The Holt County Historical Society was organized in 1972 to
preserve the heritage of Holt County Missouri for future generations. Properties
owned by the organization include:
The John C. Hinkle Farmstead, a gift to the society from his great-grandson Mark Roupe
and his wife Cynthia, Topeka, KS, is located about 2 miles
south of Fortescue. The 3 acre plot has an 1869 brick Gothic home, a four
room frame house built in the late 1800's, a smokehouse, barn and other outbuildings.
former Fortescue Methodist Church building was built in Craig in 1896. After a fire destroyed
the Fortescue Methodist Church in 1952, the Craig building was moved to Fortescue
in 1953. The Fortescue congregation merged with the Mound City United
Methodist Church in 1997 and the building was donated to the HCHS. The
historic frame building with its beautiful stained glass windows is used for
programs and activities.
Society records along with genealogy and research materials are now located
in the former Benne Law Office building, 612 State St, Mound City, now owned by the Nodaway Valley Bank.