GLASGOW VILLAGE HISTORY
Help Keep Glasgow Village
A Safe Place For Our
The Early History Of
- The property of Glasgow Village was acquired in 1838 by
Dr. William Carr Lane. Dr. Lane wasborn in Pennsylvania and
attended medical school in Philadelphia. He came to St. Louis
wherehe practiced as a physician. In 1822 St. Louis was
incorporated and in 1823 he was elected thefirst Mayor of St.
Louis. Dr. Lane had their children, a son who died, Sarah who
married William Glasgow, Jr., and Anne who never married.
William and Sarah Glasgow had the following children:
Mary who became Mrs. Charles Branch whose daughter is Mrs. A.W.
Jones living in Webster Groves.
William, whose daughter is Mrs. George Kimball Conant Sr. of
Anne never married.
Susan married Dr. Norman Bruce Carson. Their son William is
Glasgow Bruce Carson a retired professor from Washington
University living in University City.
Twins - Dr. Frank A. who never married, and Allan C. who has
a son Charles living in California, two daughters Mrs. Leland
Chivvis and Mrs. George W. Lane both residing in St. Louis.
Sarah married Mr. Newton R. Wilson.
Grandfather William Glasgow and his wife Sarah who lived on the
old Lane property named the farm "Bienveinue" which means
"welcome" in French. The farm extended from the river to
Portland Cement Company on the South and Chain of Rocks Park on
the North. The family of Glasgow gave the ground to the City.
Lookaway Drive was formerly called Carr Lane Drive.
Grandfather Glasgow had a grape vineyard on the slopes facing
the river. He founded the American Wine Company which later
became Cooks Champagne, recently sold to Schneley (?) who are
moving their facilities to Fresno California.
Later the heirs decided to sell the "Bienveinue" farm. They
requested their attorney contact someone to handle a suburb
planning project. The attorney contacted Mr. Miles H. Carpenter
who was living in California. Mr. Carpenter came to St. Louis,
met the Glasgow family, and started development of Glasgow
Village in 1949. Mr. Carpenter did the layout of our Village
and selected Scottish street names in the fulfillment of the
Glasgow family wishes. The Village consists of 500 acres in
Glasgow Village and 100 acres in Glasgow Hills. Later Mr.
Carpenter sold out to Mr. C.T. Wilson.
The street names are taken from places and Clans in Glasgow,
Scotland. The word Clan or Clann simply means children, i.e.
the decedents of the actual of mythical ancestor from whom the
community claims descent. The following descriptions were
obtained from the Municipal Information Bureau in Glasgow,
Scotland. Mr. Miles H. Carpenter, Mrs. Tom Curtis, Mr.
William Glasgow B. Carson, and Mr. George W. Lane assisted in
CAMERON: A clan called Cameron of Glasgow which later assumed
the name of Glasgow. The Clan Cameron is described as "Fiercer
than Fierceness itself". The Cameron Clan is related to the
Glen Nevis, MacSorlies. The present chief Sir Donald W.
Cameron, K.T.C.M.C., 25th Chief of the Clan. Crest: A
dexter arm embossed in armor, the hand grasping a sword. All
proper. Badge: Oak, Crowberry. War Cry: Chlanna nan con
thigibh a sos's gheibh sibh feoil, (sons of the hounds, come
here and get flesh) Pipe music: Piobaireachd Dhonuill Duibh.
There is a Clan Cameron Society with headquarters in Glasgow.
ROSS, CRAWFORD, ESTIDGE, AND DUDLEY are all related to the
ROSS: The Clan Ross take their name from the province of
Rossand designed in Gaelic as Clann– Andrais. Crest: A hand
holding a garland of laurel proper. Badge: Juniper. Pipe
music: The Earl of Ross' March.
RENFREW: Second largest county located in the central part of
Scotland, directly South of Dumbarton County.
CATHNESS: County located in extreme Northeast par of Scotland.
CALLOWAY: The Southwestern lowlands are often referred to
under their ancient title of Galloway and contain some of the
most impressive scenery in the whole of Scotland. This is the
area above all, where the term "lowlands" seems most
inappropriate. Galloway by reason of its comparatively
isolated situation, well to the West of the main traffic
routes, makes a strong appeal to those holiday makers who seek
the peace and seclusion that are not always to be found in he
more frequented areas.
LANARK: A County directly East of Renfrew County. The City
of Glasgow is within the County of Lanark.
LANCASHIRE: A Township within Lanark County.
PRESTWICK: City located in Ayr County, seaport town at the
Firth of Clyde.
GRETNA: The Western boarders. Those who travel Northwards by
the road from Carlisle almost invariably make their first stop
in Scotland at Gretna Green, an unpretentious little village
which was formerly the goal of enterprising runaway couples
from England. Under the Scottish law that
existed before 1865, all that was needed to constitute legal
marriages was a declaration before two witnesses of willingness
on either side. Residential qualifications were not necessary.
The Blacksmith at Gretna Green, for a consideration, would
hastily perform the rough and ready formalities.
MAC DOUGALL: Name of a Highland Clann. They take their name
from Dugall, son Somerled, from whom they are descended.
Crest: An arm in armor embowed fessways couped,
proper, holding a cross crosslet fitchy, gules. Badge:
Bellheath, Cypress. War Cry: Buaidh no
bas. (Victory or death) Pipe music: Casteal Dhunolla.
(Dunolly Castle) There is a Clan MacDougall Society with
headquarters in Oban, Scotland.
MIDLOTHIAN: County East of Lanark County.
BANFF: County Central Northeast part of Scotland.
BALMORAL: Community in Aberdeen County. The Balmoral Tartan
was designed by H.R.H. the Prince Consort and was used in
many ways by Queen Victoria when making gifts to her friends.
It was in general use in the royal family household when Queen
Victoria visited the Highlands. It is now reserved for the
sole use of the Royal Family.
TAY: Large lake in Perth County called Loch Tay. The Tay
valley, near Dunkeld, Perthshire is
PRESLEY and SHEPLEY: Mr. Hirst from the Municipal Information
Bureau in Glasgow, Scotland says, "Shepley defeats me. as
for Presley, I can only imagine that Elvis, like so many
Americans, has a Scottish Granny". (Shepley is the
Continuation as Shepley from Bellefontaine Road). However,
one of the heirs mentions that Presley comes from Presley Carr
Lane, father of
Dr. William Carr Lane. It is also a river or bay in
- BREAMER: Village in Aberdeen County.
- DUNKELD: Town in Perthshire on the Tay River.
- LOTHIAN: East and West Lothian County.
- PERTHSHIRE: County Central in Scotland.
- CRAMPIAN: A ridge of hills in the central Highlands of
- MOIDART: District located in the Southwestern part of
- BEN NEVIS: The highest point in Scotland, also the
highest point here in Glasgow Village.
- GLEN GARRY: A valley in Inverness County. Also, a glen
garry is a small cap with ribbons on rear side, usually worn
with kilted uniform. Family name Alexander, Clan MacAlister,
MacDonell of Glengarry.
- TRONGATE: Commercial center of Glasgow. Glasgow became a
great commercial center of the world in the 18th Century when
the merchants, know as "Tobacco Lords", did business with the
Colonies in America. The Tobacco Lords marched along the plain
stones, the only paved portion of the Trogate, in
three-cornered hats, scarlet cloaks, and silver mounted
canes. When the Colonies became the United States of America,
the Tobacco Lords faded like smoke. The Trongate still holds
memories of them. Trongate adjoins the commercial center of
- MAC DUFF: Clan MacDuff, who had a law whereby certain
privileges were attached to individuals within nine degrees of
kin to MacDuff. Earl of Fife is regarded as a privilege which
belonged to Clan MacDuff.
SAY NO TO DRUGS
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor to this site since
March 09, 2002
Don E. Wright