Wayne is located 20 miles west of Augusta, and borders on the Androscoggin
County town of Livermore. The current population is about 1,100. Wayne
reaches further west than any other section of Kennebec County, and in
fact laps two miles over the western boundry of the Kennebec Purchase.
Thirty Mile River was a waterway used by Native Americans and pioneers as they traveled from the Androscoggin River to the Sandy River Valley. Since Thirty Mile River flows directly through Wayne, these bodies of water fall within Wayne's borders. They include: Androscoggin Lake, Pocasset Pond, Pickerel Pond, Wilson Pond, Lovejoy Pond, Berry Pond, Dexter Pond and the Dead River.
The first pioneer, Job Fuller, came to this area about 1773, and settled near the head of Wilson Pond. He named his new home New Sandwich Town after his town of origin, Sandwich, Massachusetts. Not far behind Job Fuller came several others, many of whom also originated in Sandwich, Mass. on Cape Cod.
On February 12, 1798 New Sandwich Town was incorporated as Wayne, named in honor of Revolutionary War hero General Anthony Wayne.