Biographies E - MoGenWeb



A B C D E FG H J K L M NO
P R S TU W Y




Stephen Elliott

Judge Stephen Elliott, another prominent citizen of New Lisbon Township, was born in Jackson County, Ala., January 28, 1840, his parents being Henry and Martha (Johnson) Elliott, who were natives of Franklin County, Tenn. The father was born August 19, 1812, and died September 8, 1876. He was married in Tennessee, and moved to Alabama soon after, where he lived until Stephen Elliott was about seven years of age. He then moved to Arkansas, where he lived until 1864, when he located in Perry County. He lived there one year, and one year in Cape Girardeau County, after which he moved to Stoddard County, and there passed the remainder of his days. He was a natural mechanic, was a good shoemaker or cooper, but farming has been his occupation through life. During the Seminole War, in 1835, he served through the war as a private, and was in all the principal battles. He was successful in all he undertook, and was quite wealthy, but broke up during the war. His wife died in 1852, and was about thirty-five years of age at the time of her death. He married twice after this, the first time Elizabeth Brandon, and after her death he married Mrs. Mary Ann Tuggle, who died a short time previous to his death. No children wee born but to the first marriage, which resulted in the birth of eight children, only two now living, Judge Stephen Elliott and Eliza Ann (now the wife of J.J. Riden, and she is living in Lawrence County, Ark.). Stephen Elliott lived with his father until July 1861, when he enlisted in Company H, of the Seventh Arkansas Infantry, and served twelve months, when he was discharged on account of disability. Previous to this, in 1860, he married Miss Isabel Jane Smith, who was a native of Arkansas, born January 27, 1841 and who died November 1861. One child, William H., was born to this union. He died two days before the death of his mother. In 1863 Mr. Elliott enlisted in Capt. Dye's cavalry, and served about seven months, when the company was disbanded. During the time in service he participated in the battle of Helena, Ark. In the latter part of 1864 he came with his father to Missouri, and after living in Perry and Cape Girardeau Counties until 1867, he came to Stoddard County, where he has since remained. He is now the owner of a well located and well improved farm. On February 5, 1866, he married Miss Caroline Askew, a native of Independence County, Ark., born October 14, 1848. She is the daughter of Caswell and Martha Askew. They moved to Stoddard County where they passed their last days. To the Judge and his wife were born eight children, seven now living: Martha Ann, James A., Emma Bell, Missouri May, Charles N., Alice V. and Clara Edith. Annie J. died when eleven years of age. Mrs. Elliott is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Judge Elliott is a member of the I.O.O.F. also a member of Wheel, and is a Democrat politically. In 1880 he was elected County Judge from District No. 2 and re-elected two years later.


George W. Ellis

George W. Ellis was born in Saratoga county, N.Y., February 22, 1824, his parents being Freeman and Elizabeth (Wilson) Ellis, who were also natives of the same State. The grandparents came from Glasgow, Scotland, and settled in the Empire State, where they resided the remainder of their days. The grandfather served in the Revolutionary War. Freeman Ellis was a York State farmer, and died in 1882, his widow living three years alter. Of their five children, only four are living: George W., Charles, Samuel and Amelia. George W. Ellis moved to Kansas in 1853, and there resided until 1861, when the depredations of the border ruffians grew so annoying that he was compelled to leave. In 1862 he enlisted in the Seventh Kansas Cavalry and served until the close of the war, being mustered out in 1865. He participated in all the principal engagements west of the Mississippi River, and was taken prisoner at Guntown, Miss., and after some time was taken to Vicksburg, where he was exchanged. He was four months in prison. In 1865 he settled in Stoddard County, Mo., and there has since resided. He owns 208 acres of land, partially improved. In 1871 he was elected judge of Stoddard county, and served one term. He has held the office of road commissioner for four years, and has been justice of the peace one year. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. and is an intelligent and enterprising citizen.


James Y. Evans

James Y. Evans was born in Forsyth County, N.C., in December 1847, the son of David and Mary (Whicker) Evans, who were also North Carolinians, both born in 1812. The grandfather, David Evans, was a Virginian, and was an early immigrant to North Carolina. He was a participant in many of the early wars of this country. His son David was a farmer, and in 1847 removed, with his family, to Carroll County, Tenn., where he purchased a farm and remained until 1857. At that time he came to Stoddard County, Mo., and about two weeks after his arrival purchased the farm where his son, James Y. Evans, now resides. Here he lived until his death, which occurred in March 1880. His wife died in 1875. They were the parents of three children: Sarah J. (Mrs. S.W. McCarroll), James Y. and Mary S. (Mrs. John H. Harper). The farm purchased by Mr. Evans was timberland. This he cleared off, and the property is now one of the finest in the county. His son James received but little early education, but is a well posted man in the business affairs of life. He owns 140 acres of land, about 100 of which are under cultivation. He was married September 7, 1869, to Susan N., daughter of David Lewis and by her became the father of ten children, eight of whom are living: Walter M., Laura V., Emily F., Margaret E., James D., Cora N., Marion W. and Rossey M. Those who are deceased are Sarah A. and Susanna D. Mr. Evans and wife are members of the Knights of the Golden Rule, and he of the Agricultural Wheel. She is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.


© 2001 This page created and placed here by: Connie Perkins
May 2001 for MOGenWeb
This site is a part of the Stoddard County Missouri web site,
hosted by: Connie Perkins
Return to:
Stoddard County Web Site