Biographies FG - MoGenWeb



A B C D E FG H J K L M NO
P R S TU W Y




David C. Fortner

David C. Fortner, farmer, was born in Tennessee on March 15, 1842, and is the son the Lem and Polly (Vaughn) Fortner. The father was born in North Carolina, and the mother in Tennessee. He moved from North Carolina to Tennessee when quite a boy, and after becoming old enough was married there, where he resided until his death. They had eleven children, nine of whom survive: John, Andy, Charley, Terry, Betty, Robert, Dicy, James and David. The latter having lost his parents when but ten years old, was adopted by Mr. Terrell Gray, but, becoming dissatisfied, he left and went to his grandmother's, where he remained until he was grown. He then hired himself out at monthly labor until he married, in December, 1880, Nancy Ann Vaugh, by whom he has three children, all living, viz: William R., Polly A. and Nora L. Mr. Fortner owns 120 acres of land, with about eighty acres in cultivation, a prominent feature of which is a pretty neat dwelling and good outhouses. Mr. Fortner, in connection with A.M. Brown, is running a grist mill at Penhook, and they intend to attach a saw mill and gin to it, which when completed, will be an enterprise much needed, and it is to be hoped a remunerative one.


William S. Galloway

William S. Galloway, farmer, postoffice Essex, was born in Stoddard County, Mo., and is the son of Thomas and Frances (Pingerton) Galloway, the father was born in Middle Tennessee in or about 1838, and while quite young, his parents moved to Stoddard County, Mo., carrying on farming as an occupation. They had a family of seven children, four of whom are living, viz: nancy (Mrs. John Smith), Mary (Mrs. Joseph Davis), Amanda (Mrs. W.P. Dowdy) and William S. Galloway. Thomas Galloway entered the army, and served during the entire time with the Southern forces. At the close of the strife he returned home and farmed on his place until he died, in 1878. William S. stayed with his parents until he was over age, and until his father's death, when he married and took his mother to care for and cherish in her declining years. He married, October 18, 1885, Ida Walker, and by her has had one child, now deceased. Mr. Galloway owns forty-six and one-half acres of land, which he bought in 1884 and has since improved. He is a member of the Agricultural Wheel.


Jesse L. Garner

Jesse L. Garner, farmer and stock dealer of Stoddard County, Mo., was born on the farm which he now owns on December 13, 1835, and is a son of Jordan and Sarah (Norman) Garner, both of whom were born in the Old North State. They located in Stoddard County, Mo., at an early day, and here the father died in January, 1878. His widow is still living. Jesse L. grew to manhood on this farm. In the spring of 1862 he enlisted in the Twelfth Missouri State Militia, which was afterward consolidated with the Fifth Missouri State Militia and served until mustered out in February 1865. He returned home, and engaged in tilling his present farm. He first purchased 100 acres of land, and afterward purchased eighty acres more. He now has about 130 acres. On September 23, 1861, he married Eliza Ray, of Stoddard County. She died December 25, 1879, leaving two children, Samuel and Albert (deceased). His present wife was Rhoda Singleton, whom he married in May 1880. She was born in the county and is the daughter of James Singleton (deceased). She has two children, Clerzy and Ida.


Zachariah Goforth

Judge Zachariah Goforth, one of the New Lisbon's enterprising citizens, was born in Washington County, near Potosi, Mo., January 15, 1833, and is the son of Basil and Zilphia (Stout) Goforth, natives of Georgia and North Carolina, respectively. Basil Goforth moved from Georgia to East Tennessee, where he married. He then came to Washington County, Mo., where he remained several years, after which he came to Stoddard County, Mo., in 1835. Here the father died in 1865, and was seventy-six years of age at the time of his death. In his youth he joined the Methodist Episcopal Church, and later became a minister, serving as such over forty years. He was also a farmer. He was a soldier of the War of 1812, and a good citizen. His wife was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for many years. She died in 1875 or 1876, and was about seventy-eight at the time of death. To their marriage were born nine children only three now living. Judge Zachariah was the sixth child born to this union. He had limited educational advantages, but by his own efforts and by observation has become a well-informed man. In 1851 he began for himself as a farmer, and two years later he went to California, crossing the plains with ox teams, and was over four months making the trip. He remained there three years, mining the first year, and for the next two years ran pack trains. In the latter part of 1856 he returned to Stoddard County, by way of the Isthmus, and again engaged in farming. April 10, 1857, he married Miss Margaret Robinson, a daughter of John W. Robinson, a native of North Carolina, born in 1835 or 1836. She is the mother of eight children, five now living: Preston B., Clara, John, Robert D. and Benjamin. Those deceased are William Bell, Oscar and Samuel. In March 1862 the Judge enlisted in Company B, First Indiana Cavalry, and served three years as first duty sergeant. He participated in many battles, the principal ones being Helena, Ark., Little Rock, Mark's Mill on Saline River, and was then on the Price raid, but was never wounded, taken prisoner, or in a hospital. In 1886 he was elected County Judge from District No. 2 of Stoddard County. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He is a member of the Wheel, being president of Leora Wheel, No. 144. He is a Democrat in politics, and an excellent citizen.


William C. Gray

William C. Gray, farmer was born in East Tennessee, in 1843, and is the son of James and Lucinda (Woolphinbarger) Gray, both natives of Tennessee, where they farmed as an occupation. Thinking that they could improve their fortunes out west, they left that state and in 1860 located ten miles southeast of Bloomfield, on the ridge that bears their name, "Gray's Ridge" a beautiful strip of country about six miles long and half a mile wide. Mr. Gray died in 1872, having had by his wife nine children, three of whom are living; Joseph A., Tillman C. and William C., the subject of this sketch. The latter lived with his father until he entered the army in 1862, enlisting in Company G, Twenty-ninth Regiment Missouri Volunteer Infantry, commanded by Capt. McGarvey, of Cape Girardeau, in which company he remained until the close of the war in 1865. He was in the battles of Chattanooga, Lookout Mountain, Atlanta, Ga., at the siege of Vicksburg, Miss., Greensboro, N.C., and many other skirmishes and fightings, but fortune favored him in going through the entire war without any serious wound. He was mustered out on June 12, 1865, at Washington, D.C. and then returned home and resumed farming. Mr. Gray was married on the 26th of May 1866 to Ruthie Long, and they had three children of whom James W. survives. In 1874 he was unfortunate in losing his wife by death, and in 1875 he married Mary Byron, and has by her four children, two living, viz: Thomas F. and Bessie E. This wife also dying, Mr. Gray married the third time in 1882, Laura Kincade, who died in 1885, leaving one child, John T. Mr. Gray is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He owns forty acres of land, of which twenty acres are under cultivation.


Alexander Gregory

Alexander Gregory is a native of Schuyler County, Ill., born January 17, 1843, and is the son of William H. and Malinda (Coons) Gregory. The father was born near Culpeper Courthouse and died in Schuyler County, Ill., in 1887, at the unusual age of ninety-five. When a young man he moved to Tennessee and from there to where the city of Crawfordsville, Ind., now stands. After a time he moved to Schuyler County, Ill., where he lived. He was a farmer all his life and in his younger days drove a great deal of stock through to Georgia. While living in Tennessee he was captain of the militia. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and a moral man all his life. His wife was a native of Tennessee, and was also a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. To this union were born thirteen children. Alexander Gregory remained at home and worked on his father's farm until in 1865, when he enlisted in Company G, of the Eleventh Illinois Cavalry, and served until the close of hostilities. In 1866, September 13, he married Miss Melissa Wolfe, who was born in the State of Iowa, in March 1842. She is the daughter of John and Anna Wolfe. To this marriage have been born five children, four now living: William H., Minnie L., Daniel D. and Isa M. Annie E. is deceased. After marriage Mr. Gregory began farming, which he has ever since continued. In1878 he moved to Iowa, passed one winter and then moved to DeKalb County, Mo., where he remained one summer. He then moved to Daviess County, Mo., and in 1886 he purchased his present farm. Mr. Gregory is a Republican in politics, is a member of the G.A.R. being S.V.C. and his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.


© 2001 This page created and placed here by: Connie Perkins
May 2001 for MOGenWeb
This site is a part of the Stoddard County Missouri web site,
hosted by: Connie Perkins
Return to:
Stoddard County Web Site