Biographies S - MoGenWeb

Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri
Biographies of Scott County, 1888


Martin Scherer

Rev. Martin Scherer, of New Hamburg, Scott Co., Mo., was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1830. He was reared and educated in his native State, and in 1854 came to America as a Catholic missionary. He was first located at La Porte, Ind., and remained nine years, when he came to New Hamburg, Mo. His church membership at the latter place now numbers 200 or more. He also has charge of the schools of his district, two at New Hamburg containing about one hundred pupils, one in Scherer's settlement, and Cheney's school. The last two contain about twenty or thirty pupils each. Both the church and the schools are in a prosperous condition. The church building was destroyed by fire in 1863, but in 1866 and 1867 was replaced by a magnificent stone structure, costing about $40,000. Father Scherer is an earnest, active Christian worker, and his services to the people of New Hamburg and vicinity, are invaluable.

John L. Shumate

John L. Shumate, M.D., was born in Manchester, Mo., September 3, 1832 and is a son of Rev. Walker D. and Sarah (Williams) Shumate, both natives of Virginia. The paternal grandfather came from Wales, and settled in Virginia, where he resided until his death, at the age of ninety-eight years. The maternal grandfather immigrated to the United Stated from England. Rev. Walker D. Shumate came to Missouri in 1830, and located in St. Louis County, where he afterward resided. He was one of the most popular Methodist ministers in this section of the country. He died in 1872. His wife died in 1837. They were the parents of eight children. Those living are Dr. John L., Mrs. Susan Butler, Charles (of Troy, MO.), Mrs. Mollie Chapman (of St. Louis) and James. The subject of this sketch remained with his father, attending school, until he was twenty-one years of age. However, he began the study of medicine when but nineteen years of age, and in the winter of 1855 graduated in the medical department of the St. Louis University. The next fall he came to Sikeston, and began practicing his profession, and is now the oldest resident physician of this section of Missouri. He had borne well with the changeable climate and swamps, being yet a well- preserved man. At the time of his location at Sikeston, Dr. Brown, who afterward became lieutenant-governor of Missouri, was the only physician near there. As the country became more thickly settled Dr. Shumate's practice increased, and soon extended many miles around Sikeston. In 1866 he was united in marriage with Lucinda Magee, a native of Missouri. To them were born five children: Sallie, Mollie, Henrietta, Gracie A. and Walker A. The doctor is a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His wife, who died in 1876, was also a devoted member of the same church Dr. Shumate has never been an aspirant for office, but has attended strictly to his profession, and by so doing has won many warm friends, and has accumulated enough property to spend his last days in ease and comfort.

Needham Sikes

Needham Sikes, a prominent merchant of Sikeston, was born there on June 22, 1851, and is a son of John and Catherine (Stallcup) Sikes. John Sikes made an early settlement in New Madrid county, where he remained a short time and removed to the present site of Sikeston, the town receiving its name in honor of him. He was a prominent merchant and a good citizen, devoted to his family and business, but taking no interest in political affairs. At the time of his death he owned considerable real estate; he was permitted to spend the last part of his life in ease and comfort. He was killed in 1867 by a man by the name of Maulsby, and lived but a few days after he was shot. His widow, who is a native of Scott County, is still living in Sikeston. Their union was blessed with four children, only one of whom, Needham, survives; those deceased are James, Mary A., and an infant unnamed. The subject of this sketch has always resided in his native town, his education, which was begun there, being finished at Caledonia and Arcadia colleges. Upon leaving school he turned his attention to farming, which occupation he very successfully followed until 1881, when he engaged in his present business, at which he has also been successful. He carries a large assortment of hardware, groceries, saddlery, queensware and tinware, also machinery of all kinds. Besides his property in Sikeston he owns some valuable farming land in Scott County. Mr. Sikes was married in October 1879, to Miss Sallie P. Wyatt, of Kentucky, by whom he has had one child, Ethel B. Sikes. Mr. and Mrs. Sikes are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is also a member of the Masonic fraternity.

Ward L. Smith

Capt. Ward L. Smith, a prominent citizen of Scott County, Mo., was born in Syracuse, N.Y., in 1826. He is a son of Noah and Catheline (Vrooman) Smith, natives of the Mohawk Valley. Catheline Vrooman's ancestors came to America from Holland in the seventeenth century. Noah Smith's father, Oziel Smith, settled Syracuse, N.Y., when the place was called Salt Point, and remained there until his death. Several of his sons were in the War of 1812, and two of them, George and Oziel, were colonels. The latter was captured by the Indians from whom he escaped, and afterward located at Buffalo, where he died. George died in Rochester, N.Y. in which city two of his sons are now practicing law. Noah, the father of the subject of this sketch, was a politician and traveled extensively. He died in Phoenix, near Syracuse. His wife died in Oran, at the home of her son, Ward L. He had been married previous to his marriage with Catheline Vrooman, and by both wives reared twelve children - six girls and six boys - of whom two are living, Ward L. and Edwin R., now living in Syracuse, N.Y. One son, Oziel H., was in the Rebellion under McClellan. He died in Diehlstadt, Scott County, Mo., in 1879. His widow now resides in Michigan. When twelve years of age Ward L. ran away from home and went to sea. He spent his thirteenth birthday, on the bark "Tuscaloosa" a whaling vessel, just off the coast of Cape Horn. Soon after the crew was cast away at the peninsula of St. Joseph, Patagonia, where they were captured by the Patagonia Indians and held nineteen months, when they were rescued by the Spanish and taken to Rio Negro. There the Captain got a boat and took the crew to Rio Janeiro, where they were sent by the council to their respective homes. Mr. Smith landed at Mobile, and went to sea again, first as sailor, then as boatswain, second mate, chief mate, and in 1848 he became captain, after which he helped to build two vessels in Mobile, Ala., and as captain of the last one built, the "Sarah E. Meagler", crossed the Atlantic Ocean in the latter part of 1854 to Chesburgh, France. During the Crimean War, Capt. Smith took service as a transport in the French Government service, and was sent to Algiers, Africa and from there to Constantinople and the Black Sea; was in the French service from late in 1854 to 1856, the most of the time in the Black Sea at Sepastpol, Karnish, Balaklava, Sulina, etc. After his discharge from the French Government, he went up the river Danube and his was the first American vessel that ever entered that river. He hoisted the first American flag that was ever seen at Galatz and Ibrial. Capt. Smith chartered his vessel to load with wheat at Galatz for Marseilles, France, to which place he took his cargo, and owing to some difficulty with the French Government, his vessel was seized and he was kept at Marseilles until 1858, when he returned to Mobile and went to sea again until 1861. Being ordered to leave the Confederacy he did so and came up the river to Memphis, Tenn., where he was put in prison. On being released he went to Cairo, Ill, where he worked for the Government as a master mechanic. In 1868 he removed his family to a farm in Mississippi County, Mo., but the next year came to Scott County and located at Sylvania, now Oran. The next year he purchased a saw mill at Caney Creek, which he has since operated very successfully. He owns about 1,000 acres of land, 200 of which are cleared, the rest being covered with fine timber. In 1860 he was united in marriage with Miss Ann W. Williams, a native of Clay, N.Y. She has a brother in St. Louis and two brothers who are editors of prominent papers in New York. She died on September 11, 1887, aged fifty-four years. They had no children, but reared an adopted boy William W., who died in 1883. Mr. Smith's niece, Carrie Murray, resided with him. Mr. Smith is a Universalist. He and his wife were both members of prominent Universalist families. Mrs. Smith was instrumental in organizing the Universalist Church at Morley, in which a memorial window is dedicated to her. Mr. Smith contributed the material of which the church is built. He has been a member of the A.F. & A.M. since 1848.

J.S. Sparks

Dr. J.S. Sparks, of Blodgett, Mo., was born in Jefferson County, Tenn., October 10, 1834. He is a son of William G. and Nazey (Daffron) Sparks, natives of North Carolina and Tennessee, respectively. William G. Sparks emigrated from the "Old North State" to Tennessee, thence to Georgia, where he lived until his death in 1857. He was a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church. His wife died in 1887. They had ten children, four living: Dr. J.S., Susan J., William G. and Joseph. The subject of this sketch was reared to farm life, chiefly in Georgia. He made farming, his sole occupation until 1855, when he began studying medicine. He began the practice of his profession in Georgia, but removed to Scott County, Mo., in1857. Locating at Richwoods, he practiced medicine about three years, when he purchased a farm about three miles below Blodgett, and engaged in farming in connection with his practice. When the war broke out he removed to Santa Fe, Ill., and resumed the practice of his profession, but three years later removed back to Scott County. In 1882 he graduated from the Medical University of Tennessee at Nashville, soon after which he located at Blodgett. He has been married four times; first, on March 6, 1859, to Sarah C. Bennefield, by whom he has three children: Dr. Richard A., Henrietta and Louisa C. He was married the second time on October 18, 1868 and the third time on October 6, 1876. On August 6, 1884, he was united in marriage with Bettie Goode, by whom he has one child, Frederick D. The Doctor is a Mason, and a member of the I.O.O.F.

David Spradlin

David Spradlin, a farmer and fruit grower of Scott County, Mo., was born in Smith County, Tenn., and is a son of Obadiah and Elizabeth (Driver) Spradlin. The Spradlin and Driver families were originally from North and South Carolina, respectively. Obadiah Spradlin died in Smithland in July 1838, leaving four children: David, Redick, Mary and Samuel, all now deceased except David, the eldest. The last named was born in 1828, and was but ten years old when his father died, after which he lived with his mother until he reached his majority, when she resided with him until her death. She died at his present home in 1874, aged sixty-nine years. David Spradlin came to Missouri in 1850, and located in Reynolds County, but the same year removed to Scott County and reside until 1859, when he returned to Reynolds County. He served in the Federal army, first as a member of the State Militia, but in March of 1864 enlisted in the Fiftieth Regiment of Missouri Infantry, and served until he was discharged at St. Louis on July 5, 1865. Upon his return home he located in Scott County and engaged in farming and three years later located on the land on which he now resides. In 1857 he was united in marriage with Miriam A., a daughter of Richmond and Mary (Rasbery) Sanders, natives of Tennessee, who came to Missouri about 1844. Mr. Sanders died in Scott County in 1882, and his widow is now residing with her children. She is the mother of nine children, seven of whom are living, viz: Miriam A., Church, Marthin, Willie S., Allen, John, Filmore, Mary R. (Mrs. Gibbs). Polk died in the Union army, at Cape Girardeau, in August 1861. Miriam A. was born in Tennessee in 1837. To Mr. and Mrs. Spradlin have been born the following children: Susan I., (now the wife of G. Miller), Mary E. (wife of Andy C. Miller), William G. (married December 14, 1884, the daughter of R.G. Parks, and lives on the home place and is the father of one child), Obadiah R. (who died in 1862), Jesse M. (at home), Anna, David, Eliza, Izonia, Addie, Clara, Harrison K. and Julia. The parents are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Mr. Spradlin is a member of the A.F. & A.M., of the G.A.R. and of the Wheel.

Mark H. Stallcup

Mark H. Stallcup, of the firm of Stallcup & Co., grain merchants, of Sikeston, Mo., was born in New Madrid County, Mo., January 27, 1854, and is a son of James and Catherine (Sikes) Stallcup, natives of Scott and New Madrid Counties, Mo., respectively. James Stallcup was the son of Mark H. Stallcup, Sr. a pioneer of Southeast Missouri, who settled on the line between Scott and New Madrid Counties. He owned considerable real estate and was engaged in the merchandise business for a number of years. James Stallcup engaged in farming during his life. He owned several thousand acres of land and a great many slaves. He was one of New Madrid County's best and most energetic citizens. His death occurred in 1861 and his wife's in 1883. They were the parents of four children: Mollie (Mrs. J.H. Long), Mark H., Adelia and Emma. The subject of this sketch was reared on his father's farm, and his education, which was begun in the schools of Sikeston, was finished in a three-years' course at Arcadia College. The company of which he is now a member is extensively engaged in selling grain and farm implements, and has a warehouse that holds between 15,000 and 20,000 bushels of grain. Mr. Stallcup is also engaged in farming and raising stock. He owns about 3,000 acres of land, with about 1,800 acres under cultivation. In March, 1876, he was united in marriage with Sue A. Gragory, a native of Tennessee, by whom he has two children: James A. and Mark L. Mrs. Stallcup is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.

Parham Stone

Parham Stone, a well-to-do farmer of Kelso Township, Scott Co., Mo., was born in Hickman County, Ky., in 1828. He is the son of Gray and Jemima (Kendell) Stone, natives of North Carolina, who were reared and married in their native State. They immigrated to Henry County, Tenn., and remained until January, 1828, when they removed to Hickman County, Ky., where they afterward resided and reared a large family of children, as follows: Arrixa, Nancy, John A., Isaac, Amon, Arrentia, Sarah, Elizabeth, Parham, William, James G. and Mary J. Only three of the family are living. The first one that died was the father. He died in 1850, aged sixty-four years, and his wife in January 1860, aged sixty-two years. Nancy is the wife of William H. Ramer, and resides in Kentucky. James G. lives in Texas. Parham remained with his parents until he was twenty-one years of age, when he began work for himself. At the death of his father, he returned home and took care of his mother and younger sisters until the death of the mother. In February, 1860, he married Elizabeth Walker, a native of Warren County, Ky., born in 1837. She is a daughter of Robert and Nancy (Allen) Walker, natives of Kentucky, born about 1809 and 1818, respectively. They came to Missouri in 1843 and located in Scott County. Ten years later Mr. Walker died on the Platte River while on his way to California. His widow resides near the subject of this sketch, with one of her daughters. She is the mother of four children: James Walker, living in Benton; Elizabeth, Susan, widow of Abner Barnes, who died July 26, 1887, and Mary, deceased. Parham Stone located in Mississippi County, Mo., in 1854, and removed to Scott County in 1862 and located near Benton. He removed to his present farm in 1874. He has served as justice of the peace and constable of his township In religious belief, he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. They have had seven children: Nancy E. (Mrs. Richard Finley), Mary F. (deceased), Robert G., James William, Susan A., Parham A. and George A. Mr. Sone is a member of the Masonic fraternity and the Wheel.

William H. Stubblefield

William H. Stubblefield, a substantial farmer of Scott County, Mo., was born in Johnson County, Ill., March 9, 1840. He is a son of Beverly and Isabella (Henson) Stubblefield, natives of Tennessee and Virginia, respectively. The paternal grandparents, Beverly Stubblefield and wife, were natives of Virginia, who immigrated to Tennessee, and from thence to Kentucky, where they died. Beverly Stubblefield, the father of our subject, emigrated from Kentucky to Illinois, but remained only a few years and returned to Kentucky. In 1854 he brought his family to Scott County, Mo., making the trip with wagons and ox-teams, and made a settlement near Price's Landing. His death occurred in 1855. His widow is now living in Kentucky. They had nine children, six of whom are living: John, Ben, Clay, Mary (Mrs. Richard Stone), Hulda (Mrs. Thomas Giles), and William H. Being but fifteen years of age when his father died, William H. remained with his mother two years longer, when he began work for himself as a farm laborer. When he was twenty years of age, he rented a farm, which he cultivated until he was married, in 1862, to Mary Matthews, when he removed to a farm belonging to the latter near Commerce, Mo. In March 1868, he removed his family to Richland Township, Scott County. After renting land for three years, he purchased the farm on which he now resides. It consists of 520 acres of land, mostly under cultivation, with good improvements. To him and wife have been born two children: William and John B. Mr. Stubblefield is a member of the I.O.O.F. and of the A.O.U.W. Politically, he is a Democrat.