On March 24, 1633, took the "Oath of Supremacy and Allegiance, thus enabling him to leave London, England and take the Vessel "Mary And John" (Robert Sayres, Master). He was first mentioned in the Ipswich, MA, town records where, On February 5, 1637 he was granted six acres of land on which he built a house. He was also granted house and farming lots in Salisbury on October 29, 1639. In 1640 Ladd was one of the 12 men who constituted the first white settlers of Pentucket (Haverhill), MA. His house in Haverhill was in the village, his planting lots were in two different locations while his meadows were in seven different locations. In 1659 Daniel Ladd, with Theophilus Shatswell, built a sawmill on the Spiggot (Spicket) River. It was constructed within what are now the city limits of Salem, New Hampshire, and was the first mill erected on that stream. For the "privilege" they were required to pay the town five pounds per year. Daniel Ladd's principal occupation was farming and he also was involved frequently in land sales and exchanges. He served in various town positions, and was a selectman in 1668.
The above was abstracted from Chase's History of Haverhill.
Return to Biographies Return to Haverhill home page