Biographies B - MOGenWeb
A B C D E FG H J K L M NO
P R S TU W Y




Columbus D. Bailey

Columbus D. Bailey, of Dexter, Mo., was born February 2, 1844. His parents, William and Julia A. (Denny) Bailey, were married in 1843, in Wayne County, Missouri. The paternal grandfather, A.B. Bailey, was in Lawrence County, Tenn., wheren his son William was born in 1819, and after a life of farming there until 1829, the parents and son embarked on a flat-boat on the Tennessee River, following to its mouth, thence down the Ohio to Cairo, and on reaching the Mississippi River embarked on a steamboat. They went north to Cape Girardeau, where they landed and came directly to Stoddard County. They located near the crossing of the Bloomfield and Cape Girardeau road on Castor River, where the grandfather traded in stock and merchandise, besides his agricultural duties. He made two trips to the Indian nations and traded them large supplies of goods for Indian ponies. Soon after he entered the land where Bloomfield now stands, and donated fifty acres for the county seat, and built the first courthouse. He also represented the county in the Legislature. He died in 1846 at New Orleans, where he had gone to dispose of stock. The father of the subject of our sketch then moved to Vicksburg in 1845, to attend to financial affairs, but returned the following year to Stoddard County, where he spent the rest of his life and died on April 1, 885. His children are Columbus D., Columbia A., Harriet R., Rosanah, Absalom B., Sarah E., Thomas J., William E. and John M., all of whom, except William, are married. The subject of this sketch left home at the age of twenty-two, when he was married to Hannah J. Lewis, on March 15, 1866. Agriculture has been his chief pursuit, although he often taught school. Since 1883 he has been engaged with the Singer Manufacturing Company. Mr. Bailey served in the late war, entering in 1862 the regiment of Col. Jeffrey, in the confederate States Army, and in 1863, after the siege of Vicksburg, in which he received a severe leg wound, he returned home and joined Company D, Sixth Missouri Calvary. He was discharged September 12, 1885. Mr. and Mrs. Bailey have been members of the General Baptist Church for about eight years. Their children are Arminta O. (now Mrs. R.L. Hardy), Rebecca J. (now Mrs. Dr. J.L. Slayden), Stephen P. and James L. (who is in his sixth year).


C. H. Barham

C.H. Barham, circuit clerk of Stoddard County, is a native of Gibson County, Tenn., and was born May 11, 1841, being the son of James and Catherine 9launius) Barham, both of whom were natives of North Carolina. The Barhams were of English descent, and the Launius family of German origin. The grandfather, Charles Barham, was also a native of North Carolina, the family having immigrated there at a very early day, and the name has been familiar there for many years. The great-grandfather, James Barham, was a soldier in the Revolutionary War and immigrated to Springfield, Mo., when it was all a forest. He died there in 1860, in his one hundred and fifteenth year. The grandfather came to Stoddard County, Mo., in 1858, and died in 1861. James Barham, father of our subject, located near Bloomfield in 1858, and rented land for a few years. In 1865 he removed to Crittenden County, Ark., where he died the same year. The mother is still living and resides with her son, Charles H. She is now in her seventy-fourth year. They were the parents of seven children, five now living: Charles H., Jonathan R., Mary A. (wife of H.T. Estis), Phoebe J. (wife of Hugh McGee) and Elizabeth. Those deceased are George F. and William L. Charles H. was reared in Tennessee, and remained there until seventeen years of age, when he came with his parents to Stoddard County, and remained with them, engaged in farming, until the breaking out of hostilities between the North and South. He then enlisted in Company C. of Col. Phelan's regiment, State Guards, and served in this command for six months. He then enlisted in Willford's company, Tenth Regiment of Missouri Cavalry, and was accidentally wounded at Malden. He was carrying a dispatch on horseback, and had with him a double-barreled shotgun, which, by some means, was discharged, the contents entering Mr. Barham's leg just above the ankle. About two hours later the leg was amputated at the ankle. He was cared for by friends for three weeks, and was then brought home, where he remained until able to get around. During this time he was engaged in studying, and became sufficiently educated to transact business. He raised two or three crops, crippled as he was, and kept a ferry on Castor River for some time. He then taught school for four or five terms. In 1874 he was elected assessor and held the office for four years. In 1878 he was elected circuit clerk and recorder, which office he still occupies, having been re-elected twice since, and has filled this position to the satisfaction of all. July 30, 1868, he married Miss Elizabeth McGee, a native of Tennessee. To this union were born seven children, of whom five are living: Delany C., William J., George M., Zela and John L. James H. and Walter are dead. Mr. Barham is a member of the Baptist Church and also a member of the I.O.O.F.


Joseph J. Barnes

Joseph J. Barnes, a Stoddard County farmer, is a North Carolinian, born February 4, 1804. He is the son of Rhodum and Temperance (Dickins) Barnes, the former a Virginian, born in 1765, and the latter a native of Halifax County, N.C., born March 8, 1777. They died in 1847. They had seven children born to them, all but one of whom are living: George W., Joseph J., Mary A., James H., William H. and Anna B. The subject of this sketch lived at home after he was of age up to his thirty-fifth year, in order to care for his father and mother in their old age. He was married on September 26, 1858, to Lucinda Jernigan, but had no children. It was about 1839 that Mr. Barnes started for the West, traveling on horseback to Tennessee, where he located in McNairy County, and engaged in school teaching. There he spent about thirteen years, and then settled in Stoddard County, Mo., having made the trip overland in wagons in 1852. Here he entered 120 acres, 40 acres of which are cultivated, and he has since purchased 120 acres of the timber land. Mrs. Barnes is a member of the Baptist Church. Her father, Nathan Henson, was the first white man to hunt in the swamps of Stoddard County, and was the first white man to see the waters of Henson Lake. He spent his life chiefly in forests and swamps in hunting, for which he had considerable local renown, having come from his North Carolina home in 1834.


Oliver C. Barrett

Oliver C. Barrett, a farmer of Stoddard County, Mo., was born in Suffolk County, Mass., December 13, 1851. He is a son of William Barrett, who was born in Ireland and was brought to the United States when a child of eight years. His people settled in Massachusetts and there he grew to manhood and married Mary Ann Tryon, who was born near Cincinnati, Ohio. After their marriage they resided in Massachusetts for a few years and in 1867 removed to Illinois, and located in Shelby County, where the father died in 1876. The mother died some time previous to this. Oliver C. came to Missouri in 1883 and located in Stoddard County, where he purchased his present farm of 120 acres. One hundred acres are cleared and under cultivation. Jun 13, 1885, he was married to Mrs. Jane Davis, a daughter of Rev. Joe Coghill, a Christian minister of Illinois. Mrs. Barrett became the mother of seven children and is a member of the Christian Church. Mr. Barrett received an excellent education in the schools of his native county and after moving to Illinois taught sever terms of school.


Henry H. Bedford

Maj. Henry H. Bedford, attorney at law at Bloomfield, was born in Jackson County, Tenn., November 27, 1823, and is the son of J.M. and Elizabeth (Hale) Bedford, natives of Rutherford county, N.C., and Jackson County, Tenn., respectively. The father was born in January, 1799. He was reared in Jackson County, Tenn., and at an early age began the study of law and was admitted to bar when quite young, but never made a general practice of law. He engaged in merchandising at Troy, Obion Co., Tenn., and there remained many years. He went to Mississippi county, Mo., to live with his son H.H., and there died in 1850. The mother died about ten years afterward. They were the parents of eleven children, only one now living. The paternal grandfather, Jonas Bedford, was born in North Carolina, and served fourteen years in Rutherford County District in the Senate. He immigrated to Tennessee at an early day and located in Jackson county, and upon the organization of Obion County, Tenn., he was elected circuit clerk, which position he was holding at the time of his death, which occurred in 1830. He was a very prominent man in his day, and was well known throughout his district. Maj. Henry H. Bedford was the second child born to his parents. He was three years of age when his parents moved to Obion County, where he grew to manhood, receiving a liberal common school education. He had studied with a view of becoming a lawyer and in 1841 he immigrated to Mississippi County, Mo., and entered the office of Judge Harrison Hoff, where he studied law and was admitted tot the bar in 1846. He immediately came to Bloomfield, began the practice of his profession and has made his home fever since. He was the first regular attorney to locate at that place. In 1852 he married Mrs. Minerva Handy, who bore him eight children, five now living: Orlando, Ida V., Ethel (wife Of John W. Harrison) Arthur C. and May. In 1861 Mr. Bedford enlisted in Capt. Hale's company of cavalry, and when the regiment was organized at Belmont he was elected major of the cavalry in which capacity he served for about one year, when he was taken down with pneumonia; his regiment left him and he never again assumed his command. He participated in several hard skirmishes during his service and was a brave and gallant soldier. In 1857 and 1858 he represented his county in the Legislature. He attended the first circuit court in Dunklin county, Mo., in company with Judge John D. Cook, who was then judge of this district and has attended every one since, except the January term of last year. He is a large land holder both in Stoddard and Dunklin Counties. He has about 12,000 acres under cultivation this season, 800 acres in Dunklin County, and over 400 in cultivation in Stoddard County. He is one of the pioneer attorneys of this century. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.


C.H. Bess

C.H. Bess is a son of Andrew and Teney (Taylor) Bess, who were both natives of Stoddard county, Mo. Christian Bess, the father of Andrew J., was born in North Carolina, and his was said to be about the seventh white family to settle in Stoddard county, Mo. Abraham Taylor, father of Mrs. Bess, was also born in North Carolina, and came to Missouri a year or so after the Bess family came. At that time Bloomfield was an Indian town. Andrew Bess was a farmer and miller, and followed these occupations the greater portion of his life. He lived on the farm now owned by his widow. He died in 1861. Of his seven children only five are now living: Christy E., Benjamin M., Nancy, James V. and Isabel. C. H. Bess, son of Andrew Bess, was born in Stoddard County, September 10, 1850, and was reared on a farm. He remained at home until twenty-three years of age, when he married, and located on his present farm of 120 acres. It then consisted of eighty acres. He was married in 1874 to Emma curd, who died, leaving three children: Jackson (born Jul 19, 1875), Tilden (born November 10, 1876) and Freeman (born December 15, 1878). Mr. Bess took for his second wife Mary Bolin, who bore him one child, who died. His present wife was Eliza Sparks. Their family consists of two children: John W. (born March 8, 1885) and Frances (born December 27, 1886). Mr. Bess is a member of the Agricultural Wheel.


William Joseph Bess

William Joseph Bess, one of the enterprising citizens of the county, was born near the town of Ste. Genevieve, Ste. Genevieve Co., Mo., September 6, 1854, and is the son of Christopher and Lucinda (Cunningham) Bess. The father was born in Sullivan County, Mo., in 1825, and died in Salt Lake City, Utah, in 1868. He learned the carpenter and cabinet-maker's trade when young, and worked at the same until his death. He moved from Sullivan County to Ste. Genevieve County, and lived there until going to Salt Lake City. His wife was born in St. Francois County, near Farmington, in 1824. She is still living, and is now a resident of Stoddard County. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Five children were born to this marriage. William J. Bess being the second, and all are living, viz: Sarah Mahala (widow of Ben Ragsdale), William Joseph, Martin L., Cynthia C. (wife of J.W. Stanfield) and Elisha D., William J. Bess, on the 20th of July, 1873, married Miss Rebecca A. Cabe, a native of Henry County, Tenn., born March 31, 1854. To this marriage were born six children - five sons and one daughter: John H., Thomas T., William Grant, Lewis A., Joseph O. and Isa I. Mr. Bess remained with his mother and provided for her, as he still continues to do, until he started out for himself. He had limited means with which to make a start, but he is now the owner of a well improved farm. He is a Republican in politics, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.


Felix H. Bilbrey

Felix H. Bilbrey, M.D., was born in Overton County, Tenn., August 10, 1841, and is a son of Bynom and Ann (O'Neal) Bilbrey, who were born in the same county and State as Felix H. They lived in their native county for a number of years, and then moved to Putnam County, where they resided until their respective deaths. Felix H. grew to manhood in Putnam County, and after reaching man's estate, began the study of medicine under Dr. Hood, and remained with him about one year. He then practiced one year, but owing to ill health, was compelled to give up his profession for the following three years. He moved to Metropolis, Ill., in 1868, and clerked in a drug store two years, and then resumed the study of medicine. After locating at Unionville, Ill., he practiced for three years, and then went to Nashville, Tenn., and during the winters of 1878 and 1879, took lectures, graduating there in the spring of the latter year. He then returned to Unionville, Ill., where he resided until 1881, then moved to Missouri and located in Stoddard County, where he has continued the practice of his profession up to the present time. He was married in Tennessee, in 1866, to Mary Ann Guley, a daughter of Alfred Guley. They have six children: Rufus L., Lenora, Franklin G., Joseph, Jennie and Burton. Mrs. Bilbrey is member of the Christian Church.


John C. Blacksher

John C. Blacksher (deceased) was born in Middle Tennessee on June 29, 1832, and is the son of Jacob and Mary (Berry) Blacksher. John C. Blacksher was reared in Tennessee, where he remained until coming to Missouri. He was a farmer, and had followed this occupation all his life. In 1859 he married Miss Nancy A. Maloney, a native of East Tennessee, and the daughter of William and Lydia (Cooper) Maloney. Her father was a native of Tennessee, and her mother a native of Virginia. They immigrated to West Tennessee, where they both died. They were the parents of eight children, five now living: William, James, John, Elizabeth and Nancy. In 1871 Mr. Blacksher arrived in Stoddard county, coming through in wagons, and located where his widow now lives, having traded his farm in Tennessee for that property. The farm contains 160 acres, all located under the bluff, and eighty-five are under cultivation. To his marriage were born three children: Emma, John and Luther. Mr. Blacksher died on February 15, 1880. He was a substantial farmer, and a good citizen. His two sons carry on the farm, and both are intelligent, enterprising young men.


David A. Bollinger

David A. Bollinger, the present public administrator, and one of Stoddard County's most prominent citizens, was born where he now lives, on September 8, 1845, and is the son of Jefferson and Sarah (Adams) Bollinger. The Bollinger family came from North Carolina to Southeast Missouri, at the earliest setting of the country, and located in Bollinger County, which took its name from this family. Jefferson Bollinger was a native of Southeast Missouri, a farmer by occupation, and died of cholera in 1848. He was the son of Daniel E. Bollinger. The Bollinger family is of German descent. The Adams family was also among the very early settlers of Southeast Missouri. Sarah (Adams) Bollinger was born in Georgia, and was the daughter of Rev. Henry Adams, a Missionary Baptist minister. She died where the town of Advance now stands, February 15, 1862, and was forty-nine years of age. She was the mother of seven children, vis: Mary Elizabeth, William H., Nancy, John, Martha, David A. and Sarah C., all now dead but David A., and Sarah C., who is the wife of Andrew Proffer, a prominent farmer of Stoddard County. Mrs. Sarah Bollinger lived on the farm left her by her husband, for five years, and then married Joshua Mayberry. David A. lived five years with his step-father, then one and one-half years with his brother-in-law, then began life for himself, and spent most of his time in Fulton City, Ill. His earliest ambition was to secure a good education, and it was by the hardest kind of work and under many disadvantages that he finally secured his education. While attending school he was doing all kinds of work that was honorable, in order pay his way. January 2, 1873, he married Miss Susan C. Sitz, who was born in Stoddard County, Mo., October 17, 1855, and is the daughter of Jonas W. and Caldonia Sitz. To Mr. and Mrs. Bollinger were born five children, four now living: Albert Dell, Jettie Bell, Caddie Beatrice and Denie May. Nellie Anzenettie died August 31, 1878, at the age of four years. About that time, and for several years after his marriage, Mr. Bollinger taught school in Stoddard county, Mo. He has taught many terms, and as an instructor, as well as in all other enterprises he undertakes, is a decided success. On starting for himself as a farmer he had seventy-one acres of land left him by his father, and then came very near losing it by a scheme to swindle him out of it. Since that time Mr. Bollinger has added 329, making in all 400 acres, and has a splendid farm. He is an enterprising man, and everything around him goes to prove that he is a first-class farmer. In all public enterprises he is at the front, and Pike Township can boast of some of the best schools in the county, which is mainly due to his arduous labor. In 1884 he was elected justice of the peace, and held the office two years, when he was elected Public Administrator, and has since filled that position. He is a member of the Masonic order, also of the Wheel, and in politics is sympathies are with the Democratic party, but he votes for the best man regardless of party.


James E. Boyd

James E. Boyd, merchant, was born in Maury County, Tenn., February 2, 1842, and is the son of William L. and Nancy N. (Erwin) Boyd, natives of South Carolina and Alabama, respectively. The father was a farmer by occupation and first immigrated to Alabama, from there to Mississippi and finally to Maury County, Tenn., where he was married, and where he lived until 1851, when he immigrated to Cape Girardeau County, Mo. Here he remained until 1855, when he moved to Stoddard County, Mo., and settled in Liberty Township, on a farm where he has since resided. He has always followed agricultural pursuits and is now in his seventy-sixth year. He is the father of four children, three of whom are living: James E., Theodoric W., Robert A., and Laura (deceased). He remained and assisted on the farm until twenty-one years of age, attended the common schools, and in the fall of 1864 he enlisted with Price's command on the confederate side and was with him in his raid through Missouri. He was in several severe skirmishes, but was taken sick while passing through Arkansas, was unable to go on, and was left at a farm house, where he was taken care of for three months. The war being now nearly at a close he went to Southwest Missouri, where he remained until the fall of 1865, when he came home and resumed farming. In the fall of 1867 he taught school, and in the fall of the next year he was employed as salesman for Miller & Buck, and remained in that capacity for five years. He then associated himself with John L. Buck, his present partner in the mercantile business, and has continued in the firm name of James E. Boyd & Co. Mr. Boyd was married in 1874, to Miss Sarah Brooke, a native of Illinois, and to them were born two children: Frank and William Lewis. Mr. Boyd is a member of Masonic fraternity, also the I.O.O.F., and he is a leading and public-spirited citizen. Mrs. Boyd is a member of the Baptist Church.


Theodoric W. Boyd

Theodoric W. Boyd was born in Maury County, Tenn., September 17, 1847, and is a son William L. Boyd, who was born in South Carolina. He became a resident of Tennessee after reaching man's estate, and there married Nancy Erwin. He moved to Missouri about 1852, and in 1854 located on their present farm in Stoddard County. Here the mother died in 1881. Theodoric W. Boyd was reared on a farm and has obtained his education by attending the common schools and by self application. March 3, 1870, he was married to Rebecca Howell, who has borne him four children: William Lewis, Mary, Nellie, and Robert. Mr. Boyd has a good farm of 160 acres near Dexter, on which he has resided since his marriage. He has 80 acres cleared and under cultivation, and on the same are erected his residence and out-buildings. Mr. Boyd has acquired his property through his own exertions, and is an intelligent and thrifty farmer of Stoddard County.


G.N. Broughton

G.N. Broughton, attorney-at-law at Dexter, was born in Oswego County, N.Y., November 30, 1841. His parents, Alanson and Hannah (Squares) Broughton, are natives of New York, and of French and German origin, respectively. Rev. Alanson Broughton was a Baptist clergyman from his youth to his death, in 1880. Mrs. Broughton survives her husband, and lives near Chicago. Her children are Mary (now Mrs. P.R. Brooks), Joseph S., George N., Ellen A. (now Mrs. A.N. wicks) and Gertrude (now Mrs. I.S. Blackwilder, general manager of the Niagra Insurance Company at Chicago). The subject of this sketch was reared in New York, whither his parents had removed during his infancy, and here he studied law, and was about ready to enter Union College, when the war opened. In 1861 he enlisted in Company D, Seventy-Eighth New York Infantry, and served at Cedar Mountain, Second Bull Run, Antietam, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Lookout Mountain and Nashville. At Antietam, a shell-wound in the foot caused his capture and incarceration in Libby prison for four months. He was afterward exchanged, and at Lookout Mountain a gunshot wound disabled him. After the war, he was for some time in the quartermaster's department, at Nashville. After a year spent in Kansas, he came to Scott County in 1868, and engaged in civil engineering from about that time until 1875, on the construction of the Iron Mountain Railway. For about a year thereafter he was land surveyor in Butler County and in 1876 came to Dexter to act as land agent for the Iron Mountain Railway, in Southeast Missouri. Since 1879, however, he has been engaged in the practice of his profession, with excellent results. He is prominent in political circles, and has served as mayor of Dexter for four terms: first in 1877, and the remaining terms since 1885. Mr. Broughton's possessions include 600 acres of good land in Stoddard County, besides considerable town property. Two fraternities claim his membership, the K. of H. and A.O.U.W. He was married, in 1876, to Callie Greer, a native of Kentucky. Their children are Maude and Georgia.


John L. Buck

John L. Buck, merchant of Bloomfield, Mo., was born in Pitt County, N.C., in October, 1830, and is the son of Beyant F. and Selina (Moore) Buck, both of whom were born in North Carolina. They immigrated to Western Tennessee in 1832, settling in Lauderdale County, and here the mother died in 1836. In 1843 Mr. Buck sold his farm and moved to Illinois, but remained there only a short time until he moved to Scott County, Mo., and there died, in the autumn of 1844. They were the parents of five children, only one, John L., now living. Those deceased were Abigail, Nancy, Allen and Amanda. The father was twice married, and by his second wife had three children, all deceased. John L. was two years old when he went with his father to Scott County. In 1848 he came to Stoddard County and located in Bloomfield, where he has since resided. After coming to Bloomfield, he worked at the saddler's trade for two years, under Joel B. Kesner. He was then employed (1851) as clerk in a dry goods store at this place, with Daniel B. Miller, with whom he remained until 1856. He then engaged with his father-in-law, Henry Miller, in the mercantile business at Spring Hill, where they continued for three years, or until 1859, when he moved back to Bloomfield and bought a stock of goods. At the breaking out of the war he was compelled to abandon his business, and did not resume it until the close of the war. He was Assistant Commissary for a short time under Thompson's State militia. At the close of the war, he resumed the mercantile business, under the firm name of Miller & Buck. This continued until 1872, when Mr. Miller died and Mr. Buck purchased his interest and continued the business under his own name for several years, when James E. Boyd became a partner. The firm is now known as James E. Boyd & Co. They have a good two-story brick house, 24X60 feet, with a frame structure in the rear, 24X24 feet, also a side room 14X84 feet. They carry a full line of general merchandise, and are successful in all their enterprises. Mr. Buck has been three times married, his first wife being Miss Frances Miller, by whom he had six children, two now living, Dolly and Alice, both of whom are married. He was married the second time to Miss Laura Boyd, who bore him six children, four now living: Ada, Laura, Charles and James. His third marriage was to Miss Lizzie Miller by whom he has one son, John. Mr. Buck has served as county treasurer for twelve years in succession. He has been a member of the town council and school board, and is one of the most prominent men of Stoddard County.


© 2001 This page created and placed here by: Connie Perkins
May 2001 for MOGenWeb
This site is a part of the Stoddard County Missouri web site,
hosted by: Connie Perkins
Return to:
Stoddard County Web Site