The Kerby Burying Ground
The Ervin Burying Ground
Section 4-5, Township 47, Range 33W
About a quarter of a mile from Holmes Street on what is now Red Bridge Road, the highway passes over what was once a part of the cemeteries or burying grounds on the farms of "Dick" Kerby and John H. Ervin. Only a fence separated these early burying grounds. Like so many of the others, all traces of these cemeteries have disappeared.
THE KERBY BURYING GROUND
The Burying Ground on the Kerby Farm was the largest, being in use as early as 1835. There were probably as many as 75 to 100 graves in the rural cemetery, which included that part of the highway which crosses that second of the farm on which this cemetery was located, and back from the highway on the south as far as 100 feet or more. Only a small number of the bodies and stones were ever removed. What has become of those stones which once marked the spot where many of the early pioneers of that community were buried, is not known. Near the site of this burying ground stands a Santa Fe Trail marker.
Among those whose ashes were removed from this community cemetery, were 10 of the Kerby family which were taken to the little cemetery at New Santa Fe, Missouri. Only four of this family had stones at their graves, and these four stones were moved and placed in the "Little Santa Fe" church cemetery, at New Santa Fe, Missouri. The bodies of "Dick" Kerby, owner of the farm, and that of his wife, were placed, at the time of their death, in a vault on the top of the ground and when their bodies were moved, no stone was placed at their graves in the Santa Fe Cemetery. Col. Richard Kerby, was born in Greene county, Kentucky, June 16, 1820; his wife, Mary J. Johnston of Kentucky, d: Sept. 29, 1870.
Among others who were buried on this farm were 22 members of the Stewart family, one of the pioneer families of the community. Archie Stewart owned a large farm just south of the little town of New Santa Fe.
?? Morton, son in law of "Billy" Gray
Mrs. ?? Morton, daughter of "Uncle Billy" and "Aunt Betsy" Gray, d: 1882
America Ann Wilson, first wife of I. J. Holloway
Josh Stewart (Steward), d: Dec. 1891; married Leanna Kerr, daughter of Caleb Kerr, Independenece, Missouri
Samuel Bartlett, b: July 18, 1809
Mahala Bartlett, wife of Samuel Bartlett, b: March 31, 1811
Dates sent by granddaughter of Samuel and Mahala Bartlett, Mrs. S. J. Wyatt, Girard, Kansas
THE ERVIN BURYING GROUND
This family burying ground was separated from the one onthe Kerby farm by a fence, and was on the farm owned by John H. Ervin. Among those inerred on this farm were:
The first wife of J. H. Ervin, d: 1850
Bill Ervin, son of J. H. Ervin and first wife
Thomas B. Rippeto, b: April 8, 1795, d: May 20, 1850
Ann McW. Nielson, wife of Thomas B. Rippeto, b: Sept. 4, 1806, d: Jan. 3, 1840; age: 33 years, 3 months, 29 days (The stones for Mr. and Mrs. Rippeto were moved to Linwood, Kansas, west of Watts' Mill)
??? Riggs, son of Mr. Riggs, who built a house at the Trading Post on the Santa Fe Trail, which was only a short distance from these cemeteries. The father went West in 1849. The son's grave is by the side of the highway and is unmarked.
Thomas B. Rippeto and Ann McW. Nielson were married May 17, 1825
N. B. - The above information concerning the Kerby and the Ervin Burying Grounds was furnished by Mrs. Max A. Christopher and by Mrs. Henry Kapmeyer, Mr. Urila Holmes and Mr. Edward Watts, residents of that community for many years; also Mrs. S. J. Hamilton (Nannie Kerr) of Harrisonville, Missouri
This page was last updated August 19, 2006.