Llangattock Lingoed Genealogy Home Page

 

 

 

Llangattock Lingoed

Genealogy and History

Brief history of the parish (and its name)


Monmouthshire around 1700


To search for a name on this site please go to the search page

Dwellings
(with Census
Returns)

-- Map of the parish with links to dwellings.
-- Index of dwellings.
-- Census strays (born in Llangattock Lingoed, but not enumerated there): 1861/1871, 1881, 1891, 1901.
-- Census references and population information.

Births, Marriages & Deaths

-- General information on Llangattock Lingoed parish registers.

-- Baptisms 1697-1760
-- Baptisms 1761-1810
-- Baptisms 1811-1849
-- Baptisms 1850-1900
-- Marriages 1697-1753
-- Marriages 1754-1812
-- Marriages 1813-1837
-- Marriages 1848-1900
-- Burials 1697-1760
-- Burials 1761-1810
-- Burials 1811-1850
-- Burials 1851-1900
-- Marriage Bonds 1730-1834
-- Other information on births, marriages and deaths (also see wills and monuments below).
Legal

-- Proved wills of persons named as living in Llangattock Lingoed, together with others associated with the parish.
-- Documents relating to land lease & transfer
-- Deeds and documents referred to in Bradney's History of Monmouthshire
-- Civil & criminal court proceedings
-- Some 16th- and 17th-century taxation records survive.
-- Electoral Registers for 1832, 1841 and 1844.

Education

-- The Register of James Davies School, started in 1881, with each pupil's address, name of parent and date of birth; plus children listed as 'scholar' in the censuses for 1851, 1861 and 1871; also a listing of all the teachers known to have taught at the school.

-- The school was founded by James Davies. Extracts from his biography, published in 1850, provide an interesting portrait.

Religion
-- St Cadoc's Church rectors and curates since 1668 (some earlier); also the names of some churchwardens and entries from the churchwardens' books.
-- Monuments inside the church and in the churchyard recorded by Sir Joseph Bradney in 1904.
-- Four persons who were registered as dissenters in 1818.
Land
-- There are some surviving Manorial Records beginning with those from 1256-7.
-- The Park, which occupies much of the western side of the parish was part of the estate of the Earl of Abergavenny, originally used as a hunting park. A survey of the whole estate, with a listing of tenants, was produced in 1821.
-- The Tithe Apportionment of 1843 shows owners and occupiers of land and dwellings.
-- A listing of Owners of Land in 1873 who were resident in the parish. Note that this does not necessarily mean that the land they owned was in the parish nor that all owners of the land in the parish are included.
Occupations
-- Directories: entries in the Post Office Directory of 1871 and Kelly's Directory for 1895, 1901, 1914 and 1920.
Publications

-- Book of Baglan Llyfr Baglan was compiled between the years 1600 and 1607 and contains the pedigrees of local minor gentry families. It was edited by J.A. Bradney and published in 1910. None of the entries deals specifically with Llangattock Lingoed families, but all other references to them have been extracted.

-- Newspapers: selections from some 19th- and early 20th-century newspapers

Miscellanea
-- Miscellaneous references to individuals and families.

The information provided is a guide to the original sources; it is not a substitute for them or for your own judgement.

If you have any comments on this website please contact: saintcadoc200@gmail.com


Useful Books

There are brief histories of the major families and their houses in Sir Joseph Bradney, A History of Monmouthshire, Volume 1, Part 2, London, Mitchell Hughes and Clarke, 1906 (repr. Academy Books, London, 1991)

Several local houses are described, in terms of construction techniques, in Sir Cyril Fox and Lord Raglan, Monmouthshire Houses, Parts I-III, National Museum of Wales, Cardiff, 1951-54 (repr. Merton Priory Press, Cardiff, 1994)


View of the Skirrid from the village
 
View of Old Court and Cwm Farm

Last updated May 2019