 This Regiment was organized at Augusta, Me

2nd Maine Cavalry

This Regiment was organized at Augusta, Me., from Nov. 30th, 1863, to Jan. 2d, 1864; and Jan. 11th, having been assigned to the Department of the Gulf, commenced leaving Augusta for Portland, for the purpose of embarking on transports for New Orleans, La.

Companies A and D, and about half of G, being the only portion of the regiment which had arrived at New Orleans, were, on the 16th of April, ordered to proceed to Alexandria, La.,, where they arrived on the morning of the 21st, and being assigned to duty with the 3d Cavalry Brigade, participated in the engagements at Cherryville Cross Roads, Marksville, Avoyelles Prarie and Yellow Bayou, and rejoined the regiment at Thibodeaux, June 1st.

The main body of the regiment arrived at New Orleans, in detachments, on the 18th, 19th, 22d and 23d of April. On the 9th of August, the regiment embarked at New Orleans for Pensacola, Fla., arriving on the 11th, and encamped near Barrancas, employed in fatigue duty, besides taking part in quite a number of raids, to Marianna, in September, and to Pollard, Ala., in December.

During the year, the regiment lost by deaths one officer and 278 enlisted men.

On the 23d of Feb., 1865, Lieut. Col. Spurling, with 300 men, attacked the enemy in considerable force at Milton, Fla., and after a sharp encounter, completely routed them.

On the 19th of March, the regiment joined Gen. Steele’s command, concentrated at Pensacola, preparatory to the movement which resulted in the capture of Mobile and the opening of the State of Alabama to the advance of Federal Troops.

During the whole campaign, the regiment rendered efficient service, had several encounters with the enemy, destroyed a large amount of railroad and other property, besides opening communication with Gen. Canby, besieging Spanish Fort, and capturing a large number of the enemy.

After the fall of Mobile, a detachment of the regiment was assigned to the 16th Army Corps, being the only Cavalry with that body of 30,000 men. The detachment did efficient duty during the long march of nearly 200 miles to the city of Montgomery, Ala., In August the detachment was ordered to return to Florida, and rejoined the regiment at Barrancas.

The regiment was then broken up and small detachments were stationed at various points throughout Western Florida to preserve harmony, and to suppress any insurrectionary movements that might take place.

By the 1st of December, the entire regiment was concentrated at Barrancas, and mustered out of the U. S. service on the 6th by Lieut. E. M. Schryver, Assistant Commissary of Musters. Twenty-five commissioned officers and about 116 enlisted men were mustered out and discharged in Florida, to become residents of the South, making oath of their intention to remain there, and receiving from the government, mileage in lieu of transportation.

The remainder of the regiment, comprising 14 officers and 500 enlisted men, embarked on the 8th for Augusta, Me., where they were paid and finally discharged on the 21st.