Submitted by #-17-
- Slaves from "Marriages St. Mary's Church,
1821-1885, Perry Co., MO, pub. by Rev. Carl Callier, C.M., 1989,
St. Mary's Seminary, Perryville, MO 63775. Reproduced with
permission of Louis Derbes, C. M., Vincentian Archives, Dec.
2000, Patricia Bishop Obrist.
- Paul and Ursula (servants of Robert
BROWN) m. 17 Jul 1825. p. 12
- Charles (servant of the Bishop) and
Aminta (working at the Seminary)
m. 21 Mar 1829 p. 14.
- Henry (servant of theBishop) and
Mary, (working at the Seminary)
m. 21 Mar 1829 p.14.
- Ignatius (servant at the Seminary) and
Serena (Servant at Sem.) m. 21 Mar 1829, p. 14
- Joseph and Mary (both servants at the
Seminary) m. 8 Jan 1831, p. 15
- John (servant of James TUCKER) and
Julia Anne (servant of John TUCKER)
m. 23 Oct 1831, p. 16
- Louis, age 23, and Mary, age 18, (both
servants of Joseph TUCKER)
m. 21 Jan 1832, p. 16
- James (servant of Louis CISSELL)
and Henrietta (servant of Mary MANNING)
m. 19 May 1832, p. 17
- Josias (servant of Isidore MOORE) and
Sara (Servant of Robert GREENWELL)
m. 29 Sep 1833, p. 18
- Warren and Charity (both servants of
Joseph CISSELL) M. 7 Jan 1834, p. 19
- Ignatius (servant of Walter Wilkinson)
and Mary Pallade (servant of
John KNOTT from Ste. Genevieve) m. 21 Nov.
1834, p. 19
- Thomas (servant of John C. VALLE) age,
28 and Emily (servant of
Francis GREGOIRE) age 17, m. 26 May 1838, p.
- George (servant of Mr. WILKINSON )
and Joann (servant of Mr. BURNS)
m. 7 Jan 1840, p. 25
- Calvin (servant of Joseph TUCKER) and
Emilia (servant of Rosemende PRATT)
m. 4 Jan 1840, p. 25
- Benjamin, servant of Joseph TUCKER,
married 4 Jan. 1840 Elene, servant of
Mr. Berget. p. 25, # 274.
- Clement, servant of St. Mary's Seminary,
married 16 May 1840 Louisa, servant
of St. Mary's Seminary. (Wilkinson). p. 25, # 277.
- Charles, servant of Mr. FIELD,
married 17 May 1840 servant of Mrs. Emily
N. Wilkinson. p. 25, # 278.
- Ison, servant of Joshua ABERNATHY
non-Catholic, m. 16 June 1840 Catherine,
servant of Frederick B. MARA. p. 25, # 280.
- Manuel, slave of William JAMES, 23
years old, m. 28 Aug. 1842 Luise, slave
of James BURQUET, 15 years old. p. 28, # 326.
- Isaac, servant of Leo DeLASSUS, m. 13
Oct. 1842 Henrica, Servant of Daniel
ABERNATHY, p. 28, # 330.
- Francis, servant of Leo DeLASSUS, m.
12 Nov. 1842 Helen, servant of Peter F. TUCKER. p.
28, # 333. [maybe Peter T. TUCKER (?)]
- Paul, Catholic slave of Joseph PRATTE,
21 years, m.17 Feb.1844, Elizabeth, non-Catholic, slave
of Joseph TUCKER, 16 years. p. 30, # 371.
- :Henry, Servant of Francis VALLE, 23
years old., m. 13 July 1844, Genevieve, Servant of Joseph
PRATTE. p. 31, #381.
- Simon, slave of Joseph DUVALL,
non-Catholic, 22 yeard, m. 11 May 1845, Diann, slave of
James HEREL, Catholic, 23 years old. p. 32, #401.
- John, slave of Thomas RINEY, 26 years
old, m. 7 June 1845,Mary Ann, slave of John LOGAN,
18 years old., p. 32, # 407.
- James, servant of F. H. WILKINSON, m.
10 Aug. 1845, Mary, servant of Walter BROWN. p.
33, # 416.
- James, both servants ofWalter
WILKINSON, 21 yr. m. 14 Feb. 1846, Margaret, 20 years
old. p. 33, #431.
- Francis,both slaves at Aquila HAGAN,
m. 4 June 1846, Maria. p. 35, #451.
- Eleck, slave of Henry L. CALDWELL, m.
8 Aug. 1846, Rachel, slave of Henry L. McATEE. p.
- Josiah, both slaves of Mr. BURGET, m.
27 May 1847, Lucinda. p. 36, #471.
- William, servant of James McCAULY, m.
3 July 1847, Melinda, servant of Sarah MERDAY. p.
- Michael, slave of John BURGETT, m. 7
Aug. 1847, Caroline, slave of B. W. PRATTE. p. 36,
- Horace, both slaves of John LOGAN, m.
11 June 1848, Louisa. p. 37, # 497.
- Bazel, both slaves of Joseph CISSEL,
m. 22 July 1848, Mary Elizabeth. p. 37, # 499.
- Henry, both servants of Sabrina RICE,
m. 9 Oct. 1848, Frances, p. 38, # 505.
- Charles, slave of Widow WILKENSON, m.
24 March 1849, Lucy, slave of John BURGETT. p. 39,
- Alexander, slave of Henry BOLLINGER,
33 yrs., m. 30 June 1849, Helen, slave of Peter
TUCKER, 23 years old. p. 39, # 537.
- John, slave of Dr. Reuben SHELBY,
(Catholic), m. 13 Oct. 1849, Lucinda, slave of Mr.
Jacob CONRADS (non-Catholic). p. 40, # 548.
- Masiet, slave of John BURGERT, m. 4
July 1852, Marriane, slave of Widow LOGAN. p. 44,
- Harrison Joseph, servant of Nellis(?)
CHARLES, m. 19 Nov. 1852, Jane, servant of John
LOGAN. p. 44, # 530.
- James, servant of James MANNING, m. 24
Sept. 1853, Elizabeth, servant of Simon DUVALL. p.
- William, servant of Bede H. LAYTON, m.
26 Nov. 1853, Elizabeth, handmaid of David H.
ANDERSON. p. 46, # 668.
- Henry, servant of Louis CISSELL, m.
Margaret, servant of James MATTINGLY. P. 47, # 686.
- William, servant of Henry CALDWELL, m.
22 July 1854, Lucinda, servant of A. M. COBB. p.
- Peter, servant of Jos. V. BEAUVAIS, m.
26 Jan. 1856, Maria, servant of John BROWN. p. 50,
- ***John RICE, negro, m. 29 Nov. 1856,
Cor--MATTINGLY, negro. NB. not slaves! p. 51, #
- Alec, both servants of Henry CALDWELL,
m. 16 Feb. 1859, Minerva. p. 54, #851.
- Samuel, both servants of Robert C.
WATERS, m. 1 June 1861, Henrietta. p. 58, # 930.
- Henry CISSELL, (colored) servant of
Nerius CISSELL, m. 31 Jan. 1863, Louisa SHELBY,
(colored) servant of Dr. SHELBY. p. 61, # 984.
- Robert Oliver PHILIPS, (colored), servant
of Robert PHILIPS, m. 14 Feb. 1863 , Emily WAMMET,
servant of Richard WAMMET. p. 61, # 988.
- Charles COBBS, servant, m. 19 Oct. 1863,
Catherine VALLE, servant. #
- *** NB. A few persons included who were not
- Some considerations about marriages of servants and
- See also: "Church & Slave in Perry Co., MO
1818-1865," by Poole & Slawson. "The right to a lawful and valid
marriage. Unlike civil law in the U.S., church law recognized
the slave'scapacity to enter a valid, legitimate, and stable
union...." ( p. 56 ) The authors point out that Catholic slave
owners in Perry Co. in general
respected this right.
Just wanted to remind people that although most churches had
slaves as members and performed marriages between slaves, these
marriages were not legal. It was illegal for slaves to be
married in Missouri. These marriages did not stop slave owners
splitting up a married couple by selling either partner away
from the area. That happened here in Perry County at least
once. Billie Mills firstname.lastname@example.org
Submitted by #-17-
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive]
visitor to this site since
March 27, 2003