Fremont Baptist Church
Back to Carter County Page
What follows is the content of various papers picked up at the
Fremont Baptist Church in Fremont, Missouri.
First page of Record number three (3) of the New Hope Church.
New-Hope Baptist Church as shown by record No. one (1) was Organized in
1843 on Pike Creek in what was then Ripley Co. Mo., but is now Carter
The charter Members being Brothers John W. Snider, James Snider, William
Snider, K.W. Giddons, Henry Adair, and Sisters Ann Snider and Nancy
Neel. The Organization was affected by Wm. B. Karr assisted by D
Summers. Record No. one contains the constitution, organization and
Transactions of the church from Dec 28, 1843 to July 3, 1858.
Record No. 2 contains the Names of members and the minutes of
transactions of the church from August 1858, to June 16, 1901.
This record contains the names of the members and the minutes.
June 16, 1901
Signed J. B. Snider
>From Records Fremont Bapt. CH (New Hope United Bapt Ch Of Christ)
This church was organized 27 Dec 1843. Presbytary Elder Wm B Karr
assisted by Licensed preacher D Summers. When Organized it was in
Ripley Co MO now is Carter Co MO. The church and records destroyed by
tornado early 1950's.
Names of Constitutioners:
John W. Snider (d 8 July 1857) his wife Ann Snider
Wm Snider (d 13 Feb 1855) his wife Sally Snider
James Snider (became deacon) Nancy Neel (d 1877)
Randolph W. Gideon (dism 22 Dec 18440 Elizabeth Kinnard
Henry Adair Jane Hawkins (d 18740
Margaret Snider (bap 1844)
Members Received after organization
John and Nancy Baker (2 Jul 1852)
Edy & Henderson E. Bates ((bap 1857)
Adeline & James Brown (he d 1861)
(Adeline m/#2 Timothy Reeves 1867)
Elizabeth & John Gipson (by let 16 May 1857)
Thos W. Edwards (bap 1852)
Wm Hawkins (bap 1845)
Owen S Hawkins (1852)
Geo & Polly Heiskel (by let Jun 1853)
(dism Aug 1853)
Daniel W. Hoskins (by let 1852)
James & John House ( bap 1845)
Levi Macy (by let 1858)
Elder J.N. Russell
George Snider (bap 1845, d 1854)
Lewis A Snider (bap 1852, d 1868)
Michael Snider (by let 1845, d 1858)
Samuel Snider (bap 1852, d 1857)
Wm Vandiver (rec'd 18450
Polly Adair (bap 1847)
Caroline Baker (exp 1856)
Martha Gapson (by let Jun 1857)
Rebecky Hawkins (rec 1853)
Susannah House (bap 1844, excl 1849)
Sarah E Kinnard (bap 1845)
Emaline Kinnard (bap 1848)
Elizabeth Lafler ? Lefly
Mary Lefly (both by let 1857)
Rebecca McCaskill (by let 1858)
Elizabeth Neel (bap 1852)
Jane Neel (bap 1844)
Nancy A (Mings) Neel (bap 1852)
Lety Shields (exp 1846)
Rebeckey Snider (by let 1855)
Catherine Snider (bap 1854, d 1858)
Polly Edam Snider (bap 1847, d 1855)
Mary Ann Snider
Jane Snider w/o Michael
Members 31 May 1859
Adair Henry (m __ Hawkins 1845)
Bates Edy :& Henderson E
Brown Adeline & James
Dawson Sarah A & Wm
Edwards Thos W
Hawkins Jane-Owen S-Rebekah-Susan-Wm C
Hoskins Daniel W
House John & Mathias
Johnson Wm K
Jones Sarah & Richard
Kinnard Emaline-Sarah E-Sarah J
Neel Almira-Carter-Elizabeth-Lewis-Nancy-Snithy-Walter E
Russell Elder J.N.
Shy Sarah E
Snider Ann-Geo W-Jane-James Jr & Sr-James W-Martha
Whitworth Lucinda & Meleta
Randolph Gideons & Wm Snider were dism from Bapt Ch of Christ, Monroe Co
(Hopewell) TN 1 Oct 1842
Nancy Neel dism United Bapt Ch of Christ at Six Mile, Blount Co TN 26
Jane Snider dism United Bapt Ch of Christ at Six Mile 3 Mar 1843
Michael Snider dism United Bapt Ch of Christ at Six Mile 3 Mar 1843
Lucinda Whitworth dism United Bapt Ch of Christ at Browns Creed Marshall
Co ALA Sept 1845
Polly Heiskel dism United Bapt Ch of Christ Hopewell TN 1 Sept 1844
John W. Snider chosen Moderator 3 Feb 1844
Margaret & Sally Snider both rec'd by experience
Peggy Snider bapt 9 Jul 1881
>From "A History of our Church"
The Fremont Baptist Church was organized in 1843. It was called the New
Hope Baptist Church and was located on Pike Creek. The first building
was made of logs and still stands today on the Marge Usery farm.
After the Civil War the church house was used as a schoolhouse during
the weekdays. In 1887 they moved from the old log church in the valley
to the town of Peggy whose name was changed to Fremont in 1907.
In 1921 the Methodist built a new Church and their trustees sold their
old building to the Baptist and it remained the Baptist Church until it
was destroyed by a tornado on May 21, 1957.
Following the tornado in 1957, the Fremont Baptist Church purchased the
property that had at one time been the Ellis Store on the Main Street
and rebuilt the church. It served as a school building for grades one
through eight for two years while the school was being rebuilt.
>From the pamphlet "First Baptist Church, Fremont, Missouri, 150 Years,
First Baptist Church of Fremont is the oldest church in the county and
in this part of the country. It started at the New Hope Baptist Church
and was organized December 27, 1843 on Pike Creek and was then Ripley
County, Mo. The following were the constitution Members:
John Snider, William Snider, James Snider, R.W. Gideons, Henry Adair,
Ann, Margarette, and Sally Snider, Nancy Neel, Jane Hawkins, and
The Sniders, Gideons and Neels were from Monroe County Tennessee. Some
early members were from North Carolina.
Kos Burrows and Alice Burrows Alley were direct decendents of the Snider
family who were constitutioners of the church. Also, Brian Perry,
Greatgrandson of Kos Burrows pastored this church, 1990-1992.
James Snider was chosen as the first Church Clerk and William G. Karr
was the first pastor.
>From the time of organization, regular services were held until June
1911. From 1911 until 1921 there were no regular services; however in
January 1915 the church met and re-organized but there are no records of
another meeting until November 1921 when the church met and re-organized
again. At this time the name was changed to First Baptist Church,
Fremont, Mo. From that time until the present, regular services have
The church has had four buildings. The first was a log house which
stood in the Walter Massey field near what is known as Kinnard Spring.
This place is located on the farm now owned by Doug and Eunice
Pennington. This building burned. Before the first church building the
members met in each other's homes and came in wagons for all day
services and sometimes stayed atll night. Baptizings were held at Cave
Springs, about six miles West of Van Buren. In August, 1901, services
were held at Millspring Pond with the ordinance of Baptism following the
Church service. Brother Bennett was the pastor. The large crowd was
walking back to the Church for the night services and Brother Bennett
died suddenly as they were ascending the steep hill. The Church took a
collection to bury Bro. Bennett.
The second Church House was also a log structure. It was located on the
W.P. Alley farm about one mile down Little Pike Creek from Fremont.
This farm is now owned by Jim and Judy Rodebush. This log house is
still standing and is used for a hay barn.
The third Church buiding was in Fremont. The next place west of the
present Roy Greene residence. This Church building was built by the
Methodist Episcopal Church in 1887. The town was called Peggy at that
time and was changed to Fremont in 1907. The Baptist bought this
building in 1922 and paid $400 for it. This building was modern for the
time and was built of pine boards sawed in the mills that had moved in
to harvest the vast pine and oak forests. This building was used up to
the time of the tornado May 21, 1957. The tornado completly destroyed
the building and many of the records of the Church. Some members lost
their lives when the tornado took their homes. Those being Jack and
Alice Alley and Maude Simpson.
The building was gone, but not the Church. There had been dreams of
building a new and modern Church building with class rooms and kitchen
with a fellowship hall. So long before the tornado came a building fund
had been started and the old Ellis store building and property were
bought for a site for the New Church. This property was bought from
Tyke and Myrtle Burrows on Aug. 3 1955. The dreams for a new building
had not included the wild winds that wrecked and destroyed and carried
their message accross the nation to reap a golden harvest in the way of
dollars toward the new building. Donations came from across the nation
from concerned people who wanted to help rebuild the church. With the
donations, insurance money, and efforts from the local people a new
building was put up............
descendant of John Walker Snider d. 1857 and Anna Neal Snider d.
abt 1872?, John Walker's brother was Dr. James Snider. Their uncle was
I am also descended from Robert Neal (Anna Neal's brother) d abt 1865
and his wife Nancy Henderson Neal (Neel) d 1877)