History of St. Charles County, Missouri
History of Femme Osage Township
First Settlers -- Augusta -- Location -- Femme Osage Post office -- Pleasant Hill M. E. Church South -- Biographical
pages 230 - 260
Femme Osage township was the home of Daniel Boone, the great hunter. Every hill and valley within that region of the country has doubtless resounded to the crack of his unerring rifle. Here he and his family lived, having the honor of being the first Americans who settled upon the soil of Missouri.
Nearly a century has passed since the period of their settlement, and nearly three-quarters of a century have elapsed since the old pioneer was buried, yet, many are the stories and wonderful tales of adventure which are remembered and told of him by the older inhabitants of the township. To have known Daniel Boone was a distinguished honor, and one which the old settler is especially proud of. To have seen him, to have been his neighbor, to have rested beneath his roof and dined with him upon the venison which had been killed by his own hands, constitutes a recollection that will live in the memory of the old settler, and grow brighter as time steals away. But few persons are now living who were so fortunate as to know and recollect Mr. Boone. The author met with Mr. Charles M. Johnson, of St. Charles, who has in his possession a cane, which was made and used by Daniel Boone before he emigrated from Kentucky, in 1795. Mr. Johnson came to Missouri in 1835, and after remaining one year on Dardenne Prairie, he purchased the farm of Maj. Nathan Boone in Femme Osage township, and moved into it in 1836. Daniel Boone lived on this farm with his son Nathan. When Mr. Johnson took possession of the premises, Mrs. Nathan Boone was moving out, and finding the cane in an old cupboard, she threw it, with other things, on the floor, preparatory to cleaning up the house. Mr. Johnson seeing the cane on the floor, picked it up and asked Mrs. Boone who owned it. She told him her husband's father, Daniel Boone, and told Mr. Johnson that she would give the cane to him if he would take care of it.
The cane, although it had been used for nearly, or quite a century, is as sound it was, probably, when made. It was cut from the limb of a black-haw tree, and is rather larger than the average cane of to-day, and a little shorter in length, having been worn off at the end. The cane has a handle, or natural rest for the hand, and is smooth, the bark having been apparently cut off with a pocket-knife.
Moses Bigelow, the son of Zachariah Bigelow, of Pittsburg, Pa., came to St. Charles county in 1821. He married Parthena, eldest daughter of Jonathan Bryan, who was a widower at the time, having previously married her cousin, Joseph Bryan. Mr. Bigelow had a thousand dollars in cash when he came to Missouri, and by keeping that sum constantly at interest, it made him a comfortable fortune before his death, which occurred in 1857. Several years before his death, his wife, while on a visit to a married daughter, was thrown from a horse while returning from church, and one of her limbs was so badly fractured that it had to be amputated. She, however, outlived her husband, and died in 1873, of cancer. They had six children: James, Rufus, Rutia, Agnes, Abner and Phoebe. James was married three times; first, to Mary E. Hopkins; second, to her sister, Amanda, and third, to Angeline Callaway. Rufus married Henrietta Eversman; Rutia married Charles E. Ferney; Abner married Hulda Logan; Agnes died single; Phoebe married Fortunatus Castlio.
William Bryan, a native of Wales, came to America with Lord Baltimore about the year 1650, and settled in Maryland. His wife was of Irish descent, and they had three children -- William, Morgan and Daniel. Of the succeeding generations of this family nothing is definitely known, but early in the eighteenth century William Bryan, a descendant of the Roan stock, settled in North Carolina. He married Sallie Bringer, who was of German extraction, and they had eleven children: William, Morgan, John, Sallie, Daniel, Henry, Rebecca, who became the wife of Daniel Boone, Susan, George, James and Joseph. During the Revolutionary War six of the sons served in the American Army, and one (probably Joseph) cast his lot with the Tories. He was promoted to the position of colonel and served with Tarlton during his campaign in the Carolinas. On one occasion his regiment of Tories, being in the advance, was attacked by the patriots and forced to retreat. As they were falling back in great confusion, they met Tarlton, who had heard the firing and accompanied by only a few of his staff officers, was riding leisurely towards the scene of conflict, blowing his bugle as he came. The patriots hearing the sound of the bugle, and, supposing the British army was advancing upon them, gave up the pursuit and retired. When Bryan met Tarlton he demanded in an angry tone why he had come alone, instead of bringing his entire army to his assistance. Tarlton replied he wanted to "see how the Tories would fight." This so enraged the Tory leader that he came near resigning his commission and retiring from the service, and would probably have done so, if he could have returned home in safety. Two of the brothers who were in the American army (James and Morgan) were at the bloody battle of King's Mountain, and from the best information we can obtain, their Tory brother fought against them in the same battle. The war feeling ran so high, they would have shot him, if he had come in the range of their rifles. Three of the brothers (James, William and Daniel) followed Daniel Boone to Kentucky, and built Bryan's Station, near Lexington. Shortly after their arrival, William and two other men left the fort and went some distance into the woods, for the purpose of obtaining a supply of game for the garrison. During their absence they were attacked by the Indians; Bryan's companions were both killed and scalped, and Bryan was shot through the knee with a rifle ball. But, notwithstanding his severe and painful wound, he rode to the fort, a distance of thirty miles, through the thick wood and brush, and gave the alarm in time to save the place from falling into the hands of the Indians. They soon began to suffer greatly for provisions, being so closely watched by the Indians' hunting parties they did not dare venture out, and they were reduced to the necessity of boiling and eating buffalo hides in order to avert starvation. James Bryan was a widower with six children at the time of the removal to Kentucky, and it was his branch of the family that afterwards came to Missouri. The descendants of the other two brothers remained in Kentucky. The names of his children were: David, Susan, Jonathan, Polly, Henry and Rebecca. David married Mary Poor, and came to Missouri in 1800. He settled near the present town of Marthasville, in Warren County. His children were: James, Morgan, Elizabeth, Mary, Willis, John, Susan, Drizella, Samuel and William K. Mr. Bryan reserved a half acre of ground near his home for a graveyard, and it was there that Daniel Boone and his wife were buried. He also had a large orchard, which he grew from apple seed which he carried from Kentucky in his vest pocket. Susan Bryan married Israel Grant, of Kentucky. They had three children: James, William and Israel B. Jonathan married Mary Coshow, a widow, with one son -- William (her maiden name was Mary Hughes). In 1800 he moved his family to Missouri in a keel boat, and landed at the mouth of Femme Osage creek on Christmas-day of that year. He settled first in Lincoln county, near the present town of Cap-au-Gris, but there they were greatly exposed to the attacks of the Indians, and the location proving to be a sickly one, he moved and settled on Femme Osage creek, near Nathan Boone's place, where he lived during the remainder of his life. In 1801 he built the first water mill west of the Mississippi river. The children of Jonathan Bryan were: Parthenia, Phoebe, Nancy, Elijah, Agner, Mary, Alsey, James, Delila and Lavenia. Henry Bryan married Elizabeth Sparks, and settled in St. Charles county, in 1808. They had eight children: Susan, Joseph, Rebecca, Elizabeth, Cynthia, Johannah, John W. and Polly. Rebecca, daughter of James Bryan, married Hugh Logan, of Kentucky, and they had five children: William, Alexander, Hugh, Henry and Mary. Mr. Logan died and she was married the second time to James Smith, of Kentucky. They had two children, when he also died; and in 1810, Jonathan and Henry Bryan moved their sister and her family to Missouri. She settled on South Bear creek, in Montgomery county, and died twenty years later. Her two children by Smith, were named Susan and James. Susan married a man named King, and James married Susan Ellis.
William Coshow, a native of Wales, married Mary Hughes, an Irish girl, and, emigrating to America, settled in North Carolina. He went with Daniel Boone on one of his expeditions to Kentucky, and was killed by the Indians at the head of Kentucky river. He had but one child -- a son named William. His widow married John Bryan, several years after the death of her husband, and they came to St. Charles county in 1800. His son was raised by his step-father as one of his own children. He served in the war against the Indians, and afterwards married Elizabeth Zumwalt, of St. Charles county. They had three children: Andrew J., Phoebe A., and John B., all of whom are still living.
David Darst was born in Shenandoah county, Va., December 17, 1757, and died in St. Charles county, Mo., December 2, 1826. He married Rosetta Holman, who was born in Maryland, January 13, 1763, and died in Callaway county, Mo., November 13, 1848. She was buried in a shroud of homespun wool which she made with her own hands when she was about middle-aged. Mr. Darst removed from Virginia to Woodford county, Ky., in 1784, and in 1798 he left Kentucky with his wife and seven children and settled in (now) St. Charles county, Mo., on what has since been known at Darst's Bottom. Some of the leading men of Kentucky gave him a very complimentary letter to the Spanish authorities in St. Louis, which enabled him to obtain several grants of land for himself and children. The names of his children were: Mary, Elizabeth, Absalom, Isaac, Sarah, Jacob, Samuel, Nancy and David H. Mary married Thomas Smith, of Callaway county, and died; he then married her sister Elizabeth. Isaac married Phoebe, daughter of Jonathan Bryan. Sarah and Samuel died before they were grown. Jacob lived in Texas, and was killed by the side of Col. Crockett, at the battle of Alamo. Nancy married Col. Patrick Ewing, of Callaway county. David H. married Mary Thompson, and lived nad died in Darst's Bottom. They had 13 children: Violet, Rosetta H., Margaret R., Elizabeth I., Nancy E., Harriet, Mary T., David A., Lorena, Henry, Martha, William and Julia. Mr. Darst was a very systematic man, and for many years kept a book in which he recorded every birth and death and all the important incidents that occurred in the community. This book would have been very interesting, but it was destroyed by fire several years ago.
James Fulkerson, of Germany, came to America and settled first in North Carolina, and afterwards removed to Virginia. He had twelve children: Peter, James, John, Thomas, Abraham, Jacob, Isaac, William, Polly, Catharine, Hannah and Mary. Isaac married Rebecca Neil, of Lee county, Va., in 1799, and came to Missouri and settled in Darst's Bottom in 1814. He served in the State Senate one term. He had ten children: William N., James P. Virginia, Bathsheba V., Frederick, Catharine H., Isaac D., Margaret A., Peter H. and Jacob. William N. married Louisa Stanbark. Virginia married Caleb Berty. Bathsheba married Judge John A. Burt. Frederick married Ann Miller. Catharine H. married Shapely Ross. Isaac married Mary Wheeler. Margaret A. married Gordon H. Waller, who was judge of St. Charles county court one term. Peter H. married Martha V. Montague, and they had fifteen children. Jacob died in infancy.
David Frazier, of Virginia, settled in St. Charles county in 1804. He had two sons, Jerry and James. Jerry was killed in Virginia. James married Jane Anderson, of Pennsylvania, who was of Irish birth, and settled in St. Charles county in 1804. They had twelve children: David, James, John, William, Thomas, Martin, Sally, Elizabeth, Holly, Catharine, Jane and Abigail. David married Elizabeth Fry, and lived in Virginia. James married Polly Crow. John was married first to Mary Shuck, and after her death he married Sally T. Hall. The latter was a grand-daughter of Alexander Stewart, who was captured by the British during the Revolutionary War and taken to England, where he was kept in prison one year. When he returned he found all his property advertised for sale, his friends supposing him dead.
Daniel Iman and his wife, who maiden name was Barbara Alkire, settled in St. Charles in 1818. They had nine children: Washington, Adam, Isaac, Daniel, Henry, Solomon, Katy, Mary and Mahala. Washington married Louisa Griggs. Adam was married first to Nancy Hancock, and after her death, he married Virginia Thornhill. Daniel was married first to Elizabeth Hancock, second to Martha A. McCutcheon, and third to Ann Brittle. Mary married John Urf, and Mahala married Benjamin H. Hancock.
John Johnson, of England, settled in Albemarle county, Va., at a very early date. He had two sons, Bailey and James. Bailey married a Miss Moreland, and they had nine children: Basil, Susan W., Bailey, Jr., John, Pinckard, Smith, George, Charles and Presley. Bailey and Charles were the only ones who left Virginia. George was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. He married Elizabeth Blackmore, of Virginia, and they had nine children: Elizabeth, Hannah, Catharine, Nancy, Charles, Edward, George, Bailey and Jemima. Nancy, Edward, Catharine and Jemima died in childhood, in Virginia. Charles was married twice, first to Rachel Woodward, and second to Harriet Ficklin, both of Virginia. By his first wife he had three children, and by the second four. In 1836 he bought Nathan Boone's farm and settled in St. Charles county, Mo., but in 1846 he removed to Illinois. Elizabeth married Rodman Kenner, who settled in St. Charles county in 1834. Hannah married Joseph B. Stallard, who settled in St. Charles county in 1835. George S. married Mrs. Eliza A. Hunter, whose maiden name was Gautkins. She was a daughter of Edward Gautkins and Mary Oty, of Bedford county, Va. Bailey was married twice, first to Catharine Forshea, and after her death to Nancy Campbell.
In 1834, Rodman Kenner, of Virginia, came to Missouri, and settled near Missouriton, on Darst's Bottom, where he lived one year, and then moved out to the Boone's Lick road and opened a hotel where the town of Pauldingville now stands. Mr. Kenner was a first-class landlord, and his house became a noted resort during the palmy days of staging on the Boone's Lick road. Col. Thomas H. Benton and many other well known and leading men of earlier times often stopped there; and, in fact, no one ever thought of passing Kenner's without taking a meal or sleeping one night in his excellent beds. Travelers always had a good time there, and would travel hard two or three days in order to reach the house in time to stay all night. Mr. Kenner made a fortune, and died in June, 1876, in the eighty-sixth year of his age. (See "Anecdotes and Adventures.")
Walter Stallard and wife, Hannah Pitts, were both of Virginia. Their son, Randolph, married Mary Bullett, of Culpepper county, Va., and they had seven children: Susan, Maria, Lucy, Thomas, Joseph B., Randolph and Harrison. Joseph B. was a soldier in the War of 1812. He married Hannah Johnson, and settled in St. Charles in 1836. They had seven children: Maria L., Mary E., Amanda M., Mortimer, Adelia, Benjamin H. and George R., who died young. Mary E. married B. H. Boone; Maria L. married J. C. Luckett; Amanda M., A. S. Clinton; Adelia, Col. Thomas Moore, and Mortimer, Amy Craig.
The town of August is located on the Missouri river, in Femme Osage township. The town was originally called Mount Pleasant, and was laid out in 1836 by Leonard Harold, a Pennsylvania Dutchman, who came to the locality immediately after the War of 1812, through which he had served as a soldier. The population is largely German, the people being exceedingly thrifty and prosperous. The town has no railroad communication, the shipping business being done by river. Up to 1872 Augusta had a very fine landing under the hills that front the Missouri, but during that year the river changed its current, filled in the main channel opposite the town, and the place became practically shut off from the stream, so that the channel is now on the opposite extreme of the bottom land, on the Franklin county side. The landing is now twelve miles down the river, from which point all supplies are hauled by wagon. In the halcyon days of the town the warehouse of Frederick Wencker was the general headquarters for all trading, and he was the leading spirit of the place.
Harold was for many years monarch of all he surveyed, living alone on the village site. In 1835 the emigration of Germans began, and among the first to locate there were Louis Aversman, Conrad Hospers, William Hospers and Louis Hospers.
In 1837 Julius and Conrad Mallinckrodt came from Westphalia, Germany, and located about one mile west of Augusta. The elder brother, Julius, shortly afterward platted and laid out the town of Dartmund, which he named for his native city in Germany. The place was killed in its infancy; in fact, soon after Mr. Mallinckrodt had sold many of the town lots, and before building operations began, the ever changing waters of the Missouri swept around to the opposite side of the broad bottom lands and left the village without a river front. This unfortunate circumstance nipped the embryo city in the bud, and the property again came into possession of its original owner. The property platted at Dartmund is about one mile west of Augusta, in the low lands formed by a creek emptying into the Missouri.
Conrad Mallinckrodt, who is yet alive, taught the first public school ever opened in St. Charles county. The school was in Augusta. Mr. Mallinckrodt is a highly educated and intelligent man, whose influence and ability has long been acknowledged wherever he is known. He is an accomplished civil engineer and surveyor, and through his efforts many of the best turnpike roads in the county were laid out and completed. He also perfected the final village plat of Augusta in 1858. Among the achievements of his long and useful career, and to which he refers with pardonable pride, is the fact that under his tuition and careful instruction Judge Arnold Krekel, of the United States Circuit Court at Kansas City, acquired the education that has so distinguished him in his position as a scholar, a juror, and a valuable member of society.
In 1840 it was discovered that the industry of wine growing could be made a lucrative one, and for about ten years many systematic trials were made to determine the adaptability of the soil for that purpose. In 1850 regulary staked vineyards began to make their appearance, and now the business has become one of the leading industries of the community. The wine product is very large, and great pains have been taken to establish and maintain a grade of purity not excelled among the native wine growers of the country. Large quantities are yearly shipped to Chicago and St. Louis, and yet the business may be said to be in its infancy.
In 1856, while the temperance laws were being enforced in the State, a number of German residents of Augusta, who found it impossible without interruption to enjoy themselves around the wine table in the manner common to their native land, took advantage of an ice blocade in the river to organize a musical and social society, which has since become one of the most prosperous associations of its character in the West. They erected a tent on the ice, and here over the muddy rivers of the Missouri, on January 13, 1856, organized the "Augusta Harmonie Verein." The following thirteen comprised the original membership: John Fuhr, Frederick Wencker, Ferdinand Koch, Charles F. Tieman, Berthold Hoffman, Henry Vogt, Eberhard Fuhr, George H. Mindrop, Fritz Brinckmeyer, Bernard Folleilius, Julius Holdenberg, Dr. C. L. Gerling and John Koch. For a long time the society was compelled to use a flat boat on the river as a place of meeting, and for twelve years it existed without a charter. However, in 1867, the association was incorporated under the State law, still preserving its original name. In 1869 a plat of land was purchased in an eligible location in the town, and a hall was erected at a cost of $2,000.
The society was formed for the purpose of social intercourse, the culture of vocal and instrumental music, and also to afford its members opportunities for study and instruction, through the medium of a carefully selected library, which now contains nearly three thousand volumes. The society is, and always has been, exceedingly prosperous. It has come to embrace all the leading German residents of the vicinity. Its entertainments are of a high order of merit, the recurring summer night musicales, and the occasional hops during the long winter evenings being red-letter events in the history of the town.
Augusta has its complement of churches, excellent schools, fine society, and being populated by an industrious class of people, its isolation from railroad communication is compensated in the spirit of harmony and content that seems to pervade among its residents.
Femme Osage Post-Office
The location of Femme Osage village is quite romantic. The small collection of houses nestled among the trees in the valley of the Femme Osage creek, surrounded by high, wooded hills, gives to the place the appearance of some old Swiss village, and renders it especially attractive to the traveler who loves the wild and picturesque beauties of nature. A short distance from the little cluster of houses is located the old stone house erected by Nathan Boone, in which his renowned father, Col. Daniel Boone, passed his latter days.
On the side of the hill, about 200 yards from the main road, which winds along the crooked banks of the clear and quiet stream, stands an old weather-beaten and moss-covered Evangelical Church. It is built of stone in a primitive style of architecture, and is said to be one of the oldest structures in the county.
A blacksmith and wagon shop, a shoe shop and one small general store, comprise all the business houses of the place, most of the trading being done at Augusta, distant five miles. To the valley of the Femme Osage is attached special interest, for along this stream, and over the hills which girdle it, were favorite haunts of the great hunter Boone, who came to the locality before the Indians took their departure, and who must have here found a perfect fulfillment of his idea of rugged and natural wilderness and solitude.
The village of Femme Osage can not become a large and thriving town, owing to its location, but the natural beauties surrounding it, and the interesting historical reminiscences of its earlier settlers, will ever attract and please the historian and antiquarian.
Pleasant Hill M. E. Church South
This church, in Darst's Bottom, was organized in 1856, and a brick church was built the same year, at a cost of $3,000. The constituent members were D. H. Darst, W. W. Parsons, P. Ashy, Emily Schoat, Phoebe Parsons and John Frazier. The present membership numbers 12. The names of the pastors who have served this congregation at different times are: Revs. B. H. Spencer, J. H. Prichett, H. Brown, Bro. Loving P. Vandiver, Henry Roy, S. S. Woody and W. A. Jones. There are 30 scholars in the Sunday-school, the superintendent being George L. D. Keller.
(Farmer and Stock-raiser, Justice of the Peace and Attorney in Justices' Courts, Post-office, Augusta).
'Squire Bigelow, a large land-holder and leading farmer and stock-raiser of this county, is also a man of prominence in public affairs in his part of the county. He has held office of justice of the peace for over 20 years, and also does considerable practice as an attorney in justices' courts. His long experience as a magistrate and his thorough familiarity with the laws germane to justice's juridiction and practice, as well as his sterling good sense and judgment and influence and force as an advocate, render him a representative in courts of this class by those who have causes pending, of more than ordinary value. Indeed, taking these circumstances into consideration, united with the just influence he has by reason of his long residence, thorough acquaintance and high standing in this part of the county, it will be safe to say that he makes a better and more successful attorney than the average of lawyers in the circuit courts, for leading and prominent lawyers care but little for justices' practices, and therefore soon become rusty in it, like an advanced professor in a college becomes rusty in the elementary branches; whilst the lawyers who are anxious for practice in justices' courts are generally men too wooden-headed fto hold a place in the circuit court, and therefore incapable of learning or doing anything anywhere. A good level-headed justice of the peace of any considerable experience can knock such attorneys out of time every round in a magistrate's court, or anywhere else for that matter, where good common sense counts for anything. The 'Squire had a good practice in this department of the law, and has established an enviable reputation as a competent drawer of papers and tryer of cases in court. His farm contains 930 acres, or rather he has that much land, of which the homestead includes 320 acres. His place is well improved and he is independent. He was born in St. Charles county, April 22, 1822, and was a son of Moses and Parthenia (Bryan) Bigelow, his father from Pennsylvania, but his mother from Kentucky. They were married in St. Charles county, the father having come here in 1820, and the mother two years before, at the age of 7 years. The father served for over 20 years as justice of the peace, and died in 1864, aged 77. The 'Squire was reared on his father's farm, and has never been out of the State except once, when he walked over the bridge at St. Louis, just in order to say that he had traveled abroad and seen something of the world. He has found St. Charles county, however, good enough for him and proposes to spend the rest of his days here. He was married in 1845 to Miss Elizabeth M. Hopkins, formerly of Virginia. She was taken from him by death, however, some years afterwards, leaving two children, George H. and Ella, wife of Benjamin Silvy. Both of the children by his first wife now reside in Henry county. To his second wife, formerly Miss Amanda Hopkins, he was married February 20, 1861. She was a sister to his first wife, and is also deceased. She left three children, Sarah M., Thomas M. and Emma. His present wife was a Miss Malinda A. Callaway before her marriage, a daughter of William B. Callaway, one of the early settlers of St. Charles county. They were married at St. Louis December 18, 1871. The 'Squire and Mrs. Bigelow, his present wife, have five children, Viola, Oleta, Morgan, Dale (a daughter) and Marvin M. He and wife are both church members, he of the M. E. Church and she of the Presbyterian denomination. He is also a member of the Masonic order.
(Vintager, Farmer and Justice of the Peace, New Melle).
Dr. Theodor Borberg, the father of the subject of this sketch, was of one of the better untitled families of Hesse Darmstadt, and before coming to this country was a prominent druggist of Nidda and also mayor of that city. His wife, whose maiden name was Eliza Grascurth, was of a well respected family of Bavaria. They came to America in 1857, and located in St. Charles county, where Dr. Borberg was engaged in the practice of his profession among his German-American neighbors until his death. He died here in 1877. His wife preceded him to the grave by seven years. There are two others of their children living besides Theodor, Jr., the subject of this sketch. Theodor Borberg, Jr., was born at Nidda, Germany, October 21, 1838. He was, therefore, 19 years of age when he came to this country with his parents in 1857. He was educated in Germany and also served an apprenticeship of three years under a merchant at Giessen, as is the custom in that country for young men to do who expect to make merchants of themselves. After coming to this country he clerked in a store in Warren county, this State, for some four years. He then enlisted in the Union service July, 1861, in Co. B, Third Missouri infantry, for three years, taking part in the battles of Pea Ridge, Vicksburg, Jackson, Miss., and numerous others. After the war he resumed clerking, which he followed until 1867, when he engaged in grape growing and making wine, and also in farming. He has ever since continued in these pursuits. For several years he held the office of constable and now is serving his second term as justice of the peace. In 1868 he was married to Miss Emma Kruse, a daughter of Julius H. and Minnie Kruse. They have two children living: Alma E. and Eugene Julius. Theodor is deceased.
JOHN B. COSHOW
(Farmer and Stock-raiser, Post-office, Hamburg).
Mr. Coshow's father, a pioneer settler of Missouri and a gallant old Indian fighter in the early days of this State, a companion in arms with and a friend of Daniel Boone, Callaway, Beshears and Dodge, the pathfinders for civilization in this then wild and weird region, came to St. Charles county from Kentucky in 1799 in company with his mother and step-father, Jonathan Bryan, his father having been killed by Indians at the head of the Kentucky river during Armour's campaign, when J. B. Coshow's father was but nine years old. This family were among the first who settled in this county. Mr. Bryan saw much hard service in the early Indian wars of that period, and it was his courage and his industry that contributed to drive away the Indians and clear away the forests so that this might be the abode of a prosperous, populous and enlightened people. He lived to a good old age and reared a worthy family of children. Mr. C. finally yielded his body to the earth again and his immortal part to heaven in 1866. He was married in this county in 1813 to Miss Elizabeth Zumwalt, formerly of Virginia. They reared three children, all of whom are living. Of these John B. Coshow, the subject of this sketch, was born in this county October 5, 1819. He was reared in those early days to hard work on a farm, and had little school advantages. Mr. Coshow has followed farming continuously from youth, and has become well-to-do in life. He has 350 acres of good land, 300 of which are well improved. He was married to Miss Arthusie Brown in 1843. She died in 1866, leaving four children, all of whom are living: William T., Mary E., John A. and Teny M.
HAMPSON S. CLAY, M.D.
(Physician and Surgeon, Augusta).
Dr. Clay is a native Missourian, born in the vicinity of Augusta, May 4, 1848. His father was Matthew A. Clay, also born and reared in this county, and his mother a Miss Amanda Miller, originally from Rappahannock county, Va., but reared in St. Charles county, this State. Mr. Clay's grandfather located in this county from Ireland in 1800, and Matthew A. Clay, his son, was born and reared in the same house where the subject of this sketch was born and now resides. The farm is the old Clay homestead settled by the grandfather about the beginning of the present century. Matthew A. Clay became a very successful farmer and owner of a number of slaves. At one time he was one of the leading tax-payers of the county, and, indeed, was in the midst of a successful career at the time of his death, in the summer of 1860, being then in the meridian of life. Dr. Clay was the firstson in a family of five children, his younger brother, James M., being now a resident of Pike county. The Doctor was educated at the St. Charles public schools and at Westminster College, and later he began the study of medicine under Dr. John S. Moore, of St. Louis, and afterwards took a regular course at the Missouri Medical College, where he graduated with the highest honors of his class, in 1873. He then located on Darst Bottom in this county and engaged in the practice of his profession. In 1881 he removed to Augusta, having previously, however, been in practice in this vicinity. He has built up a large practice and has been very successful in his profession, both in the treatment of cases and in a material point of view. April 14, 1874, Dr. Clay was married to Miss Celia Stumpf, of this county, and a lady of superior intelligence and culture. She was educated at Lindenwood College. February 18, 1879, Dr. Clay had the misfortune to lose his wife, who passed quietly away from this world of care and sorrow after a long and painful illness. The Doctor is a member of the Augusta Harmonie Society.
JAMES P. CRAIG
(Farmer and Trader, Post-office, Schleursburg, Mo.).
Mr. Craig's parents, Parkerson and Isabella, were born, raised and married near Berryville in Clark county, Va. The father was born June 10, 1808, and the mother December 23, 1820. They were married November 9, 1837, and moved to Missouri in November, 1843. Settling on a farm they bought on Femme Osage creek, they lived there respected by all, and reared a family of six sons and one daughter. The father died on his farm March 2, 1875; the mother died March 19, 1877. Their oldest son, Josiah Craig, married Miss Mary E. Marsh and is living on a farm in this county. The subject of this sketch is the second son. John W., the third son, married Miss Missouri A. Livergood of this county, and is now a farmer in Henry county. Craven T., the fourth son, is unmarried and a farmer, living on the farm, and on which he was born. Lewis B., the fifth son, is a graduate of medicine and surgery of the Missouri Medical College, St. Louis, Mo. He is practicing his profession in Salem, Dent county, Mo. Hi s a prosperous young physician and is one of the best skilled surgeons in Southwest Missouri. He married Miss Drusa J. Roberts, of Salem, Mo. Eben C. Craig, the sixth son, is unmarried and is living on the farm with his brother, C. T., of which they are owners. Emily J., the only sister, is living with her brothers on the old homestead; she is an intelligent and amiable young lady and has a host of friends. The brothers and sister, like their parents, are highly respected by the better class, and are known by their acquaintances as genuine Virginia stock, that ask for nothing but what is right and submit to nothing that is wrong. James P. Craig, the subject of this sketch, has a good education and has a thorough knowledge of business, as he is a graduate of a commercial college in St. Louis. He subsequently studied law two years, but afterwards gave it up; he is now a notary public, farmer, etc. His opinion on matters of State are not to be despised and he says he always was, is now, and ever will be a Democrat, if there's none left but himself, as he believes the principles of Democracy the only guarantee of a just and honest government.
HERMAN C. DAMMANN
(Dealer in General Merchandise, Augusta).
Born in the State of New York October 10, 1852, Mr. Dammann was the son of William Dammann and Frederike (Berger) Dammann, both formerly of Germany. The same year of his birth his family removed to St. Louis, where the father was engaged in business for a number of years, or until his death, which occurred in 1864. The same year the mother with her family of children removed to Augusta, in this county, where Herman C. grew up and learned the carpenter's trade. After working two years at his trade young Dammann obtained a clerkship in a store, and followed clerking here for a number of years. In 1881 Mr. Dammann commenced business for himself, and bought out this old employer. He has a good store, embracing a large and well selected stock of general merchandise. He is doing an excellent business. Mr. Dammann is still unmarried, but keeps house, his mother having charge of the home affairs. He is a member of the Harmonie Society, and is quite a popular young man, and has a liberal patronage.
(Farmer and Stock-raiser, Post-office, Femme Osage).
Among the substantial farmers and well-respected citizens of Femme Osage township is the subject of the present sketch. Mr. Dieckmann was born in this county February 6, 1840. His father was John Dieckmann, who came here from Germany in an early day. The father was a farmer by occupation, and died in 1857. The mother, whoe maiden name was Johanna F. Arms, also from Germany, died in 1876. They had eight children, seven of whom are living. Ernst Dieckmann received a good ordinary common-school education as he grew up, and being reared on a farm very naturally became a farmer of occupation. He has sinced followed farming, and has nearly 400 acres of land. December 3, 1863, he was married to Miss Caroline Filling, a daughter of Louis and Kate Filling, formerly of Germany. Seven children are the fruits of their married life: Oliver, Lavenia, Paulina, Arthur, Ida, Henry and Emma. Ella is deceased.
FRANCIS L. FLUESMIEIR
(Farmer, Post-office, Schluersburg).
Mr. Fluesmieir, a substantial farmer of Femme Osage township, who owns a good place of over 200 acres, was a son of Henry and Villamini Donettie Fluesmieir, both originally from Germany. His father, Henry Fluesmieir, served under Napoleon I. during the latter's great continental wars, and afterwards came to this country in 1836. He became a farmer of St. Charles county and died here at a good old age, May 29, 1872. Francis L., the subject of this sketch, has his father's saber and pistol that the latter carried throughout the Napoleonic Wars. Mr. F.'s mother died in this country, in 1867. They have three living children. Francis L. Fluesmieir was born in this county, October 2, 1839. Reared on his father's farm he too became a farmer when he grew up, and has since followed that occupation. In 1867 he was married to Miss Catherine E. Ashby, a daughter of Benjamin P. and Mary A. Ashby, formerly of Clark county, Va., who came to St. Charles county in 1843. They had only one child, which was born January 30, 1844. Mary A. Ashby ws born July 5, 1825, and died November 5, 1844. Benjamin P. Ashby died May 8, 1880, having been born April 30, 1810. Mr. and Mrs. F. have five children: Elihu, Statella, Luella, Bruce and Mary D. Mrs. F. is a member of the M. E. Church South.
(Wine Grower, and Leader of Cornet Band, Augusta).
Mr. Fuhr is a native of Germany, and was born October 21, 1820. His father was Henry Fuhr, and his mother's maiden name Christina Menhardt. They came to America in 1837, when John was 17 years of age, and the same year settled in Warren county, where the father followed farming until his death. John received a good education in Germany, having attended school nine years regularly before coming to this country. He made a study of music, and after leaving Germany, attended school at St. Louis for a time. He came to Augusta in 1848 and, although an accomplished musician, there being little demand for musical talent in that early day, he followed farming. However, he kept up his music by practice, and in 1855 was instrumental in organizing the Harmonie Dewcori Society at this place, of which he has been a prominent member ever since. It was first organized as a singing school and afterwards a cornet band gesellschaft was formed, of which he became the leader. He has been the leader of the band ever since, and it practices regularly twice every week. All are thorough musicians, and the band has the reputation of being one of the best in this part of the State. The career of the society has been a very successful one. It owns a handsome park in which is a fine music hall, and the society is regularly incorporated under the laws of the State. Formerly Mr. Fuhr carried on the manufacture of boots and shoes quite extensively, and worked from ten to fifteen men. Now, however, the protective tariff upheld by Republican rule has had the effect to place the boot and shoe manufacturing industry, as almost every other industry has been placed, in the hands of a few large manufacturing capitalists, who have crowded all men of limited means out of the different manufacturing industries, and forced them to go to work at daily labor in large factories, or to engage in other pursuits. Mr. F. makes a few boots and shoes yet, but does nothing in this line at all to what he formerly did. He has a good vineyard, which the protective tariff, and the men made rich by it can't crowd him out of. He makes about 2,800 barrels of excellent wine every year. He is a married man. His wife was a Miss Caroline Schaefer, and they were married at St. Louis in August, 1845. They have had six children, all of whom are deceased, namely: Pauline, who died in 1869, aged 19; Eda, who died August 10, 1884, aged 30; and Amelia, who died after becoming the wife of Conrad Mallinckrodt of this county. The others died in infancy.
FRANCIS R. GANNAWAY
(Farmer and Stock-raiser, Post-office, Femme Osage).
Mr. Gannaway, a leading farmer of Femme Osage township, is a native Virginian, born in Buchanan county, August 25, 1826. The family came originally from Virginia to St. Louis county, as early as 1831. He died in St. Charles county in 1841. Mr. Gannaway's mother, whose maiden name was Alice Fandin, died in the county of St. Louis. Afer her death the father was married a second time, when Miss Frances McDearmon became his wife. She was also from Virginia and died in St. Charles county in 1841. By the first marriage there were three children, two of whom are living, one being the subject of this sketch; and by the second marriage there were six children, three of whom are living. Francis R. Gannaway was principally reared in St. Louis and St. Charles counties and was brought up in the occupation of farming. In 1850 he was married in this county to Miss Martha Finney, daughter of Milton Finney, formerly of Virginia. Three children are the fruits of this union: Milton, Edmund and Frank. In 1873 Mr. Gannaway had the misfortune to lose his wife. She was a lady much beloved as a neighbor and highly esteemed by all. An affectionate wife and a devoted mother, she was loved in her own family with more than ordinary tenderness. Mr. Gannaway has an excellent farm of 300 acres and is comfortably situated.
HENRY W. GERDEMANN
(Postmaster and Retired Merchant and Farmer, Cappeln).
This old and respected citizen of St. Charles county is a native of Germany, born in Wester-Cappeln, December 16, 1811. His father was J. Henry Gerdemann and his mother's maiden name was Catharine Elizabeth. The father died there in 1833, and in 1838 the mother, with her family of seven children, came to the United States, Henry W. and John H., a younger brother, having come to America in 1833. They located in St. Charles county. She died here in 1844. They had nine children, all of whom came to America, but only four of whom are now living. Henry W. Gerdemann received a good education in his native language at the common school of Wester-Cappeln. Seven years after coming to this country he was located at St. Louis, and in 1841 he began farming and merchandising in St. Charles county. He had a successful career in these pursuits and retired from merchandising a few years ago. He has a fine farm of nearly 400 acres of land. He is now postmaster at Cappeln, an office he has held for some time past. He has also held the office of justice of the peace. January 27, 1837, he was married to Miss Regina E. Schröer, a daughter of Garrett and Regina Schröer from Germany. 'Squire and Mrs. Gerdemann have five children: William F., Henry T., George H., August H. and Regina E., now Mrs. H. G. Karrenbrock. The 'Squire and wife are members of the Evangelical Church.
(Farmer, Post-office, Femme Osage).
Mr. Groenemann was born in Germany, January 13, 1823, and when 11 years of age was brought to this country by his parents, Adolphus and Catharine (Boermann) Groenemann, who emigrated to St. Charles county in 1834. The father died here in 1863, and the mother in 1877. Henry grew to manhood in this county and learned the occupation of farming as he grew up. In 1851 he was married to Miss Wilhelmina Heymann, from Germany. She died in 1865, and afterwards he was married to Miss Loretta Brugemann, also originally from Germany. By his first wife there are five children: Minnie, Caroline, Hans, Louisa and Fritz. By his second wife there are five children: August, Eddie, Emma, William and Martha. Mr. Groenemann is an enterprising farmer and has a comfortable homestead. He is a well respected citizen and commands general respect and esteem.
GEORGE H. GRUMKE
(Retail Dealer in Liquors and Newspaper Correspondent, Augusta).
Mr. Grumke was born and reared in St. Charles county and had little or no school advantage to speak of as he grew up. Not only that, but he has had the additional disadvantage of being a cripple from youth, the result of a serious spinal injury he received. Nothwithstanding these drawbacks, however, he has succeeded in making his way through the world with good success thus far, and has become a man of good general education and of popularity and influence in the community. He is regarded as a man of information and is recognized as something of a leader in this part of the county. He has been the regular correspondent of one of the St. Charles papers from Augusta, as, indeed, he is yet, and his letters have attracted wide and favorable attention throughout the county. Mr. Grumke was a son of Henry and Katarina (Hackman) Grumke, both formerly of Germany. His father came over to this country when a young man, in 1829. He was subsequently married to Miss Hackman by 'Squire Moses Bigelow, father of James Bigelow, whose sketch appears in this volume. After his marriage Mr. Grumke entered land and improved a farm in this county, where he lived until his death. George H. was the second of their family of nine children. On account of his misfortune in being a cripple he learned the tailor's trade, at which he worked until 1858. He then engaged in merchandising at Schleursburg, where he sold goods for almost ten years and until his removal to Augusta 1872. Here he bought property and has since been engaged in the saloon business. He keeps a good, orderly house and has a liberal share of the patronage in and around Augusta. In the fall of 1860 Mr. Grumke was married to Miss Eliza Sitz. She died in 1868. There were two children, both deceased in infancy. May 27, 1869, Mr. Grumke was married to Miss Eliza Vogt, a daughter of George and Helena Vogt, formerly of Germany. They have five children: Helena, George H., Fritz, Laura and Gustavus. Two are deceased: Augusta and Charles. Mr. and Mrs. G. are members of the Evangelical Church.
PROF. JOHN A. GUETLICH
(Principal of the Public Schools, Augusta).
For 22 years continuously Prof. Geutlich has presided over the school for which he now has charge as principal. The gratifying progress pupils have made from year to year under his instruction, the general success of the school and the unbroken confidence and appreciation the people have shown for him through so many years, speak more for his reputation as an educator and his character as a man than anything that could be said to his credit in the present sketch. His record in this school is his greatest eulogy, compared to the eloquence of which the mere words of a biographer are as only the idle winds that blow. Prof. Guetlich is a German by nativity, and as he grew up in his native country received a well-grounded, substantial solid education, so far as school instruction was concerned, in the teachers' or Normal school of his native grafschaft. He was born in 1826, and continued in Germany after he attained his majority until 1854, when he came to this country. Here he located in Warren county, Mo., where he gave private instruction in German. Two years later he located in St. Charles county and took charge of a public school in Cappeln, which he continued to conduct with success for a period of six years, at the end of which time, in 1862, he was elected principal of the Augusta public school. So well pleased have been pupils and patrons with his conduct of this school, that no one to succeed him has ever been thought of. Every year he has kept a 10-months's school, being one of the few public schools of the State which have been kept running continuously 10 months of the year ever since the war. Prof. Guetlich is a man of culture and refinement, pleasant, agreeable manners, interesting and instructive in conversation, and much prized as a member of any intelligent, self-respecting social circle which is favored with his presence.
HERMANN HENRY CONRAD HAFERKAMP
(Farmer, Retail Dealer in Liquors, Vineyardist Wine-maker, Augusta).
Mr. H. is one of the many energetic, successful, self-made German-American farmers and business men of St. Charles county, who have contributed so large a part to the growth and development and the prosperity of this county. He was born in Hanover, April 7, 1834, and the following year was brought to America by his parents, John Hermann Haferkamp and wife, nee Helena Sephus, who settled here, near Augusta, where they made their permanent home. The father died in 1854, but the mother is still living, at the advanced age of 84 years. Hermann Henry Conrad Haferkamp grew to manhood in this country, where he received a good common-school education in the English and German languages. After he became large enough to help on the farm he assisted on the place of several years, and then, in about 1860, built a business house at Augusta and engaged in the saloon business. He continued here with success for about five years and then sold out and bought a farm. He continued to farm for about ten years after this and planted a vineyard on some five acres of ground. He carried on farming and raising grapes and making wine until 1877, when he came back and started another saloon. He has been very successful and now has three good farms in the vicinity of Augusta, besides valuable town property. His landed estate numbers over 700 acres. Besides attending his saloon he farms to some extent with hired help, and superintends his vineyard, but has his lands principally rented out. In 1855 Mr. Haferkamp was married to Miss Regina Rother, of this county, but of German descent. His first wife died, leaving him five children: Bettie, the wife of Henry Beverburg; Gustavus, Ida, Theodore and Eddie. Mr. Haferkamp's second wife was a Miss Mary Englelage before her marriage. They had two children, Emma and Hubert. His last wife was a Miss Mary Meyer before marriage. They have two children, one boy and one girl. Mr. H. has held several local offices and is one of the highly respected citizens of Augusta.
JOHN B. HAYS
(Farmer and Miller, Post-office, Schleursburg).
In 1797 Mr. Hays's father, Daniel Hays, who was a grandson of Daniel Boone, came to St. Charles county from Kentucky in company with his grandfather, the brave old pioneer and Indian fighter. It was about the second trip that the hero of the pioneer time of Kentucky and Missouri made to the State. The grandson, Daniel Hays, who was named for his grandfather, was then a mere youth, but he came of a stock that had the courage to face any hardship or danger, and he passed through many of both in this new country. Like his grandfather, he was a fearless Indian fighter, and as vigilant and dangerous an enemy with the rifle as the red man had to meet. He took part in many rencounters and bloody frays with the Indians until they were driven out of the country after the War of 1812. He was one of the most fearless volunteers in that war, and was twice wounded during its short but bloody record. He was shot in the neck by an Indian who took dead aim at his head, but proved not to be as good a marksman as the pale face would have been in similar circumstances. The ball lodged in his neck where it could not be extracted without fatal results, and he carried it with him to the grave. He died in this county in 1866. The other wound he received was a painful wound in the knee from a rifle ball. He was a substantial farmer of this county, and also followed milling for many years. During the Indian depredations in Missouri he commanded a company of volunteers, styled private men. Capt. Hays became famous throughtout the West for his daring and fearless dash throughout the war. He was married in Warren county in early manhood to Miss Mary Bryan, a daughter of David Bryan, a pioneer of that county. She survived until 1867, the year following his death. He had twelve children, only two of whom are living. John B. Hays, the subject of this sketch, was born in this county December 31, 1836. He was reared to the occupation of farming and milling. In 1862 he enlisted in Capt. Johnson's company, under Col. Dorsey, in the Confederate service, and was connected with the service during the war. He afterwards returned to his native county, and in 1866 he was married to Miss Julia A. Howell, a daughter of Pizarro and Maria Howell. They have three children: William J. Coonza L. and Wade Hampton. Mr. Hays has a good farm of 444 acres.
GEORGE T. HELDMAN
(Vineyardist and Vintager, Post-office, Augusta).
Mr. Heldman is a native of Prussia, where he was born May 21st, 1843. His father was Carle Heldman and his mother Bettie Falkman before her marriage. When he was about seven years of age the family came to America and settled in St. Charles county, where the father died shortly afterwards. The family then removed into Augusta, having previously resided in the vicinity of the town. George T. grew up in Augusta and received the elements of a common-school education. While still a youth he learned the cooper's trade and afterwards worked at his trade in St. Louis, Chicago and Peoria. In the summer of 1862 he returned home and enlisted in Co. A, Seventeenth Missouri infantry as a private, but at the end of five months was honorably discharged on account of physical disability. Returning home, after he recovered his health, he went to work at his trade again, and in 1871 went West and followed mining in Montana and Nevada for a time. In 1872 he went to San Francisco and worked at his trade there for about six months and then returned home. In 1873 he bought the place where he now resides. He has a handsome vineyard of five acres and makes about 4,000 gallons of wine per annum. He wholesales his wine in St. Louis and Chicago. Mr. Heldman has a fine wine cellar on his place, which has a capacity for about 10,000 gallons. His place is well improved, including a good residence and other buildings, and his tract of land contains 22 acres. The grapes that he principally grows are the Concord, the Virginia Seedling and the Elvira White Wine. In November, 1876, Mr. Heldman was married to Miss Anna Hundhausen, a daughter of Fritz and Bertie Hundhausen, of Franklin county. Mr. H.'s wife died April 26, 1879, leaving two children, Bertha and Fritz. Mr. H's sister has since kept house for him. He is a member of the Augusta Harmonie Society and of the Augusta school board.
WILLIAM C. HELDMAN
(Vineyardist and Vintager, Post-office, Augusta).
Mr. Heldman learned the carpenter's trade when a young man, and worked at it until the outbreak of the Civil War. He then enlisted in the first call for three months' men, Union service, and after the expiration of that term enlisted in the regular three years' service, becoming a member of a company in the Seventeenth Missouri infantry. He served until the close of his term, in the fall of 1864. He was then honorably discharged and returned home, expecting, however, to re-enlist, but by the explosion of a gun, from which he received a severe wound, he was prevented from enlisting again. While in the service he took part in a number of the leading battles of the war, among which are called to mind those of Pea Ridge, Chickasaw Bayou, Arkansas Post, Jackson, Vicksburg, Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge, Resacca, Dallas (Ga.), Kenesaw Mountain, Jonesburg, and the battle around Atlanta. In the winter of 1865-66 Mr. Heldman bought the land where he now resides, soon after which he improved it for a vineyard. He now makes about 1,500 gallons of wine per annum, and also has a good orchard on his place. He has an excellent wine cellar, well supplied with the best wines of home manufacture, and at his kind invitation the writer had the pleasure of sampling a number of the best wines. Being a judge of thorough qualifications the writer can truthfully testify that Mr. Heldman has some of the best wines to be found in the country, for the writer is not only thoroughly familiar by habits of long and constant use with all the different brands of domestic and foreign wines to be found in the markets of the different States, but, also, with all other kinds of distilled, fermented and spirituous liquors good, bad and indifferent, in whatever manner or after whatever form made or concocted. To this day our experience in Mr. Heldman's cellar is looked back to as one of the happiest in all our career in the affairs of life. But levity aside, the writer must say, in all frankness, that these wines are of a very superior quality. In the spring of 1874 Mr. Heldman was married to Miss Matilda Summa, a daughter of Ulrich Summa, of St. Louis, but formerly of Germany. Mr. and Mrs. H. have four children: Olga, Frida, Fannie and Flora.
HENRY W. KARRENBROCK
(Owner and Proprietor of Cappeln Custom and Merchant Mills).
Mr. Karrenbrock is well known as one of the old and well established millers of this part of the county. He has been connected with his present mill for nearly twenty years and has made it one of the successful mills of this vicinity and surrounding country. The mill was built by himself and his brother, Gerhard W. Karrenbrock, in 1857, and includes a complete flouring apparatus, corn mill, saw mill and wool carding machinery. It has done a steady and substantial business from the first, and improvements have been added to it from time to time until it is conceded to be one fo the valuable mill properties of the county. Gerhard W. Karrenbrock retired from the frim in 1884, since which Henry W. Karrenbrock has been the sole owner and proprietor of the establishment. His father was Henry Karrenbrock, Sr., a native of Germany, who came to this country with his family in 1844 and located in St. Charles county. Mr. K.'s father died in 1852, and the mother in 1847. Two of their four children, besides Henry W., are living. He was born in Germany June 19, 1829. He was therefore nearly grown when the family came to this country. He remained on the farm until 1857 when he began the milling business with Gerhard W. Karrenbrock, of this county. He has continued in the milling business most of the time since. In 1853 he was married to Miss Elizabeth Kauestermeier. They have twelve children: Mary, Henry, Mina, Herman, Lina, Emma, Augusta, Lizzie, William Charles, Martha, and Olenda. Mr. and Mrs. Karrenbrock are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
G. W. KARRENBROCK
(Owner and Proprietor of the New Melle Custom and Merchant Mills).
Mr. Karrenbrock is a native of Germany, born in Prussia, February 21, 1835. He was ten years old when he accompanied his parents to this county, they having emigrated to America in 1844. They settled in St. Charles county, and here the father died in 1854. The mother died in 1855. They had six children, four of whom are living. G. W. Karrenbrock was reared a farmer, but, when 20 years of age, began to learn the milling business, in which trade he has ever since continued. In 1860 he married in this county to Miss Louisa Laumeier, a daughter of Henry L. and Mary Laumeier. Mr. and Mrs. Karrenbrock have eight children: George, Charlie, Meta, Eliza, Edward, Lydia, Sarah and John. He and his wife are members of the M. E. Church. Mr. Karrenbrock bought the New Melle mill in 1882 and has since run it with good success. It is an excellent mill, built in 1868, by Schlottman & Wenke, and has a daily capacity of eighty barrels. The mill is doing an excellent business, mainly with local custom. It makes a very superior article of flour, which has attained an enviable reputation and is in general use throughout this part of the county and in neighboring localities. Some is also shipped to other markets and meets with ready sale.
GEORGE L. D. KELLER
(Farmer and Stock-raiser; Post-office, Schleursburg).
January 12, 1848, was the date of Mr. Keller's birth, and his father's homestead, in Washington county, Va., was the place. His father was a blacksmith, and, when George L. D. was still young, removed to Clinton county, Ill. Seven years later he returned to Washington county, Va., where he lived until his death. He died there in 1874. His wife was a Miss Susan Baber before her marriage. They had a family of twelve children, nine of whom are living. The mother died in 1877. George L. D. Keller was reared in his native county in Virginia, and came to St. Charles county in 1868. Subsequently he went to Montgomery county, Kas., and from there he went to Virginia in 1871. The following year, however, he returned to St. Charles county, where he has since resided and been engaged in farming. He has a good farm of 119 acres. In 1873 he was married to Miss Mary, a daughter of Isaac and Jane McCormick. They had five children, four of whom are living: Daisy, Curtis, Maude and Alberta. Louis is deceased. Mr. and Mrs. K. are members of the M. E. Church.
CHARLES FRED KNEPEL
(Farmer, Post-office, Schleursburg).
Charles Fred Knepel, the subject of this sketch, was born in St. Charles county, Missouri, February 20, 1852. His father was Christopher Knepel, from Hanover, Germany, a carpenter and farmer by occupation; and his mother's maiden name was Johanna Westendorf, also from Hanover. They came to this country over forty years ago, and were married in St. Charles county, in 1848. Their mother died in 1877. Charles F. is the only one of the children living by this union. Charles F. Knepel was reared in St. Charles county and received a common school education. In 1877 he was married to Miss Adele Horst, a daughter of William adn Louisa Horst. They have two children: Thura and Vera. Their church preferences are for the Presbyterian denomination. Mr. Knepel's farm contains 289 acres and is well improved.
HENRY F. KNIPPENBERG
(Farmer and Stock-raiser, Post-office, Femme Osage).
'Squire Knippenberg has led a life of marked industry, which has been directed by good sound sense and excellent business management, and has resulted in placing him among the substantial property holders of this township. He has nearly 800 acres of fine land, and one of the best farms in the township. he was born and reared in this county and came of a highly respected German-American family. His father, Henry Knippenberg, came over here as early as 1833 and settled in St. Charles county, three years later. He married Miss Catherine Hilderbrand in 1836, and she is yet living. He died in 1878. Henry F. is the only one of their children living. He was born January 9, 1842, and was reared to a farm life and educated in the common schools. At the age of twenty-one he engaged in merchandising at Femme Osage, and followed it for six years. He then resumed farming and has since continued that occupation. For twelve years he served as justice of the peace of Femme Osage township. April 28, 1870, he was married to Miss Louisa Otting. They have five children: Oleander, Annie, Henry, Waldend, Delia. Mr. and Mrs. K. are member of the Evangelical Church. 'Squire Knippenberg is one of the thorough-going enterprising farmers of Femme Osage township, and as a neighbor and citizen commands the respect and confidence of all who know him.
(Farmer, Post-office, Schluersburg).
Among the many old and respected Virginia families who settled in this county during the second quarter of the present century was that of which the subject of this sketch was a member. He was born in Cabell county, W. Va., March 1, 1821, but his parents, Ely and Jane (Craig) McCormick, were born and reared in Clark county, of the Old Dominion. From there after their marriage they removed to Cabell county, W. Va. They had four children, three of whom are living. After the father's death, in 1838, the mother with her family of children came to St. Charles county, Mo. She died here in 1867. Isaac McCormick, the subject of this sketch, was partly reared in St. Charles county, and in 1846 was married to Miss Elizabeth J. Darst, a daughter of David and Mary Darst. Mr. and Mrs. McCormick have seven children, and three deceased. Those living are: William H., Ely W., Mary V., now the wife of G. L. D. Keller; Julia F., now the wife of M. B. Hayes; Lucy M., now the wife of S. K. Audrain; Isaac M. and Georgia A. Mr. and Mrs. McC. are members of the M. E. Church. He has followed farming in this county from youth, and has a good place of 180 acres.
RICHARD C. MATSON
(Farmer and Stock-raiser, Post-office, Augusta).
Mr. Matson's father, Abraham S. Matson, came to this county in an early day, when a youth. He was from Bourbon county, Ky., and after leaving his native State was a resident of Pike county, Mo., for 20 years before coming to St. Charles county; and after leaving St. Charles county he engaged in the live stock commission business in St. Louis, where he now resides. He was married here November 15, 1839, to Miss Phoebe A. Coshow, of an old and respected family of this county. Four children were the fruits of their married life, including the subject of this sketch, but only two are living. The father was a soldier in the Black Hawk War, and one of the substantial farmers and highly respected citizens of the county. Richard C. Matson was born on the family homestead, in this county, September 17, 1849, and was reared to a farm life, including the handling of stock. To complete his education he was sent to Pardee College, at Louisiana, and subsequently he took a course at Stratton & Bryant's Commercial College, in St. Louis. After this he returned home and resumed farming, but soon began to turn his attention especially to raising and handling stock. He has continued both farming and the stock business up to the present time and has had good success. Mr. Matson has a place of 455 acres, most of which is well improved. It is known as the old Daniel Boone place, having first been settled by that old pioneer. Mr. Matson, among his deeds in the chain of title to the place, has one of Daniel Boone, bearing the autograph signature of the old pioneer. In 1874 Mr. Matson was married to Miss Mary A. Murdoch, a daughter of George and Caroline Murdoch, of this county. Her parents were early settlers here.
(Grape Grower and Manufacturer of Wine, Augusta).
Mr. Muench has a vineyard of about seven acres, and last year he made about 7,000 gallons of wine. He ships, principally, to Chicago, to the well known firm of Kirchoff & Hubarth, where his wine has a well established reputation for purity and excellence. He is a native of this county, born March 18, 1854. His father wsa George Muench, who came to this country from Hesse-Darmstadt, in 1837, and located in Warren county. In 1860, however, he removed to this county and established the industry in which his son is now engaged, the vineyard business and manufacture of wine. He died here April 26, 1879. His wife was Miss Wolff before her marriage, formerly of Germany. George Muench, the subject of this sketch, was brought up to his present business and learned it thoroughly under his father. His success in it therefore is not surprising. He succeeded his father in the ownership of the vineyard at the latter's death, as well as in the management and conduct of the business. October 8, 1879, he was married to Miss Helen Meyer, a daughter of Alfred Meyer, of Franklin county. They have three children: Towell, Oscar and Minnie. Mr. M. is a member of the Augusta Harmonie Society.
(Farmer and Stock-raiser, Post-office, Augusta).
Mr. Murdoch is one among the oldest native residents of St. Charles county. He was born here over 71 years ago, and his home has been in the county from that time to this. He has been an energetic and respected farmer and citizen of the county ever since he grew up. Mr. Murdoch has a good farm of 400 acres, which is well improved. He also has about 200 acres of other land, principally timber. December 10, 1843, he was married to Miss Caroline Kennedy, a daughter of James and Sarah Kennedy, of Warren county. Four children have been the fruits of their married life, namely: Emily J., now Mrs. James W. Howell; James L., Mary A., now Mrs. R. C. Matson, and Virginia L. Mr. Murdoch's father, Alexander Murdoch, was one of the pioneer settlers of this county. He was from Pennsylvania and came here as a trader, away back in the wilderness days of the country when the Indians were still here, and but very few white people, those who were here being principally Spanish and French. He came here some years before the beginning of the present century, and lived here until his death, at a good old age, in 1824. Mr. Murdoch, Sr., became one of the prominent men of the county among the early settlers. He held the office of justice of the peace for many years and was afterwards a member of the county court. He was also tendered an election to the Legislature, but declined the honor, preferring rather to remain at home and look after his private interests and those of the county, and to enjoy the comforts of home life in the bosom of his family. He was not only a successful farmer but a very energetic, capable business man. His wife, whose maiden name was Mary Zumwalt, survived for 20 years, dying in 1844. They had a family of eight children, five of whom lived to reach mature years, and three are still living. Both parents are members of the M. E. Church. Mr. Murdoch, their third son, and the subject of this sketch, was born on his father's farm in Darst's Bottom, April 24, 1813. At the age of 13 he left home and went to Pulaski county, but returned three years later, to remain, however, only a short time. He then went to a place where he subsequently engaged in the lumber business, and later still in merchandising. After carrying on a store for about five years he returned to St. Charles county and engaged in farming, where he has ever since resided. However, he once started to Galena, Ill., to engage in lead mining, but while en route there became involved in the Black Hawk War, and was for a short time in the service against that doughty chieftain of the aborigines.
WILLIAM W. PARSONS   (Deceased)
(Femme Osage Township).
Mr. Parsons was partly reared in this county, and he made it his home until his death, which occurred August 22, 1876. He was well known as one of the most highly respected citizens of Femme Osage township, and was a farmer and stock-raiser of untiring energy and industry. Largely by his own exertions and good management he accumulated a comfortable property, although he was barely a middle-aged man at the time of his death. He was a native of Virginia, born in Hardy county, August 18, 1927. A son of Thomas and Phoebe (Ward) Parsons, of that State, he was brought to St. Charles county by them in 1840, who removed to this county when he was about 13 years of age. His father, a farmer by occupation, died here December 22, 1852. His mother died January 2, 1860. They had 9 children, among them William W. was the oldest. After he grew up on his father's farm, in this county, he was married there to Miss Maria E. Livergood, a daughter of Levitus and Sarah Livergood, her father originally from Pennsylvania, but her mother born and reared in St. Louis county. Her father died in St. Louis in 1848. Her mother is still living. Mr. Parsons at his death left a good farm of over 400 acres, where his widow, Mrs. P., now resides. But one of their family of three children is living, namely, William Lee. Her husband was a member of the M. E. Church, to which denomination she also belonged. Mrs. Parsons is a lady of marked intelligence, amiable disposition, a valued neighbor and an excellent manager of her farm affairs. She is highly esteemed by all who know her.
(Dealer of General Merchandise, Augusta).
It was in 1848 that Mr. Tiemann's father, Charles F. Tiemann, then a young man, came over to this country from Hanover, Germany, and located in Augusta, in St. Charles county. Here he shortly engaged in merchandising, and although he began in comparatively a small way, he soon built up a large business. He was married at Augusta, Mo., to Miss Susanna Miller, a daughter of Mr. Miller, formerly of Germany. She died in 1866, since which Mr. Tiemann, the father, has not remarried. He is now living rather in retirement, his son having succeeded him in business in 1878. Fritz Tiemann, the subject of this sketch, was born in Augusta March 10, 1853. He was reared at this place, and spent his youth in his father's store and at school. He was thus brought up to merchandising, it may be said, and learned the business thoroughly, especially the details of the business to which he has since succeeded. In the fall of 1880 Mr. Tiemann, Jr., was married to Miss Frances Helmkampf, a daughter of Herman Helmkampf, of St. Louis. They have two children: Susie and Frances. Mr. Tiemann carries a large and well selected stock of general merchandise, and does an extensive and profitable trade. His business amounts to about $40,000 a year, besides a heavy business in the grain trade, which he conducts. He handles, practically, all the grain shipped from this point. Mr. Tiemann has a commodious brick business house, and a large, comfortable neatly built brick residence.
JUDGE GORDON H. WALLACE and WILLIAM P. WALLACE
(Farmers and Stock-raisers, Post-office, Hamburg).
The record of the family of which the subjects of the present sketch are worthy and respected representatives, leads us back to the Revolutionary days of the Republic, and, indeed, beyond the period of our own national history. The family is of Scotch origin, and is believed to be descended from the noble and chivalrous and gallant William Wallace, whose fame, like the morning light, circles the earth. Judge Wallace's father was Dr. John C. Wallace, a noted physician of Pennsylvania, but a native of Maryland, where the family had been settled long prior to the Revolution. In the War for Independence he was a sergant under "Mad Anthony Wayne," and fought under that doughty hero of the Revolution at Ticonderoga, Brandywine, Jamestown, Monmouth and Stony Point. He also participated in the triumph of Maumee in 1794. All this was prior to his removal to Pennsylvania. He made his home in the Keystone State in 1812, just about the time the second British war opened. Though advanced in years he again buckled on his armor for the defense of his country, and enlisted a company of volunteers for the service, of which he was made captain. He served under Harrison, and participated in all the campaigns and battles in which his command took part. After the war he returned to Pennsylvania and settled down quietly with his family at Erie, in Erie county, where he resumed the practice of his profession. Later along he was elected mayor of Erie, and afterwards sheriff of Erie county. For many years he served as magistrate for the county, and finally died at a ripe old age, highly honored by all who knew him, in 1825. His wife died in 1821. She was a Miss Margaret Herron before her marriage, also of Maryland. Judge Gordon H. Wallace was born December 19, 1807, and was reared in Erie county, Pa. He received a good common English education, and in 1831 went to the State of Louisiana, where he engaged in merchandising. Two years later he came to St. Charles county, Mo., and her for a time he clerked for B. J. Orrick. In 1834 he located at Missouriton, and soon became a partner with Mr. Orrick in a branch store at St. Charles, which he conducted for about three years. Since then he has been principally engaged in farming and raising stock. Judge Wallace has held various official positions in the county, including that of county judge, and he has been magistrate of Femme Osage township for a number of years. He has a good farm and is comfortably situated. In 1834 he was married to Miss Margaret Fulkerson, a daughter of Capt. Isaac Fulkerson. They have reared two children, William P. and Elizabeth J.
WILLIAM P. WALLACE, born on his father's homestead in this county August 26, 1836, inherited the martial qualities of his grandfather -- love of military life, intrepid bravery and an indomitable spirit of daring and of adventure. The result is he has led a thrilling career though a humble one as a private soldier in the war annals of his country. He was one of the first in St. Charles county to swear allegiance ot the three-barred and bright-starred banner of the Confederacy, and long after that gallant standard sheet that he waved in triumph over many a bloody battle-field had gone down to rise no more, he refused to surrender his sword to the victorious hosts of the North, and to this day has never for an hour or a moment been a prisoner of any man or command on the earth. He entered the Southern army in the spring of 1861 and did not return until 1865. He fought out the issues of the war in the ranks as long as there was a Southern flag to wave or Southern commander to lead a charge, and then refusing to surrender went with gallant Joe Shelby to the sun-scorched plains of the Mexican Republic. From there, after enduring many hardships and too proud and high spirited to return, he went to Cuba, intending to proceed thence to South America, where he expected to make his permanent home, far removed from contact with the victors of the North. But circumstances, as they control everything, changed his course and purpose, and after much wandering about in strange lands and among strange people he returned once more to his native soil for the independence of which he had fought so long and bravely and well. For some six years he was a pilot on the Missouri river, and then he engaged in the cattle trade between Missouri, Kansas and Texas. But his father had now begun to fail on account of old age, and yielding to the impulse of filial affection he came home to help his father in the management of the homestead, and to be with him, his staff and stay through his declining years. He has since had charge of the farm in this county. He was married in 1874 to Miss Jennie P. Boone, a daughter of Thomas N. Boone, a fair descendant of the doughty old pioneer, and worthy companion to so gallant and fearless a soldier. They have three children: Gordon T., Lizzie L. and Jennie P.
(Of C. Wencker & Co., Dealers in General Merchandise, Augusta).
Mr. Wencker has an excellent store in his line, and does an annual business of about $20,000. His business was originally built up by his father, Frederick Wencker, to which Mr. Wencker, Jr., succeeded at the former's death. Born in Augusta February 28, 1852, Carl Wencker was reared at this place and principally brought up in the store. His general education was received in the schools of that place. Being thoroughly trained by his father in the business of merchandising he was well qualified to take charge of it at the time of his father's death, and, indeed, even before that time. His father died in 1879, and since then he has had control of the business, and has managed it with marked success. His father was appointed postmaster in 1862, and held the office during the remainder of his life. At his father's death Carl Wencker was appointed to succeed him, and has since held the office. Mr. W., Sr., was a man of frail constitution, and in ill health the most of his life, but was a man of great energy and ambition, which more than made up for his physical disability. His wife was a Miss Caroline Schaaf, a daughter of Henry Schaaf. Her father was one of the early settlers of St. Charles county. Being a miller he ground the first barrel of flour ever made at the old stone mill in St. Charles. Mrs. Wencker is still living, and is the mother of six children, three of whom are sons. Carl is the eldest of the family. He was married at this place December 7, 1876, to Miss Laura Dammann, a daughter of Henry Dammann.
GUSTAVUS WIELAND, M.D.
(Physician and Surgeon, Augusta, Mo.).
Dr. W. was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, September 10, 1838, a son of Gust. E., Sr., and Caroline von Maur, both of old Wurtemberg families. The Doctor was reared in Wurtemberg and was educated in the gymnasium of that State, receiving an advanced general and classical education. He then, in 1857, entered the University of Wurtemberg as a student in the department of medicine and surgery, from whence he graduated in 1862. He subsequently emigrated to the United States, and coming to St. Louis he was appointed acting assisting surgeon in the Federal army and assigned the duty at the United States general hospital at that city, where he was stationed for about 18 months. In the fall of 1864, he was commissioned regimental surgeon of the Forty-first Missouri infantry, in which position he served until the close of the war. After the war he was post surgeon at Franklin, Mo., and in the meantime built up a private practice at that place. He removed from Franklin to Warren county and was successfully engaged in practice in the latter county until 1881. He then came to Augusta and has been here ever since. He has built up a good practice here and is one of the leading physicians of this part of the county. March 14, 1865, he was married to Miss Lizzie Roemer, a daughter of John Roemer. They have five children: Gustavus, Olga, Oscar, Ida and Laura. He and wife are members of the Protestant Evangelical Church.
Transcribed June 2003 by Deborah Heimann -- Co-ordinator for the St. Charles County, Missouri USGenWeb pages.