St. Clair County MO Homepage              Henry County MO Homepage

 

St. Clair County Missouri Biographies

Biography Index

 

SECTION H

 

A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   J   K   L 

M   N   O   P   R   S   T   U   V   W   Y

HAMBLIN, C. M.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1084
--- DR. C. M. HAMBLIN was born in Franklin County, Virginia, March 4, 1824. His father, Thomas Hamblin, was a native of Giles County, Virginia, and his grandfather, M. Hamblin, came with his wife from England. The former died in Kentucky, in 1847, his widow surviving until 1858. They had seven children. C. M. grew up on a farm, and by study at home and attending the common schools, obtained a good education. The family moved to Kentucky in 1333. In 1856, he came to Missouri and settled in Vernon County, entering 900 acres of land, which he commenced to improve. When the war broke out he joined the Fifteenth Missouri Cavalry, was appointed hospital steward, and acted as assistant surgeon with Surgeon Maynard. He had studied medicine previous to entering the army, and he was necessarily obliged to prescribe for the sick. Having the advice of the surgeon, and assisting in many surgical operations, it proved a good school, of which he at once took advantage. At the close of the war he returned to Kentucky, where he remained until 1872, then came to Osceola, and engaged in the practice of medicine. He has had charge of the sick at the poor farm for five years by appointment, and is the present county physician. Dr. H. married Miss Lucinda Sutherland in 1846. She was the daughter of David Sutherland, of Kentucky, originally from Scotland. They have five children living: John Robert, Daniel, Mollie, Callahan and Minnis. The doctor is a Republican. He has belonged to the Christian Church for thirty years, and he is a Mason. John R. Hamblin, of the firm of Hamblin Brothers, proprietors of livery and feed stable, is a son of Dr. C. M. Hamblin, and was born in 1850, in Logan County, Kentucky. He moved to Missouri with his father, and settled in Vernon County in 1856, and in 1861, he went to Humansville. In 1872, he came to Osceola, from Kentucky, and has here been engaged in business of various kinds, operating an engine for some three years. In 1878, he was one of a company who took contracts for carrying the United States mails to different points, one route being to Appleton City, &c. In 1880, he bought with his brother the livery barn, where he is also doing a large feed business. Mr. Hamblin married Miss Martha Smith, in 1872. She is the daughter of Edward Smith, of Logan County, Kentucky. They have two children, Robert and Claudius. Politically he is a Republican. He belongs to the Christian Church, and is also a member of the I. O. O. F. and A. O. U. W. fraternities. He is one of the city councilmen.

HAND, Henry F.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1214
--- HENRY F. HAND, section 27, was born in Chittenden County, Vermont, May 27, 1845, being a son of Francis and T. (Smith) Hand, the former originally from England and the latter from Vermont. Henry received his education in the Brandon Seminary of Rutland County. He grew up on a farm and has principally followed that occupation during life. In the spring of 1865 he moved to Calhoun County, Michigan, and in 1866 to Jackson County, of the same state. In 1868 he accepted a position as station agent at Adrian, Michigan., for the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad, which he held for one year. In 1870 he came to St. Clair County, Missouri, and has resided here since, and during this period he has been the leading sheep dealer and raiser in the county. His farm contains 640 acres, and this is mostly utilized in the raising of sheep and other stock. He has on an average from 1,000 to 1,600 head, and at other times has had between 1,900 and 2,000. Mr. Hand was married February 7, 1875 to Miss Charlotte Laskin, a native of Michigan. They have four children: Emma, Freddie, Mable and Frank.

HARE, Edward A.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1192
--- EDWARD A. HARE was born in Hampshire County, West Virginia, February 28, 1845, and was the son of Matthew and Martha (Ruckman) Hare, of the same county, the former born March 9, 1800, and the latter October 28, 1809. They were married February 24, 1842, and of the original family of six sons and one daughter three sons and the daughter only survive. In 1871 Mr. Hare, Sr., leaving his native state, emigrated to St. Clair County, Missouri, settling In this township. He and his sons, E. A. and Paran, purchased 287 acres and located upon it the same year. This land was divided in 1876, Edward retaining 165 acres on section 25, to which in 1880 he added twenty-nine acres. To his share of 122 acres Paran has added sixteen acres. These constitute excellent farms and are well improved. In November, 1880, Matthew Hare died, after a short illness, in his eighty-first year. His widow still resides with her son, Edward. Mr. H. was a church member for over half a century, and Mrs. Hare and her two sons are also connected with the Christian Church. Paran Hare belongs to the A. F. & A. M. fraternity. (CC Note: Proper and more common spelling of this surname is HEARE.)

HARPER, George W.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1193
--- GEORGE W. HARPER was born in Crawford County, Ohio, March 9, 1836, his father being Samuel J. Harper, born in 1805 in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania. He lived there until 1820, and then removed to Crawford County, Ohio, going thence to Lee County, Iowa, in 1840. After living there until 1875 he came with his son George W. to Doyal Township, St. Clair County, Missouri, where he now resides. In 1872 the subject of this sketch was married to Miss Arlena Morgan, of Polk County, Missouri, and by this union there were born three children, Edgar, Olive E. and Elmer M., making a most interesting and attractive family. In 1857 Mr. Harper went to California and remained there, occupied in mining, for some time, during which period he was quite successful, and he is now recognized as being one of the solid financial men of this county. He owns 150 acres of land on Coon Creek, and his beautiful residence is situated on section 36, of this township. He has never taken an active part in politics, preferring the quiet of home life to the turmoil of strife attendant upon a life of publicity.

HARPER, Harvey G.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1160
--- HARVEY G. HARPER was born January 28, 1822, in East Tennessee, being the son of John M. and Nancy (Williams) Harper, who were married in 1818. The former a farmer and blacksmith by occupation, was born February 28, 1794, in Christian County, Kentucky, and the latter, originally from Tennessee, was born February 10, 1798. Of a family of seven sons and two daughters, five sons and one daughter grew to years of maturity. Leaving Tennessee In 1827, they moved westward, locating in Cooper County, from whence after two years, they went to Pike County. Here the senior Harper purchased 160 acres of land, farmed it for seven years, when selling it in 1835, he settled in Benton County, but bought land just over the line in St. Clair County. His death occurred April 15, 1839. his widow surviving until the 30th of March, 1869, when she also departed this life. The subject of this sketch first started in life for himself, when eighteen years old, as a farm laborer. December 4, 1840, he married Miss Hannah Gover, of St. Clair County, and they had four daughters: Martha A., born October 26, 1841, died in 1858; Nancy D., born December 4, 1845, (wife of A. McKinzie, of this county); Sarah K., born December 31, 1852, (now Mrs. James Childs, of this county), and Mary L., born December 21, 1858, died in October, 1881. Mrs. Harper's death occurred in September 1875. Mr. H. was again married December 12, 1877, to Miss Nancy G. Walker, of Hickory County. They have had two children: Bertha M., born January 1, 1878, and Laura G., born April 16, 1881, died April 16, 1882. Mr. H. settled upon his present farm in 1842. and has resided in the county since that time. He devotes much time and attention to stock raising. He is a member of the Primitive Baptist Church, organized in 1836. In politics he is a Greenbacker.

HARRISON, Charles J.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1085
--- CHARLES J. HARRISON, attorney at law, was born in Monroe County, Missouri, January 1, 1850. His father, Francis M. Harrison, was born in Kentucky and came with his father, Charles Harrison, to Missouri about the year 1830. The mother was also born in Kentucky, her maiden name being Nancy Mildred Collins. The subject of this sketch was the second of seven children, and his early years were passed upon a farm. he received such education as the public schools afforded until at the age of nineteen, when he entered the Shelbyville Academy, where he remained one year. The following year he entered the University at Lexington, Kentucky, for a thorough course, but owing to reverses in his father's fortune he was compelled to abandon that idea and return home before the end of the first year. In 1871 he came to St. Clair County, Missouri, and engaged in the real estate business at Appleton City. where he remained until the fall of 1872. Then entering the office of Burdette & Smith, at Osceola, he began the study of law. By hard study, and aided by the firm of Burdett & Smith, he was enabled at the September term, 1873, of the St. Clair County Circuit Court, to pass a satisfactory examination and be admitted to the bar. On being admitted to the bar he was taken in as a partner by the firm, under whom he read, the firm name being Burdett, Smith & Harrison. In 1874 the senior member of the firm received the appointment of commissioner of the general land office at Washington, District of Columbia, and removed to that city. Messrs. Smith & Harrison continued in business in Osceola until 1875, when they removed to Sedalia, Missouri, where Mr. H. lived one year, and then returned to St. Clair County and was occupied in other business than the law until the year 1878, when he again resumed the practice of law. In 1880 he formed a partnership with Hon. John C. Ferguson and Hon. F. C. Nesbit, which continued until the fall of 1881, when the death of Mr. Ferguson dissolved the firm. He subsequently united with Judge John D. Parkinson, under the firm name of Parkinson & Harrison, which still continues. Mr. Harrison was married May 18, 1876, to Miss Lulu Constable, and by this union they have two children, Elma and Thomas. Mr. H. is not a member of any church, is a Democrat and a Mason.

HASTAIN, J. P.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1133
--- J. P. HASTAIN, farmer and stock raiser, section 10, was born in White County, Tennessee, January 24, 1831. His father, D. M. Hastain was a native of the same state, and his mother's maiden name was Anna Green. In 1834 the family removed to Missouri, and first located in Henry County, being among the pioneer settlers there. J. P. Hastain was reared as a farmer's boy and in 1850, when in his nineteenth year, he went to California, and worked in the gold mines for fifteen years, returning to Missouri in 1865. He was married in Henry County, March 21, 1867, to Miss Octavia Hinkle, a daughter of M. D. Hinkle. She is a Kentuckian by birth, but removed to Missouri with her parents and was reared and educated in Henry County. They have a family of four children: Cecelia, Eddie, Jennie G. and William J. Three children died in infancy, Mary F., Lena May, and T. J. After farming in Henry County for six years, Mr. Hastain removed to California in 1873, and spent one season, the following year returning to Henry County, Missouri, where he farmed about eight years. In March, 1880, he came to St. Clair County and settled on the farm where he now resides. He has 160 acres of land all under cultivation. He and his wife are members of the M. E. Church, South.

HAWKINS, T. A.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1182
--- T. A. HAWKINS. The subject of this sketch was born in Crawford County, Missouri, June 9, 1842. His parents were P. E. and Joannah (Music) Hawkins, the former a native of Virginia and the latter of Missouri. T. A. grew up in Maries County, Missouri, and was there educated in the common schools. He was engaged in farming and milling in that locality until 1876, when he came to St. Clair County. His farm is situated in section 17 of Chalk Level Township and contains 120 acres. Mr. H. is constable of Butler Township. He is a member of the Baptist Church; March 20, 1863, he married Miss Emma Blockham, a native of Missouri. They have seven children: Eliza C., William T., James M., Joseph M., Mattie J., Emily and Charles L.

HEATH, Milton
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1215
--- MILTON HEATH, one of the prominent citizens of Taberville and owner of the Taberville Ferry, was born in Lawrence County, Illinois, November 11, 1847. He was there reared and educated, coming to St. Clair County in 1868. He has Followed farming principally during life, and has been owner of the Taberville ferry since 1874. His boat in present use was built in 1882. Mr. H. is a member of the Masonic fraternity. His father, Judge A. Heath, a son of Ashel and Aylcy (Curens) Heath, natives of Virginia, was the twelfth child of a family of fourteen children, and was born in Sullivan County, Indiana, March 6, 1823 When he was an infant his parents removed to Lawrence County, Illinois, and there he grew to manhood and was reared to the occupation of farming, which he has since followed. In 1866, he went to Hancock County, and in 1868 came to St. Clair County, Missouri. In 1873 he purchased the Taberville Ferry. While in Lawrence County, Illinois, he served as one of the county commissioners three terms. In 1872 he was elected by the Democratic party as one of the county judges of St. Clair County, serving four years. He is a member of Star Lodge, No. 419, A. F. & A. M. Judge Heath was married August 19, 1844, to Miss Mary Wright and they have eight children living: Robert, Milton, Lafayette, William J. John S., Jennie, Holbert, and Sherman. Mrs. H. was born in Ripley County, Indiana, February 19, 1828. Her father Josiah Wright was a native of Kentucky, as also was her mother, whose maiden name was Martha Hamilton.

HEDRICK, John D.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1111
--- JOHN D. HEDRICK, dealer in clothing and gent's furnishing goods, is a native of Bates County, Missouri, and was born January 10, 1847. He was reared on his father's farm till thirteen years of age, when he left home, and was engaged in farm work till June, 1862, then enlisting in Company D, Ninth Kansas Cavalry, and serving till July, 1865. Going to St. Clair County, Illinois, he remained three months, then returned to Bates County, Missouri, where he farmed two years. In 1872, he came to Appleton City with a team of mules and a wagon, which he traded for a small stock of groceries, giving in addition his note for seventy-five dollars. By honesty, perseverance and energy, he has attained the well merited position of being recognized as one of the successful and solid merchants of this city. In 1875, he added a general stock of goods, and the following year his brother, C. O. Hedrick, became a member of the firm, which was known as Hedrick Brothers, till August, 1882. Then John Hedrick took charge of the clothing department, and has since continued the same. He carries a large stock of goods, and is doing a prosperous business. Mr. H. was married, November 10, 1875, to Miss Mary M. Compton, of Bates County, Missouri. They have five children: Frank D., Charlie, Roy C., Lulu and Otto. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the A. O. U. W. fraternities.

HENLEY, Thomas
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1088
--- THOMAS HENLEY, farmer and proprietor of the Osceola Ferry, was born in Herefordshire, England, in November, 1825, his parents being Mathew and Elizabeth Henley. They came to this country in the fall of 1841, settling in Lawrence County, Pennsylvania, on a farm. They had a family of seven children. Thomas, the oldest son, remained at home until the death of his father, in 1846. January 1, 1851, he went to California and Oregon, but returned in December, 1852, well paid for his adventure. Selling his interest in the old homestead to his brother he purchased a farm in the vicinity. The oil excitement enhanced the value of his land and he sold his farm at a large advance. In the fall of 1866 he came to Osceola and bought land. He began improving and repairing the damages incurred during the war, and now has one of the desirable homes of the county. He was elected county judge in 1870, and served one term. He was also appointed judge by Governors Woodson and Phelps. As an official he was both capable and honest, and performed his duties with great credit to himself and acceptably to the county. Judge Henley was married in Pennsylvania to Miss Ann Cook in 1850. She died in 1866, leaving four children: Mathew C., Thomas J., William C. and Anna V., now Mrs. William Gallaway. He married Miss Catharine Cracraft for his second wife in 1878. They have one child, Rosa Ella, born February 7, 1880. The judge votes the Democratic ticket and belongs to the Masonic order. In 1866 he bought a half interest of the Osceola Ferry and 230 acres of land belonging to it. In 1881 he bought the entire interest and now owns and manages the ferry and farm.

HERNDON, Mc.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1086
--- Mc. HERNDON was born April 22, 1852, in Ozark County, Missouri, his parents being Rev. H. W. and Martha A. C. (Piland) Herndon, who were married December 2, 1847. The former, a physician and surgeon by profession, was born in East Tennessee, while the latter, a daughter of Samuel and Martha Piland, was born November 21,1830, in Hartford County, North Carolina. To them were born six sons and three daughters. One son, Joseph S., who was born September 28 ,1848, was an honored student of the Medical College at Salem, Oregon, and graduated at the head of a class of 100 pupils, taking the prize offered that year. He engaged in the practice of medicine at Salem, and is now the principal physician and surgeon at the penitentiary in Olympia, Washington Territory, and is also the surgeon of the Northern Pacific Railroad. He married Miss Mary E. Turner, of Linn County, Oregon. One daughter, Mary A., born August 15, 1850, married L. H. Gist, of this county. Mc. married Miss Mary E. Bair, of Jasper County, Missouri, January 10, 1875, and by this union there are three daughters: Celia L., born November 5, 1875; Nora, born April 26, 1878, and Lillie A., born November 12, 1880. The next daughter, Macy, who was born January 24, 1854, married Charles C. Dinney, of Oliver, born March 4, 1856, died August 21 of the same year. Martha J., born June 11, 1857, married William Cleveland. Jasper N., born March 30,1859, married Lydia J. McConnell. Samuel F. and James H. were born October 9, 1865. The Rev. H. W. Herndon died several years ago. His widow now resides with one of her sons. Mc. lives not far from the old homestead, and is actively engaged in farming and the raising of stock. Politically, he is a Greenbacker. He is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.

HICKS, Thomas Dawson
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1087
--- THOMAS DAWSON HICKS was born in Wilson County, Tennessee, January 5, 1847. His father, James L. Hicks, was also born in that county, December 20, 1820, and he was the son of Thomas M. Hicks, born at Greenfield Court House, North Carolina. The mother of Thomas, formerly Miss L. J. Hancock, of the same county, as her husband, was born in 1825. They moved to Missouri and settled in Hickory County in 1852, coming to this county in 1865, and locating in Osceola. He was shot on the street and killed June 23, 1875, by the city marshal. Mrs. Hicks died July 26, 1871. They left three children, of whom Thomas D. is the oldest. He learned the printers' trade in this city at which he worked for seven years. In 1873, in company with Louis M. Reese, they published the Osceola Herald for one year. In 1875 he was occupied in clerical work in the county offices. In 1878 he was appointed deputy county collector, and performed his official duties very satisfactorily. In 1882 he was elected county clerk. Mr. Hicks married Mrs. Mary E. Hubbs, November 9, 1873. She was the daughter of Andrew J. Strain, of this county. They have one child, Mabel Burleigh. Mr. Hicks is a staunch Democrat. He belongs to the M. E. Church and is a Royal Arch Mason and is also connected with the I. O. O. F. and the A. O. U. W. fraternities. James L. Hicks, the father of Thomas D., enlisted in the Eleventh Volunteer Cavalry in the spring of 1863 and served in the states of Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas and Missouri, and in 1865 he received an honorable discharge. His daughter, Nancy Hicks, married Mr. James M. Pugh, circuit clerk.

HILL, George Sr.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1215
--- GEORGE HILL, SR., section 32, son of John and Margaret (Schineltzer) Hill, natives of Pennsylvania, was born in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania, January 23, 1816. He was there brought up and educated and was considered one of the most practical farmers of that state. He followed this occupation in Northumberland and Lycoming Counties until 1880, except from 1849 to 1863, during which time he resided in St. Joseph County, Michigan. In 1880 he came to St. Clair County, Missouri. He and his sons now at home have a landed estate of nearly 600 acres. He was married February 24, 1840, to Miss Martha Brown. They have had ten children, nine of whom are living: Robert B., John, William B., Jane, George, Jr., Margaret, Martha B., Charles and Susan L. Mrs. Hill is the youngest of a family of twelve children, and was born in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, February 24, 1816. Her father, William Brown, was a native of Ireland, and her mother, formerly Jane Brown, came originally from Pennsylvania. Jane Brown was a daughter of Mathew and Eleaner (Torbit) Brown, the former of Pennsylvania and the latter of Scotland. The father of Mrs. Hill was a soldier in the Revolutionary war.

HILL, John
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1216
--- JOHN HILL, justice of the peace, notary public and dealer in real estate, is a son of George Hill, and was born in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania. He was reared in that county and there received an academic education. In the fall of 1864 he went to Salem, Marion County, Illinois, where he studied law with Judge Michael Schaeffer, remaining one year. Going south he located in Arkansas, where he was engaged in merchandising and raising cotton. In the spring of 1868 he came to St. Clair County, Missouri, and for the first two years taught school, and in 1870 he was elected County superintendent of schools, holding the office two years. Since that time he has been occupied in farming and dealing in stock, having at the present time a landed estate of about 1,500 acres. March 26, 1879, he was commissioned notary public, and in December, 1882, was appointed justice of the peace of Taberville. Mr. Hill was married September 20, 1869, to Miss Mary J. Coulthard, of St. Clair County, Missouri, born October 28, 1851. Her father, Joseph Coulthard, was a native of England, and her mother, formerly Catherine Truxiel, was born in Ohio. The family of Mr. and Mrs. H. consists of four children: George, Martha B., Katie M. and Josephine B. In 1863 he enlisted in the Pennsylvania Militia, and remained in service during the Gettysburg raid.

HILL, William Brown
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1216
--- WILLIAM BROWN HILL is proprietor of the Taberville Hotel, and is also a dealer in and feeder of stock. His father was George Hill, Esq. William was born in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, March 2, 1844. He was reared there, except three years spent in St. Joseph County, Michigan. He was educated in the common schools of his native county and the Wyoming seminary of the Wyoming Valley. After following farming till 1870 he engaged in the grocery business at Williamsport City, which he continued four years. In September, 1876, he went to Salt Lake City, Utah, where he accepted the position as deputy clerk of the United States district court of Utah. In July, 1877 he resigned his position and came to St. Clair County, where he has since been dealing in stock. His hotel has gained a good reputation and is a credit to the place. While in Pennsylvania Mr. H. was captain in the Twelfth Regiment of National Guards of Pennsylvania. Since coming to St. Clair County he acted as deputy sheriff under John P. Gordon. At the convention of the Greenback party, in September, 1882, he was nominated as their candidate for sheriff of the county. Mr. H. is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and of the patriot order Sons of America, belonging to Camp 26, of Williamsport City, Pennsylvania. He was married the first time September, 19, 1872, to Miss Josephine Good, who was born in May, 1858. She died January 16, 1878, leaving two children: Laura G., born October 19, 1873, and Josia G., born November 12, 1877, and who died August 12, 1878. He was again married January 3, 1882, to Miss Julia L. Bishop, of Rock Island County, Illinois, born May 14, 1859. Her father, Thomas V. Bishop was a native of Pennsylvania, and her mother, Elizabeth Gallop, of the same state.

HILLEGAS, William H.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1182
--- WILLIAM H. HILLEGAS, section 9, was born May 22, 1844, in Montgomery County, Ohio. His father, Joseph Hillegas, a native of Pennsylvania, was born in 1805, and subsequently accompanied his parents to Ohio, where, in 1830 he married Miss Hannah Reed, who was also born in Pennsylvania in 1810. Upon leaving Ohio, he removed to Indiana, thence to Illinois, and later, in the fall of 1857, to Henry County, Missouri. He still resides there, having served two terms as county judge. Through the failure of the railroad company he became a heavy loser. October 24, 1868, William H. Hillegas (one of a family of eight children) married Miss Huldah A. daughter of J. W. and Mary Pattison, of Jasper County, Missouri. They have five children: Charles E., born July 9, 1869; Effie M., born August 3, 1874; Gertrude, born October 20, 1877; Joseph William, born August 22, 1880; and Michael E., born December 8, 1883. Mr. H. became a resident of Henry County in 1857, and March 7, 1862, he enlisted in Company C, Seventh Missouri State Militia, Cavalry, as a private. He thus served two years, was then made corporal and served until mustered out, March 7, 1865. In 1868 he purchased 160 acres of his present farm and in the fall of 1882 120 acres adjoining, and here he now has a well improved place. He raises cattle to some extent. Mr. and Mrs. H. are members of the M. E. Church at Lowry City. Politically he is a Republican.

HILTON, Charles
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1111
--- CHARLES HILTON is the popular editor of the Appleton City Journal. The subject of this sketch came originally from Washington County, Virginia, where he was born May 11, 1856. He resided in that vicinity till 1868, when the family removed to Marion, Illinois. There he began learning the printing trade in 1870, which he continued till 1878. Coming to Appleton City, he held a position on the Voice of the People for two years, and worked on the cases of the Advocate at Clinton, Missouri, for six months. Going to Osceola he resumed his connection with the Voice of the People, being its local editor, for ten months, when he accepted the foremanship of the Journal office in this city. In November, 1882, he became its editor and publisher. Mr. Hilton was married January 22, 1882, to Miss Anna Barnes, a native of Osceola, Missouri. Mr. H. deserves great credit for the success which he has made in his profession. He was left an orphan at an early age, and his efforts to rise in life were made under many difficulties, and, though enemies assailed him on every point, he has risen steadily and received a well merited position. he publishes one of the best papers in the county, and his reputation as an honest, upright man is well known.

HINKLEY, Elias
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1112
--- ELIAS HINKLEY, section 23, was born in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, May 8, 1830. When he was ten years of age his father removed to Richland County, Ohio, and four years after to Noble County, Indiana. About 1856 Elias spent one year in Wisconsin, but returned to Indiana, where he resided until 1866. From that time until 1879, when he came to Missouri, he was engaged in milling in Michigan in the counties of Eaton and Montcalm. Since coming to this state Mr. Hinkley has been farming, and now has a well improved farm of eighty acres. He was married October 20, 1855, to Miss Mary J. Warner, a native of Ohio. They have seven children: Corydon D., Ada, Leora, Cassius M., Harry B., C. C. and Bertie E.

HODKINS, James
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1112
--- JAMES HODKINS was born November 14, 1830, in Brown County, Ohio, being the fifth of seven children and the only one now living. His father, also named James, a native of Kentucky, was born near Lexington in 1795. His mother's maiden name was Sarah Cross, born about the same time as her husband in Brown County, Ohio. Their lives were spent in Ohio, both dying some twenty years ago. Young Hodkins was reared on the home farm, and in his eighteenth year he began to teach school, which he followed for several years. he had taken a course in vocal music at the Musical Academy of Decatur, Ohio, and employed some of his time as instructor of music. In 1855 he began a mercantile business at Higginsport, Ohio, which he followed until 1869, when he located at Hudson, Missouri, and in 1870 came to Appleton City, opening the first store at that place. After remaining here three years he went to the Osage Iron Works, where he managed the company's store for some months. He then returned and for three years had charge of the Galena House, now Appleton House. For about seven years Mr. Hodkins has been bookkeeper for Wyckoff & McFarlane and has repeatedly held the office of justice of the peace, and being a prominent school man, has been placed upon the school board, where he has done much to advance the interests of the public school of this city. He was married October 14, 1856, to Miss Henrietta Bryan, a native of the same state as himself. Her death occurred October 1, 1876, she leaving four children: Sallie B., Charles E., living, and Olive H. and Clarence M., now dead. Mr. H. was again married April 21, 1880, to Miss Mary E. Bryrus, also of Ohio. They have one child, Mary C. Mr. Hodkins has been a Mason for nearly thirty years.

HOFFSTROM, Frederick
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1134
--- FREDERICK HOFFSTROM, farmer and stock raiser, section 23, is a native of Sweden, and was born August 26, 1829, his parents being Niles F. and Sophia (Hardorph) Hoffstrom, also originally from Sweden. The former was an officer in the army of Sweden, which position he held at his death in 1846 or 1847. Fred Hoffstrom grew to manhood and received a good education in the country of his birth, there learning the trade of dyer and finisher. He emigrated to the United States in 1849 and worked at his trade at different places in Illinois for three years. Moving thence to Niagara Falls he worked one and one-half years and afterward went to Fredonia, Chautauqua County, where he engaged in business for himself. In the spring of 1853 he took a trip to California by way of the Isthmus, and after spending three years returned in the winter of 1856. He then purchased land in Washington County, Iowa, and farmed three years. In the spring of 1869 he returned to California, going from there to Nevada, where he engaged in mining at Virginia City. In nearly four years he retraced his steps to his family in the summer of 1863, bringing with him a herd of California horses. He farmed until 1865 when he sold out and came to Missouri, locating in St. Clair County, where he purchased land and improved the farm which he now occupies. Mr. Hoffstrom owns 400 acres and he is one of the most successful farmers and stock raisers in the county. He was married in Aurora, Illinois, February 9, 1851, to Miss Almina Elizabeth Morgan, a native of New York, and a daughter of C. B. Morgan. They have three children: Clara S. (wife of Wilson Hartzell), Frank H. and Lilly Belle. Mrs. Hoffstrom is a member of the Christian Church. Mr. H. is a Mason.

HOLLY, Daniel K.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1087
--- DANIEL K. HOLLY, druggist, etc., was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, in 1851, his parents being Daniel and Catherine Holly, both natives of Germany. The former came to this country in 1831 and settled in Butler County, Ohio, moving thence to Montgomery County, and later to McLean County, Illinois. In 1838 he came to Missouri and settled in St. Clair County on a farm. In the spring of 1868 he removed to Sedalia. They had a family of thirteen children, eight now living. Daniel K. was the youngest child, and after leaving home he was engaged in various kinds of business with varied success. In 1877 he came to Osceola. In 1879 he purchased a stock of drugs, to which he has added, and now carries a stock that would be a credit to a larger city. He commenced with limited means, but by good management and attention to business has established himself in a paying trade. Mr. Holly married Miss Frankie Archibald November 26, 1879. She was the daughter of Thomas Archibald, of Ohio. They were of English extraction, but were brought up in New York. They have two children, Mabel Alice and Vesta. Politically, he is a Republican. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity and the A. O. U. W.

HOOVER, James M. Jr.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1217
--- JAMES M. HOOVER, JR., is a farmer on section 31. His father was James M. Hoover, a sketch of whose life is elsewhere to he found. He has made farming his occupation during life in this county, having been born here February 5, 1856. He was for sometime in different locations of Southwest Missouri, working in the lead mines. He was married February 1, 1880, to Miss Sarah D. Suggs, a native of Moniteau County, Missouri, and a daughter of John and Mary A. (Wade) Suggs. Mrs. H. was born May 24, 1861. They have one child, Charles W.

HOOVER, James M. Sr.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1217
--- J. M. HOOVER, Sr., farmer and stock dealer, section 32, was born in Lee County, Virginia, September 1, 1823. He is a son of Alexander and Margaret E (Smith) Hoover, the former originally of Virginia and the latter of Ohio. They had a family of eight children, the subject of this sketch being the third child. In the fall of 1835 the Hoover family moved to St. Clair County, Missouri, and located near Osceola. Alexander Hoover died in July, 1865, and his wife in October, 1880. J. M. has followed farming and dealing in stock in this county since he grew to manhood, and is now one of the leading and most respected citizens of his township. He has a landed estate of 388 acres. He served three years in the Missouri State militia. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. June 16, 1841, he was married to Mrs. Mary N. Hembre, a daughter of Hugh Allison. She was born in Warren County, Tennessee, December 12, 1837. Mr. and Mrs. H. have had eleven children, six of whom are now living: James M., William S., Josephine, Rebecca, Eliza H. and Lillie M.

HOPKINS, John R.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1113
--- JOHN R. HOPKINS, attorney, dealer in real estate and collecting agent, was born in Clinton County Kentucky, February 12, 1843. He lived there till 1850, when the family removed to St. Clair County, Missouri, and here John was principally reared, following the occupation of farming. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company B., Sixteenth Missouri Regiment, Confederate States Army, and served till paroled at Shreveport, Louisiana, June 8, 1865. He then went to Paris Texas, where he remained till November, 1865, when he returned to this county. In the spring of 1866 he made a trip to Montana Territory. After his return he resumed farming until 1868, when he embarked in the business at Chalk Level, there continuing till September, 1870. The succeeding two years he was in business in Lowry City, Missouri. In 1872 he removed to Osceola and edited the St. Clair County Democrat for three years. Coming to Appleton City, Missouri, he engaged in the drug business under the firm name of F. McCrary & Co., and afterwards W. G. Browning & Co., which in one year was changed to Hopkins & Woodberry. They sold out in June, 1881. Mr. H. then, with his former partner, embarked in the wholesale cigar and tobacco business in Kansas City, and he is still interested in this business. In May, 1882, he returned to this city and has since been occupied in his present calling. He was married October 31, 1867, to Miss Martha J. Browning, a native of Missouri. They have four children: Susan A., Emma, Frank and Lizzie. During 1866 and 1867 he held the position of deputy sheriff. Mr. H. is a member of the Masonic fraternity and also of the A. O. U. W.

HORN, W. J.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1193
--- W. J. HORN, farmer and stock raiser, section 25, was born in Wilson County, Tennessee, February 29, 1840. His father, Dr. S. W. Horn, was a native of Virginia and a practicing physician. He came to Cedar County at an early period of the county's history and had a large and successful practice in Cedar and adjoining counties, and though now well advanced in years, is still able to respond to the calls of many of his old friends. His wife was formerly Margaret Tyree, also of Virginia. W. J. received a good practical English education. His early life was spent on a farm, and he has principally followed this calling, excepting for four years, while railroading. His farm consists of 160 acres of choice land, well improved. In educational matters he has taken an active interest, and has repeatedly served as school director. Mr. Horn married Miss A. Dudley September 16, 1866. She was born in 1844 and is a daughter of William and Nancy (Stevens) Dudley, natives of Virginia. They have a family of eight children: Mary L., Cora, Maggie, Ettie F., James W., Martha Virginia, Lemuel and Samuel W. Mr. H. is a member of the Masonic order and the I. O. O. F.

HOSHAW, Mayfield
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1201
--- JUDGE MAYFIELD HOSHAW, farmer, section 9, is a native of Ross County, Ohio, and was born June 29, 1820. His parents were Jacob and Jane (Cox) Hoshaw, the former a Virginian by birth, and the latter originally from North Carolina. Mayfield was the fourth child of a family of eleven children. When he was ten years old the family moved to Indiana, where he grew to manhood and was educated. In 1839 he emigrated to Missouri, locating in Lawrence County, and was engaged in farming and stock raising in that and Jasper Counties, until going overland to California. In 1851 he returned to Lawrence County, Missouri, and in 1861, moved to Jasper County where he remained until 1864, then coming to St. Clair County. He now owns a farm of 240 acres. In 1882 he was elected judge of the county court of St. Clair County. He is a member of the Christian Church. January 17, 1841, Mr. Hoshaw was married to Miss Frances Hopkins, who died in January, 1848, leaving two children: Jane and Perry. In October, 1851, he was again married to Miss Millie Brown. Her death occurred in January, 1855, she leaving one child: Samuel. He was afterwards married in November, 1855, to Betsie A. Nichols. She died in September, 1858, leaving two children: Angelina and Eliza. August 11, 1859, Mr. H. was married to his present wife, whose maiden name was Frances Moore. They have six children: William, Lounta, Thomas, Lucy, Amos, and George W.

HOYT, Albert
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1217
--- ALBERT HOYT, section 6. The paternal great-grandfather of Albert Hoyt, Benjamin Hoyt, was born in England June 7, 1702, and was killed in the battle of Ticonderoga during the French war. His son, Robert Hoyt, was born in England May 6, 1753, and was there married to Miss Jane Hall. Benjamin Hoyt, a son of Robert, was born in New Braintree, Massachusetts, March 13, 1785, and died in Illinois August 31, 1845, having been married to Miss Dorothy Walker at Richmond, New York, December 31, 1810. She was born near the White Mountains of Vermont December 17, 1792, and was a daughter of John W. Walker, a native of Vermont, and a descendant of an old and noted family of England. She died in Illinois February 4, 1873, The family of Benjamin and Dorothy Hoyt consists of eleven children, seven sons and four daughters, of whom the subject of this sketch was the forth, child. He was born in Middlebury, Genesee County, New York, January 14, 1818. When he was an infant the family removed to Trumbull County, Ohio, but after the age of twelve years was reared in Portage County, learning the carpenter's trade with his father. He followed that occupation in Portage County until 1838, afterward working in. different parts of Iowa and Missouri until 1840, when he returned to Lake, County, Ohio. There he was married December 17, 1840, to Miss Calista Norris, who was born in Genesee County, New York, September 20, 1816. She died in Lake County June 18, 1844, leaving two children, Julia and Albertus E. In 1845 Mr. H. went to Adams County, Illinois, where he was engaged in farming until 1856, then locating in Lewis County, Missouri. In 1874 he returned to Adams County, where he resided until 1877. Since that time he has been a resident of this county. December 23, 1848, Mr. Hoyt was married in Adams County to Miss Samantha Willard, who was born in Overton County, Tennessee, July 12, 1827. They have had seven children, four of whom are living: Henrietta, Calista, Addison G. and James W. In May, 1847 he enlisted in the Mexican war, and was discharged November 7, 1848.

HUBBARD, F. J.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1183
--- F. J. HUBBARD, farmer, section 8, was born in Arkansas August 31, 1846, his parents being Henry and Mariette E. (Henry) Hubbard, the former a native of New York and the latter of Louisiana. F. J. was the eldest of a family of six children. When he was about one year old his parents moved to Illinois where they remained a short time, then coming to Missouri and locating in Benton County. There he was reared and educated. In 1865 he came to Henry County and was engaged in farming until 1871, at that period moving to Clinton where he remained one year. After that he settled in St. Clair County, Missouri, where he has been engaged in farming. He owns a farm of 120 acres. Mr. H. is a member of the M. E. Church. In October, 1871, he was married to Miss Eliza Bridenstine, a native of Ohio.

HUEBNER, C. F.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1183
--- C. F. HUEBNER, manufacturer and dealer in boots, shoes and harness, was born in Perry County, Ohio, August 16, 1847, and is a son of Charles and Mary (Gremer) Huebner, natives of Germany. He grew to manhood in Somerset, Ohio, where he was educated. His father being a shoe maker by trade, the son also worked with him till grown. In 1869 he went to Clinton, Henry County, Missouri, where he was employed by Captain Fike as clerk till 1872, when he came to St. Clair County. Then he began farming and continued it till 1880, when he embarked in business at Lowry City. He also owns a farm of eighty acres. Mr. Huebner is a member of the I. O. O. F. fraternity. June 6, 1871, he was married to Miss Jennie S. Christman, a native of Pennsylvania. They have a family of five children: Minnie, Rosa, Docia, Carrie and an infant.

HUNT, George G.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1174
--- GEORGE G. HUNT, originally from Devonshire, England, was born in September, 1853. His father, Nicholas Hunt, was a prominent stock breeder of that country. His mother's maiden name. was Jane Gill, and they were married in 1843. To them were born eight children, of whom George G. was the fifth child. Leaving his native country in 1871 he emigrated to America and located in West Virginia. In the fall of 1873 he removed to Lafayette County, Missouri, and after making his home there for eight years came to his present place of residence. He is the owner of a good farm of 160 acres, and is acknowledged to be one of the leaders in the stock industry in Henry County. His flock of sheep number 480 head, and other stock in proportion. He is possessed of great thrift and energy and is one of the most enterprising agriculturists in this vicinity. While in England Mr. Hunt was a Conservative and is now a Democrat.

HUSTON, Thomas
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1201
--- THOMAS HUSTON, manufacturer of and dealer in harness and saddles, was born in Fulton, Callaway County, Missouri, April 9, 1837. His father, William Huston, a saddler by trade, was a Virginian by birth and one of the pioneers of Missouri, having come to this state in 1828. He married Rebecca C. Huttsell, of Kentucky. When Thomas was eight years old the family removed to Clinton County, Missouri, and after a short residence there removed to Kansas City. In 1850 he began learning the trade he now so successfully follows, working in that city for three years. Going to Richmond, Missouri, he worked four years, then returned to Kansas City and remained one year. Thence to Ft. Scott, Kansas, where he engaged in the harness business. In 1870 he came to Roscoe. Mr. Huston was married August 2, 1862, to Miss Martha Dickey, whose death occurred October 30, 1865, she leaving one child, Harry. He was again married October 6, 1868, to Miss Elmirah Burch, of this county. They have three children: Effie, Dottie and Grace.