Llangattock Lingoed Genealogy: Directories

Directories

Early Information on Occupation

There are a few early references to people's education and training for an occupation.

1672-1683 Charles Morgan Admitted to the Inner Temple on 23 October 1672; called to the bar in 25 November 1683. (Inner Temple Admissions)
1691 William Powell "William Powell, gent., third son of Thomas P. of Poole Hall, co. Monmouith, gent., deceased" admitted to Gray's Inn, 1 August (Gray's Inn Admission Register)
1722 David Anthony

Deed of Apprenticeship: 1. William James, son of Andrew James, par. Llantillio Gressenny, 2. David Anthony, par. Langattock Lingoed, taylor, Philip Griffith., par. Lantillio Gressenny, gent.3. William Powell, Anthony Powell: William James is to become an apprentice taylor to David Anthony for 7 years and he is to receive £4 towards James' s maintenance (November 2 1722) (Powell's Free School, Llantilio Crossenny Deeds: Gwent RO: D1005.127, p.26)

1787-89 Henry James Student at Cheshunt College, Cambridge [a foundation for Methodist and other dissenting clergy] (Edwin Welch, Calendar and index of Cheshunt College archives, Swift, 1981)

 

 

 

 

 

 


Post Office Directory of Monmouthshire and South Wales 1871

LLANGATTOCK LLINGOED is a parish and small village, distant 166 miles north-west from London, 7 north-east from Abergavenny, 3 east from Llanvihangel railway station, 15 north-east from Pontypool, and 21 north-east from Newport, in the hundred, union and county court district of Abergavenny, Abergavenny rural deanery, Monmouth archdeaconry, Llandaff diocese, and Canterbury province. The church of St. Cadoc is an ancient Gothic stone building; it has a nave, chancel, and tower with 3 bells. The register dates from the year 1696. The living is a rectory, value 175 yearly tithe rent-charge, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held by the Rev. John Price M.A. of Jesus College, Oxford. There is a National Endowed school for boys and girls. There are some stone quarries; the stone is very good, and used for building purposes. The Earl of Abergavenny is lord of the manor, and he, with Lieut.-Col. Vaughan and Crawshay Bailey esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is clay and sand; subsoil, heavy clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, apples, with much pasture land. The area is 1,927 acres, gross estimated rental, £1,854; rateable value, 1,650; and the population in 1861 was 200.

Letters through Abergavenny, which is the nearest money order office.

National Endowed School, Miss Sarah Powell, mistress.

Price Rev. John M.A. [rector]
Barrell Richard, farmer, Cfngola
Broad John, farmer
Brown William, farmer
Brown William, farmer, Upper Kellie
Davies Joseph, shopkeeper
Davies Walter, farmer, Hendre
Evans Alfred, farmer
Griffiths William, blacksmith
Gwillim Samuel, farmer, Great house
Hunter Samuel Thos., farmer, Old court
James Thomas, farmer, Pant farm
Johnson David, Farmer, Great Pwll hall
Jones Eleanor (Mrs.), farmer, Lower Kellie
Morgan Sophia (Mrs.), farmer, Little Kellie
Parry John, farmer, Tump
Powell John, farmer, Park farm
Powell John, wheelwright, Cwm
Powell Joseph, farmer, Pen-y-Rheol
Sayce Charles, farmer
Walters William, Carpenters' Arms
Watkins Adam, farmer, Penrose farm
Williams Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Green farm
Williams James, farmer, Cwm farm


CLICK HERE
for the Post Office Directory 1871 for the whole of Monmouthshire and South Wales


Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire and South Wales 1895

LLANGATTOCK LLINGOED is a parish and small village, 3 miles east from Llanvihangel station on the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford section of the Great Western railway, and 7 northeast from Abergavenny, in the Northern division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Abergavenny, rural deanery of Abergavenny, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff. The church of St. Cadoc is an ancient building of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: between the chancel and nave is a beautiful rood screen of the date of Henry VI. The church plate includes a chalice and paten of hammered silver, the latter forming a cover: there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1696. The living is a rectory, yearly tithe rent-charge £173, average £128, gross income £100, net 85, with residence and 16 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1894 by the Rev. George Beynon Jones B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter. There are some quarries of very good stone, much used for building purposes. The Marquess of Abergavenny K.G. who is lord of the manor, and Reginald Vaughan esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is clay and sand, subsoil, heavy clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, apples, with much pasture land. The area is 1,927 acres, rateable value, 1,457, the population in 1891 was 181.

Post Office.- Joseph Davies, sub-postmaster. Letters through Abergavenny arrive at 9.15 a.m.; dispatched at 3.20 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Llanvihangel Crucorney is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 4 miles distant

National Endowed School (mixed), erected in 1848, for 50 children & since enlarged 1887; average attendance, 40; & supported in part by an endowment of 400 bestowed in 1849 by James Davies, formerly of Devauden, to whose memory a tablet was erected in the chancel of the church, George Rumbol, master.

Jones Rev. George Beynon B.A. (rector), Rectory
COMMERCIAL
Blick Harriett (Mrs.), farmer, Kellea
Davies James M., farmer, Great park
Davies John, farmer, Cross Ways
Davies John, farmer, Little park
Davies Joseph, shopkeeper. Post office
Davies Thomas, farmer, Old court
Davies Thomas, farmer, Up. Kellea
Davies William, farmer, Hendre
Dew Thos C., farmer, Old shop
Johnson Robert, farmer
Jones William, farmer, Tump
Jones Thos. farmer, Little Campstone
Jones Saml., farmer, Pen-y-Rheol
Jones Eleanor (Mrs.), farmer, Lower Kellea
Preece Simon, farmer, Penrose farm
Price Job, Great Cwm
Rumbol Geo. schoolmaster, School ho.
Thomas David, Carpenters' Arms P.H.
Watkins George, farmer, Pwllaca
Williams Edward, farmer, Pentra


CLICK HERE
for Kellys Directory 1895 for the whole of Monmouthshire and South Wales


Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire 1901

LLANGATTOCK LLINGOED is a parish and small village, 3 miles east from Llanvihangel station on the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford section of the Great Western railway, and 7 northeast from Abergavenny, in the Northern division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Abergavenny, rural deanery of Abergavenny, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff. The church of St. Cadoc is an ancient building of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: between the chancel and nave is a beautiful rood screen of the date of Henry VI. The church plate includes a chalice and paten of hammered silver, the latter forming a cover: there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1696. The living is a rectory, net yearly value 85, with residence and 16 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1894 by the Rev. George Beynon Jones B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter.

There are some quarries of very good stone, much used for building purposes. The Marquess of Abergavenny K.G. who is lord of the manor, and Reginald Vaughan esq. of Glen Trothy, Llantillio Crossenny are the principal landowners. The soil is clay and sand, subsoil, heavy clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, apples, with much pasture land. The area is 1,944 acres, rateable value, 1,436, the population in 1891 was 181.

Post Office.- Joseph Davies, sub-postmaster. Letters through Abergavenny arrive at 9.15 a.m.; dispatched at 3.20 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Llanvihangel Crucorney is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 4 miles distant

National Endowed School (mixed), erected in 1848, for 50 children & since enlarged in 1887. Average attendance, 47, & supported in part by an endowment of 400 bestowed in 1849 by James Davies, formerly of Devauden, to whose memory a tablet was erected in the chancel of the church; Jonathan Badcock, master.

Jones Rev. George Beynon B.A. (rector), Rectory
COMMERCIAL.
Blick Harriett (Mrs.), farmer, Kellea
Davies James M., farmer, Great park
Davies John, farmer, Cross Ways
Davies John, farmer, Little park
Davies Joseph, shopkeeper. Post office
Davies Thomas, farmer, Old court
Davies Thomas, farmer, Upper Kellea
Davies William, farmer, Hendre
Husbands Robert, farmer, Great Cwm
Johnson Robert, farmer
Jones Samuel, farmer, Pen-y-Rheol
Jones Eleanor (Mrs.), farmer, Lower Kellea
Jones William, farmer, Tump
Preece Simon, farmer, Penrose farm
Thomas David, Carpenters' Arms P.H.
Watkins George, farmer, Pwllaca
Williams Edward, farmer, Pentra


CLICK HERE
for Kellys Directory 1901 for the whole of Monmouthshire


Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire 1914

LLANGATTOCK LLINGOED is a parish and small village, 3 miles east from Llanvihangel station on the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford section of the Great Western railway, and 7 northeast from Abergavenny, in the Northern division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Abergavenny, rural deanery of Abergavenny, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff. The church of St. Cadoc is an ancient building of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: between the chancel and nave is a beautiful rood screen of the date of Henry VI. The church plate includes a chalice and paten of hammered silver, the latter forming a cover: there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1696. The living is a rectory, net yearly value 85, with residence and 16 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1894 by the Rev. George Beynon Jones B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter.

There are some quarries of very good stone, much used for building purposes. The Marquess of Abergavenny K.G. who is lord of the manor, and Reginald Vaughan esq. of Glen Trothy, Llantillio Crossenny are the principal landowners. The soil is clay and sand, subsoil, heavy clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, apples, with much pasture land. The area is 1,944 acres, rateable value, 1,436, the population in 1891 was 181.

Post Office.- Joseph Davies, sub-postmaster. Letters through Abergavenny arrive at 9.15 a.m.; dispatched at 3.20 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Llanvihangel Crucorney is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 4 miles distant

National Endowed School (mixed), erected in 1848, for 50 children & since enlarged in 1887. Average attendance, 47, & supported in part by an endowment of 400 bestowed in 1849 by James Davies, formerly of Devauden, to whose memory a tablet was erected in the chancel of the church; Jonathan Badcock, master.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Hartridge Montague, Pen-y-Rheol (postal address, Llanvihangel Crucorney
Jones
Rev. George Beynon B.A. (rector), Rectory

COMMERCIAL
Baylis Thomas, farmer, Great House
Baylis Gilbert, farmer, Pentra

Davies Ann, farmer, Crossways
Davies Emily (Mrs.), farmer, Hendre
Davies Thomas, farmer, Penrose frm
Davies Thomas, farmer, Up. Kellea
Davies Warren, farmer, Old court
Husbands Robert, farmer, Great Cwm
Johnson Walter, farmer
Jones Albert, farmer, Tump
Jones Allan, farmer, Pwllaca
Jones Blanche (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Jones James, farmer, Kellea
Jones Samuel, farmer, Little park
Kingscote Thos. H., farmer, Low. Kellea
Probert Wm. Edwd., farmer, Great pk
Thomas David, Carpenters' Arms P.H.
Tranter John, farmer, Little Campstone


CLICK HERE for Kellys Directory 1914 for the whole of Monmouthshire


Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire 1920

Llangattock Lingoed is a parish and small village, 3 miles east from Llanvihangel station on the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford section of the Great Western railway, and 7 north-east from Abergavenny, in the Monmouth division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Abergavenny, rural deanery of Abergavenny, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff. The church of St Cadoc is an ancient building of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled tower containing 3  bells: and between the chancel and nave is a beautiful rood screen of the date of Henry VI.: the church plate includes a chalice and paten of hammered silver, the latter forming a cover: there are 105 sittings. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £175, with residence and 16½ acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1917 by the Rev. John Griffith. There are some quarries of very good stone, much used for building purposes. The Marquess of Abergavenny , who is the lord of the manor, and Roger Vaughan, esq. are the principal landowners. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, apples, with much pasture land. The area is 1,944 acres; rateable value, £1,574; the population in 1911 was 135.

Post Office.- Miss Emily Lewis, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Abergavenny. Llanvihangel Crucorney is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 4 miles distant.

Public Elementary (Endowed) School (mixed), erected in 1848, for 43 children & since enlarged in 1887 to hold 56; & supported in part by an endowment of £400 bestowed in 1849 by James Davies, formerly of Devauden, to whose memory a tablet was erected in the chancel of the church; Mrs. Mary Ellen Thomas, mistress.

Griffith Rev John, Rectory
Hartridge Montague, Pen-y-Rheol (postal address Llanvihangel Crucorney)
COMMERCIAL
Baylis Thomas, farmer, Great house
Bayliss Gilbert, farmer, Pentra
Bayliss Gilbert Farmer, farmer, Hendre
Davies Leonard Harold, farmer, Crossways
Davies Thomas, farmer, Penrose farm
Davies Thomas, farmer, Up. Kellea
Davies Warrren, farmer, Old court
Husbands Robert (Mrs.), farmer, Great Cwm
Johnson Walter, farmer
Jones Albert, farmer, Tump
Jones Allan, farmer, Pwllaca
Jones James, farmer, Kellea
Jones Samuel, farmer, Little Park
Kingscote Thomas H., farmer, Low. Kellea
Morgan David John, shopkeeper
Perret Charles, Carpenter' Arms P.H.
Probert Edward Reese, farmer, Great park
Tranter John, farmer, Little Campstone

 


Last updated September 2018