History of St. Charles County, Missouri
Its Location and Boundaries -- Principally Timbered Land -- Blue Grass Yield and Corn Crops -- Stock Raising -- Population -- Water Facilities -- Large Creeks and Tributaries -- Abundance of Spring Water -- Fine quality of Timber, and the Lumber Industry -- Callaway, the Second Township Settled in County -- Advantage that Attracted Pioneer Immigration -- Whom the Pioneers were -- The Callaway Family -- The Howells -- Joseph Baugh -- Henry Abington -- The Edwards -- Oglesby Young -- Other Pioneers -- C. F. Woodson, the Oldest Living Resident of the Township -- The Character of the People of the Township -- Their Schools, Churches, Etc. -- Biographical
pages 282 - 297
The present township of Callaway is situated in the western part of the county and lies immediately west of Dardenne township, extending thence to the Warren county line. On the north it is bounded by Cuivre township, Peruque creek being the dividing line between the two; and on the south by Femme Osage township. It is one of the old townships of the county.
It is largely a timbered township, but has some valuable prairie lands. Much of the timber has been cleared away to open up farms, and the land, generally, is of an excellent quality for wheat and fruit, whilst the tame grasses, particularly blue-grass, yield good crops. Corn is of course raised to a considerable extent, but mainly for feeding purposes, hogs being the principal stock fattened, for this part of the county is well adapted ot hog raising. Though the township has a population of 1,830 (or, rather, had in 1880, according to the United States census), still, there is a large area of unfenced timbered lands, which afford fine range for hogs, as they produce considerable "mast", such as acorns, hickory nuts, etc. Cattle also do well, and all raise them to some extent, several farms of the township being among the prominent cattle raisers of the county.
A considerable portion of the timbered lands is quite broken, some of it, indeed, too much so for active cultivation, but will always be valuable for pasturage, and doubtless stock-raising will continue to be one of the important industries of the township. The lands, generally, are well watered either by the main current of Peruque creek or its tributaries, or by the headwaters of the Dardenne or other streams. There are also many fine springs in the township, which afford excellent water, cool, pure and delightfully refreshing.
The timber of the township was originally of an excellent class, large oak and other trees, indigenous to this section of the country, thickly set and many of them of great thickness and height. Some of the best hard-wood lumber put on the market has been made in this section of the county, and the manufacture of this class of lumber was for a time quite a valuable industry. Indeed, there are still several good saw mills in the township, which are doing an excellent business. But as this township has been settled for many years, much of its timber, of the more valuable class, has of course been culled. Yet, there is still some very fine timber in localities, which has been carefully and wisely preserved by the owners.
Callaway township was one of the first settled in the county. Indeed, it was settled second only after St. Charles. Its lands being generally uplands, and thus free from the malaria and miasma which so seriously prevailed in the lower parts of the county, this was one of the considerations which influenced many of the pioneers to make their homes here, off the river. Besides, the many fine springs met with were not unimportant factors in the early settlement of the township, for with our pioneer fathers a good spring, and with our pioneer mothers a good, cool, spring milk-house, were considered hardly less valuable than rich, fertile soil for a homestead. Those were the days before wells were generally made, and cisterns were of course out of the question. Hence, where a good spring could be found, if the land was at all arable, a home was made. Nor was a very large field necessary, for corn was not generally raised then for sale, or to be fed to stock on a large scale, but principally for meal, hominy, and to fatten the usual number of hogs for meat for home use, and to feed the stock through the winter and the plow-horses through the summer. Moreover, the abundance of game largely took the place of tame meat. Our good forefathers of the first and, indeed, the second generation of this county, live, principally, on good, rich corn bread, the best of spring-house milk and butter, well cured smoke-house meat, wild game, hominy and mush and wild honey -- by no means poor living; better than many of their sons, grandsons and great-grandsons have in the days of progress. They wore good, honestly-made homespun jeans and linsey, slept on warm, thich feather beds, drank their own apple cider and lived independent, hospitable lives, with the latch-string of their doors always out for friend and stranger alike. Such were the early settlers of Callaway township.
Among the first who came, away back when the blanket Indians were here, or, rather, before they had got the blankets and still had on the war paint and flourished the tomahawk, were the Boones and Callaways. The Boones, however, made no permanent homes in what is now Callaway township; therefore the Callaways were among its first bona fide settlers, and it was for them that the township was named. This was the home of Capt. James Callaway, one of the most dashing, fearless and intrepid Indian fighters of whom the pioneer history of Missouri gives any account. His career and tragic death are briefly outlined in a former chapter of the present work. Boone and Thomas Callaway also settled in this township; and the history of their lives is intimately interwoven with the stirring events of those times, not only as respects Callaway township and St. Charles county, but all this part of the country.
Henry Abington was another early settler of this township, but at a period considerably later than that of the Callaways. He came from Virginia, but was of Scotch ancestry on his father's side. His grandparents were John Abington and Mary (Watson) Abington. She died in Montgomery county, Md., leaving five children, Bowles, Lucy, John, Elizabeth and Henry. The father afterwards removed with his children to Henry county, Va. The children all grew to mature years and married, some of them settling in different part of the county. Bowles joined the American army during the Revolution, at the age of 18, and served until the close of the war. He married Sarah Taylor, a daughter of William and Sarah (Scruggs) Taylor, of Virginia, and seven children were the fruits of their union: William N., John T., Susanna, Taylor, Bowles, Henry and Lucy. John T. settled in Tennessee; Susanna became the wife of Thomas Travis, afterwards of this county; Taylor married Amanda Payne; Bowles married Mary Baldwin, but died soon afterwards without issue. Henry Abington of Callaway township, is still living, and is one of the leading citizens of the county, as well as one of the oldest living settlers of the township. He is a prominent and well-to-do farmer now living in retirement, and has represented the county in the Legislature for three terms.
Joseph Baugh came here prior to Mr. Abington. He settled in Callaway township in 1816, and is therefore well entitled to go down in the history of the county as one of the pioneer settlers of this township. He was of an old Virginia family, a descendant of one of the colonists of Jamestown. He came of one of three brothers who came over to Jamestown at a time when that and Plymouth were the only white settlements in the Colonies. Abram Abington was Mr. A.'s father. He left 10 children by his wife, whose maiden name was Judith Coleman: Joseph, Thomas N., Edsa, William, Alexander, Abram, Jesse, Mary, Judith and Rhoda. Joseph Baugh, the eldest of these, and who settled in Callaway township as stated above, served five years in the Revolutionary army, and afterwards removed to Madison county, Ky. Thence he came to this county in 1816. He left eight children: William, Benjamin, Judith, Alsey, Nancy, Mary, Patsey and Lucinda.
The Edwards family, of whom Judge W. W. Edwards, Hon. A. H. Edwards and Maj. James Edwards are prominent representatives, were likewise early settlers of this township. They are descendants of Ambrose and Olive (Martin) Edwards, of Albemarle county, Va., who left 10 children: Brice, James, John, Childs, Henry, Joseph, Booker, Carr, Susanna and Martha. John and Henry settled in St. Charles county. One or town of the others also came to Missouri, but did not settle in this county. Henry Edwards married Sarah M. Waller, a daughter of Carr and Elizabeth (Martin) Waller of Virginia. Judge W. W. Edwards, formerly United States District Attorney and now Judge of the St. Charles Circuit, and his brothers, State Senator Edwards and Maj. James Edwards, an officer in the United States Senate, are sons of Henry and Sarah M. (Waller) Edwards.
The Howell family were contemporaries with the Callaways, in Callaway township. They came here in 1800. Three years before that time they had located in St. Louis county, or in what is now the county of St. Louis. When they came across into St. Charles, three years afterwards, no "county" had of course been formed, and it goes without saying that there was no Callaway township. Francis Howell, Sr., was the founder of the family in this county. He was the youngest of three sons, John and Thomas being the other two, of John Howell, originally from Pennsylvania. John Howell, Jr., removed to Tennessee, where he died, leaving a widow and four children. Thomas lived in South Carolina until the Revolutionary War. He married a Miss Bearfield. Meanwhile, before they had grown to mature years, their father, John Howell, had removed to North Carolina, where he died, and where the sons grew to their majority.
Francis Howell, the youngest of the three sons, married Miss Susan Stone, a daughter of Benjamin Stone, of South Carolina, and came to the vicinity of St. Louis in 1797. In 1800 he came to St. Charles county and settled on what was afterwards known as Howell's Prairie, in Callaway township. He built the second mill in the county, known as the "Band Mill." This was the first mill erected north of the Missouri river, except a small one in St. Charles. Years afterwards he replaced his old mill with a new one, which was called the "Cog-Wheel Mill." The difference in the names of the mills arose from the fact that the first was run by a band and the second by a cog-wheel. His place was a noted resort in those early times. Musters and drills were frequently held there, and Indian agents, in conducting Indians to and from St. Louis, often stopped there for supplies. He died in 1814 in the seventy-third year of his age, and his wife died eight years afterwards.
They had 10 children: John, Thomas, Sarah, Newton, Francis, Jr., Benjamin, Susan L., Lewis, James S. and Nancy. John was married three times and died in his eighty-seventh year, leaving nine children. He was a Ranger in Capt. Callaway's company. Thomas married Susanna Callaway, a sister of Capt. Callaway, in whose company he also served as a Ranger. Fourteen children were the fruits of their union. Mr. H. died in his eighty-fifth year. Newton married the widow of Raphael Long. They had 10 children, and he died in his seventy-fourth year. Francis married Mrs. Polly Ramsey, widow, a daughter of James and Martha Meck. He died in his eighty-second year. He served two years as a Ranger, partly in Capt. Callaway's company and partly with Capt. Nathan Boone. He was also a colonel of militia for about five years. Benjamin married Mahala Castlio and they had 12 children. He was captain of a company of Rangers for two years, ahd died in his sixty-third year. Susan married Larkin S. Callaway, a son of Flanders Callaway, and died at the age of thirty-three, having been the mother of seven children. James S. married Isabelle Morris, and died in this thirty-third year. Nancy was married twice, first to Capt. James Callaway and after he was killed by the Indians to John H. Castlio. Lewis received a classical education and became one of the successful and prominent educators of this part of the country. He married Miss Serena Lamme, of this county, a great-granddaughter of Daniel Boone, and three of their six children are living.
Oglesby Young settled in Callaway county in 1829, and was a grandson of William Young, who came from England to America and settled in Halifax county, Va. He served as a soldier in the American army during the Revolutionary War, and married Elizabeth Stegale. They had eight children: Archibald, Marland, Milton, Peyton, Wiley, Samuel, Francis and Judith. They first three were also soldiers in the Revolutionary war, and Archibald settled in Kentucky. The other two settled in Smythe county, Tenn., and Wiley settled in East Tennessee. Samuel died in Virginia, and Francis and Judith married and lived in that State. Peyton married Elizabeth Oglesby, and of this union were Celia, George, Nancy, Oglesby, William, Peyton, Elizabeth and Araminta. Oglesby married Jane Love, a daughter of Robert and Esther (Bevan) Love, and came to Missouri, making his home in Callaway township, of this county.
There are a large number of other old settlers, sketches of whose families we would be glad to give, and some of whom are quite as deserving of a place in this chapter as any we have mentioned. But we were not favored with the facts for all of them. Those who are omitted were left out, not through any desire of ours, but because it was impossible to get the facts for all. We have presented only sketches of those for which we were fortunate enough to obtain the facts. But even if we had the necessary information for all, we could not use them for want of space. To do otherwise would necessitate the exclusion of valuable matter which ought not be omitted.
Probably the oldest living resident of the township is Mr. C. F. Woodson. The other old residents aer, or were (for some of them are deceased), Robert Bailey, Henry Brandes, Preston McRoberts, Samuel Cunningham, the McWaters, the Holts and the Hannahs, and, indeed, a hundred others might be mentioned.
The people of Callaway township hold a worthy place among the best people of the county. As a community they are law abiding and peaceable, and as neighbors, and friends hospitable and kind. They are industrious and energetic, and most of them are comfortably situated in life. Probably they do not have as many large property holders among them as are to be found elsewhere, but on the other hand fewer cases of want or abject poverty are met with here than are usually observed in other communities.
Callaway township is essentially a farming community. Its people live, principally, by the sweat of their brow and the independent and honorable pursuit of agriculture. Their farms are usually not large, but are closely cultivated and well managed. They have good schools, good church accommodations, and are an intelligent, God-fearing people. No one who goes among them can bring away, if his own head and heart are right, any other recollection than those of pleasure and good will.
New Melle is one of the most thriving villages of the county. It is located in the midst of a rich farming country, in Callaway township, eight miles from the Wabash, St. Louis and Pacific railway, and twelve miles from the Missouri river. Samuel F. Cunningham, a Virginian, located near the present site of the village in 1834, but the town was not laid out until 1848. Ernst Bannerman was the first settler on the town site of New Melle, arriving there in 1840. Henry Hardach came about the same time, and yet resides near the town. Franz Henry Porter secured the government grant for the land upon which the town is built, erected the first house and practically laid out the place. He died soon after 1848, leaving a large family, many of whom still reside in New Melle and vicinity. Conrad Weinrich, who yet resides there, passed through the place in 1837, but did not locate permanently until 1851. He is now the oldest living resident.
The town does a thriving trad, being supplied with all the necessary stores and a mill. Its location is high and dry, and consequently healthy. The rich prairie soil to the north-east and north-west of the town, has brought to the vicinity a class of well-to-do farmers, whose presence guarantees to New Melle a prosperous career. There are two churches here; the town has the best of school facilities, and its people are a cordial and hospitable community.
St. John Evangelical Church -- Located 1½ miles south-east of Cappeln, was organized in 1843. The original members were: H. Prickwinkle, H. Myers, J. H. Sleahberg, E. Kammier, H. W. Neddermeier, G. Kalaursmier and J. Koster. The membership at present is 33. The pastors who have administered to the spiritual needs of this church have been J. C. Seybold, J. H. Buchmiler, J. H. Haepler, A. Kittener, J. Becktold, A. Junion and G. Dornenburg Eilts. The present church was built in 1864, a stone structure, at a cost of $2,000. A Sunday-school of 35 scholars is superintended by E. Eilts.
Pauldingville Congregational Church -- Was organized March 3, 1873, with Mr. R. J. Watson and wife, R. F. Kenner and wife, A. P. Mills, A. L. Harris and wife, Samuel Cliff and wife and Jerry G. Ahley as its original members. It is now composed of 35 members. The names of the different pastors who have served this congregation are as follows: Rev. J. S. Rounce, Rev. C. R. Dudley and Alanson Bixby. The present frame structure was built in 1873, at a cost of $1,600. The Sunday-school is composed of 56 scholars, the superintendent being J. H. Parsons. There is a prosperous temperance literary society connected with the church. This was the first Congregational Church in St. Charles county.
New Melle M. E. Church -- Was organized in 1871, its original members being Henry Hackman, Joseph Giesmann, Joseph Sudbrock, Frank Sudbrock, Joseph Reiske, William Nievey, Henry Welker and J. W. Karrenbrock. The present membership numbers 43. The pastors who have had charge of this church are William Simon, Henry Miller, F. Seuyaser, John Suntmier, C. Steinmeir, Fritz Konig and J. Froeschee. This church was built in 1878, it being brick, at a cost of $1,700. The scholars in the Sunday-school number 35, their superintendent being J. W. Karrenbrock.
St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church -- Located at New Melle, was organized in 1842. The original members were William Wulfekoetter, Fred Windhorst, Louis Stiegmeier, William Wanke and William Meir. The present membership numbers 400. The pastors who have served this church are H. Fick, A. Claus, Fred Ottman and W. Matuschka, who is the present pastor. The present church was erected for $3,500 in 1858, it being a stone structure. There are 75 scholars in the Sunday-school.
REV A. BIXBY
(Pastor of the Congregational Church at Pauldingville).
Rev. M. Bixby has had charge of his present church at Pauldingville since the fall of 1883 and has become well known, not only to the members of his own congregation, but to the people generally of the community, as an earnest, pious minister and an able eloquent preacher. He has achieved marked popularity at his present location by his many estimable qualities, his manifest kindness of heart, his earnest sincerity, and his untiring zeal in the cause of religion. He has been for 38 years in the service of his Master as a Christian minister, and has ever borne an irreproachable name, according to all testimonies, for Christian piety and usefulness in the pulpit. Mr. Bixby is a New Englander by nativity, born in Vermont (Windham county), April 2, 1818. While he was yet in infancy his parents, John and Rebecca Bixby, removed to the State of New York. His father, originally from Connecticut, was a tanner by trade and afterwards followed that occupation in New York. He was not a wealthy man, so that his son, the subject of this sketch, had no college advantages as he grew up. Young Bixby, however, received a good common-school education which he subsequently greatly improved by private study. Possessed of a mind much given to serious thought, the question of the future life and of the relation of man to his Maker early engaged his attention. He became fully convinced that there must be a hereafter, beyond the darkness of the tomb, where the soul finds a new and eternal light. Revolving in his mind this great question, the Revelations of the Scriptures brought him to its true solution and he determined to henceforth square his life according to the precepts and doctrines of the Bible, and not only to endeavor to so live that he himself should see salvation when the end came, but to make himself instrumental as a Christian minister in bringing other into the way of eternal life. Uniting himself with the church, it was not a great while before he began a course of study for the ministry. Without means to attend a theological seminary, he was compelled to study at home. He took a thorough course of study, covering a period of two years, and in 1848 was licensed to preach by the Wesleyan Methodist Connection. In 1850 he was regularly ordained and began preaching in Steuben county, N.Y. Five years later he went to Alleghany county where he engaged in the ministry for a period of 18 years, consecutively. In 1873 Rev. Mr. Bixby was called to a charge in Chautauqua county where he preached about six years. From New York he then transferred the scene of his labors to Kansas, and was engaged in the ministry in that State until his removal to St. Charles county, in 1879. Meanwhile a change of views on questions of discipline and church government had caused him to transfer his connection from the Wesleyan Methodist denomination to the Congregational Church, in which he is now a minister. In 1837 Mr. Bixby was married to Miss Cornelia, a daughter of Charles and Margaret Rowe, of Connecticut. They have reared four children: Lydia A., now the wife of Rev. T. W. Spanswick of Bonne Terre, San Francois county; Nettie, now the wife of John Glassford, of this county; Fred D., who is married and a resident of Montgomery county; and Lucy D., who died at the age of 21 on the 5th of last January, having been an invalid all her life.
HENRY A. BRANDES
(Farmer, Post-office, Wentzville).
It was in 1847 that Mr. Brandes came to America. He was then a young man about 24 years of age. He had received a good education in his native country, and had learned book-binding, expecting to make that his regular calling; but he learned on his arrival that there was very little demand for such employment west of the Mississippi. On the way over the ship on which he took passage had a rough sea to encounter, and for over four months she was tossed about on the bosom of the waters at the mercy of the wind and waves; but at last she pulled in at New Orleans, and he reached the shores of the New World in safety. He came to St. Louis and resided in that city for about four years. Young Brandes then came up to St. Charles county, where he met one who to him appeared as fair as the evening air clad in the beauty of a thousand stars. His heart was touched, and from that moment forward his future seemed linked with hers, with only happiness possible in the halo of her sweet influence and gentle, lovely presence. To roughly cut a long and pretty story short, courtship followed, resulting in a happy marriage. He then went to work with a brave heart and willing hands to establish himself comfortably in life, feeling as the happy years came and went that all the world was resonant with the divine music of love. She was a Miss Mary L. Meyer, a daughter of Charles F. and Agnes Meyer, formerly of Germany. Mr. Brandes engaged in farming in St. Charles county, and resided on the Femme Osage until 1857, when he removed to his present place, which was formerly uncultivated land owned by Mr. C. Stewart, who was at that time sheriff of the county, and the country when Mr. Brandes settled here was almost a wilderness. He and his good wife have had eight children: Charles W. and Louis, who are now merchants at Moscow Mills in Lincoln countyy; Lizzette, Minnie, Agnes, Louisa, Dora and Julia. Mr. and Mrs. Brandes are members of the German Lutheran Church. During the war he served in the Home Guard from the beginning until its close.
(Farmer and Stock-raiser, Post-office, Foristell).
For nearly 15 years Mr. Burlingame has been a resident of St. Charles county. He has a good farm where he resides, of about 240 acres, and is successfully engaged in growing grain and raising stock. Throughout his residence here he has borne the reputation of being a citizen of the highest respectability, and is well spoken of by all his neighbors and acquaintances. Though not many years from the alloted age of three-score and ten, he is still quite hale and active and manages his farm affairs in person. Mr. Burlingame is a native of Ohio, born in Morgan county, January 7, 1818. He was the second son of Josiah and Sarah Burlingame, his father from Rhode Island, but his mother born and reared in Ohio. His father was a farmer and school-teacher by occupation, and died in Ohio, July 7, 1875, in the eighty-third year of his age. The mother also died there. Samuel Burlingame, the subject of this sketch, was reared in his native county, and up to the age of 17 spent his youth engaged in farming, and in attending school. He then apprenticed himself to the shoemaker's trade, which he learned and afterwards followed for about 40 years. Mr. Burlingame came to Missouri in 1864 and located in Grundy county, but shortly returned. In 1867, however, he came back to this State and this time settled in St. Charles county where he has ever since resided. In 1839 he was married to Miss Lavina B. Sprague, a daughter of Jonathan and Almira Sprague, from Maine and Massachusetts, respectively. Mr. B.'s first wife died in 1848, leaving two sons, both of whom lost their lives in the Union army during the late war. He subsequently married Miss Eliza Grimm, a daughter of John and Margaret Grimm, formerly of Ireland. By this union there are three children: Josiah, married and a resident of this county; Annie, wife of Louis Brandt, a merchant of Lincoln county, and Mary M., the wife of James M. Avis. One besides is deceased; Dora the wife of Stephen Dorse, left one child, Albert, at her death, a sprightly little fellow, who is being reared by his grand-parents, Mr. and Mrs. Burlingame.
AUGUSTIN GREEN, M.D.
(Retired Physician, Farmer and Stock-raiser, Post-office, Foristell).
Dr. Green has been a resident of North-east Missouri for the last 45 years, over 40 years of which he has resided in St. Charles county. He is well-known in this county as one of its worthy and highly respected citizens, and has had a successful experience as a farmer. He retired from the practice of medicine years ago, on account of ill-health resulting from the hardships and exposures which it required. Dr. Green has become comfortabl situated as an agriculturist, and has an excellent homestead of nearly half a section of land. He has given his attention to raising stock in a general way, as well as farming, and has found the former quite as profitable as the latter. The Doctor is a Virginian by nativity, and is closely related through both agnate and cognate descent, to some of the best families of th Old Dominion. He is a first cousin to the late Gen. R. E. Lee, whom Gen. Wolseley, commander-in-chief for actual-service of the British army, recently declared to be the greatest general this country has ever produced and one among the first generals of all history. Dr. Green was born in Frederick county, Va., October 24, 1802. He was the third in the family of 10 children of Augustin and Annie (Ball) Green, and was reared on his father's homestead in Frederick county. His father being a substantial citizen of Frederick county, and in comfortable circumstances, the son was given good school advantages. Having completed a course in the private schools of the vicinity of where he lived, he was sent to Fort Cumberland College, Md., where he studied under President Arnold D. Dake, then recently of Yale College. After quitting Fort Cumberland College, young Green began the study of medicine and in due time entered medical college at Lexington, Ky., where he took a regular course of two terms and graduated in 1825. He then located at Shawneetown, Ill. But his health failing in a short time, he went to the State of Mississippi for a more equitable climate. Somewhat restored to health after a year's residence in Mississippi, he then went to Henderson county, Ky., and engaged in merchandising. From Kentucky he returned to Virginia, and in 1834 was married to Miss Emily E., a daughter of Harrison and Sarah (Kauffman) Wood. Dr. Green continued the practice in Virginia until about 1839, when he removed to Missouri and located in Marthasville, in Warren county. Four years afterwards he settled in St. Charles county, where he has ever since resided. Dr. Green has always occupied a position of deserved consideration and influence wherever he has lived. While a resident of Henderson county, Ky., he served as sheriff of that county. At Marthasville, in Warren county, he accepted the office of justice of the peace, the duties of which he discharged with great satisfaction to the community. In this county he has held or sought no official position, preferring rather to give his entire time and attention to his private affairs and the interests of his family. He and his good wife have been blessed with but one child, who is living, Austin W., who was born in this county in 1850. He is married and resides on the homestead with his parents. Four other children died at different ages, one, Elizabeth, in 1882, at the age of 33 years, having been an invalid for nearly 20 years. The Doctor and wife are members of the M. E. Church South.
F. M. LIEMBROCK
(Merchant and Postmaster, New Melle).
Though born and reared in this country himself, Mr. Leimbrock is of German-American parentage. His father was Frederick Leimbrock, and his parents were both natives of Hanover, where they were reared and married. They came to this country in 1838, and located in St. Louis. Four years later they came to St. Charles county, and the father died here in 1854. The mother died the same year, both of cholera. They have five children, three of whom are living. Of these F. H. Leimbrock, the subject of this sketch, was born June 15, 1843. Reared in this county, he was a youth when the war broke out, but soon afterwards he nevertheless enlisted in the Union service, and was out during most of the time of the war. His youth, up to the age of 16, was spent on his father's farm, but he then engaged in clerking in a store. Subsequently he engaged in merchandising for himself, and began business in New Melle in 1870. He carries a general stock of merchandise and has a good trade. Mr. Leimbrock is also postmaster of New Melle. In 1866, August 12th, he was married to Miss Catherine Risker, a daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Risker. Mr. and Mrs. L. have three children: Alfred, Oscar and Ella.
THOMAS H. LUCKETT
(Farmer, Post-office, Foristell).
Among the early settlers of St. Charles county were the parents of the subject of the present sketch, William and Nancy Luckett, who came here from Virginia, in 1835. The father died here in 1848, and the mother in 1862. They came from Rappahannock county, Va., and Thomas H., then 23 years of age, came with them. He was born in the county of Frederick, March 18, 1812, being the second in their family of six children. Four years after the family settled here, in 1839, he was married to Miss Elizabeth C. Edwards, a daughter of Henry and Sarah Edwards, also from Virginia. After his marriage Mr. Luckett settled on a farm in the neighborhood, where he resided until 1855. He then removed to his present place, and has resided on his farm for a period, now, of nearly 30 years. He has a good place of over 200 acres, and is comfortably situated. Mr. Luckett, a citizen of this county for nearly half a century, is well known as a man whose life has been without reproach, and he is esteemed by all around him as a kind neighbor and true friend. On account of advanced years he has withdrawn from active work on the farm, his son having succeeded him in carrying on the place, but he still takes a worthy interest in the management of affairs and is of material help in the successful conduct of the farm. He and his wife have reared eight children, namely: Sarah J., wife of William H. Pritchett; Nancy L., wife of John D. Waller; Elizabeth E., wife of Zachary Leaper; William, who has charge of the farm; Henry, who was wounded in the Confederate army at Pea Ridge, and died soon afterwards, in his twenty-first year; Carr W., Susan M. and Fenton E. Henry, mentioned above, was the eldest of the children. Mr. and Mrs. Luckett are members of the M. E. Church South. Mr. L. was a nephew of Maj. Combs, of the War of 1812.
(Farmer, Post-office, Foristell).
Among the thrifty, substantial German-American farmers of Callaway township is properly classed the subject of the present sketch. Mr. Neddermeier has a good farm where he resides of nearly 400 acres, besides another place that he has rented out, and still another tract of 80 acres. He commenced for himself without any means whatever, and for a long time worked out as a farm hand. All he is worth he has made by his own industry and intelligence. He was born in Germany, October 30, 1822, and was the youngest in the family of five children of Gabriel and Henriette Neddermeier, both parents being now deceased. After receiving a common school education in Germany, he came to America in 1845 and located at St. Louis. Thence he came to St. Charles county, where he worked as a farm hand for Henry Becker for five years. In 1849 he was married to Miss Henriette Toade, a daughter of William and Lizzie Frapa, formerly of Germany. He then soon engaged in farming for himself, renting land from his father-in-law. In a few years he bought a place, on which he located and where he resided until about five years ago, when he removed to his present farm, which he had also previously purchased. Mr. Neddermeier's first wife died in 1866, and afterwards he was married to Mrs. Charlotte, a daughter of Charles and Catherine Berfield, formerly of Germany. She was the widow of Frederick Vogler, who died in 1865, leaving two children: Peter Vogler and Annie, now the wife of John Meier. Mr. Neddermeier has four children: Frederick, Emma, Gustave and Wilhelmina. One died in infancy, Frederick, and one besides in childhood, Charles. During the war he served in the Home Guard militia from first to last.
OGLESBY B. YOUNG   AND   William O. OWEN
(Farmers and Stock-raisers, Post-office, Wentzville).
Mr. Young was one of the early settlers of St. Charles county. He came here from Pittsylvania county, Virginia, as early as 1829. Mr. Young first settled near Gilmore, where he engaged in farming, but in 1837, forty-seven years ago, he settled on the place where he now resides and where he has made his home continuously ever since. He first bought 160 acres of land, but being an industrious, energetic farmer and a good manager, he became able to add to that until he increased his landed estate to about 400 acres. He made a large farm and for years was extensively engaged n raising grain and tobacco, and in raising and dealing in stock. He is now retiring from active work, having some time ago turned the management of his place over to his son-in-law, William O. Owen, the junior subject of this sketch. Mr. Young was born in Pittsylvania county, Va., April 7, 1804. His parents were Peyton and Elizabeth (Oglesby) Young, both of old and highly respected Virginia families. The father was a member of the Grand Lodge of the Masonic Order of Virginia. He was married in 1826 to Miss Jane Love, a daughter of Robert and Esther Love of Pittsylvania county. Three years afterwards he removed to Missouri with his family and settled in St. Charles county, as stated above. His wife died here November 13, 1860, leaving eight children, viz.: Milton J., Minter F., Margaret J., Oglesby, Julia A., Peyton, Martha and Elizabeth. Three others died in infancy. Mr. Young is a member of the Masonic Order.
WILLIAM O. OWEN is also from Pittsylvania county, Virginia. He was born there in 1838. Mr. Owen's parents were Anderson and Araminta Owen, his father a farmer by occupation. William O. was reared on a farm and at the outbreak of the war, in 1861, he promptly enlisted in the Southern service, becoming a member of Co. B, Fourteenth Virginia volunteers. He was under Stonewall Jackson and Gen. Longstreet, respectively, throughout the war. Mr. Owen was in most of the leading battles of the entire struggle, including those of Malvern Hill, the Penisula, Drewey's Bluff, first and second Manassas, Gettysburg, Fredericksburg, and many others. For gallantry he was several times promoted and rose from the ranks of a private soldier to the position of first-lieutenant of his company. He was wounded no less than six times, but had too much vital force to give up the ghost and finally came through the war as good as half a dozen ordinary men for any useful purposes. In 1866 he came to St. Charles county, and here he met and the following year was married to his present wife, who was a Miss Young, Mr. Young's youngest daughter, and as Mr. O. very naturally and properly thinks the fairest of all the daughters of all the fathers throughout all the country round about. Mr. and Mrs. O. have three children: Virgil A., Oglesby B., and James B. One other, William B., died in infancy.
(Farmer, Post-office, Dardenne).
Mr. Price is a worthy representative of the pioneer family of which Mr. M. Price, the subject of the following sketch, descended, and is a nephew of the former. He was born in this county August 31, 1837. Reared to a farm life, on the 30th of November, 1857, he was married to Miss Mary Doree, a daughter of Louis and Rosa Doree. Three children are the fruits of this union: Rosa, Ella and William. Mr. and Mrs. Price are members of the Catholic Church.
JOHN G. L. ROHLFING
(Farmer, Post-office, New Melle).
Mr. Rohlfing is a native of Germany, born in Hanover in 1827, and a son of Clemens A. and Margaretha (Leimbrock) Rohlfing. Both parents are now deceased, the father having died in 1857, and the mother in 1859. John G. L. Rohlfing, whose full baptismal name is John Gustav Ludwig, was reared in Hanover and learned the wagon-maker's trade under his father. In 1852 he came to America and located in St. Charles county. Here he engaged in farming, which he has ever since followed. He was without means, so that he had to rent; and he continued renting until he was able to buy a place of his own. Four years ago he bought a good farm of 246 acres, which includes what is known as the Webb farm. His principle product is wheat, of which he raises annually about 400 bushels. He also raises considerable corn, however, and feeds hogs for the market. He has been quite successful, as the above facts show. In 1852 Mr. Rohlfing was married to Miss Carrie Trisir, formerly of Prussia. Of this union one child was reared, a daughter, Minnie, who mother, however, died in 1857. Mr. Rohlfing's present wife was a Miss Clara Hensick, also formerly of Prussia. They have seven children: Lizzie, Amelia, Mary, John, Alvira, Caroline and Ada. One is deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Rohlfing are members of the Evangelical Church. Minnie is the wife of Henry Grear, of St. Charles; Lizzie is the wife of Robert Plagmeier, of this county; Amelia is married to Herman Sanford, of St. Charles; and Mary is the wife of Henry Holscher, also of this county.
Transcribed June 2003 by Deborah Heimann -- Co-ordinator for the St. Charles County, Missouri USGenWeb pages.