Wibaux Co History
Wibaux, Montana 1894
Photo: Frank Jay Haynes, 1894


WIBAUX COUNTY, MONTANA
GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Main     History     Stories     Photos     Obituaries     Lookups    Surnames     MTGenWeb Archives

Wibaux County History

Towns and Villages of Wibaux County

Churches in Wibaux County

 

stphillip1.jpg (687582 bytes)1791:The Beaver Creek country was visited by white immigrants as early as 1791. An archaeological find suggests that a party of settlers arrived, possibly from Vermont, planted vegetables, and were then killed in a raid.

1861: "Buffalo" Baird and his three young nephews built a cabin on Beaver Creek.

1864: General George Sully led his troops through the area in pursuit of the Sioux who had taken part in the Sioux Uprisings in Minnesota in 1862.

1876: General George Armstrong Custer passed through the Beaver Creek country on his way to the Little Big Horn.

c.1880-1910, the area was the site of several large cattle operations, including that of Frenchman Pierre Wibaux. Several Wibaux families today are descended from Wibaux's ranch hands and employees.

One of Wibaux's partners was Gustave Grisy. Gus and his wife Minnie operated the post office, and the village was named for them - "Mingusville." Earlier names were "Keith" and "Beaver." It was renamed "Wibaux" later, after Pierre Wibaux.

The settlement of Wibaux County by homesteaders followed the railroad. Many came from Minnesota in the peak years of 1909 and 1910. Life on the prairie was difficult but rewarding; however, climatic changes after about 1916 lessened the chances of success in farming, and only those who could adapt to "dry-land farming" remained. After a peak in about 1920, the population of Wibaux and Wibaux County, as in most of eastern Montana, has slowly declined. Where once there were several small towns, now only the county seat of Wibaux remains.

Return to top

Towns and Villages of Wibaux County

(With the exception of Wibaux, and a few buildings at St. Phillip's and Carlyle, all of these places have disappeared.)

  • Been
  • Brenizer
  • Carlyle
  • Cedar
  • Dennis
  • Edgehill
  • St. Phillip's
  • Wibaux
  • Yates
  • Camp McIntosh
  • Keith
  • Mingusville

Return to top

Churches in Wibaux County

  • Christian Fundamental Church (formerly Congregational Church--reorganized in 1928)
  • Methodist Church
  • Trinity Lutheran Church
  • St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church (building now owned by Trinity Lutheran)
  • St. Philip's Catholic Church
  • St. Peter's Catholic Church
  • Calvary Temple Assembly of God

 

Return to top

 

USGenWeb Notice: "In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, Data may be freely used by non-commercial entities as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation." Any files submitted by contributors remains their property and their name will be added to the information submitted. If you arrived here by way of a site that has charged you a fee to access any part of this website, you have been misled. This site is provided free of charge and is not affiliated in any way with any such site.

This page last updated January 25, 2014.
All rights to contributed materials and photos remain with original authors. 
No unauthorized copying or distribution allowed.