Sixteenth Regiment Infantry

Sixteenth Regiment Infantry

This Regiment was organized at Augusta, Me., August 14th, 1862, to serve three years.

Left for Washington on the 19th on the 19th, and there remained encamped until the 7th of September, when, having been assigned to Taylor’s Brigade of Hooker’s Corps, they proceeded to Frederick, Md. And from thence to Rappahannock Station, Va.

While there, they were transferred to Duryea’s Brigade of Reynold’s Corps, and on the 23d arrived at Brooks’ Station on the Acquia Creek and Falmouth Railroad.

On the 13th of December they took an honorable part in the battle of Fredericksburg, losing in killed, wounded and missing 226 men - nearly fifty per cent.

On the 14th they recrossed the Rappahannock River, and encamped near Fletcher’s Chapel, where they remained until the 28th of April, 1863, when they took part in the Chancellorsville campaign, and were in position on the extreme left of the army, at Fitz Hugh’s Crossing, three miles below Fredericksburg, until the 2d of May, on which day they marched to the extreme right of Chancellorsville, and on the 5th recrossed the river, encamping near White Oak Church.

On the 12th of June they proceeded towards Pennsylvania, arriving at Gettysburg on the 1st of July, and then were engaged with the enemy every day until the 4th.

 At the close of the 4th, all that remained for duty of two hundred anf forty-eight, officers and men, who entered the engagement on the 1st, were two officers and fifteen enlisted men.

This remnant of the regiment participated in the pursuit of the enemy, reached Rappahannock Station on the morning of the 26th, and there remained encamped until the 1st of August. They afterwards participated in the movement to the Rapidan, retreating from the latter place, with the army, on the 9th of October.


They also participated in the movements against the enemy at Mine Run, and on the 30th of November formed a part of the charging column intended to storm the enemy’s works, but the orders being countermanded, they returned to Kelly’s Ford on the 3d of December, thence on the 24th proceeded to Mitchell’s Station, where they remained encamped until April 26th, 1864.

On the 4th of May they crossed the Rapidan at Germania Ford, and bivouacked near Wilderness Church.

On the 5th, 6th and 7th they engaged the enemy at that place, and on the 8th participated in a charge on the enemy’s lines at Spottsylvania Court House. Their loss in killed, wounded and missing was nearly 100 men.

On the 10th they participated in the charge upon the enemy’s lines at Laurel Hill, and lost 50 men, killed and wounded.

On the 23d they crossed the North Anna River, at Jericho Ford, and then took part in the engagement which occurred there.

On the 24th they occupied and destroyed the railroad, remaining in the vicinity until the 26th, when they recrossed the river and proceeded to Mangohick; thence, on the 28th, down the Panmunky River to Hanovertown, where they formed in line of battle and erected breastworks.

On the 30th, they reported to Gen. Lockwood, and took position near Bethesda Church, where they remained, engaged in skirmishing and throwing up entrenchments, until the 5th of June.

On the 16th they crossed the James River, and advanced to near Petersburg.

On the 17th, they supported the 9th Army Corps; participated in an assault on the enemy’s works, which was partially successful, and gained possession of the Norfolk Railroad.

On the 18th of August they took an active part in the attack and capture of the Weldon Railroad, losing a number of officers and enlisted men taken prisoners, and thirty wounded.

They remained in position at the "Yellow House" until the 25th, when, with their division, they were withdrawn to the rear as a reserve.

On the 15th of September they made a successful reconnoissance in the direction of the South Side Railroad; and on the 16th were assigned to garrison Fort Wadsworth, on the Weldon Railroad, which they occupied until the 5th of December, when they moved to the Jerusalem Plank Road.

In the meantime the 2d Company of Unassigned Infantry, organized at Augusta, Me., September 23d, 1864, to serve one year, joined the regiment, and was assigned as Company A.

On the 7th of December they formed a part of the expedition to the Weldon Railroad and participated in its destruction, returning to their position near the Jerusalem Plank Road on the 12th, and there remained, performing the usual routine of camp duty, until the 5th of February, 1865.

On the 6th and 7th of February they participated in an engagement near Hatcher’s Run, losing 3 men killed, 60 wounded and 11 missing, and returned to their camp near the Weldon Railroad on the 11th.

On the 31st of March they participated in the battle of Gravelly Run, losing 1 man killed, 4 wounded and 24 missing, and on the 1st of April in the capture of the enemy’s works near the South Side Railroad, their casualties in the latter engagement being 1 man killed and 12 wounded.

On the 2d of April they joined in the pursuit of Lee’s forces to Appomattox Court House, where they remained until the 15th, when they proceeded towards Manchester.

They remained at Manchester until May 6th, and on that day left for Washington, D. C., where they remained encamped at Ball’s Cross Road until June 5th, when in compliance with orders from the War Department, the regiment was mustered out of the U. S. service by Captain Walter F. Chesley, Assistant Commissary of Musters, and on the 6th of June placed en route for the State Rendezvous, at Augusta, Me., where the men were paid and finally discharged.

The officers and men whose term of service did not expire prior to October 1st, 1865, were transferred to the 20th Me. Vols.