Biographies J - MoGenWeb



A B C D E FG H J K L M NO
P R S TU W Y




Rufus B. Jones

Rufus B. Jones, a farmer, is a native of Marshall County, Ky., where his birth occurred on October 10, 1847. He is the son of James L. and Sarah (Whitlock) Jones, who were engaged in farming for some time in Marshall County, but are now devoted to dealing in general merchandise at Fair dealing, in that county. They have had four children born to them, but the subject of this sketch is the only one living. Mr. Jones left his Kentucky home when he reached the years of legal manhood and came to Missouri. He located in Essex and began opening up a large farm of timbered land. He had succeeded in placing about twenty acres under cultivation and had a residence and orchard, when in 1874 he concluded to turn his attention to dealing in general merchandise. He gave his time to the business from that time until the spring of 1884, when he returned to his farm, upon which he has since been occupied. Mr. Jones was married in 1865 to Miss Martha A. Greeley, by whom he had four children, one of whom is still living - Eliza. In 1884 he was married the second time. This lady was Miss Tennie Whitlock. Their only child is John W. Mr. Jones is a member of the Baptist Church.


Robert J. Jackson

Robert J. Jackson, M.D. a successful practitioner of Bloomfield, was born in County Cavan, Ireland, November 14, 1842 and is a son of James and Bettie (Walden) Jackson, natives of Scotland. The father was a merchant in the town of Cavan, which occupation he carried on the principal part of his lifetime. He died in 1861 and his wife one year previous. They were the parents of five children, four now living. Dr. Jackson was reared on the farm in County Cavan and remained on the same until about twenty years of age. At the age of nineteen he began the study of medicine in Cavan, where he remained until twenty-one, when he took two courses of lectures. In June 1863, he took passage at Liverpool for America. He landed at New York City and enlisted in the Fifth Corps of New Jersey Volunteers and was in service a short time when he was promoted surgeon in the hospital, which position he occupied for two years and four months. After the war he went to Northwest Missouri, where he continued the study of medicine and graduated from the Missouri Medical College, at St. Louis, in 1868. In 1870 he graduated at the medical college at Nashville, Tenn. In 1876 he began practicing in Bloomfield, where he has since resided and is doing well in his profession. He has built up a large and lucrative practice and is one of the prominent men of Stoddard County. He was married in 1876 to Miss Mollie Crytes, a native of Missouri. This union resulted in the birth of three children: Lizzie, Zelma and Myrtie. Dr. Jackson is an honorary member of the St. Louis Medical Society, being elected in June 1877 and he and wife are members of the Baptist Church.


Ligon Jones

Ligon Jones, editor of the Bloomfield 'Vindicator', was born in Montgomery County, Ala., August 14, 1861 and is the son of Benjamin F. Jones and Adenia (Ligon) Jones, both natives of the State of Alabama, where they died, the father in 1872, and the mother previous to this, in 1866. The father was a farmer, and owned a large plantation. Ligon Jones was left an orphan when quite young, and was obliged to look out for himself. After the death of his father he went to live with an aunt, moving to Wayne County, Mo., in 1871, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits for a few years. At the age of fifteen he began the printer's trade, at which he served an apprenticeship in Wayne County. In the fall of 1879, he went to Dexter, where he worked on the 'Enterprise Messenger'. In the spring of 1880, he came to Bloomfield and worked for wages for two years. Two years later he purchased his present paper, and has since continued its publication. In January 1887 he took C.A. Moseley as a partner, and the paper is now owned and run under the firm name of Jones & Moseley. They get up a spicy little paper, have a good circulation of about 900 and these gentlemen are well adapted to their calling.


Louis C. Jorndt

Louis C. Jorndt was born in Pomern, Prussia, November 10, 1839 and is the son of John and Sophia (Caeston) Jorndt, both native of Prussia. The father was a wagonmaker by trade, and served for some time in the Prussian War. He followed his trade in the old country, and also owned and ran a small farm there. In 1850 he and family took passage for America, and landed in New York City after a six weeks voyage. They went direct to Chicago, where they resided until 1870, the father running a wagon-making shop while there. The mother died in this city, and the father in 1882 on the farm now owned by his son, Louis C., who was one of eight children, five now living, four of whom were born in Germany: Louis C., William (deceased), Bertha, Albert and Frederick who is now in Chicago. Those born in America are John (a policeman in Chicago) and August (deceased). Louis C. was about twelve years old when his parents came to Chicago. He remained there until 1879, and while there learned the mechanic's trade in the Illinois Central Railroad shops. He ran an engine on the Illinois Central for some time. He then steamboated for ten years, off and on, on Lake Michigan and on the Mississippi River. He served in the late war, and was on the Red River at the breaking out of hostilities. October 3, 1868 he married Miss Helen Brumund, a native of Germany, who was about two years old when he came to America. To this union were born four children: Lizzie, Hattie, Ida and George. In 1870 Mr. Jorndt bought the farm where he now lives, which consists of 160 acres and there he has since resided. He now owns 484 acres of land in one body, besides some swamp lands. He had about 400 acres under cultivation and well improved. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. Lodge No. 333, of Chicago, is a member of the Masonic fraternity and he and wife are members of the Luthern Church.


A.A. Jorndt

A.A. Jorndt, of the firm of Cooper & Jorndt, proprietors of the steam elevator flouring mills, Dexter, was born in Europe near Berlin, August 11, 1849 and is a son of John and Sophia (Carson) Jorndt, both native of Europe, who immigrated to America in 1854, and stopped in Chicago. The father was a wagon maker by trade, which occupation he followed while in Chicago. After the death of his wife, in 1874, he came to Stoddard County, Mo., where he died in 1882. They were the parents of eight children, five of whom are living. A.A. was about five years of age when he came to this country. He was reared in Chicago, following the manufacture of tobacco up to 1869, when he went to California to seek his fortune. While there he made considerable money, but in speculation subsequently lost it. He remained there for about two and a half years, being engaged a part of his time in mining. On returning he located in Chicago, and had charge of a tobacco shop for a little over one year. In 1873 he came to Stoddard County, Mo., and engaged in saw milling, but knowing nothing about the business, lost heavily at first. He has carried on saw milling and lumbering and farming ever since. In 1885 he, in connection with A.F. Cooper, erected the large elevator mills, which they now carry on quite successfully, with a seventy-five barrel capacity. On coming to Stoddard County, Mr. Jorndt had but $100 in cash, but he is now one of the substantial men of the county. He is also very extensively engaged in the stock trade, raising, buying, selling and shipping stock. He owns 1,000 acres of land in Stoddard county, about 300 acres under cultivation, with good improvements. He was married in 1885 to Olivia A. Renner, a native of Missouri. They have one child, Carl. Mr. Jorndt is a member of the Masonic Fraternity. He was brought up in the faith of the Lutheran Church.


© 2001 This page created and placed here by: Connie Perkins
May 2001 for MOGenWeb
This site is a part of the Stoddard County Missouri web site,
hosted by: Connie Perkins
Return to:
Stoddard County Web Site