Jackson County Michigan USGenWeb Queries

Jackson County Michigan USGenWeb Reference

This page contains obituary transcripts. It is one of a series of pages.


Albert I. Ayres

HORTON LOCAL Thursday, 4 Aug, 1921

Hanover, Michigan

Albert I. Ayres was born in Monroe County, New York Sept. 13, 1851, and died at his home near Horton, Mich., July 26, 1921 aged 69 years, 10 months and 12 days.

The deceased was one of a family of six children of Albert C. (G.) and Lovina Niles Ayres who came from New York State in 1853, settling upon this farm which has been the home of Ayres family all these years.

December 31, 1874, Albert I. Ayres was united in marriage to Miss Adelia Fowler, a young lady who lived in this vicinity and whose ancestry dates back to the early settlement of Hanover Township, the grandparents settling one mile west of Hanover village. Mr. and Mrs. Ayres had no children of their own but adopted a daughter, who at that time was six years of age, and who today mourns the loss of a kind and loving father.

The deceased was a man of unpretentious ways, thoroughly sincere and genuine in character and imbued with that integrity which knows no shadow of turning. He worked earnestly and indefatigably to provide a competancy sufficient for all their needs, and in all the relations of life he held the unqualified confidence and regard of his fellow men. He was kind and charitable in his judgment, was a good neighbor and a devoted husband and father.

Mrs. Ayres will continue to reside in this beautiful homestead which is endeared to her by the memories and associations of the past.

Mr. Ayres was a member of Hanover Lodge F & AM and the O.E.S.

Thus a good man has passed to his reward after a long life of usefulness, leaving his estimable wife one daughter; two sisters, Mrs. Hattie Peterson of Summit and Mrs. Lillian Duggan of Jackson, one grandson and a large number of other relatives and friends to mourn his demise. A life long friend.

Submitted by Judy Moulton


Clara Compton Tripp

HANOVER LOCAL - 29 Aug 1902

Hanover, Michigan

Died at home three miles west of Winfield, Cowley Co, Kansas, at 9:40 p.m. August 24, 1902, Clara Compton beloved wife of Seth Tripp formerly of Horton.

The deceased was the second daughter of the late John, and Catherine Compton of this place, also a sister of the late Susan Cornett, and Barnum Compton whose home is here. She was born at Dunkirk Chatauqua Co., N.Y. Aug 11th 1855, and two weeks before her death passed her forty seventh birthday upon which date she was extreemly worse, and her eldest son Claude who was with them in Oklahoma on business, was telegraphed for and came home immediately. She suffered for two weeks longer when death came to her relief. She leaves a husband and four children to mourn the loss of a loving and devoted wife and mother, and whose hearthstone is now desolate. Claude, her eldest son who is well known here, was the idol of his mother. The attachment between mother and son was of the fondest dearest type. No matter how far he was from home, or surrounded by youthful companions a loving message was expected from him every week nor looked for in vain. Now he cherishes only happy recollections of her who has gone. Lottie (Mrs. Loren Brooks) her only daughter, though only in here sixteenth year has devotedly cared for her mother during her long painful illness.

A very capable girl, she has ever proven herself the pride and prop of the family in the hour of need. May she continue in that home now darkened by sorrow, where the light and devotion of a woman’s love and presence I so sorely needed. Lawrence, a lad of thirteen years and Pearl a boy of six will sadly miss a mother’s love and care. God gives us but one mother. Among the blest in relins above, where partings are unknown. Oh! May they meet their mother there, no more to weep alone.

Her dying words of love and hope, they will cherish ever more. Within the hearts she held so dear though now so sadly sore. Monday morning her aged mother Mrs. Compton accompanied by Mrs. Edward Tripp was at the depot ready to charter the approaching train on a trip to visit the dying one. As the news of the telegram announcing her death was telephoned to them. Shocked by the sad news and feeling that all was over, the train passed on, and the grief stricken ones turned sadly away to their homes, as a second telegram announced that a speedy burial was imperative. Though we could not reach the bedside to receive the blessings of that dear and dying one. We will surely revere her memory and emulate her virtues. She possessed stirling business qualities and was social and loving. Nearly two years ago she and little Pearl were here on a visit, returning to Kansas Nov 13. She was then apparently in the best of health with all that makes life dear and sweet. Shortly after reaching home they paid a visit to some Kansas friends and while there she received a slight injury which resulted in the development of a cancer. She commenced treatment for cancer Jan 27th 1901. She also went to the Neoodesha Infirmery to be treated, returning from her first operation there just one year before her death. She subsequently returned there two or three times to be operated upon. She wrote us that it was torture in the extreme. At last she tried Christian Science, but to no avail. Seemingly all that could be was done to save her but her malady was incurable. She was married to Seth Tripp in Jackson, July __ 1872, in her seventeenth year. They lived about here until March 1886 when they became pioneers of the place where they have since resided. She leaves a lovely home and a loving family besides many friends here, as well as there. She was ever ???????????????

Submitted by Judy Moulton


Delia Maria Pomeroy Pratt


Hanover, Michigan

Mrs. Edward Pratt, who resided in the south part of this village, and who has been sick for some time, succumbed to the grim destroyer – death – Sept. 22. She suffered with a complication of diseases and although she had the best of care and attention nothing could be done to save her. She was 63 years of age. Her maiden name was Delia Maria Pomeroy and she was born at Poultney, Vermont, April 14, 1832. The deceased was married to Edward Pratt, who survives her, December 26, 1856. They lived at Centre White Creek, New York until 1871, when the family moved to North Hoosac, New York, where they lived one year. In 1872 they came to Michigan and settled at Flint; subsequently moved to Hanover in 1873, where they have lived since. To them were born three children – Edward H. of this village; Henry M. of Dundee, Illinois, and George, who died in infancy. Mrs. Pratt was a loving mother, affectionate wife and a kind neighbor. She was a Christian, having united with the Baptist church when 16 years of age.

The funeral occurred at the M.E. church ____day afternoon, a large concourse of neighbors and friends were in attendance. Rev. Wm. Cook preached the sermon and the remains were interred in the cemetery close by.


Submitted by Judy Moulton



Hanover Local - 30 December 1899

Hanover, Michigan

George W. SNOW, aged 68 years, 8 months and 8 days passed to the higher life December 5th, in the village of Hanover. He was born in the city of Rochester, NY, March 27, 1831, and came to Michigan with his parents in May 1852. He being the oldest of ten children, was soon engaged in the shoemakers’ trade in Jackson. At the age of 23 he was married to Mary Hotaling. Two children were born to them, Elizabeth Stevens and Peter Snow, now living in Hanover.

In ’67 he went back to New York, his native state where he resided two years. He then came back to Michigan and went to Indiana, where he worked in several cities in that state and Ohio. In 1872 he was again married to Emma Mead, of Horton. He settled in the village of Hanover where he has since lived. Three children came to bless this union, two girls and a boy, Clara, Ida and Wright. The two little girls died of diphtheria at the ages of two and four and were buried in the Horton cemetery where (he) was laid to rest beside them.

Two years ago he was taken with Bright’s disease and since that time has been a great sufferer. He had knowledge of the higher life and for him death had no terror. He leaves a wife, two sons and a daughter to mourn his loss.

Submitted by Judy Moulton


Leonard Rogers


Hanover, Michigan

Died at his home in Horton, on Friday, July 6th, from heart failure, Leonard Rogers, aged 81 years. He was born August 26th, 1814, in Otsego County, N.Y., where he resided until eighteen years of age. He was a member of the state militia. He began life for himself at 21, working on the Erie canal for thirteen years. Mr. Rogers came to Michigan about the year 1843, working on farms on shares for five years in this county, after which he bought 100 acres on section 14, Hanover township, which he has since made his home. A log house was his first dwelling here. In 1831, he celebrated his wedding with Miss Lucinda Loomis, who died during the same year. In 1834 he was again married, to Miss Sallie Ann Ryon, who shared his fortunes until May 16, 1873, when she was called from time to eternity. Ten children were the result of this marriage, of whom five are now living: Harriet Ann is the wife of Thomas Goff, of Pulaski Township; Jane married William Mitchell and lives in Horton; Ellen, the wife of Herbert Caldwell, of Jackson; Mary married Wells Dew whose home is in Hanover village; and Minnie, wife of Harry Knickerbocker, of Spring Arbor township. A third matrimonial alliance was contracted by Mr. Rogers in April, 1875, on which occasion he became the husband of Mrs. Olive Montgomery (nee Mead) who has since passed away. This marriage resulted in the birth of one son, Wm. T. in 1877. Mr. Rogers was a Mason, being a member of the Blue Lodge of this village. He was a staunch Democrat, an unassuming, reliable citizen and an intelligent farmer. The funeral was held from the residence under Masonic rites, Rev. Wm. Cook of Hanover, officiating.

Submitted by Judy Moulton


Louisa Hayden Horton

Hanover Local - Thursday, 16 March 1916

Hanover, Michigan

Mrs. John Horton, age 77 years, 3 months, 18 days, died at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Soule, Hanover, Saturday, eve at 8:30. The funeral occurred at the house Tuesday, March 14 with interment at Horton.

Louisa B. Hayden was the daughter of Lawrence and Louisa Hayden and was born in Canada, Nov 24, 1839. July 6, 1866, she was united in marriage to John N. Horton. In 1870, they came to Michigan and since that time resided in Hillsdale and Jackson counties. She leaves, besides a husband, a daughter, Mrs. Eugene Soule and two sons, G.N. of Montgomery and T.R. of Jackson and a sister, Mrs. B.F. Mills of Bankers.

Submitted by Judy Moulton



HORTON LOCAL - Saturday, 11 NOV 1899

Hanover, Michigan

Lyman E. SPARKS, who died at Jackson, Mich. Oct 26, was born May 11, 1832 in Chautauqua County, NY.

At the age of one and one-half years, his father’s family emigrated to Huron County, Ohio, where he was married to Miss Lovisa E. Baker, November 1, 1857. To them were born five children, three of whom survive him. Frances E. Edmonds, of Jackson, born Feb 9, 1859; Wm. A. born March 3, 1861, died at Hudson, Stuben County, Indiana, Sept 7, 1869; George L. of Horton, born Dec. 5, 1862; Roxie E. Perkins of Jackson, born June 29, 1864; Betsey L. born Oct 18, 1867, died Oct 3, 1878 at Columbia, Williams County, Ohio.

In Sept., 1883, they came to Horton to reside, and have lived in Jackson County ever since.

He was the second son of Wm. A. and Betsey R. Sparks. Two sisters, Mrs. A. A. Woodruff of Milton Center and Mrs. O. O. Vosburg of Portage, both of Wood County, Ohio, are left of a family of five children.

He was a veteran of the Civil War and a pensioner. He enlisted at Logansport, Indiana, Oct 20, 1862 under Capt. Black of the 20th Ind Volunteers Co. K, 4th Corps and 3rd Division. He was in the battle of Fredericksburg, where on the nights of Dec 12 and 13, 1862, his division stood all night waist deep in water keeping the Confederates from crossing the river, and on the morning of Dec 14 they were detailed to build a pontoon bridge across the Rappahonnock and on the 14th marched victoriously into Fredericksburg.

He was taken prisoner at Kelley’s Ford, March 17, 1863, by Confederate sharpshooters, while he was assisting in spiking the artillery. After spending sixty days in Andersonville prison he was exchanged May 20.

At the second day’s battle of the Wilderness he was wounded in the right side, from the effects of which he has suffered ever since.

He was at the battle of Antietam where the streets grew red and slippery with gore. He was honorably discharged July 20, 1865,

The picture of his beloved wife, which he carried through the war, is still preserved – a loved memento of the past on war’s ensanguined field.

Although in precarious health himself, yet owing to the recent illness of his wife, he visited the doctor’s office on October 24, the last time he ever went out, and soon after was taken with peritonitis, growing rapidly worse until October 26 he breathed his last surrounded by his wife and children.

The funeral, which was largely attended, was held at his home in Jackson, J C Upton officiating. His remains were interred in our beautiful Horton cemetery in the presence of G.A.R. men, though owing to the inclemency of the weather the usual ceremony was omitted.

Thus one by one the old veterans are passing away, let us trust, to life’s eternal camping ground, where their silent tents are spread, and we with filial love will guard the bivouac of the dead.

Submitted by Judy Moulton

Return to the Jackson County Michigan USGenWeb Project Homepage

Steve Shiley