Obituaries 1905 through 1908 in the Reed City Clarion.
Mostly Chase Township, but some other Lake County Residents.
Compiled by Shanna Avery [email protected]

1900-1904 |1905-1908 | 1909-1911

Mrs. Martha Stone

Feb 1, 1905

Mrs. Martha Stone died at the home of her daughter Mrs. Carpenter, Monday evening at 8:00.

Daniel McLean

Feb. 8, 1905

Daniel McLean passed away to the Great Beyond at his home in Chase, Friday, the 3rd inst., of pneumonia. Funeral services were held in the M.E. [Methodist Episcipal] Church Wednesday of this week.

Mrs. Fannie Cooper

Feb 8, 1905

Mrs. Fannie Cooper died Sunday morning February 5, 1905 at 2:00 of old age at the home of her daughter-in-law, Mrs. Allie Samis on Upton Avenue. She was 82 years, 6 months, and 23 days. Interment made in Chase Cemetery.

Mrs. Frank Bersley

Feb 8, 1905

The remains of Mrs. Frank Bersley were brought here from Baldwin for burial last week. The remains were laid to rest in the new Cemetery.

George Brown

May 3, 1905

George Brown, who resides two miles North of Hawkins, while out hunting last Wednesday morning, was accidently shot. He had a double barrel shot gun, the one barrel of which already discharged at some passing game and set the gun beside a log. When the other game started up, and upon his anxiety to watch the game, the same time reached for the gun, pulling it towards him muzzle first. It accidently discharged. Here the charge entering the body on the right side just above the liver, taking backward and downward course fracturing ribs and exposing the right kidney. Dr. Bray of Reed City was called at once. Peritonitis set in Thursday morning and death ended his suffering at 3:35pm. The funeral was held Sunday at 2 from the Chase Baptist Church. Although a rough exterior, Mr. Brown had a good true heart and generous nature. He was well liked by neighbors and friends.

Lutie Gordon

May 24, 1905

Killed by Cars

Thursday, May 18 about 11:30 am, Mrs. Lutie Gordon of Chase, was accidently killed by the cars of that place. She was coming from a neighbors and carried Goldie Gordon, a little girl three years of age, and her brother aged six also being with her, and crossed the track in front of the train. They all three barely crossed in safety when her little brother's hat bew off. She turned around to pick it up, and was struck, killing her instantly. The bolt struck her in the corner of her right eye, plowing right through her skull, taking the top of her head off, mangling and bruising her bofy. The brains were scattered for a rod or two along the track. She was dragged about a rod and tossed up in the air. The baby was thrown a number of feet and recieved two large gashes in the forehead, also the skull was crushed in. The little boy escaped unhurt. The father was standing in the door and witnessed the accident. Friends and neighbors gathered as quickly as possible, and everything was done to relieve the suffering of the little one. Dr. Field took several stiches in the wounds. An inquest was held on the body. Funeral services were held at the home on Friday at 2pm, Reverand Stoddard taking charge of the service. Interment was made in the Chase Cemetery. Lutie would have been 21 years of age on June 30. The train was a heavy frieght double header and was making speed for the grade going East. It whistled and rang the bell, and it is not known whether she knew the danger or not, being accustomed to trains living near the crossing. The accident happened at the first switch West of the depot.

Frances Forman McDermand

May 24, 1905

Wednesday, May 17 1905, Mrs. Frances McDermand of Chase passed peacefully in her sleep to be wakened by the Life Giver. Frances Forman was born in New Brunswick Canada March 21, 1834. She was married to Joseph McDermand at Port Burwell Ontario. At age 19 she gave her heart to the Lord and was a Baptist Church member for 40 years, the latest 12 years, a Seventh Day Advent. For the last 11 months she was confined to bed with innflamatory rheumatism. The funeral was largely attended at the Chase M.E. Church on May 20 at 11am. Family came to Michigan for the funeral who haven't seen her in 25 years. She lived on a farm five miles West of Reed City. The farm was sold years ago, then making Chase home.

Martha Jane Mix Hissong

May 31, 1905

Mrs. Martha Hissong died at home in Chase Township May 28, 1905. She was born in Knox County Ohio in March 1835. [Full obituary in Reed City Clarion]

Charles J. Bachant

Jun 28, 1905

Arthur Bachant of Traverse City, Goerge Bachant of Belwood, Mrs. Abbie Grey of Cedar Springs, Mrs. Allie Cooper of Saginaw, were called here by the death of their father, C.J. Bachant who passed away Saturday morning at 8:00. Mr. Bachant lived in Chase about 28 years, being one of the first merchants in town.

Jul 5, 1905

In the morning of June 24, the shadowy curtain which seperates the narrow room we call time from that limitless expanse known as eternity, sweetly opened so softly that ever those near and dear were aware of the spirit of Charles J. Bachant passed quietly to the Great Beyond. He was born in Montreal on September 26, 1835. In his early years securing a liberal education. He then married Miss Sarah L. Moss of Towbridge Ontario. In 1864 came to Saginaw, then Reed City, then located in Chase in 1879. He chiefly followed a mercantile career, always active in public improvements. When the little village he had started in the woods grew and became incorporated the people honored him by electing him first President. After he had took up work which was always a pleasure to him, the spread of the gospel, and labored zealously with both tongue and pen. He spent the last two winters in Alabama. Of his children, two rest beneath the willows in Chase Cemetery.

Mrs. George Arnold

Jul 12, 1905

Mrs. George Arnold passed away last Friday morning. She was ill with consumtion a long time. The funeral was held in her home Saturday at 3. She was buried in Chase.

Amos W. Cotton

Aug 30, 1905

Amos W. Cotton born in Philladelphia Pennsylvania in 1859, died in Chase August 24 1905. He came to Chase during the 80s and has continued to stay there a greater portion of the time and since married Miss Jennie Sample of Chase Christmas 1894. Two children survive him. He was one of those genial, kindly natures, who was a friend to everybody, and everybody was his friend. To know him, one could only honor and respect him for his straightforward and upright dealings with all in financial matters. His word was as good as his bond. The funeral was held at the M.E. Church. [Full obituary in Reed City Clarion]

Aug 30, 1905

A number of Woodmen of Reed City attended the funeral of Amos Cotton, Sunday.

Carlton Burley

Sep 20, 1905

Badly Crushed by the Cars

Carlton Burley, aged 16 years, son of Mr. and Mrs. Barcus Burley of Chase, was so badly crushed while boarding a freight train on the Pere Marquett Rail Road near this city last Thursday morning, died at the Hotel King a few hours afterwards and was buried in the Chase Cemetery, Saturday. The funeral services were held from the M.E. Church in Chase at 2pm, Reverand Allen officiating. The funeral was largely attended. The floral arrangements many and beautiful. The family has the sympathy of the entire community in their sad berevement

Melvin Tanner

Sept. 27, 1905

Melvin Tanner died in Chase on Friday, September 15th, aged 56 years. The funeral was held in the M.E. Church, Sunday afternoon, Reverand Collins officiating. Internment was made in the Chase Cemetery. Charles Tanner of Harbor Springs, brother of the deceased, and Mrs. Nellis Leonard of Milerton, daughter of the deceased, were present at the funeral.

John Dayhuff

Sep 27, 1905

John Dayhuff, who resided two and a half miles South West of Chase, died Monday night at his home, from dropsey amd kidney trouble. Funeral services will be held Thursday, September 28 from the Chase Congregational Church, Reverand Killgore officiating, assisted by G.V. McDonnell, Funeral Director. Curtice Dayhuff and sister, Mrs. Ida Casman of Henessy, Oklahoma, arrived five weeks ago to visit their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Dayhuff,and now the visit is turned to mourning.

Fred Hager

Oct 4, 1905

Fred Hager died in Chase, Friday September 29, at age 27 of typhoid fever. The funeral was held at 2:30 at the Congregational Church with Reverand Collingsbury officiating. Interment in the Chase Baptist Cemetery.

Ida Samis

Nov 29, 1905

Another sweet flower has drooped and faded because of the chilling earth blasts and been transplanted to revive in the fields elysian. Ida Samis closed her eyes for the long rest at home of her father C.W. Samis of Chase on November 18, 1905. Her mother dying when she was a baby. Since spring Ida has been invalid. The funeral was held at the Chase Baptist Church. She has been to the Battle Creek Sanitarian twice during her illness. Ida was passionaltely fond of music and had a beautiful well trained voice. She was 21 years of age at the time of death. [Full obituary in Reed City Clarion]

Ora Bersley

Feb 7, 1906

The funeral of Ora Bersley who died in Baldwin last week, was held Friday at the Congregational Church. Services were in charge of Reverand Iden of Chase and under the Order of Macabees. Interment was in Chase Cemetery. He leaves a wife and three children to mourn their loss. He carried $1000 insurance.

Mr. Keller

March 14, 1906

The funeral of Mr. Keller who died last Thursday was held in the Congregational Church Saturday. A lot of friends and relatives from outside attended. Reverand Iden officiating.

George H. Kilmer

Mar 28, 1906

George H. Kilmer died March 7, 1906. His early duties of the farmer he performed. He stepped out on track to go to fornoon labor, then the arvel blow of the engine and strong man fell to rise no more by his own violation. During a brief season of consciousness the few words spoken gave evidence that he realized the condition. Kilmer was a quiet peacable neighbor, honest man, and faithful Bible student.

P. R. Lacy

Apr 4, 1906 [Full article and memorial in Reed City Clarion]

P.R. Lacy dies in Reed City shoe store fire, along with C.F. Bollacker. The building was in ruins. P.R. Lacy was born in Nirvana April 17, 1881. [son in law to Dr. Fields]

David Sterling

May 9, 1906

David Sterling died at the home of his brother-in-law, John Spears, Sunday at 5pm. Interment was made in the Chase Baptist Cemetery, Reverand Collins officiating.

Martin Mosteller

May 16, 1906

Martin Mosteller died Monday evening at his home near Chase, after an illness of three weeks. He leaves a wife, three sons, and three daughters to mourn their loss. Funeral services were held Wednesday at 2pm. Mr. Mosteller was a veteran of the Civil War. [Full obituary in Reed City Clarion]

Albert L. Lampman

May 16, 1906

Albert L. Lampman died Sunday night. The funeral was held at Chase Baptist Church, Wednesday morning at 10:00. [Full obituary in Reed City Clarion]

Mary [Grandma] Wells

Jul 4, 1906

Mrs. Mary Wells of Chase, died Saturday, July 7th of parylisis of the heart, aged 95 years, 6 months, and 20 days. Funeral services were held from the Chase M.E. Church, Monday. Reverand Allen officiating, assisted by W.H. Smith, funeral director.

Jul 11, 1906

Grandma Wells passed peacefully away at Chase, Saturday evening. She was in her 96th year and has been in good health, and was only confined to her bed a few days previous to her death. She was a consistant Christian, having been a member of the M.E. Church for years. Services held in the M.E. Church Monday at 4, Reverand Allen officiating. Interment made in Chase Cemetery. Frank Bartlett of Detroit, a grandson, attended the funeral.

Kinnikun Randall

Oct 3, 1906

Kinnikun Randall died at the home of Arthur J. Randall of Pinora on September 28, 1906. He was aged 80 and died of pneumonia. Before he died he called his grandaughters to sing his familiar hymns- We Shall Meet by the River, and Jesus Lover of my Soul let me to They Bosom Fly, and as strains of the organ and voices were dying out his spirit took its flight. The funeral was held at the Chase Baptist Church at 3:00. Six sons present were Pall Bearers. [Full obituary in Reed City Clarion]

Earl G. McLean

Oct. 10, 1906

Baby Earl McLean aged 7 months, only child of Mr. and Mrs. Geo McLean, passed away Tuesday, September 24th after a short illnes. Services were held at the home Thursday, at one p.m. by Mr. Pomeroy. Internment being made in Chase Cemetery. The little white casket was covered with white flowers and little Earl looked very sweet lying among them. "God in His infinate wisdom hath deemed it wisest and best, to beckon our white-souled baby away from the world's unrest. We'll kiss our sweet white flower our stainless little one, then give him back to Him who gave "Thy will Oh God! be done."

Emmett Dayhuff

Jan 9, 1907

Emmett Dayhuff, of Chase, after an illness of five weeks, died Monday noon, January 7th, 1907, of diptheria.

Sarah Rogers

Jan 27, 1907

Mrs. Sarah Rogers died at her home on Friday evening, Feb 22d, the funeral being held at the Congregational Church, Sunday, Reverand Collins officiating. Mrs. Rogers was one of the pioneers of Chase Township, and leaves a daughter, Mrs. Ida McLaughlin of Brainard, Minn., a son Arthur who lives here, a brother in Bay City, and a sister in the East part of the state.

William Young

Mar 27, 1907

Wm. Young died at his late home in Chase Township, Lake County, at 12 o'clock Friday night, March 22, 1907, his death being caused by a rupture received in the army. The funeral services were held from the U. B. Church in the town of Barton, Tuesday. His obituary will appear next week.

Apr 3, 1907


Comrade William Young was born in Buffalo, Erie County, N.Y., on Feb. 12, 1838, and departed from this life, March 24, 1906, aged 69 years, 1 month and 12 days. Comrade Young enlisted in the Civil War in 1861, and served his country loyally and faithfully to the close of the war in 1865. During this time he contracted the disease which resulted in his death. He leaves a wife, two sons six daughters, two sisters and one brother to mourn their loss. Services were held from the U.B. Church in the town of Barton, on Tuesday, March 25th. Rev. Edwards officiating. Comrade Wm. Young enlisted in Co. "F," 10TH N. Y. Cavalry in 1861, serving through to the close of the war. He has been a resident of Chase Township, Lake County, for the past 18 years. Previous to the time of his death he was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, being a member of the Hawkins Post and when that Post disbanded he joined Post French in Big Rapids. At the time of his funeral that Post was represented by its Commander, E. C. Moore, also H. Waldo, L. L. Osgood, E. V. Oliver, L. W. June, H. Northrup, W. McGill, D. A. Moore, John Fenning, E. Conklin, Col. Allen, E. Hogle and Ryron Jones. Gen. I.C. Smith Post of Reed City, was represented by Asa Cook and Spencer Fradenberg.

Mrs. (Decker) Shepard

Apr 17, 1907

Mrs. Shepard passed away Saturday night at the home of her son, A. Decker.

Orville J. King

Apr 24, 1907

Orville J. King died at his home in Green Township, April 17th from pneumonia, after an illness of eleven days. The funeral service was held at the U. B. church, in Barton Township. The Mormon Elders were in charge and did the speaking. The church was filled with friends and relatives, who came from far and near to pay their last respects to the departed, and a goodly cortege followed the remains to the place of interment in Chase Cemetery. The deceased was born March 13, 1861, in Bermingham, Oakland County. He emigrated to Lake County with his parents in 1863. Here he resided for 39 years, when he sold his farm, thinking to leave the country, but afterwards changed his mind and settled in Newaygo County, where he lived until one month prior to his death. The deceased was well thought of by all who knew him and a great number of friends mourn his loss. Their love and esteem was shown by the many beautiful flowers, among which was a beautiful pillow of roses and cala lillies from the mill men, a pillow of flowers from the neighbors, also sprays of carnations and geraniums from other friends. He leaves a wife and four children, the youngest being eleven years old.

Carlton Ernest Lampman

Apr 24, 1907

Carlton Ernest Lampman, the infant son of Mrs. Ernest Lampman, died at the home of his grand-parents, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Ringler, one mile West of the Chase Baptist Church, April 17, 1907, aged 4 months and 19 days.

"We loved our tender little one

and would have wished him stay,

But let our Father's will be done,

He shines in endless day."

A frail little sunbeam that brightened its mother's life for only a few months, but long enough to weave a golden chain of love, that could hardly be broken, around the hearts of all in the Ringler home. Its life was one of constant watching for its mother and grandmother Ringler, which only made it nearer and dearer. To you Mrs. Louise Lampman, we, your many friends would drown all your sorrows with our tenderest tears. Only a little while ago your life was full of joy and love and hope and now husband and babe both gone, but let us remember the darkest hour is succeeded by the coming dawn and the brighter day.

Lillian A. Stone

May 22, 1907

A Tribute

No one can measure the giving of one's self, so different is it from other gifts.

The life of Lillian Stone, whose return trip to the invisible shores has just been entered upon, was given to her friends. Self-sacrifice the keynote of her character, giving the rule of her life. Other's needs were more to her than her own and happiness consisted in the success of those near and dear. We remember how faithfully she cared for her invalid mother through long years, cheerfully renouncing social pleasures that she might minister to her. We remember the dutiful service given her white haired father, whose trembling lips are asking: "What will I do without Lillie." We know of her helpfulness to her brothers and sister and the dear children she loved so well. They will miss Aunt Lill., miss the cheery smile and hearty word, and as the years go by there will be but a beautiful memory. No worthier tribute can be offered, no higher eulogy pronounced than the words: "A life of service. Who gives of one's self, thereby adding to the world's supply of truth or beauty or goodness, adds to the stature of his own being." Thus do souls grow, thus is spirit developed. As Lillian Stone lived her life, her soul, constantly receiving accessions kindred to what she willingly gave to others, became of large porportions perfecting itself day by day. To those so near to her may we not say: "That the large gifts she so lavishly showered upon all will form a monument of such surpassing grace and beauty that the world will be better for her having lived."

Mrs. J. H. Knevels

Jun 5, 1907

Miss Lillian A. Stone, who passed to the higher life May 15, 1907, was born at Flint, Mich., on the 14th day of Sept., 1861. In 1870 her parents moved to Holly where she recieved her education in the Holly High School, from which she graduated, residing with her parents at Holly untill 1888 when she and her sister, Mrs. Jennie S. Gordon, moved to Chase where they engaged in the mercantile business and afterwards at Reed City until her mother was stricken with paralysis and rendered helpless in 1892, she devoting all her time for caring for her mother until she passed away in 1904. Since then Miss Stone has cared for her father at their home in Chase, who in his 83rd year feels the loss of his home and the society of his kind and sacrificing daughter, one who has willingly given her life to the care and comfort of her parents and friends. Miss Stone leaves a father and four brothers, Elmer H., of of Grand Blanc; David O., of Greeley, Col., and William A. of East Jordan, and one sister, Mrs. Jennie S. Gordon, of Chase, two sisters having previously gone to the higher life. Miss Stone was buried in Lakeside Cemetery at Holly amid a profusion of flowers on May 17, 1907.

William E. Smith

Jun 5, 1907

Another Pioneer Gone

W. E. Smith, who departed from this life at his home in Chase Township, on Sunday morning, June 2, 1907, was born in Canada, July 27, 1845, and came to Michigan in September, 1869, locating in Lake County, on the farm that he owned and occupied when he died. He was married to Martha Rolston, May 10, 1876, and they immediately went to keeping house in the Village of Chase, and was employed as shingle sawyer in Joiner's mill for a number of years. He quit there to engage in the lumber and tan bark business, which he followed successfully for several years. In 1884 they moved on the farm and remained there until his death. He served his township as treasurer in 1900, 1901 and 1906, and filled that important position of trust with honor and credit to his constituents and declined holding it any longer.

W. E. Smith was an honored citizen, a kind and devoted husband and father, his model life endearing him to his wide circle of friends. He leaves a wife, two daughters, Edith and Edna, Edith being married to H. McChesney, who lives in Reed City; four brothers, J. F. and J. H. Smith, both of California, A. U. of Reed City, C. A. of Lake County; four sisters, Mrs. Sarah McAfee of California, Mrs. Hannah Smis of North Van Coover, Mrs. Mellissa Cornell and Eliza Cornella, both of Copemish, Michigan, to mourn their loss. His remains were laid to rest in the Chase Cemetery, June 4, 1907, Rev. Dr. Ince, pastor of the Baptist Church, officiating.

Florence May Lacy

Jun 26, 1907

Florence May Lacy, the eldest daughter of Francis D. and Eunice A. Lacy, was born at Nirvana, Lake County, Michigan, on March 17, 1884, and died at the home of her parents on June 13, 1907, aged 23 years, 2 months and 26 days.

She supplemented her general school education with a course in telegraphy and pursued the occupation of railroad and telephone telegrapher to the time of her lst illness. By frugality and industry, she accumulated a competence, and her charitable and accomodating disposition won her a host of friends. He business ability and fidelity to duty were regarded by positions of responsibility and remuneration, her last service being as a telegrapher for the Michigan State Telephone Company at Grand Rapids, Michigan. Her associates pay marked respect for her courtesy, ability and cheerfulness in her work, their floral offerings being profuse and beautiful. She reverenced her parents, and was devoted to her brothers and sisters, and purity of lirfe was manifest in every act. She was secretary of her Sunday School class in Grand Rapids, belonged to the Order of Railway Telegraphers, the Rebekahs, and was elected to initiation in the Order of the Eastern Star, the consummation of which was prevented by her untimely death.

She bore the grevious burdens of her last illness with patient endurance and fortitude. A few hours before her death, her sufferings ceased, and she was perfectly conscious. She fully realized the approaching end, welcomed death with a radiant smile, calmly met the inevitable without fear, and in her full mental vigor, spoke freely on matters pertaining to the welfare and comfort of htose survivng her. She sought to console her loved ones regarding their bereavement soon to occur, counselled as to her future, spoke kindly of her telephone and railroad associates, thanked her doctors and nurses, adjusted her business affairs, planned the obsequies, and with perfect calm resigned herself, her last words being, "The Lord is my Shepard." Her death was as beautiful and full of promise as her life, and her loved ones and friends cannot but find consolation in the fact that her upright, active, well spent life, filled as it was, with love, benevolence and goodness, was crowned with such tender solicitude and faith.

The funeral services at the home were conducted by Rev. Kelley of Reed City, who spoke from the text: "The Lord is my Shepard," and Mrs. Kelley rendered beautiful and appropriate musical selections. The Baldwin Lodge of the Order of Rebekahs pronounced their ritualistic service at the grave, interment being at Woodland Cemetery at Reed City. The illness of her father, Francis D. Lacy, Sr., precluded his presence, and distance prevented the attendance of her brother, Rollo G. Lacy of Coleraine, Minnesota. Among those present were her mother, Mrs. Eunice A. Lacy, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur J. Lacy of Clare, Francis D. Lacy, Jr., Miss Nina F. Lacy and Miss Dora M. Lacy of Nirvana, Mrs. Plato R. Lacy of Chase, Reginald M. Longfield of Ionia, Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Mero of Luther, Mrs. Benjamin Marrett, Miss Bessie Barrett and Mrs. Mary Houstin of Baldwin, Mrs. Lizzie Merrill of Woodville, Mrs. Nellie Loree of Chase, and Miss Agnes Schiffer of Big Rapids.

Mrs. Olive Bush

Jul 17, 1907

Mrs. Olive Bush died at her home here, Monday morning. She leaves a husband and two children. The funeral was held at the Congregational Church, Mr. Pomeroy officiating.

Rodney John Rogers

Jul 24, 1907

Rodney John Rogers was born in Point Au Sable, Mich., March 16, 1872, and died at Lilley, Mich., on Wednesday, July 17, 1907, of pneumonia, aged 35 years, 4 months, and 1 day. The deceased leaves a wife, six children, father, mother and one brother to mourn their loss. The funeral was held from the United Brethren Church, Rev. J. E. Edwards officiating. The remains were laid to rest in the Chase Cemetery.

Francis D. Lacy

Jul 31, 1907

Francis D. Lacy was born at Bennington, Genesee Co., N. Y., May 5, 1838, and died at Nirvana, Lake Co., Michigan, on July 28, 1907, aged 69 years, 2 months and 23 days, death due to arterial sclerosis, superinduced by the nerous shock sustained by the sudden death of his son, Plato Ray, in March, 1906. From the burden of this overwhelming sorrow, he never recovered, and rendered his last year pitiful in the extreme.

He was married on Nov. 7, 1872, to Eunice A. Stevens, who survives him, and to whom were born eight children, Herbert E., Arthur Jay, Rollo Guy, Plato Ray, Florence May, Francis Delos, Jr., Nina Ethel and Dora Myrtle, all of whom excepting Herbert E., Plato Ray and Florence May, survive hi,. and who were present at the obsequies, excepting Rollo G., who lives in Coleraine, Minn.

His most amiable quality was his love for his family. Denied the fulfillment of his ambition for wealth, he reaped his full measure of joy from the comfort his family gave him. He was ambitious for their welfare, prosperity and honor and their progress seemed his greatest pleasure.

Mr. Lacey's life labors touched a wide range. He was successively a teacher, magician. editor, lecturer, author, lumberman and farmer. He was industrious, but severe misfortunes in the form of fires, at critical junctures, denied him tht measure of financial success, to which he aspired.

He was a man of Sterling integrity, but more a student than business man, a genius without application, a philosopher more ethical than practical, and an inventor withal. He wrote several volumes along scientific and moralistic lines, innumerable poems, essays and articles which betrayed wit, ability, and a high moral quality, but as a rule his writings were too highly charged with moralisms and ethical allusions, to meet the popular demand. However his many children's poems are attractive and delightful. As he neared the end, he was perfectly clear, and his departure was calm and resigned.

Rev. S. E. Kelley of Reed City, conducted the funeral services at the home. Interment was made at Woodland Cemetery, Reed City. Among those attending the funeral were: Mrs. A. J. Lacy of Clare, Mr. and Mrs. V. E. Lacy of Detriot, Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Mero of Luther, Mrs. G. T. Field of Chase.

Christina Kilmer

Aug 28, 1907

Mrs. Christina Kilmer died at the home of her son Joseph near the Baptist church in Lake County, on Sunday morning, Aug. 25, 1907, at 3 o'clock aaged 87 years. The funeral services were held today, from the Chase Baptist Church, at 2 p. m., Rev. E. A. Ince officiating.

J. J. Tanner

Sep 11, 1907

Chas. Tanner of Harbor Springs, attended the funeral of his brother, J. J. Tanner, who died last Friday. Services were held in the Congregational church on Sunday.

Gerald Rufus Adams

Oct 23, 1907

Gerald Rufus Adams was born at Benton Harbor, Oct. 17, 1906, and died at Chase, Oct. 6, 1907, after an illness of five days, of pneumonia. The funeral services were held at the Chase Baptist Church, Tuesday, Oct. 8th, Rev. E. Collins officiating. The Chase Congregational choir rendered the familiar pieces, "Safe in the arms of Jesus" and "When He Cometh to Make up His Jewels." Maud Kilmer and May Walcott carried the the little white casket, which was covered with beautiful flowers, to the grave where our darling shall rest until the ressurection morn. The floral offerings were profuse and beautiful, and represented the many loving hearts from which they emanted---a love that can never die. Among the relatives and friends in attendance were Mrs. Arthur Smith of Mancelona, Mrs. M. Willsie of Caro, and Ray Wheaton of Benton Harbor.

Herman Frederick Plack

Oct 23, 1907

Herman Frederick Plack, an old and respected resident of this city, died at his late home on West Lincoln Street, Saturday morning, Oct. 19th, after an illness of about three weeks, aged 67 years and 14 days. The deceased was born in Germany on Oct. 5, 1840, and was married to Miss Minnie Beilfuse on Nov. 21, 1865. Eleven children---five boys and six girls---were born to them. In 1883 Mr. Plack and his family came to America, locating on a farm near this city where they resided until about three years ago when they moved to town. The deceased leaves a widow and six grown up children to mourn his death, three boys and two girls preceding their father. The children are Mrs. Matilda Marzolf of Saginaw, Mrs. Lena English of Buffalo, N. Y., Mrs. Ida Blank, Miss Minnie Plack, Herman and Walter Plack of this city.

The funeral wsa held at the St. Paul Lutheran Church, Tuesday afternnon at one o'clock, Rev. Wm. Asall officiating. The remains were interred in Woodland Cemetery.

The following relatives from out of town were in attendance at the funeral: Mr. and Mrs. English of Buffalo, N. Y., and Mrs. Matilda Marzof of Saginaw.


Oct 23, 1907

The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Tracy died Ot. 15th, of pneumonia. The funeral was held at the Catholic Church in Reed City, Tuhrsday, Fr. Shoemaker officiating. (Olivers News)

Jesse Ackerman

Dec 18, 1907

Jesse Ackerman died at his home near Hawkins, Dec. 10, 1907, aged 74 years, 4 months and 22 days. Comrade Ackerman was born at Pitcher, Saratoga County, N. Y., July 18, 1833. In 1862 he enlisted in the late war of the Rebellion, and after serving a years he was wounded and recieved an honorable discharge, returning home in June, 1863. The following February he moved with his wife and daughter from Ravenna to Lake County, and settled on the farm where he died.

He leaves a sorrowing widow, one daughter, Mrs. Cora L. Shattuck of Big Rapids, and one son, Bert Ackerman, with whom he resided at the time of his death. Also two grandchildren, Mrs. Josie Warren of Huron, S. D., and Master Kenneth Bert Ackerman, and two great grand-children, Laura Gwynne Warren and Kieth Shattuck Warren.

The funeral services were held from his late residence on Thursday, Dec. 12th, at 2:00 p. m., conducted by the Rev. E. A. Ince, under the auspices of the G. A. R., as pall bearers. From the Chase Baptist Church to the grave the services were conducted by the Reed City Masonic Fraternity.

Hannah M. Salisbury Dillingham

Jan 8, 1908

Hannah M. Salisbury was born in New York State, May 30, 1838, and came with her parents to Calhoun County, Mich., when a child. She was married to Philip Dillingham on Jan. 24, 1861. In 1880 they sold their farm in Calhoun County and moved on a farm 3 1/2 miles South West of Reed City. Four children were born to them, three of whom are now living. The eldest daughter, Minnie, died in 1885. Mrs. Dillingham was a kind and loving mother, a hard worker and a good neighbor. At the time of her death, Jan. 4, 1907, she was nearly 70 years old.

Henry Hissong

Jan 15, 1908

Henry Hissong died Dec. 30, 1907, at the age of 79 years, 1 month and 20 days. "Gone but not forgotten." There will be a vacant chair, but what is our loss is his gain of a beautiful home on high, and we fully think he died in peace with his Saviour.

"Dearest father, thou hast left us.

Here our loss we deeply feel;

But 'tis God that hath bereft us,

He can all our sorrows heal."

Henry Hissong was born in Bedford County, Pa., in 1828, and was raised in Knox County, Ohio. He was married in 1852 to Martha Jane Mix, at North Liberty, Ohio. Seven children were born to them, three of whom are deceased. He came to Michigan in 1866, and settled in Lake County on a homestead when it was a vast forest. Mr. Hissong enlisted in Co. "E," 102nd Ohio Vol. Infantry, on Aug. 1, 1862. His wife died two years ago, since which time he has lived with his son. Grandpa Hissong, as he was called, made the first chairs and bedsteads made in Big Rapids, and the bedsteads are in use yet.

The deceased was a member of Steedman Post G. A. R., of Reed City, and he was pleased with the flowers the G. A. R. ladies sent him. In spite of his old age he went to Bladwin to the fair in October. He was a good Christian man, a good husband and a kind father. He leaves four children and several grand children to mourn their loss.

We wish to thank the friends and neighbors for their kindness during the sickness and death of our father.

Henry Hissong died at his home in Chsae Township, Lake County, Dec. 30, 1907. He was born in Bedford County, Pa., on Nov. 10, 1828, and moved with his parents when a small boy to Knox County, Ohio. In 1852 he marrried Martha J. Mix, at North Liberty. Seven children were born to them. Three children and his wife preceded him in death, four remaining to mourn the loss of a dear father. No, we would not wish for him back in this world of suffering. We will meet you dear father, bye and bye. In 1863 he heard the call for volunteers, so he left his wife and three babies and answered the call by enlisting in Co. "E," 102nd Ohio Vol. Infantry, and served until the close of the war. Returning home in 1866, he decided to come north to take up a homestead and located in Chse township, Lake County. Returning to Ohio he bid his friends and relatives farewell, and taking his wife and three children, Justus L., Martha A. and Emma E., started for the Northern wilderness, coming to Iona by rail, thence by stage to Big Rapids, which wsa then a small burg. They lived there 1 1/2 years and then moved north to their home in a little log house. Two more children came to gladden their home, Frances E. and Trusman L. As time went by, a G. A. R. Post was organized at Hawkins, of which he was a charter member. The post disbanded and he came to Reed City and joined Steedman Post G. A. R., where he was dearly loved to meet with the comrades.

We wish to thank the G. A. R. ladies for the beautiful boquet of carnations they sent our dear father in his late sickness. He said they spoke more than words to comfort him. We also wish to thank our kind neighbors for their sympathy and assistance during his sickness and burial.

T. L. Hissong and Wife

Mrs. Allie Samis

Mrs. S. Fradenburg

Mrs. John Toman

Martha Thompson

Feb 19, 1908

Mrs. Martha Thompson, beloved mother of Mrs. Geo. Pierson, died at the latter's home near Chase, on Monday night, Feb. 10, 1908, aged 63 years, 8 months and 10 days. She was a great sufferer during her sickness. The funeral services were held Thursday, Fb. 13th, from the Chase Baptist Church, Rev. E. A. Ince officiating. The deceased was born in Creemore, Ont. Her three sons were in attendence at the funeral, W. J. Davidson and Nathaniel Thompson of Chicago, and R. J. Thompson of Pa Paw, Mich.

Sarah E. Phillipps Spaulding

Mar 11, 1908

And sudden indeed came the sad news that Mrs. Sarah E. Spaulding, wife of Adna Spaulding, who preceded her a few years ago, had passed away to the Realms Unknown, from whence no traveler returns. After only a short illness of one week, she died at her late home in Chase Township, Lake County, at four o'clock Thursday morning, March 5, 1908, of congestion of the lungs and heart trouble, aged 64 years, 11 months and 12 days. She was born March 23, 1843 at Lima, Livingston County, N. Y. She bore the intense sufferings of her last illness with much patience. Her upright, active, well-spent life, filled as it was, with love, benevolence and goodness, was crowned with such tender solicitude and faith. She was loved by all who knew her, and she will be greatly missed in this community.

The funeral services were held at her home, Thursday afternoon at three o'clock, Rev. E. A. Ince officiating. The remains were taken to Armada, Mich., Friday morning on the early train, accompanied by her brother, J. A. Phillipps, and nephew, James Glasbie of Jackson, where interment was made in the family cemetery.

She leaves to mourn their loss, her adopted daughter, Miss Edith Spaulding; two sisters, Mrs. Clara Samis of Cordova, Md. and Mrs. Glasbie of Bay City; also two brothers, William Phillipps of San Bernardino, Cal., and J. A. Phillipps of Jackson, who attended the funeral, and her nephew Jas. Glasbie of Jackson, was also in attendance at the funeral, besides many relatives.

There is no death, She only sleeps,

She sleeps to wake in strength once more,

To walk in beauty with the Lord,

To join the loved ones gone before.

We miss her so. The way is dark.

We cannot see beyond our woe;

We hush our breath, but cannot hear

The angels voices soft and low.

Yet we can trust and we can waite

Until God's voice shall banish pain,

When we shall meet within the gate

The loved one face to face again.

Louisa Thompson Vanderhoof

Apr 15, 1908

Louisa Thompson was born in Indiana, Nov. 11, 1837, and died at her home in Reed City, April 10, 1908. When very young she came with her parents to Michigan and settled near Grand Rapids. She was married to S. P. Vanderhoof in 1854, and after living a several places, they finally moved to Reed City, where they were residing at the time of her death. She was the mother of ten children, four boys and six girls. One of the boys and one of the girls died some years ago. Those living are Mrs. Stephens of Grand Rapids; Mrs. Curry, of Ottawa County; Floyd, of Cadillac; Leonard of Olivers; Martin, of Chase; Mrs. Johnston, of Maryville; Miss Mary, of Detroit; and Mrs. Pace, of New York City. She also has twenty-nine grandchildren; two brothers, Stephen Thompson of Newaygo, and Wallace Thompson of Lansing; three sisters, Mrs. Mary Kentrill of Grand Rapids, Mrs. Wm. Knapp of Greenville, and Mrs. Maggie Aseldine.

Mrs. Vanderhoof united with the Methodist Church when young and was a faithful member of the same as long as she lived. For some years she was an invalid and was not able to attend divine worship, and while she was resigned to the conditions which she could not change, yet she always expressed a desire to be at the house of God. Her life was a beautiful one, and in her quiet, unobtrusive way she wielded an influence for good, not only upon those of her own home, but upon those who, in some manner, she was associated with. God only knows the good she did; we have no way of measuring it, but some day it will be known. She leaves, not only these children to mourn their loss, but a loving husband, upon whom will fall the blow most heavily.

The funeral services were held from the M. E. Church., Monday, April 13th, conducted by Rev. F. L. Niles, and she was laid to rest in beautiful Woodland Cemetery. The pall bearers were composed of her sons, grandsons and one son-in-law.

The following relatives from abroad were in attendance at the funeral: Alva Vanderhoof, Hartwick; Martin Vanderhoof, South Boardman; Mrs. Homer Pace, New York City; Mrs. Milo Stephens, Grand Rapids; Mrs. Carrie Curry, Ottawa County; Miss Mary Vanderhoof, Detroit; Mrs. Martha Johnston, Marysville; Martin Vanderhoof, Chase; Floyd Vanderhoof, Cadillac; Leonard Vanderhoof, Olivers.

Barcus Burley

Apr 22, 1908

Barcus Burley died very suddenly on Monday, April 20th, at the home of his brother Noah, in Chase. After eating his dinner he told Mrs. Burley he wanted to lie down a little while, and about one o'clock he expired from heart trouble.[Note: Served on Chase Township Board]

Absolum Bectel

May 13, 1908

Absolum Bectel of Chase, died Friday, May 8th, from the effects of a rapidly growing tumor, aged 66 years. The funeral services were held Sunday, the 10th inst., from his late home. Burial took place in the Chase Baptist cemetery. Rev. Collins of Hersey, officiated.

Delia Averill Gilbert

May 27, 1908

Delia Averill was born in Plymouth, Mich., Dec. 2, 1849, and died at ther home near Reed City, May 20, 1908. When four years of age, she moved with her parents to Ottawa county. She lived there until sixteen years ago, when she came to Reed City, residing near here until her death.

She was married to Armenus Gilbert on June 26, 1868, at Ravenna, Mich. They were the parents of eight children, two of whom preceded their mother in death. The oldest child, Arthur, of Escanaba, died in 1901, and Mrs. Laura Simmons of Casnovia, in 1903. The surviving children are Mrs. Arthur Whitesell of Ravenna, Mrs. Warren Wooster, Mrs. Frank Samis, Mrs. Ernest Samis, Mrs. Ray Orcutt and Roy Gilbert, all living near Reed City. She is also survived by seventeen grand-children and two brothers, Horace and Frank Averill, of Harrisburg, Mich.

The sweetest words in the world are "home" and "mother." Again death has invaded the home and broken one more link in the circle of love by taking the devoted wife and loving mother, and God only knows the heart aches which ensue. Mrs. Gilbert was a great sufferer for several months, but bore it all with great patience. She gave evidence of her trust in the Saviour, and died with a prayer upon her lips for the loved ones left behind.

We, as neighbors and friends, extend our most sincere sympathy to the bereaved family, and point them to the loving Father, who doeth all things wisely and well.

The funeral services were held at the Chase Baptist Church on May 22nd, Re. W. A. Allen of Reed City, officiating. Besides the immediate family, the following relatives were in atendance: Mr. and Mrs. Ezra Spencer and Mrs. Fred Weber of Grand Rapids, Mrs. John Gilbert of Conklin, and Albert Fryback of Ravenna.

"The golden gates were opened wide,

A gentle voice said "Come."

And angels from the other side

Welcomes our loved one home."

Hannah Hollenbeck

Mar 27, 1908

Mrs. Hannah Hollenbeck died at her home in Chase, on Friday, May 22nd, of apoplexy, aged 68 years. Funeral services were held from the Congregational Church in Chase, Sunday afternoon at three o'clock, Rev. Collins of Hersey officiating. Burial was made in the Chase Baptist Cemetery.

Clarence Adelbert Decker

Jun 3, 1908

Struck by Lightening

C. A. Decker, who resided in Pinora Township, Lake County, North East of Chase, was struck by lightening during the electircal storm, last Wednesday evening, and was killed almost instantly. The funeral services were held Friday afternoon from his late residence, Rev. Iden officiating. The deceased leaves a sorrowing wife to mourn his death. His age was 43 years.

Lizzie Onetta Samis

Jun 3, 1908

Lizzie Onetta Samis was born April 25, 1907, and died May 28, 1908, aged 1 year, 1 month and 3 days. She leaves her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Earnest Samis, a brother and sister to mourn her death. The funeral was held Sunday, Rev. W. A. Allen officiating. Ethel Briggs and Sylvia King, cousins of the deceased, carrying the flowers. The remains were laid to rest in the Baptist Cemetery, and her parents hope to meet her on that bright and happy shore.

There was an angel band in Heaven

That was not quite complete;

So God took our darling Lizzie

To fill the vacant seat.

Rebecca Dishon Messenger

Jun 10, 1908

Rebecca Dishon was born in Harrisonville, Pa., May 1st, 1847, and died at Chase, Mich., June 7, 1908, aged 61 years, 1 month and 6 days. At the age of eleven years, she went with her parents to Indiana, walking the entire distance of 600 miles. She was married to Wm. Messenger in 1868, and moved to Ashtabula County, Ohio, in 1869, and came to Michigan in 1871, living at Farwell one year, and came to Chase in August, 1872, when this was an entire wilderness, and has lived here ever since. She was a wonman that always worked hard and looked well to her domestic duties. She was the mother of two children, who with her husband, survive her. Funeral services were held from the Chase Congregational Church, Tuesday afternoon, Rev. E. Kelley of this city, officiating. Interment was made in the Chase Cemetery.

Hans Madison

Jul 29, 1908

Hans Madison, the well-known cidermaker and blacksmith of Hawkins, died very suddenly Saturday at about 9:30 p. m., as he was about to retire for the night. He had been in good health up to the time of his death. He leavs a loving wife, two daughters and one son to mourn their loss. Funeral services were held from his late residence at 2:00 o'clock p. m., Tuesday, Rev. J. E. Edwards officiating. Interment was made in the Davenport Cemetery.

Aug 5 1908

Hans Madison was born in Norway, March 15, 1857, and died at his home in Hawkins, Mich., on July 25, 1908, at eleven o'clock p. m., aged 51 years, 4 months and 10 days. He was married to Miss Amelia Tobiason in 1876 in Norway. He came to Michigan in 1882, where he has since made his home. He leaves an aged father and mother and three sisters in Norway, a brother and sister in North Dakota, and a devoted wife, son Anker and daughter Lydia, of Hawkins, and daughter, Mrs. Davidson of Big Rapids, and grand-daughter Mary, whom they have raised from infancy, and a host of friends who mourn their loss. He came to Hawkins about 11 years ago and engaged in the blacksmith business. He was of a jovial disposition and a very kind hearted man. The funeral was held at his residence on Tuesday, July 28th, at 2o'clock p. m. The services were conducted by Rev. Edwards of the Barton U. B. Church. H. I. Dresher of Big Rapids, was the undertaker. The funeral was largely attended. His many friends extend to the bereaved family their heart-felt sympathy.

A precious one from us has gone,

A voice we loved is stilled;

A place is vacant in our ome,

Which can never be filled.

God in His wisdom has recalled

The one His love has given;

And while the body slumbers here,

May his soul rest in Heaven.

George Wheaton

Sep 9, 1908

Rev. W. D. Ellis of South Boardman, ws called to preach the funeral sermon of George Wheaton, who died Aug. 30th. while here Mr. Ellis called on his many friends and relatives. (Olivers News)

Lochlan (Lockey) McLean

Oct. 21, 1908

Lockey McLean, an old resident of Chase, died at the Manistee Hospital on Saturday, the 10th inst. The remains were brought here on the Monday morning train, and buried at 3p.m. The funeral was held from the Congregational Church, conducted by Reverand A.J. Iden.

Laughlin McLean died at Mercy Hospital, Manistee, last Saturday. The remains were brought here Monday for burial. The funeral was held at the Congregational Church, conducted by Rev. A.J. Iden.

Jane G. Luce

Oct 28, 1908

Mrs. Jane G. Luce, wife of Andrew Luce, who resides two miles North and one mile West of Hawkins, died at the home of her son, Frank A. Luce, in Lake George, Clare County, Friday, Oct. 16, 1908, of consumption, aged 61 years, 6 months and 22 days. The deceased was born in Whitesville, Allegany County, N. Y., March 24, 1847. She was married to Andrew Luce, after which they came to Lake County in 1886, where she resided up to, within four weeks previous to her death. She leaves a husband, three sons and one daughter. Mrs. Luce has been afflicted for the past five years with that dreaded disease, consumption, and patiently bore her affliction during her sickness. She was a member of the United Brethren Church. The remains were brought here from Lake George, Monday, Oct. 19th. The funeral services were held at the Chase Baptist Church, Monday afternoon, Rev. W. A. Allen officiating. Interment was made in the Eichenberg Cemetery.

Lewis J. Bowman

Oct 28, 1908

Lewis J. Bowman was born in Macomb County, Mich., Oct. 28, 1839. When 12 years old he moved to Oakland County, where he lived until Nov. 1907, when he came to reside with his son, Stewart Bowman, of Pinora Township, Lake County. Two weeks before his death he was taken to the C. B. A. hospital at Grand Rapids for medical treatment, where he died Oct. 18, 1908, being 68 years, 11 months and 24 days old.

He leaves three sons, John and Winfield of Grand Rapids, and Stewart of Pinora, and one daughter, Henrietta of Detroit. One daughter preceded him in death. He also leaves one sister, Marie Chase of Rose Center, and two brothers, Seldon Bowman of Rose Center, and John Bowman of Flint.

Funeral services were held at Zion Church, Tuesday, Oct. 20th, Rev. W. A. Allen of Reed City, officiating. Interment was made in the Pinora Cemetery, with H. Wood of Reed City as funeral director.

Grandpa Bartlett

Nov 4, 1908

Grandpa Bartlett died Saturday morning, about 10 o'clock. The funeral was held Sunday afternoon, from the Congregational Church, Rev. Collins of Hersey, officiating. Interment in the Chase Cemetery.

John Kearns

Dec 10, 1908

Comrade John Kearns was mustered out of the Grand Army of the Republic, and passed over the divide from which no soldier was ever known to return, on Thursday night, Dec. 10, 1908, at nine o'clock, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. John Kurtz, in Lincoln township, from old age. He was born March 28, 1829, in County Galway, Ireland. At the time of his death he was 79 years, 8 months and 8 days old. The deceased came to Reed City in the fall of 1871, where he resided for seven years, after which he went out on the farm of John Kurtz, his son-in-law, where he has since resided, his wife having preceded him in death a number of years ago. The deceased leaves to mourn their loss, four sons and one daughter, Timothy, of Washburn, Wis; Patrick, of this city; Michael of Rhinelander, Wis.; James, of Sand Point, Idaho, and Mrs. John Kurtz of this city. All of whom were in attenndance at the funeral expecting Timothy of Washburn, Wis.

Comrade Kearns enlisted in the army of the rebellion for the preservation of the American Union, in Dec. 1863, in Co. "M," 10th Mich. Cavalry, along with Judge of Probate Isaac Grant in the same regiment, under the command of Gen. I. C. Smith of Grand Rapids. Riding with Smith and Grant all theough the celebrated Stoneman raid through North and South Carolina, Kentucky and Tenessee---in all over 5,000 miiles. No better, truer and braver soldier ever rode a horse than John Kearns.

Funeral services were held from St. Phillips Church, Monday, Dec. 14th, at Monday, Dec. 14th, at 10:30 a. m., Rev. Father Shoemaker officiating. The remains were interred in the Catholic Cemetery.


Copyright © 1999-2016 by Jan Tripp.All rights reserved. This site may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without my consent.
Last updated  04 June 2012