Biographies L - MoGenWeb



A B C D E FG H J K L M NO
P R S TU W Y




Martin Larsen

Martin Larsen, a native of Denmark, was born in the city of Odensen December 24, 1833, and is a son of Christian M. and Stena (Martensteeter) Larsen, both natives of Denmark. The father was a farmer and followed this occupation in Denmark all his life. He died there several years ago. He was the father of five children - three sons and two daughters - four now living: Christian M. (who resides in Denmark), Markin, Anna M. and Caroline M. Christian (the one deceased) had followed the sea from the time he was eight years old and was drowned at sea when about thirty years of age. Marin Larsen was reared to farm life in Denmark and remained at home until fourteen years of age, when he was obliged to start out in life for himself. He worked for wages until 1859, when he took a notion to come to America. In June of the last named year, he bade home and friends, farewell, took passage on a steamer at Liverpool and sailed for New York After reaching the city he came on through to Poplar Bluffs, where he worked for about six months, buying a little piece of government land which was heavily timbered and not being used to the ax had to begin learning. He made some improvements on the place, and then, completely disgusted, gave it back to the government. He then went on up to Bloomfield, where he hired to Henry Miller, working for him seven long years by the month. By economy he had saved enough to buy him a farm of 160 acres, about two miles north of where he now lives and there he resided for four years. He now has 600 acres of land, 400 under a good state of cultivation. He is one of Stoddard County's substantial farmers and has made every dollar he owns by the sweat of his brow. He can now live in peace and enjoy the fruits of his labor. In 1868 Louisa Edwards became his wife. To them were born five children, four now living: Preston, Christian P., Alnestena and William. Mr. Larsen is a member of the Lutheran Church.


Elisha H. Launius

Elisha H. Launius, farmer at Bloomfield, was born in Stokes County, N.C., April 26, 1841 and is the son of Jonathan and Elvira (Jones) Launius, both natives of North Carolina. The paternal grandfather came from Germany and settled in North Carolina, where he died. Jonathan Launius immigrated to Gibson County, Tenn., in 1843 and there purchased a farm, where he remained until 1858 when he immigrated to Stoddard County, Mo., moving there in wagons. He located in Bloomfield, built a blacksmith shop and there carried on his trade for four years. He then purchased a farm near Castorville, engaged in farming and continued at this two years, when he removed to Scott County and carried on blacksmithing again for two or three years. He then came back to his farm, where he remained until his death in 1868. The mother died in 1870. They were the parents of seven children, two now living. Elisha H. and Louisa (wife of Samuel Worley). Elisha H. was about seventeen years old when his parents came to Stoddard County. He remained with them until the breaking out of the late war, when he enlisted in Jeff. Thompson's State Guards, and served six months. He participated in Big River Bridge engagement and in several skirmishes. In November 1862, he enlisted in Company I. Price's command and was in the battle at Cape Girardeau. In July 1863 he was captured by Davidson's command near Wittsburg, Ark. And was taken to Alton, Ill. Where he was kept for eight months. He was taken from there to Fort Delaware, where he was kept for twelve months and then exchanged. He then heard of the surrender and came home, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits. July 9, 1865 he married Miss Sarah Barham, who bore him two children, James N. and Thomas H. Mrs. Launius died November 19, 1870 and he married a Miss Hannah Barham, in October 1871, who bore him two children one boy and one girl, John W. and Lizzie A. After marriage Mr. Launius located on his present farm where he has since lived. He owns 163 acres of land about 100 of which are under cultivation and well improved. He is a member of the Agricultural Wheel, and he and wife are members of the Baptist Church.


David Lewis

Rev. David Lewis, minister of the Baptist Church, and a son of Micajah and Hannah (Blanton) Lewis, was born in Warren County, Tenn., October 2, 1813. His parents were natives of Virginia and immigrated to Tennessee at quite an early day. In 1833 they loaded all their effects in wagons and started for Missouri, landing in what is now Stoddard County in December of the same year, and soon erected a log house near Castor River. Here they moved and began pioneer life, but sickness soon overtook Mr. Lewis, and he was called from his earthly cares, leaving his widow and eight children to mourn their loss. None of the children were grown, with the exception of David and his eldest sister. The former took care of the family and did the best he could until his marriage which occurred February 25, 1836 to Miss Elizabeth Lawrence. He then located on the farm where he now lives in January 1837 and has been a resident of this farm since that date. When he first settled on this farm, wild animals were in abundance and the cabins of the settlers were always supplied with wild meats. Mr. Lewis now owns 140 acres of land all well improved. He was brought up in the Baptist faith, and began to preach a few years after coming to this county. In 1846 he was ordained to preach the gospel and this he had done ever since doing much good in ministering to the spiritual wants, of man. To his marriage were born ten children, only three of whom are now living: Susan (wife of J.Y. Evans), Elanor (wife of John P. Barham) and Nancy R. (wife of George W. Babbitt). Mr. Lewis is a member of the Masonic fraternity and is quite an aged man, but his memory is fresh and vivid. He can relate many incidents connected with his pioneer life, which are very interesting. His grandfather, David Lewis, moved to Madison County, Ky., where was killed by the Indians during the Indian War.


Joseph Guild Lewis

Joseph Guild Lewis, a citizen of Pike Township, Stoddard Co., Mo., and the son of Joseph Cooper and Elizabeth (Hitt) Lewis, was born near Cape Girardeau, Cape Girardeau Co., Mo., August 10, 1836. The father was born in New Madrid Co., Mo., September 9, 1806 and died in Cape Girardeau co., Mo., December 8, 1853. When a young man, Mr. Lewis worked on a flat boat on the Mississippi River, and also carried on farming. He was a justice of the peace for many years. His parents came to New Madrid County at a very early date and were among the first settlers of Missouri. They moved, to Cape Girardeau County, about 1812. Elizabeth (Hitt) Lewis it is thought, was born in Cape Girardeau County, Mo., November 8, 1806 and died in the same county April 28, 1870. She was a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. Of their eight children, Joseph Guild Lewis was the fifth, and is the only one now living. He secured a good practical education, and remained at home until December 4, 1856, when he married Miss Nicey E. English, a native of Cape Girardeau County, Mo. This union resulted in the birth of nine children, seven of whom are now living: Simeon E., Thomas R., Joseph G., Margaret Elizabeth, Robert L., George L., John c., Louisa E. and Mina C. Those deceased are Margaret E. and Robert L. Mrs. Lewis was the daughter of Thomas and Louisa (Brooks) English, he born in Georgia and she in Missouri. After marriage, Mr. Lewis began farming for himself in Cape Girardeau County, continuing until May 1861 when he enlisted in Capt. William Jeffrey's company of State Militia, and served six months, when he went into Capt. John Cobb's company (B), Col. Jeffrey's regiment, Confederate army, and after serving six months as a private, was made lieutenant, and served in that capacity until the close of the war. He was in all the principal battles west of the Mississippi River, and was never wounded or taken prisoner. One year later he sold his property in Cape Girardeau and moved to Stoddard County, where he purchased a farm of 440 acres. In 1878 he was elected sheriff of the county, and two years later was re-elected. Mr. Lewis is a Democrat in politics, is a member of the Masonic lodge, also a member of the Wheel, and he and wife and three sons are members of the Christian Church.


George J. Ligon

Maj. George J. Ligon was born in Virginia, in Buckingham County, July 22, 1832. Henry A. and Louisa (Bell) Ligon were his parents. The father was a Virginian, and in 1847 the family moved to Weakley County, Tenn., where the father died in 1856. The mother died in Virginia while George was a child. Young Ligon remained in Tennessee until in 1852 he crossed the plains to seek the glittering fields of California. He returned, however in 1854 by way of Panama, Havana and New Orleans, to Hickman County, Ky. Here in 1856 he married Mary E. Wilkerson, a native of Virginia. She died about five years later, and in 1863 he married Lucy A., a daughter of Judge Parker, of Hickman, Ky. After two years of farming in Kentucky he moved to Mississippi County Mo., and after the death of his first wife he joined Company B, First Kentucky Regiment, under Gen. Forrest. He served in a number of engagements, and was severely wounded at Harrisburg and disabled from duty. He was also a prisoner, but was recaptured. After the conflict ended he became a farmer in Kentucky and after a six years' residence there moved to Stoddard County, Mo., in 1872 and located on the estate he now owns. His children are Matnie P., Katie M. and Bettie E. (the deceased wife of Col. Malone). Maj. Ligon was engaged more or less during eleven years as a brick-mason. The war found him as a man of some wealth, but left him destitute. His energy and pluck, however, have recovered much of it. He is a member of the Agricultural Wheel and his wife belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church.


William G. Lincoln

William G. Lincoln, a citizen of Stoddard County, and president of Zion Wheel No. 214, was born in Bollinger County, Mo., but what was then Cape Girardeau County, July 22, 1833 and is the son of Absalom and Mary (Baker) Lincoln, who were natives of North Carolina and who came to Southeast Missouri and located in what is now Bollinger County at a very early date. They moved to Stoddard County in 1841 and there passed the remainder of their days. He died in 1868 and she in 1856. He was a farmer, but was also a house carpenter and mechanic. During the late war he served in Company B, of the Twelfth Missouri Cavalry, Federal service, for two years. He and wife are members of the Baptist Church, and he is a Democrat in his political views. Seven children were born to their marriage, three now living. William G., Elisha B., Antony J. and William R. Martha E. was killed by a runaway horse. She was eleven years old. When first married, Mr. Lincoln entered 240 acres of government land. He now has 310 acres of as good land as is to be found in the county. In the fall of 1863 he enlisted in the State service, and was made lieutenant, serving a short time. He and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church, of which he has been Deacon since 1867. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and is at present serving as Tyler, and is, as is stated above, president of the Zion Wheel. He is a Democrat, politically. In 1856 at the close of the war, he was elected coroner, but would not accept the position. He at all times supports the cause of education and religion, as well as all public enterprises, and takes great interest in Sunday-schools, etc.


Bedford B. Lockard

Judge Bedford B. Lockard was born in Breckinridge County, Ky., February 11, 1835 and is the son of Boyle D. and Rhoda B. (Trent) Lockard. Boyle D. Lockard was born in Bedford County, Va., March 11, 1808 and died in Breckinridge County, Ky., October 31, 1881. He came from Virginia to Kentucky, when a young man and in that State passed the remainder of his days. He was a sign-writer and painter by trade, but after working at this a few years, gave it up and engaged in farming, but afterward gave this up and became a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church. He administered to the spiritual wants of the people for about thirty years, and was a great and successful revivalist. His father, Philip Lockard, was a native of Scotland and came to America before the Revolutionary War. He fought in that war on the American side. Rhoda B. (Trent) Lockard was born in Breckinridge County, Ky., October 21, 1812 and died on her birthday in 1842. Judge Bedford B. Lockard was the second of six children, four now living, born to his parents. He received the rudiments of an education in the common schools and at the age of twenty served an apprenticeship as a painter, and worked at his trade for two years, when he became overseer for B. & R.M. Wathon, in Breckinridge County, Ky., and remained with them two years, when September 7, 1859 he married Miss Martha E. Maddox a native of Breckinridge County, Ky., who was born May 20, 1843 and died in Stoddard County, Mo., November 13, 1862, leaving two sons, Louis N. and Charles H. August 12 1863, Judge Lockard married Miss Sarah E. Cawthon, who was born in New Madrid County, Mo., July 1, 1842, and who bore him ten children, six now living: Idelor, Charlotte Margaret, Sarah B., Cora and Thomas Hendricks. Those deceased are Jerusha Ann, Louisa, Jessa A., Rhoda and Louis N. When first married Judge Lockard turned his attention to farming and this has since been living. In 1880 he was elected judge of Stoddard County and held the office for two years. He is a member of the Christian Church and is a Democrat politically.


© 2001 This page created and placed here by: Connie Perkins
May 2001 for MOGenWeb
This site is a part of the Stoddard County Missouri web site,
hosted by: Connie Perkins
Return to:
Stoddard County Web Site