It was in 1853 that government surveyors set lines for the townships. A year later, the Mantor brothers, along with Eli P. Waterman, established their claims, which would later be an important town to the area known as "Mantorville." Still a year later, in 1855, Dodge County was organized for local government. In the first few years of growth, its main settlers were Germans and people of Scandinavian descent, mostly Norwegians. With increasing growth and improvement, Dodge County was officially placed in the Fifth Judicial District by the State Constitution on May 11, 1858. Its name, given in honor of Wisconsin governor Henry Dodge, lives on with pride for its colorful past. The Dodge County Courthouse, designed by E. Townsend Mix and built of locally quarried limestone in 1865, is the oldest working courthouse in Minnesota.
Please send comments or suggestions regarding this web page
to Shirley Cullum
Dodge County Coordinator
Back to Dodge County Main Page