||Miss Mary L. Carter teaches 9 students
during the summer in a cooper shop.
||School is moved to the second floor of the
"Miller Building" at the corner of Water and Second Streets.
Teaches a total of 21 days for the school year.
||First school building is built. Addison F.
Fletcher is the school director.
||Union School District is organized.
||Union School is built on White Street. The
building is later renamed Central School. Other schools are being built,
one on the north side of town and one in "Campbellville".
the spring of 1883, 4 students completed requirements for graduation and
became the 1st graduating class from Alpena High School. The
Alpena Board of Education writes to University of Michigan asking that
AHS be accepted for diploma relations.
||The High School is accredited with
University of Michigan.
||Central High School is built at a cost of
$31,800. When first opened, 4th, 5th and 6th
grades were taught on the first floor and high school classes are taught
on the second.
||Athletics are added sometime around the
turn of the century. The 1902 yearbook, "The
Oracle" includes photos of a football team, baseball team and a
girl’s basketball team. Local football games are
played at the Fairgrounds. Basketball is handicapped by a lack of a gym
in any school and games are played in the Old Armory, located on
Chisholm Street between Second and Third Ave.
||AHS is accredited with North Central
||Early in the decade the Dunbar Street wing
is added. It contains a Study Hall seating 320 students, a stage, 4
classrooms, library and office for the school nurse.
||A gymnasium wing is added to the high
||The Board of Education votes to transport
athletes to and from games. A public address system is installed in the
study hall with half of the funds coming from the H-Y Club. Vocational
guidance is started for the first time.
||On April 14, the high school burns, yet
within 10 days classes resumed in quarters provided in Memorial Hall,
the Boys Club, the Civic League and the American Legion.
||In September the new high school building
||Contracts for high school additions are
Gymnasium wing, Science wing, Cafeteria wing are completed and the Music
||The second floor of the Music Wing is
completed. This area includes vocal music rooms, rooms for speech and
dramatics as well as a small theater.
||Sanborn School becomes the first country
school to be annexed into the Alpena School District. Other surrounding
schools follow suit, creating a county wide school system. In the past,
students wanting to continue their education through high school either
had to board with a friend or family member in Alpena, or have adequate
transportation to attend high school in the city. Now, all county
students could attend high school and be bussed to school.
||A committee is appointed to develop a new
high school to meet the needs of an expanded system.
||The new high school is opened and the 1st
class graduates in June. The school is located on 71 acres on the north
side of Third Street between Bagley and Garden Streets. The old building
becomes a junior high school.
||Black Friday, October 16th,
Alpena Public Schools closes and locks the doors after running out of
money to run the system. A millage election re-opens the doors but many
offerings, including athletics and bussing are eliminated. Sports
programs are re-funded by "booster" groups raising funds for
the activity. Bussing and athletics are slowly added to the school’s
curricula in the following years.
||In June a bond issue is passed to build
additions on to the high school. Included in the plans is a
Graphic art room, expansion of the cafeteria and a new "G"
wing that would include a child care center and the agriculture
||A new g-wing is added and a large childcare
building is now used. The small commons has become a classroom. Lunch
periods have been changed from three to four.