Biographies H - MoGenWeb



A B C D E FG H J K L M NO
P R S TU W Y




James L. Hale of Scott Co.

James L. Hale, a merchant of Oran, Mo., was born and reared in Stoddard County, Mo., and is a son of William M. and Emeline (Nation) Hale, native of Tennessee. William M. Hale was the son of Nicholas Hale, a native of Tennessee, who came to Missouri about 1848, and located in Stoddard County, where he died at the age of ninety years. His wife also died in Stoddard County when about seventy-five or eighty years of age. They had nine children, all deceased, except one, John, who may be living in California, he having gone there about 1849. William M. Hale was born in Jackson County, Tenn., on June 6, 1817. He was twice married, and died on August 15, 1850. His first marriage occurred October 12, 1837, in Jackson County, Tenn., to Nancy Stamps, who died there in 1845. They had two children: Mary Ann Mariler, born March 24, 1840, died May 23, 1863, and Sarah Elizabeth, born April 13, 1843, also deceased. His second wife, the mother of the subject of this sketch, died in Stoddard County, Mo., on August 11, 1882, leaving two children: Nancy J. and James L. Nancy J. was born on January 3, 1851, married James Altman and removed to Illinois, where she died in 1875, leaving two children. James L. was born on April 3, 1849, and after the death of his parents, lived with his grandfather, until he was fourteen years of age, after which he resided with his uncle ,Giles F. Draper, until about 1865. He was then attending school, teaching school and engaged in business in Stoddard County until 1879, when he came to Oran and engaged in the mercantile business. On September 1, 1879 he was married in his native county to Sarah C. Aust, also a native of Stoddard County, born December 13, 1853. Mr. and Mrs. Hale's children were born as follows: Ida I., September 26, 1871, died December 23, 1874; Lillie May, August 5, 1875; Arthur O., January 11, 1878; Florence Ethel, July 20, 1880; and Effie born on February 20, 1873. Mr. Hale is a member of the A.F. & A.M. and of the A.O.U.W. He was commissioned notary public by Gov. Crittenden, March 23, 1882 and re-commissioned by Gov. Marmaduke, March 23, 1886. On December 14, 1885, he was appointed by the Governor Judge of the county court Second District of Scott County, to fill a vacancy, and was elected to the same office in 1886. The same year he was also elected justice of the peace for Sylvania Township. He is a licensed pharmacist, and is the author of a book to keep the civil docket court records.



Thomas A. Hale

Thomas A. Hale, a successful agriculturist, was born in Bath county, Ky., January 5, 1824, and is the son of Matthew and Mahala (Ledford) Hale, natives of Hampshire County, Va., and Bath County, Ky., respectively. The father was born in 1795, came with his parents to Kentucky, when he was quite small, and in this State he was reared, and remained until 1841, when he removed to Wabash County, Ind. He died in Huntingdon County, in 1876. The mother, who was born in 1804, died in Wabash County, Ind., in 1853. Of the twelve children born to their marriage, seven are now living: Thomas A., Evaline N., Caroline C., Van W., Emma E., Amanda A. and Mary F. Thomas A. was about eighteen years of age when he moved to Indiana with his parents. Here he made his home until 1881, and has followed farming all his life. At the last named date, he moved to Stoddard County, Mo., and located where he now lives. He purchased eighty acres of land, which is mostly under cultivation, and well improved. He was married in 1854 to Miss Ann Sims a native of Rush county, Ind., who bore him four children, three now living: Marshall H., Sanford R. and James M. Mr. Hale is a member of the Agricultural Wheel, and his wife is a member of the Christian Church.


Joseph A. Hambleton

Joseph A. Hambleton. In the early settlement of North Carolina, there came a family from England named Hambleton, and one from Ireland, bearing the name of Campbell. A son in the former family, William H., and a daughter in the latter, Matilda, were born in that new country, and afterward became man and wife. The Hambleton family moved west to Henderson County, Tenn., but in 1850 boarded a flat-boat down the Tennessee, and at Paducah, Ky., took steamer for Cape Girardeau, where the early ships of the plain were to carry them to the site of Stoddard County, Mo. They located about twelve miles southeast of Bloomfield and settled on unsurveyed land, populous in wild animals and game, to such an extent that the domestic animals were in constant danger from wolves. In 1849 the death of Grandfather Hambleton occurred, and while Grandfather Campbell was visiting his daughter, in 1855, he also was taken away. It was in the spring of 1861, which the father was out showing the way to a tract of land sought by some strangers, that while the party was diverting themselves with hunting, the father was mistaken for a deer in a clump of brush, and was shot. He lived about twenty-four hours. Four of his eight children are now living: Joseph A., John F., Samuel A. and Daniel L. The subject of this sketch was born in Henderson County, Tenn., in July 1840 and lived at home after his father's death, until he joined the Missouri State Guards, called out by Gov. Jackson. After six months with them he joined the Confederate forces, under Col. W.L. Jeffrey, and served until the surrender, at Shreveport, La., in 1865. He was in the battles at Belmont, Pilot Knob, Helena (Ark), Chalk Bluff and other places, receiving a flesh-wound in the leg, and also in the arm. After reporting to Maj. Montgomery, of the Union forces, he was allowed to remain at home, where he soon after lost his mother. In July 1862 he married Mary C. Smith. Of their three children, two, Amanda (now Mrs. H.F. Dowdy) and Mary Alice (now Mrs. John Dennington), are living. He lived at his wife's home, near Essex until 1874, and then after a short time in Wayne county, returned and located in Bloomfield. At Piedmont, he served as city marshal, and spent about four years as deputy sheriff at Bloomfield. The next four years he and his brother were merchants at Essex, and in 1882 he settled on his present farm, embracing 200 acres, four miles from dexter; 135 acres of this are finely improved. Mrs. Hambleton and the children are members of the General Baptist Church. Mr. Hambleton has been an Odd Fellow from his early years.


I. Himmelberger

I. Himmelberger & Co., Buffington, Mo. This firm is composed of Isaac Himmelberger and his son, John H. The father was born in the State of Pennsylvania bout the year 1840, and in 1866 moved to Indiana and embarked in the lumber business at Walton, and afterward at Logansport. After very successful operations at that point he sought a larger field in Missouri, and put up a saw mill at Buffington in the fall of 1881. Beginning with a mill of about thirty horse power and a force of from forty to fifty men, his business so increased that in 1886 he enlarged the mill to double its former capacity, but was still unable to meet the demand for lumber. He then built another with a capacity of fifty horse-power, which enabled him to employ sixty more men. They are now able to turn out 40,000 feet of lumber. They receive orders constantly from Northern Illinois and Iowa for plow material, also wagon stuff for Kentucky and Illinois. The gum which the firm handles, finds a ready sale in the Chicago and New York markets. On the Mill floors they employ about thirty men, about thirteen men on the nine miles of railway into their timber land, on which an engine and twenty cars are run, and also a force of thirty men in the woods in charge of a foreman or contractor. Mr. Isaac Himmelberger was elected sheriff of his county in Indiana, and also served as councilman at Logansport, Ind. Catherine Hoak became his wife, and among the eight children born to them, four only are living: John H., Jennie (now Mrs. S.A. Fisher), Lillie and Nettie. Mr. Himmelberger lives at Logansport, where he owns considerable property, besides over 10,000 acres of land about the Buffington Mills. John H. was born in 1861 and has always lived with his father, whose partner he as now become. When the mills were first established, he came here as bookkeeper and manager, but in 1887 became a partner, and has since had charge of their Stoddard County business. The father was educated in Pennsylvania and his son in Indiana. The father and mother are members of the Universalist and Reformed Churches, respectively.


John W. Harbin

John W. Harbin, farmer and stock raiser, is a native of the Hoosier State, born in Greene County, November 6, 1847. His father, James Harbin, was a North Carolinian, but after the death of his first wife located in Greene County, Ind., were he died in 1876. He reared six children by his firs t marriage, and by his last wife, Frances E. (Martin) Harbin, he had nine children, nearly all of the latter now being residents of Stoddard County. John W. grew to manhood in Greene County, and left home at the age of twenty-six years. In December 1873, he came to Missouri, and bought forty acres, where he now resides. He returned to Indiana, however, and on February 15 of the following year was married in Sullivan County to Angeline Enochs, a daughter of James Enochs, of that county. He then moved to his Missouri farm, and added to it from time to time until he now has 220 acres, with 180 acres cleared and cultivated. He is also engaged in breeding fine Holstein cattle, and a good stock of hogs. In his political faith Mr. Harbin is a strong Republican. He is a member of Bloomfield Lodge, I.O.O.F., having entered that order in Indiana. On February 21, 1886, Mr. Harbin lost his first wife, who left four children: Elbert E., Hallie E., Roscoe R. and Margaret A. His present wife was Miss Dona, a daughter of John Stewart (deceased). Mr. Harbin is a Methodist, while his wife holds the faith of the Missionary Baptist Church.


Thomas M. Harper

Thomas M. Harper is a Stoddard County Missourian, born May 4, 1854, and is the son of S.J. and Elizabeth (Jennings) Harper, who were both natives of East Tennessee, where they were married. They came to Stoddard about 1838, and located on the farm where our subject now resides. The land was heavily wooded and required, the labor of many years to bring it to its present state of cultivation. They suffered many of the privations, and enjoyed many pleasures incident to pioneer life. Wild game of all kinds was abundant and their larder was plentifully supplied with fresh meat the year round. The father died in 1887 and the mother in 1856. Nine of their thirteen children are living: Lucy J., William A., John H., Minerva, Sarah A., Thomas M., Elizabeth, Louisa, and Andrew J. The son, Thomas M. is a successful farmer and is the owner of 100 acres of land, 80 acres of which are under cultivation. He was married in 1877 to Susan R. Patrick, by whom he is the father of three children: Lillie M., Minnie E., and Joseph A. Mrs. Harper is a member of the Baptist Church.


William C. Harty

William C. Harty, merchant at Bloomfield, was born in Stoddard County, Mo., July 1, 1844, and is the son of Andrew I. And Elizabeth (McComb) Harty, the father a native Bollinger County, Mo., and the mother of Belleville, Ill. The grandfather, Daniel Harty, immigrated to Bollinger County, Mo., at a very early day and to Stoddard County over half a century ago. He was a soldier in the War of 1812, and died in this county in 1859. Andrew J. Harty was a native-born Missourian. He was reared to farm life on his father's place and came with him to Stoddard County, when he was yet a boy. Here he grew to manhood and spent the remainder of his days in this county. He died in 1876. The mother died in 1884. They were the parents of a large family, only five now surviving: William C., Amanda (wife of T.J. McDowell), Frank, Sarah (wife of Thomas Fortner) and Sophia (wife of Samuel Wammack). William C. Harty was reared to farm life and remained with his parents until he became of age. In 1863 he married Miss Susan Moore, who bore him eight children, five now living: Alfred, Dora, Elizabeth, Robert and Willie. After marriage he moved to Bloomfield, and there he has since resided. He was tax collector of Stoddard County for ten successive years, and was elected county treasurer in 1886, which position he still occupies. While living on the farm he was constable for two years and tax assessor for four years. Thus it is seen that the most of Mr. Harty's life has been spent in office. In February, 1864, he enlisted in Company A., State militia and served until Jul 12, 1865. He is a prominent citizen of Stoddard County, is a member of Masonic fraternity, and he and wife are members of the missionary Baptist church.


Marshel H. Henderson

Marshel H. Henderson was born on the farm where he now resides, September 6, 181, his parents being Stephen Francis and Marinda M. (Hollick) Henderson. The father was born in Virginia November 8, 1830 and died at Hot Springs, Ark., September 18, 1885, whither he had gone for his health, being afflicted with Bright's disease. He was a successful farmer and had accumulated considerable property, all the result of his own efforts. His success was largely due to natural business ability, as he started with nothing. He was a Southern sympathizer, but said little about politics. When voting it was for the man and not the party. He was liberal to the poor, in fact, the poor man's friend. He loaned lots of money but never sued anyone, and was himself never sued. He was temperate in all his habits, was a member of the Masonic fraternity, and was a devoted member of the Baptist church. His wife was born in Middle Tennessee, but the record of her birth was lost when she was young. She is thought to have been about four years older than her husband. She died March 25, 1887, and although not a member of any church, she was a true, Christian woman in every sense of the word. Of the eight children born to this union, five of whom are living, Marshel H. Henderson was the eldest. He received the rudiments of an education at the home schools, and February 9, 1873, he married Miss Margaret Josephine Underhill, a daughter of Rufus Underhill, and a native of Missouri, born January 24, 1853. She died at the residence of her husband February 20, 1878, leaving three children: Albert G., Julia and Clara. Mrs. Henderson was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. December 17, 1880, Mr. Henderson Married Miss Laura J. Hall, a daughter of Judge James G. Hall. She was born in Stoddard County, Mo., January 9, 1864. To this last union were born six children, five now living: Clarence Arthur, Robert Edmond, Stephen Chester, James Cleveland and DeWitt Talmage (twins). The one deceased was named Altha May; she died in infancy. Soon after his first marriage Mr. Henderson began farming, which he has since continued. Three years before his failing health, he moved to the old homestead, and after the death of his father, bought out the other heirs. He is now the owner of 260 acres of as good land as is to found in the county. He si a member of the Wheel, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church South.


Henry M. Hendley

Henry M. Hendley, one of the prominent citizens of Stoddard County, Mo., was born in Cabarrus County, N.C., in 1833, being the son of James and Sarah (Flemming) Hendley. The father was born in Montgomery County, N.C. in 1799, is living and is a resident of Pike Township, Stoddard County, being about, if not quite, the oldest man in the county. In 1851 he moved to Carroll County, Tenn., where he resided until 1857 when he came to Stoddard County and there he has since resided. He has followed the occupation of a farmer and miller all his life. His wife was a native of Cabarrus County, N.C., born about 1809 and died in Carroll County, Tenn., in 1855. Seven children were born to this union, all of whom lived to be grown. Henry M. Hendley was the sixth of these children. He remained with and assisted his father on the farm and in the mill until twenty-two years of age, when he began to work at the carpenter's trade and followed this occupation in Stoddard County until in the early part of 1861. He then enlisted in Company A, First Missouri Infantry, Confederate army, and was afterward in the cavalry. He served with much credit until in April 1863, when he was taken prisoner and was confined for about twenty-two months, first in St. Louis, then at Baltimore, Fort Monroe, Fort Delaware and Johnson's Island. While in service he was in many skirmishes and when taken a prisoner was Lieutenant of his company. Although he had received a fair education in the common schools, while in prison he took a complete course in mathematics and while there also learned surveying. After the war he returned to Stoddard County and worked at his trade until in 1872, having in the meantime, in 1868 married Miss Lucretia Jane Harvey, a daughter of Samuel and Nancy Harvey. She was a native of Bloomfield, Stoddard County, Mo., born 1839. Her father came from Tennessee at the early settling of Stoddard County, and is now a resident of that county. To Mr. and Mrs. Hendley was born one child, James L., who is now at home. In 1872 Mr. Hendley was elected county surveyor and served in that capacity twelve years; was also deputy two years, making in all fourteen years, but after that refused to be a candidate for that office again. The year before his marriage Mr. Hendley had purchased a farm in Pike Township and here he followed farming for some time. A present he is engaged in the milling business. He has a farm of 400 acres, and is one of the leading men of the county. He is a Democrat in politics, and was formally a member of the I.O.O.F. and his wife is a member of the Presbyterian Church.


James Hibbs

James Hibbs, of Stoddard County, Mo., was born in Graves County, Ky., in 1831 being the son of Isaac and Susan (McClennin) Hibbs, who were born and spent their lives in Kentucky. They were the parents of a large family, only two of whom are living. James Hibbs was only an infant when his mother died. He resided with his father until 1851, when he came to Stoddard County, Mo., covering the entire distance alone and on horseback. He worked for wages for about one year, and then was united in marriage to Amanda Wells, and located on the farm where he now resides. His farm of 192 acres was covered with timber, and he immediately set to work to clear it, which he accomplished after a few years of hard labor. He now has bout 125 acres under cultivation. His present farm consists of 317 acres. His marriage with Miss Wells, who was a native of Middle Tennessee, resulted in the birth of seven children, five of whom are living: Cora, James S., John W., Babe and Jesse. Mr. and Mrs. Hibbs are members of Baptist Church, and he is member of the Agricultural Wheel and the Masonic fraternity.


Henry W. Hickman

Capt. Henry W. Hickman was born in Humphreys County, Tenn., on the 2d of December, 1832. His father, John Hickman, was born in South Carolina and there married Edith Smith, also a native of that State. He moved to Tennessee in 1835, and died in Obion County in 1867. Henry W. was reared in Obion County and came to Missouri in 1850 and spent about three years in Laclede County teaching school. He then returned to Tennessee and was married in Obion County March 8, 1855, to Mary L. Howard, a daughter of Allen Howard (deceased). August 3, 1861 he enlised in the Confederate army, in the Thirty-third Tennessee Infantry, Company A and served until the close of the war. He enlisted as first lieutenant, but was soon promoted to captain and served in this capacity until the close of the war. He was at Corinth, Perryville, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, and a great many lesser engagements. While at home on recruiting service he was taken prisoner, and was not released until the final surrender, when he was paroled and returned home. Mr. Hickman is a Democrat in politics, and while in Tennessee held several county offices. He came to Missouri in October, 1879 and located in Stoddard county where he had previously bought land. He is a member of the Agricultural Wheel of Rock Hill, Mo., and was elected as a delegate to the State Wheel. He is also a Royal Arch Mason, and is the present Master of his lodge.


John A. Hickman

John A. Hickman. Obion County, Tenn., has among the names of its earliest settlers that of John Hickman, who reared his family there, and finally passed to his long home April 7, 1867 leaving his children and wife, who survived him until 1873. The child born to them on November 7, 1837 was Theophilus S. Hickman, who when he reached mature years was married to Miss Margaret, a daughter of Anderson Glover, of the same county. This occurred January 9 1856. In January 1873 the family moved to Stoddard County and settled on their present estate near Puxico. Theophilus S. was a Confederate soldier, having enlisted in October 1861 in the Thirty-third Tennessee Infantry of which he was elected lieutenant. He served at Shiloh, Perryville, Ky., the Atanta campaign, with Hood in Tennessee, at Franklin and Nashville, and in the first two of these was wounded in the latter being disabled for three months. He is now engaged in agriculture. While in Obion County a son was added to his family, April 25, 1858, to whom they gave the name John A., who has now become a prominent merchant of Puxico. Young Hickman received a good eduacation and engaged in teaching, among his first occupations. On May 21, 1879, Miss Emily J. Norrid became his wife. She is a daughter of P. A. Norrid, deceased. Mr. Hickman farmed about four years immediately after his marriage but on the founding of Puxico, he located there as the first merchant, and had since built up the leading trade of the place, as he always carried a choice and carefully selected stock. He is a charter member of the Puxico A.O.U.W. lodge of which he now serves as Recorder. Mr. and Mrs. Hickman have two children, Ollie I. And Hartland H.


A.D. Hill

A.D. Hill, M.D., at Dexter, was born in Havana, Schryler Co., N.Y., August 24, 1836. His parents, Caleb and Eunice (Durfey) Hill, are both natives of Windham County, Conn., and of English origin. Caleb Hill went from Connecticut to Pennsylvania while a young man, and learned the trade of carpenter and joiner. He was married there and soon removed to Schuyler Co., N.Y., where he engaged in his trade until within a few years of his death, in December 1882. His wife had preceded him to that "unknown country" on August 11 before. Five children were born to them, and those now living are Erastus W., Alonzo D. and David B., the present Governor of the State of New York. The father of the subject of this sketch was a member of the I.O.O.F. and a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, to which his wife also belonged. Dr. Hill was reared in his native county and educated in the common schools and an academy. In 1859 he entered the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor, and in 1866, after his return from the war, graduated in the study of medicine in the Miami Medical College, Cincinnati, Ohio, a study which he began at his majority, but which was interrupted in 1861 by his war service. After a short time as a private, he was appointed assistant brigade surgeon. After six months' service he began practice at Bloomfield, and after some varied experiences, enlisted again in 1863, in the Ninth New York Heavy Artillery, serving the rest of the conflict. He was detached for hospital service and gave professional aid on both sides of the line. In 1866 he again returned to Bloomfield, where he practiced until 1872, and since that time Dexter has been the field of his professional duties which have grown about him until his practice is very extensive. Dr. Hill was married January 6, 1877 to Emily E. Montgomery, a native of Tennessee. They have had three children, of whom only Zoe E. is alive. Dr. and Mrs. Hill are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and the former shows his fraternal spirit in membership in the order of the Golden Rule and the Masonic fraternity.

J.M. Hobbs

J.M. Hobbs, miller and farmer of Bloomfield, Mo., is a native of Cape Girardeau County, Mo., and is the son of Green B. and Sarah F. (Penn) Miller, both natives of Tennessee. They immigrated to Cape Girardeau County about 1830 and settled near Cape Girardeau, where Mr. Hobbs purchased a farm, and there remained until his death, which occurred in 1871. The mother is still living and resides on the old homestead. They were the parents of six children, four now living: Martha J., James M., Joseph V. and John E. The subject of this sketch was reared to farm life, and remained with his parents until the breaking out of the late war, when in 1861 he enlisted in Capt. Gedding's Company, and served until the close of the war. He was a corporal, and participated in all the principal engagements west of the Mississippi River. After cessation of hostilities he returned home, and there remained until 1866, when he came to Stoddard County and located at Bloomfield, where he has since resided. September 12, 1876, he purchased the flouring mill of Mrs. Nancy Sykes, of Bloomfield, and has operated the mill ever since. The mill is of the buhr process - two wheat and one corn buhr. The building is a two-story frame, and has a capacity of forty barrels in twenty-four hours. Mr. Hobbs also owns a large farming interest both in and out of Stoddard County. He owns altogether about 1,575 acres of land, and has about 270 acres under cultivation, well improved, etc. He was married in 1868 to Miss Sophia E. Miller, and the result of this union was the birth of two children: Nora J. and Charles O. Mrs. Hobbs is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.


William T. Hopper

William T. Hopper, farmer and stock raiser of Stoddard County, Mo., is a son of P.W. and Nancy (Wier) Hopper, and was born in Lincoln County Tenn., December 25, 1836. The Father was born in Tennessee, and the mother in North Carolina. They were married in the former Sate, and their the mother died in 1837. The father died in Mississippi in 1883. He was a soldier in the Mexican War. William T. Hopper grew to manhood in Mississippi. In 1862 he enlisted in the United States army, fourth Tennessee Mounted Infantry and served until the close of the war. He was promoted to commissary sergeant, and was a participant in the battles of Franklin, Nashville, and numerous skirmishes. He was taken prisoner in Tennessee in 1863, and kept at Jackson, Miss., for six months and was then paroled and returned to his regiment. After the war he located in Missouri, where he purchased eighty acres under cultivation. November 11, 1858, he was untied in marriage to Martha D. Black, a daughter of P.M. Black. Mr. and Mrs. Hopper have two children: Finley Wilson and Piety. Mr. Hopper is a member of the Knights of Honor, the Knights of the Golden Rule and the Agricultural Wheel.


George Houck

George Houck, attorney at law at Bloomfield, Mo., and son of Bartholomew and Annie (Sens) Houck, was born in Quincy, Ill., August 25, 1846. The father was a native of Prussia and emigrated to the United States in 1832, settling at St. Louis. He worked at the printer's trade at this place for some time, and then moved to Hermann, Mo., where he remained a few years. He was one of the first German printers in St. Louis, and worked on one of the first German newspapers, which was called Anzeiger. He was a resident of Quincy, Ill., for some time, and died in Belleville, Ill., in 1876. The mother was a native of Switzerland, and died in Cape Girardeau County, in 1885. They were the parents of five children - four sons and one daughter: Louis, Julius, Lomsia Brucher, John and George. The sons all learned the printer's trade. George Houck was reared principally in Belleville, where he learned the printer's trade and followed the same for seven years. He taught school and studied law at the same time, and was admitted to the bar in the latter part of 1867, at the Supreme Court at Mt. Vernon. In 1868 he located at Rolla, Mo., where he practiced his profession for a short time. He then assisted his brother in getting out the first fifteen volumes of the Missouri Reports. In 1872 he came to Bloomfield, where he has since been engaged in the practice of his profession, having built up a large and extensive practice. He served as prosecuting attorney of Stoddard County for the first eight years of his residence there, and was a candidate for circuit judge in 1880, but was defeated. He was married, in 1877, to Miss Mary A. Miller, and to them were born two sons, George and Rudolph S. Mr. Houck is a member of the Masonic fraternity, also the I.O.O.F. and is engaged largely in dealing in real estate. He is also engaged in mining, the mine having been recently opened, and coal has been found in abundance, with prospects of gold and silver.


Joseph Howell

Joseph Howell, county collector, was born in Hardin County, Tenn., November 1, 1837 and is the son of Levi and Lexey (Riddell) Howell, natives of Alabama and North Carolina, respectively, and both of English-Scotch descent. The paternal grandfather was born in England, and emigrated to Alabama at an early day, where he died. The maternal grandfather came from Scotland to North Carolina. Levi Howell emigrated from Alabama to Hardin County, Tenn., where he lived until 1844, when he emigrated to Stoddard County, and located near Dexter, where he purchased a farm in the woods, on which he lived until his death, which occurred in 1845. The mother died in 1862. They were the parents of seven children -four sons and three daughters - four of whom are now living: Joseph, Elizabeth (wife of James Gillis), Alexander and Martha (wife of W.W. Thrower). Joseph Howell was about eight years of age when he came to this county with his parents. He was reared to farm life, receiving what education the schools afforded at that day, and in 1859 married Miss Nancy Lee, who was born in Missouri. The fruits of this union were two children: Mary A. wife of A. Conley) and John B. After marriage Mr. Howell located four miles from Deter, where he followed agricultural pursuits until 1887. In the spring of 1861 he enlisted in Company A, Kitchen's regiment, and served in that capacity about eighteen months. He was captured near Chalk Bluff, Ark. And imprisoned at Wittsburg, Ark. He was paroled, came home and was in the Fort Pillow skirmish, and was there when the place was vacated. He was also in Price's raid through Missouri. In the fall of 1886 he was elected to the office of county collector, which position he now occupies. During the years 1881 and 1882 he served as county assessor.


John M. Hunt

John M. Hunt, a native of West Tennessee, was born October 6, 1848 and is the son of Richard M. and Susan (Matthew) Hunt, both natives of Middle Tennessee. The paternal grandfather, Mathey Hunt, was a Virginian by birth, and immigrated to Tennessee at an early day, and there passed his last days. Richard M. Hunt was a farmer by occupation, and he and his wife are still living and are residents of West Tennessee. They are the parents of twelve children, seven now living: Sarah, Nancy E., Emma, Jane, Lou, John M. and Isaac. John M. Hunt grew to manhood on the farm, and at the age of seventeen went to Mississippi near Memphis, and here worked on a farm for seven years. He then went back to Tennessee and there remained for two years. In March 1870, he married Miss Rhoda Carrington, a native of Mississippi. To them were born seven children, five now living: Mary E., James M., Cora L., Eddey W. and Clyde. The two deceased were named Minnie C. and Albert. December 3, 1876, Mr. Hunt arrived in Stoddard County, locating where J.W. Covington now lives, and there rented land for one year. In 1879 he purchased the farm where he now lives, which consists of 174 acres of land, seventy-five of which are under cultivation. Mr. Hunt is a member of the Agricultural Wheel, of which organization he is the lecturer, and is also a member of the trade committee. He is an intelligent and enterprising citizen.


William J. Hux

William J. Hux, merchant at Essex, was born in Halifax County, N.C., May 19, 1856 and is the son of Ben D. and Anna (Barnes) Hux, natives of the same county. The father had reached the age of seventy-nine when he died in 1885, and his widow still lives in her North Carolina home. The seven children born to them are all living as follows: Francis M., Benjamin F., Thaddeus R., Edward J., Lewis F., William J. and Eliza C.E., all of whom are married and with the exception of William and Lewis, live in North Carolina. William was twenty-one years of age when he came to Missouri and located at Essex in 1877. Mr. Hux is now the owner of two houses and lots in Essex and has a finely selected and extensive stock of general merchandise with which to supply a large trade, which has grown up under his management. He was married on March 2, 1884 to Miss Fanny B. Bradford, and their union has resulted in two children: Anna U. and Edna B. Mrs. Hux is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, while both also belong to the order of the Golden Rule. Mr. Hux has labored hard to be independent - always choosing truthfulness and honest, by which he has made hosts of friends, who say he is good to the needy and never refuses an honest man. He stands second to none in promptness.


© 2001 This page created and placed here by: Connie Perkins
May 2001 for MOGenWeb
This site is a part of the Stoddard County Missouri web site,
hosted by: Connie Perkins
Return to:
Stoddard County Web Site