|Jefferson Davis Parish was founded in 1912, when Governor L.E. Hall signed the Parish Division Bill, Imperial Calcasieu Parish was divided - separating Calcasieu and creating Jefferson Davis Parish. The parish is named for the President of the Confederacy, Jefferson Davis.
The division of the parishes occurred following 16 years of altercation, but the bill was finally passed without dissent.
On October 12, 1912, Jennings was selected as the permanent parish seat. In 1990, the parish had a population of 30,722. With a water area of 6.3 square miles, and land area covering some 652.4 square miles; the population averages out to approximately 47.1 people per square mile.
In addition to ancestors of the original French and Spanish settlers, the parish includes many Cajuns and African Americans as well as members of the Coushatta (Koasati) Indian tribe.