1748 Joseph Small 1831
- Joseph Small, b,Truro MA
August 1748 son of Taylor and Thankful (Ridley) Small: d
- Bowdoin 18 February 1831 at the age of 83 y (Hix Small
cem): m Harpswell 29 March 1773 Mindwell Purington
b Scarboro 16 April 1748 dau of Joshua and Mary Purington. She d
Bowdoin 15 March 1833 at the age of 85y. Joseph served in
the Revolutionary War . (DAR Patriots Index). See
page # 718 (Soldiers, Sailors, and Patriots of the Revolutionary
War - Maine ISBN; 0-9607188-3-4)
- Joshua, b 16 January 1774:
d Bowdoin 10 March 1835 at the age of 61y 2m:
- m 30 December 1797 Margery Toothaker, b Harpswell 3 May
1780, d Fort
- Wayne IN. October 11,1862.
Anna, b 23 February 1776
Taylor, b 03 May 1778: d.
Bowdoin 1829 at the age of 51 years. m. Oct. 30, 1804 Ruth Lincoln b. 1780
d. Sept. 6, 1867 at 86 yrs 6 mos. Both buried Hix Small Cemetery, Bowdoin,
- Joseph, Jr.,b 29 August 1780:
d Decatur Il. "at an advanced age": m 1806 Margaret
- Duncan of N.S. They moved to Ohio between 1817-1820.
(See Joseph Jr.Below)
- Mary, b 02 March 1783: d
Parma OH 22 September 1830: m 1804 Jessie Nicholas,
- b 06 May 1784. They moved to Ohio between 1815-1820.
Lois, b 23 April 1785: m Ebenezer
- John, b 12 January 1787:
d 06 July 1872 at the age of 84 y, m. 18 December 1814
- Nancy Gillespie b. 1797 d 01 October 1872 at the age
of 74y 9 mos. Both buried Woodlawn Cemetery
- Bowdoin, Maine.
Hannah b 12 October 1789
- Joseph Jr. Small moved from Maine to southern Ohio with
his wife Margaret
- (Duncan)Small bet.1817-1819 he is listed on the 1820
Clermont County Ohio Census
- before they moved north to Parma, with other Maine "neighbors"
Joseph Small Jrs.Sister: ...............Mary Small, was
the wife of Jessie Nicholas
Joseph Small Jrs.Niece: .......Thankful Small, was the
wife of Amos Hodgman (Hogan)
Joseph Small Jrs.Niece: ...................Sarah Small,
was the wife of Asa Emerson
- Joseph Small Jr. moved from Ohio, date unknown, and died,
Decatur, Ill. "at an advanced
- age" no date given.
The History Of Cuyahoga County
- Under Parma The settlement of the township was very slow
until late 1821,when there was
- an important accession in the families of ASA EMERSON,
AMOS HODGMAN ,JESSE
- NICHOLAS, JOSEPH SMALL, and William Steele. These families
had been neighbors in
- Maine and in 1817 had removed together to the West; having
all settled, though separately,
- in southern Ohio. They kept up communication with each
other and, becoming dissatisfied
- with their location in that region, they agreed to move
up north to "greenbrier". In 1821 they
- accordingly entered the township in company.
- The first marriage ceremony was celebrated at the house
of JOSEPH SMALL, when his
- daughter Lois was wedded to Emphraim FOWLS of Middleburg.
An attendant upon the
- occasion states that he event, although a novel one in
the township, was an exceedingly
- quiet one.
- Under Rockport The first school district in the township
was set off May 1826.In this district
- was Benajah Fay,Samuel Freeman, Thomas Adams,John Hodgman,
- JOSEPH SMALL,Peter Countryman, ASA EMERSON, JESSE NICHOLS,
and Peletial Bliss.
and Rebecca (Grover) Small Photo Album
Family Links PagesBowdoin
Surname Researcher PageBowdoin
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive]
visitor since September 19, 1998
This page is maintained by C.
LaRue and last updated
Monday, 10-Sep-2018 16:39:39 MDT
Copyright © 1997 - 2000