Seventh Maine Regiment Infantry

Seventh Maine Regiment Infantry

This Regiment was organized at Augusta, Me., Aug. 21st, 1861, to serve three years, and left for Baltimore, Md., on the 23d, where they encamped and remained until the 25th of October.

On the evening of the 9th, they moved up the Peninsula towards Richmond, participating in the engagement at Mechanicsville

On that day they moved to Washington, crossed the Potomac into Virginia on the 8th of November, and were occupied in drill, camp and picket duty, until the 4th of April, 1862, when they joined the advance towards Richmond.

They were under the fire of Fort Lee on Warwick Creek on the 5th, and afterwards participated in the siege of Yorktown, holding a position near Dam No. 3, until the evacuation of the place by the enemy.

On the 5th of May they bore an honorable part in the battle of Williamsburg.

On the evening of the 9th, they moved up the Peninsula towards Richmond, participating in the engagement at Mechanicsville on the 24th, and immediately after the battle of Fair Oaks; moved to the left bank of the Chickahominy, to Golding’s Farm, where they remained during the month of June, almost daily engaged with the enemy.

On the 27th the army commenced to change its base of operations, during which the regiment participated in the battles of Savage Station, White Oak Swamp and Malvern Hill, after which they remained at Harrison’s Landing building fortifications until the 13th of August, when they embarked for Alexandria, and from thence proceeded to Bull Run, but did not participate in the battle which commenced on that day.

The next day they joined Gen. Pope’s forces at Centreville and retreated with them to Washington.

On the 7th of September they joined in the Maryland campaign, participated in the engagement at South Mountain on the 14th, and bore an honorable part in the battle of Antietam on the 17th, losing in killed, wounded and missing, 11 officers and 100 enlisted men, out of 15 officers and 166 enlisted men present.

The strength of the regiment had, by this time, become so much reduced, that it was too small for effective field duty, and it was sent to Maine in October to recruit.

The regiment encamped at Portland, where they remained until Jan. 21st, 1863, engaged in filling up their diminished ranks.

On this day a battalion of five companies, which had been filled by consolidation, left Portland for the field, and on the 25th they rejoined their old command, 3d Brigade, 2d Division, 6th Corps, at White Oak Church, Va., where they remained encamped until April 28th, when they moved to the heights opposite Fredericksburg, and on May 2d formed a part of the storming party which carried the enemy’s works on Cemetery and St. Mary’s Heights.

They were also engaged with the enemy on the 4th near Chancellorsville, where a desperate battle had been fought the day before. Their casualties in those engagements were in killed, wounded and missing, 4 officers and 88 enlisted men.

They participated in the Pennsylvania campaign, and were present at Gettysburg on the 2d and 3d of July, after which they joined in the pursuit of the enemy; had an engagement with Stuart’s cavalry at Gainsville, Va., on the 19th of October, and participated in the action at Rappahannock Station Nov. 7th.

On the 27th, they were in line of battle until 10 P. M., supporting a portion of the 3d Corps in the action at Locust Grove, and advanced to Mine Run on the 26th, where, during the three succeeding days, they were in front and constantly engaged with the enemy’s outposts.

They returned and encamped at Brandy Station on the 3d of December, and there remained until Mat 4th, 1864, when they crossed the Rapidan and engaged in the battle of the Wilderness on the 5th and 6th; also at Spottsylvania on the 10th, 12th and 18th, on which day they suffered severely, having 42 men killed.

On the 1st of June they reached Cold Harbor, where, on the 3d, they charged on and carried the enemy’s fortifications, which they held until the 13th, and then marched towards Petersburg, where they arrived on the 17th, and participated in the attacks on the Weldon Railroad on the 24th and 30th.

On the 11th of July the regiment debarked at Washington, and on the 12th was engaged in the defenses of the city, and assisted in the defeat of the enemy in its nearest approach to the capital.

On the 13th, they marched up the Potomac and through Snicker’s Gap to the Shenandoah, returning to Washington on the 23rd.

On the 26th, they again started up the Potomac, crossing at Harper’s Ferry on the 29th, and marched to the vicinity of Charlestown, where they remained until Aug. 21st, 1864, when their original term of service having expired, the re-enlisted men and recruits were consolidated with the battalions of the 5th and 6th Regiments, retaining the designation of the 7th Regiment until; October, when it was changed to the 1st Veteran Volunteers.

The officers and men whose term of service expired Aug. 21st, 1864, returned to Maine, where they were mustered out and discharged the U. S. service Sept. 5th, at Augusta, Me., by Capt. C. Holmes, U. S. Army.