Franklin County, MS

American History & Genealogy Project

Communities & Towns




Many of the community names found in Franklin County are not even found on the General County Highway map for Franklin County.  Many of  the smaller communities don’t even have a store or gasoline station, but in earlier times they may have been the center of activity in their particular area.  Some of the communities were named for early settlers, some were named for towns or cities in other countries, and some are named for water courses.    The information for the towns and villages for the following list comes from sources including:  The Franklin County Highway Map,  The History or Franklin County from 1809 to 1899 by W. W. Lambright, and The History of Franklin County until 1861 by William Hadskey, and recollections from people who are familiar with the area.   Franklin County is one of the more sparsely populated counties in the country.



Bonus is a farming community on a dirt farm road about five miles or so north of Meadville not far from the Jefferson County line.  Bonus was established as a post office in 1900.



Bude is a thriving metropolis located in the middle of the county which has a city government, library, an enormous saw mill, a restaurant, a motel, a grocery store and several gasoline stations.  It is located on Highway 84 a couple miles southeast of Meadville and it is on the Illinois Central railroad line.  The population of Bude is about 950 people making it the largest town in Franklin County.  Bude was formed in 1912 and named for the old home in England of Mrs. F. L. Peck whose husband was one of the founders of the town.



Bunckley is a farming community which was originally named for the Bunckley family who were early Franklin County settlers who operated a ferry on the Homochitto River in the 1840s.  It is sometimes known as Bunckley's Ferry.   Bunckley is located north of the Homochitto River in the south central part of Franklin County.  It is about four miles east of Knoxville and the road from Knoxville to Bunckley was called “The Bunckley Ferry road”.



Butler is located one mile northwest of Meadville and known locally as Butler's Switch. Butler was established in 1908 by Erastus Butler who opened a sawmill on this site.  This one-time sawmill town is now listed as being extinct.



Celco was located one mile west of McCall’s Creek.   Celco was established and named by the Central Lumber Company in 1912.  The place was known as the Celco Mill until it was discontinued in 1919.



Dick is a farm community about three miles south of Bude on Highway 98 that goes to Summit.



Dot is a farm community on the south side of the Homochitto River below Bunckley.  It is located between Bunckley and the Amite County border.



Eddiceton is a farming community located about four miles north east of Bude on Highway 84.  There is a lumber processing plant south of the highway and a gasoline station and store on the north side of the highway.  Eddiceton was formed in 1907 and named for Miss Eddice Dodds, daughter of Dr. A. M. Dodds who once owned the land where the town was located.  In the past Eddiceton was known for the number of cucumbers raised in the area and brought to the pickling vat located there.



Flat Rock was a farming community located twelve miles southwest of Meadville.



Franklin is a tiny community located east of Highway 33 on the farm road that goes to a County lake.  The farm road is about 6 miles south of Roxie.  This town was on the original road between Meadville and Natchez and at one time it had a court house, a tavern and stores.  The third railroad to be built in Mississippi completed installation of tracks between Natchez and Franklin in 1839.  Regular train service between Franklin and Natchez began on September 1, 1839. At one time it was the county seat.



Freewoods is a farming community located several miles down an unpaved road about 2 or 3 miles south east of Knoxville.



Garden City was established southwest of Roxie toward Knoxville in the late 1880’s by a Dutchman from New York who chose the name, Garden City.  In its early days this was a thriving settlement with a sawmill, planing mill,  and a woodworking shop.  The town also was the home of one of the early newspapers in the area, The Southern Progress.  The town was laid out in streets with paved sidewalk and boasted a hotel, church, school, and several stores but gradually the citizens moved away until Garden City became nothing more than a ghost town.  Garden City is today a farming community located about one mile south of Knoxville on Highway 33 not far from the Amite County border. 



Hamburg, which was named for the town in Germany of the same name by Mrs. Soloman Beck, was a thriving little town for many years with hotels, stores, and a train station because of the railroad.  The town once had a doctor and lawyer and a few merchants, a post office, a cotton gin and a race track.  When the railroad was removed in 1948 many of the people moved away or died out and the town perished.  Today the old train depot sits forlorn next to a roadbed which no longer has trackage and there is a single dilapidated store across the main street.  There are a few occupied houses but this is all that remains of this once vibrant town.  Hamburg is located off to the east side of Highway 33 about 6 or 7 miles south of Fayette and about the same distance north of Roxie.  It is about twelve or thirteen miles west of Meadville as the crow flies.  The original settlement was one mile from its present site as the town moved to the railroad when it was built through the area and was incorporated in 1886.



Herring was named for Aaron Herring who was one of the early Franklin County settlers.  This community was located ten miles out of Meadville. Herring was established as a flag stop on the Y & M V Railroad.  A few years later, the stop was discontinued and Herring became extinct.


HOLLY – See Monroe



Kennolia is located in the northeast corner of Franklin County not far from the Lincoln County line both to the north and to the east.  It is located approximately six miles north of Lucien. Kennolia was named for the Kennedy and Oliver families who lived in that area.  Family tradition says that John Oliver was postmaster at Kennolia, and that it was he who named it after the two families. He was a Postmaster and teacher in that area. His parents were Cyrus Lofton and Adeline Wright Oliver. Cyrus was a minister at Damascus Church, and was killed in the Civil War. John was stricken with polio at an early age.



Kirby is a farming community on a farm road and on the Illinois Central rail line to the north of Highway 84 northwest of Meadville and northeast of Roxie.  Kirby was established in 1906 as a water tank on the Mississippi Central Railroad and named for Dr. Kirby Magee.  There was a sawmill and post office established at a later date but both have long since been discontinued.  Kirby is about midway between Hamburg and Meadville on the farm road.



Knoxville is a farming community which  was named for the Knox family who moved to the area from Amite County.  Knoxville is located in southwest Franklin County on Highway 33 not far from the Amite-Franklin County border.  Located twenty-five miles southwest of Meadville, the town was formed in the 1880's.  Knoxville was incorporated on March 15, 1886.



Little Springs is a farming community located about seven miles southeast of Eddiceton in the southeastern part of Franklin County.  It is about  fourteen miles east of Meadville and was named for the large number of springs located in the community.  This was the site of the first high school in the county and was taught by W. H. Weathersby.  Congressman Daniel Rayford McGehee was from Little Springs.



Lolly was located twenty miles southwest of Meadville, was never more than a spur line of the Y & M V Railroad established about 1909 as a log stop.  Log stops were special stops used only for loading logs from the many logging operations in the area.



Lucien is a farming community on Highway 84 in eastern Franklin County about one mile west of the Franklin-Lincoln County line.  Lucien was founded when the Mississippi Central Railroad was built through this section and was named for Lucien Scott who owned a store at the site where the station was built.



McCall Creek is a community located near Highway 84 in eastern Franklin County about two miles from the Franklin-Lincoln County line.  It is between Lucien to the east and Quentin to the west.  McCall Creek was formed in 1907 as a sawmill town and named for a creek which had been named for the McCall family who were early settlers in the local area.  Incorporated in 1911, the town was once a busy place with the operation of a sawmill and a pickle vat, the latter being used by the farmers who grew cucumbers.  McCall Creek still has a post office, a sawmill and one store.


MEADVILLE - Present County Seat

Meadville was named for Cowles Mead.  It is the Franklin County seat.   It in centrally located in Franklin County about two miles north of Highway 84 and it has a court house, library, several churches, several stores, a couple of law offices, Franklin Memorial Hospital, Franklin Funeral Home, offices of the Franklin Advocate, and a veterinarian.  It is located more or less in the middle of the county a couple of miles north off Highway 84.  The population of Meadville is about 450 people making it the third largest town in Franklin County. Described by Dunbar Rowland in Mississippi Vol. 2 L-Z in 1907 on page 215 as follows: "the county seat of Franklin County, is situated at the geographical center of the county on Morgan's Fork, an affluent of the Homochitto River and 10 miles east of Roxie, the nearest railroad station.  Gloster is the nearest banking town.  The town became the seat of justice about 1820, the original county seat having been located at Franklin about 2 1/2 miles to the west.  It was named for Cowles Mead, second Secretary of the Territory.  It ships cotton and molasses.  The Franklin Advocate, a Democratic Weekly, was established here in 1891, and is edited and published by Butler & Co.  Population in 1900, 250." 



Mile Branch community is located about one-half miles west of Meadville.  It was no more than a farm settlement in 1910 and was named for a nearby creek.  The Franklin County Poor Farm was located here.



Misco was located five miles west of Roxie. This extinct settlement is said to have been formed by a family by that name in 1920.



Monroe is a farming community located south of Highway 84 approximately a mile east of Bude.  In 1817 was known as Holly and served as a voting precinct as well as a post office.  It was here that horse races, fights, and liquor were found by the early settlers and was also known as an Indian Trading Post.  The settlement was named Monroe in 1910 for a family by that name and was incorporated in 1912.



This community is named for the water course nearby.  There was a post office there in the 1870’s.



The Mount Olive community appears to have been named for the church in the local area. The community is located about two miles southeast of Bunckley below the Homochitto River on a paved farm road near the Amite County border.



The New Hope farming community is approximately six miles north of Bude and six miles west of Oldenburg.



This community was named for the town in Germany where the Lehmann family came from.  The main landmark in this community is the Oldenburg Presbyterian Church.  The community is located seven miles east of Hamburg, MS This small settlement formed in 1906.  The distance is the same between the two towns of the same name in Germany.



Orange is a farming community located about three miles due south of Hamburg and about a half mile east of Highway 33.  Orange was a log stop established in 1909 on the Y & M V Railroad. 



Pine Grove was a farming community.  It was a voting precinct in District 2 in the mid to late 1800’s in Franklin County.



Quentin is a farming community located on Highway 84 about two miles east of Eddiceton. Quentin was once a thriving sawmill town.  The village was formed in 1920 as a company town for the Quentin Lumber company and named for Quentin Roosevelt.



Christmas Eve, 1929 - Photo contributed by Bettie Mann

Roxie is located in western Franklin County south of Highway 84 about seven miles from the Adams County border. Roxie before the demise of the railroad in 1948 was a thriving town with hotels, stores and much mercantile activity.  While the hotels and many of the stores are gone it is still has a large population by Franklin County standards and is the third largest community in the county.  Roxie was named for Roxie Graves, the daughter of the first mayor of Roxie.  Roxie has a city government, a volunteer fire department, a few stores and a post office.  The population of Roxie is about 560 people making it the second largest town in Franklin County.  Described by Dunbar Rowland in Mississippi Vol. 2 L-Z in 1907 on page 579 as follows:  "an incorporated post-town in the western part of Franklin County, on the Yazoo and Mississippi Valley R.R., 22 miles east of Natchez.  Fayette is the nearest banking town.  The town sprang into existence in 1885 shortly after the building of the railroad.  A short distance to the north of the town are located the celebrated Franklin Springs, while a few miles to the south are found beds of sandstone used as a building stone.  The town has a Masonic lodge, two churches, and a good school.   Population in 1900, 214."



Smyrna was a farming community.  It was a voting precinct in the mid to late 1800’s in District 1 in Franklin County.



Suffolk is a farming community south of Highway 84 about five miles south of Kirby and about five miles east of Roxie.



The Veto farming community is located in northeastern Franklin County about six miles north of Eddiceton.  When the settlement requested a post office in the early days, the Postal Department asked the citizens to submit names for the office.  Of all the names submitted none were accepted by the postal authorities so the Postal Department decided on the name Veto.



Wheats was located one mile northeast of Eddiceton.  It was established in 1909 as a flag stop on the Mississippi Central Railroad.  The stop was named for a family named Wheat who lived here at that time.



The White Apple farming community is located about three miles south of Roxie on a paved farm road that runs diagonally between Highway 33 to the west and Highway 84 to the north.  It is not to be confused with the Natchez Indian Village of the same name, which was located in Adams County.



Williams also known as Williams Switch, was located five miles southeast of Lucien.  It was established in 1918.  The place was named for the Williams family  but became extinct when the timber was exhausted.



Worthington was located two miles southeast of McCall Creek, was established in 1907.  Worthington was named for the Worthington Construction Company who built the Mississippi Central Railroad through this section.  There was a post office located here at one time but it was discontinued in favor of Rural Free Delivery.


Thanks to Tony Miller for MUCH help with compiling this list!




© 2002-2005 by for  the  American History & Genealogy Project

All rights reserved. This information may be used by libraries and genealogical societies, however commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owner. If copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information.