by Tim Hebert
|| At that time, settlers of the parish wanted
to move the parish seat further down the bayou, closer to the road that
went from Bayou Terrebonne to Bayou Black. The Belanger/Grinage tract was
only 3 arpents below this road. They donated part of their land (1 arpent
front by 10 arpents deep) to the parish. The rest of their property was
divided into lots and sold. Grinage, who had bought out Belanger, sold
the first lot to Francis W. Jones. Located at the southeast corner of Main
and Goode Streets, it was home to the first inn in Terrebonne Parish (1837).
The earliest map of the town was made in 1847 by J.B. Grinage.
Houma was incorporated on March 16, 1848.
In 1855, a map was made that showed the progress of the city of Houma. It shows the courthouse (with recorder building in front and the prison in back), two churches (Methodist and Catholic), a school, and several other structures.
Copyright 1997-2001 Tim Hebert
Main Page | History | Libraries | Courthouse | Churches | Cemeteries | Censuses | Maps | Newspapers | Terrebonne Today