Mille Lacs County Historical Society

The Mille Lacs County Historical Society is located in the Princeton Depot, formaly the Great Northern Depot. The architectural style is a combination os Dutch and Queen Anne design, The depot was built in 1902 by James J. Hill, a farmer's son born Sept 16, 1838, near Guelph in Ontario where his grandfather was one of the earliest settlers and made his home on the Canada Company's lands in 1826.
The railroad came to Princeton in 1886. Wooden depot comparable to those in villages similar to Princeton was erected and was painted red on the outside. That building stood untill 1902, when it was replaced by a fine, new brick structure, much larger,and was dedicatedon January 20, 1903. The cost of the new building was $20,000. There were two sister stations in this design - one in Litchfield, Minnesota, and the other one in Bellington, Washington. Both of these were demolished, and the surving Princeton Depot is now on the National Register of Historic Places.
Mille Lacs County Historical Society is a non-profit organization whose mission is to encourage the study of the history, of our region. Located on the grounds is the "District No 1"schoolhouse, the first in Mlle Lacs County, Built in 1856. Other attractions include the first motorized fire truck used by the Princeton Volunteer Fire Department. This is a rare 1924 Wilcox water truck built in Minneapolis. In our train park we have a 1963 Milwaukee Road insulated boxcar, a 1963 Burlington Northern Flat car, a 1925 Wooden Milwaukee Road boxcar, and a 1963 Burlington Northern wide-vision steel caboose. We also have a banquet room that will seat about 100 people. Stop by and see us, or call for an appointment.

[Prev Page][ Next Page ]