Vienna is located 8 miles from Farmington, the Franklin County seat, and 25 miles from Augusta our state capital. It is the most northwesterly town in Kennebec County, and the smallest with a population of 450. Within Vienna's boundaries fall several small ponds: Egypt, Whittier, Black, Davis, Kidder, Boody and Kimball as well as the much larger Parker Pond and Flying Ponds. It is not any wonder why nearly half of the houses in Vienna are seasonal. Many of our famous Maine wild blueberries are picked on Davis and Vienna Mountains, spots from which pickers enjoy spectacular views of the Kennebec River Valley. The old Methodist church on Seavey Corner Road looks much the same today as when it was built nearly 200 years ago, complete with hanging oil chandeliers. The Vienna town house, located about 1/2 mile northwest of the village, is on the National Register of Historic Places. Vienna village is quaint and picturesque, her people warm and friendly with lots of community spirit!
Early Settlement & Incorporation
In 1782 a tract of land was purchased from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
for about 10 cents per acre. The land tract was approximately 6 miles north
to south and three miles east to west, and was purchased by Nathaniel Whittier
of Readfield, formerly of Salisbury, Mass, and his brother-in-law Jedidiah
Prescott, Jr. a land surveyor. Whittier, Prescott and another brother-in-law,
Capt. Osgood, surveyed the tract into lots, giving each a number. After
setting apart ministerial lots they sold lots to settlers. In 1786 the
first settler came to clear his land & to build a log cabin. Thus,
the town of Vienna was born.
According to historian Irving Bradley, S. Withee came to Prescott and Whittier Plantation in 1786, cleared his land, and built a log cabin. The following year John Thompson and his wife came from Londonderry, NH and settled near Mason's Corner. Mrs. Thompson was the first white woman to live here, and spent a great deal of time alone since there were no roads, but only spotted trails through the woods. She named her new hometown Goshen by which it was known for several years. The nearest settlement to the south was Bishops Mill and Hopkins tannery at the outlet of Minnehonk Pond in Mt. Vernon. Farmington Falls was five miles to the north, where a sawmill, gristmill, fulling and carding mills had already been established. According to Bradley, Mr. Thompson and Withee worked in Farmington Falls at this time.
Between 1786 and 1802 more settlers followed and in 1800, 35 inhabitants of this place - then called Wyman Plantation - petitioned the General Court of Massachusetts for incoprporation representing the Plantation to contain 60 taxable polls. Daniel Morrill of Salisbury, Mass. was selected to furnish the name for the new town. On February 20, 1802, Vienna was incorporated the 132nd town in the Province of Maine.