The Confederate Soldiers' Cemetery
Sometimes called the Self Cemetery
SE Corner 71st Street and Troost Avenue
The Federal Government cared for the dead Union soldiers in the Civil war but it was left to the family and friends to care for the Confederate dead. During the war the dead were generally buried near where they fell. Several years after the war it was decided to gather together as many as possible of the Confederate soldiers buried in and near Kansas City, and place them in an acre of ground at 71st Street and Troost Avenue. Captain Napoleon Davis was one of the leaders in this undertaking. Many friends and relatives attended the services held at the time these soldiers were reburied. The soldiers rested there until 1892 or 1893 when they were removed to Forest Hill Cemetery across the street.
In 1902 the Kansas City Missouri Chapter 149, United Daughters of the Confederacy, erected a monument "To the Brave Southern Soldiers Who Fell in the Battle of Westport, October 23, 1864."
The monument stands almost upon the exact spot where General Jo Shelby and his soldiers slept the night before the Battle of Westport. Jo Shelby's grave is close to the base of the monument. 80 unknown soldiers, who were killed in the Battle of Westport, were buried together upon the field. The monument wad dedicated May 30, 1902.
It is known that the following were buried at 71st and Troost Avenue:
Officer Jones from Arkansas
In the quit-claim deed recorded in connection with the sale of the burying ground at 71st Street and Troost Avenue the name mentioned is the Bryam Ford Cemetery Association.
This page was last updated August 19, 2006.