & Mrs Robinson-Owen had four children: Owen Campobello born 1840; Portia born 1842; John Hemery born 1845; Cornelia Ramsay born 1847.
In 1861 the population of the Island was 1,039 which comprised 180 families.
Six denominations were listed in 1861: Baptist - 607; Church of England - 276; Roman Catholic - 96; Methodist - 4; Presbyterian - 16; Congregational - 2; One who refused to identify himself; 17 unaccounted.
In 1864 the militia on the Island:
Lt. Col. - James Brown
Capts - B. Fitzgerald; John McIntosh; C.E.O. Hatheway; Joseph Patch; John Leeman
Lts - John Chaffey; Warren Worster; John Farmer; Adjutant Henry Conley; Owen Parker; James Leonard; Charles Savage
Ensigns - William Cheney; Porter Dexter; William Harvey; John Leonard; Henry
Leeman; Luke Byron; W. D. Hart; Simon Leonard
Quartermaster - John Kay
Surgeon - Charles Gun
By 1866 the militia was disorganized. However the Fenian "invasion" occurred that year. The Fenian Brotherhood was a secret revolutionary society founded in America in 1858 to establish a republican government in Ireland. A force of several hundred armed men were sent to Eastport in April 1866 for the purpose of taking Campobello. The expedition failed and was later called by the Fenians "The Campobello Fiasco." They did seize the British flag at Indian Island from the Customs officer and burned four warehouses there. The NB government sent a large force to the border and the Fenians dispersed. This incident helped the cause of Canadian confereration.
The Civil War in America played no significant role in the Island. A few "skeedaddlers" arrived at Campobello, so-called neutrals living on the American side but they were not looked on with favor by the islanders and soon left.
Capt. Robinson-Owen began to require that the people pay their rents in English gold - no paper money - because of the American Civil War. This created hardships for them and leases were cancelled overnight - many had to let their farms go. The tenants on the Island were unhappy with the Captain and would not cooperate with him at all.
By 1872 Capt. Owen's health was poor. His oldest son, Sir Owen C had served in China and was ill; his 2nd son, John Hemery died at sea in 1870; his daughter Portia became a nun in the Community of St. John the Baptist in New York; his daughter Cornelia was engaged to Lt. Basil Edward Cochran, RN. He was a Commander serving on the 'Britomart' which had been stationed at Halifax, NS but cruised the Passamaquoddy since the Fenian invasion. Cornelia would be leaving the Island after her marriage. Capt. Owen put the Island on the market in 1872.
The contract to sell the Island fell through and in April 1874 the Captain died while at Frederickton. Mrs. Owen managed the Island affairs.
A few families arrived during this time: Robert Allingham from St. John who first settled at Wilson's Beach then on North Road and finally on the Herring Cove Road.
Lowell Kelley from Ireland settled at Snug Cove and married a Patch.
Edward North from England settled on the North Road.
Jeremiah Finch and David Renouf settled on North Road.
William Edward Gough from Windsor, NS who had shipped on Owen Parker's vessel and was at the Madeline Islands trading in fish, married the daughter of Michael Chapman who had bought land at Friar's Bay.
Chester Townsend settled on Harbor de Loutre having been sent for by John Farmer to run the mill.
Benjamin Phillips settled at Mill Cove.
Charles Fletcher settled at Sarawac.
Several lots of land were sold, mostly to the sons of the "old families" Hannah Shannon, Owen Parker, George Batson, Daniel Hilyard, Louisa Moses, Isaiah Newman, John Farmer, Cadwallader Flagg, Hibbard Batson, Michael Chapman, William Best, John Porter, William Beatty.
In the 1870s a bonded warehouse was established for imported liquor. Most of this business was done by Lincoln Parker and George Batson.
REv. Peter Malloch's daughter had married Marsden Chute and had volunteered as a home missionary and in 3 years, with her sister Susan Malloch and Jane Adeline Calder, daughter of John Calder had raised $1,000 to build a meeting house, a Free Will Baptis Church, 1874.
James Wilson, son of the pioneer Robert deeded in 1843 to his son Simon all his property. Simon died without a will. The property was finally sold at public auction to the new general store man, Howard Jackson, he also buying in old James' house and land around it.
In 1880 Mrs. Owen was 60 years old and the Island had become too much for her. In 1881 a group of American gentlemen began negotiating for the sale of Campobello. Mrs. Owen with her daughter Cornelia and two grandchildren, Archie and Grizel, sailed for England.
In June 1881 the Campobello Company with a capital of a million dollars organized.
This is the end of the several parts of Campobello Island history as taken from the notes of an unpublished manuscript of Mary Gallagher now held in the library at Campobello.
Return to Campobello History
Page Mounted 8 Nov 1999 - Marilyn Strout