The Steele Family



The Steele Family

The following was originally published in The Kentucky Explorer Magazine.

It is reprinted here with the permission of Cova Lee Rusk Freeman,
great-granddaughter of Boston Steele.
Thanks Cova!


Boston Steele, and his two children, Anna Eliza Steele and George Wesley Steele.
  The photo was taken ca. 1872.

My great-grandfather, was born February 1822 in Russell County, Virginia.  He died October 12, 1899, in Concord, Pendleton County, Kentucky, and is buried in the Lenoxburg Cemetery, Lenoxburg, Bracken County, Kentucky.  He was the oldest child of Harvey Jacob and Jane Asbury Steele.

Boston left the family home in Virginia in 1846 at the age of 24.  We do not know whether or not he came directly to Kentucky from Virginia upon leaving home.

The first Pendleton County census, which he has been found on, is the one taken in 1860.  He and his wife, Elizabeth Ramey, from Greenup County, Kentucky, are both listed there.  Boston and Elizabeth had four children:  Mollie Thompson Steele Newkirk (1862-1891), George Wesley Steele (1864-1957), Anna Elizabeth Steele (1867-1891), and Jane Glenn "Jennie" Steele Martin (1871-1945)

Boston and his family lived in several different locations in Pendleton County, and in May 1885, he bought approximately 52 acres of land along the Kincaid Creek in Concord, Kentucky.  His son, George W. Steele, purchased approximately 22 acres adjacent to that of his father in 1909.

George W. Steele, who was my grandfather, married Ada Lee "Dolly" Hart (1870-1905) on November 22, 1893.  Six children were born to this union:  Garnett E. Steele (1894-1976), J. Corbett Steele (1896-1955), George D. Steele (1898-1899), Granville C. Steele (1900-1972),  Mabel M. Steele Rusk (1902-1980), and Bessie L. Steele (1904-1984).  He lived his entire life, some 92 years, in the Concord community.



(Photo of Ada Lee "Dollie" Hart Steele   -  George Wesley Steele)

All of the property which he and his father, Boston, owned along the Kincaid Creek was eventually sold by the heirs and became part of the Kincaid Lake State Park, which is near Falmouth, Kentucky.  Located in the park is the log house.  It is simple in design and attracts the eye and respect of visitors who come to enjoy Kincaid Lake State Park.  It has been restored and is now used as the office of the park ranger and business manager.  My grandfather, George W., lived in this house until his death in 1957.  His daughter, Bessie, lived with him and cared for him until then.


(Photo of the Cabin)

My grandmother, Ada, died before this log house was built.  She never lived in this particular home.  My grandfather and his children did live there.   

Occasionally, I visit the park and log house.  The log house and the farm do not look like they did when I visited by grandfather and aunt during the summer vacations from school win I was a child, but I still can visualize the way it was and remember those times with pleasure.

Cova Lee Rusk Freeman - you may contact Cova at the following: