Two African-American Cemeteries
Founded in Pendleton County
Generously contributed by Dan Knecht, thanks Dan!
Transcribed by Bonnie Snow with the permission of Dan Knecht
Families in Search Of Records And Information Regarding Miller Ridge Road and Gillespie Road Graveyards.
By Dan Knecht - 2003
Photo Courtesy of Dan Knetch
On A recent trip to northern Pendleton County, Kentucky, Bennie Butler, of the Northern Kentucky African-American Heritage Task Force and Everett Adams, a native of the area, were searching for old African-American cemeteries. They found two Cemeteries of interest, which I have documented here.
The first cemetery is located on what was known as Miller's Ridge. This is off of Route 22, about one mile from US 27. There is a garage and junkyard located there. You must ask permission from the owner of the garage to proceed, as it is private land. Park your car across the road by the gap to the junkyard. Walk through the junkyard to the other side. Go through the gap into the cow pasture. The cemetery is on the right side in a clump of trees.
There are many fieldstones and overturned stones lying about. However, there are several markers still standing with the following names. One thing that was very unusual is that several markers had names on all four sides, thus one stone was for four people.
Known people buried at Miller Ridge Cemetery are: Kate Conrad, 1843-1904; Lewis Conrad, 1830-1903; Mary Conrad, 1874-1890; Louisa Johnson, 1840-1884; Julia Hughes, 1828-1895; Elzy Hughes, 1827-1885, Company E 107 Regiment U.S. Colored Infantry; William L. Southgate, 1st Sgt. Company G 107 Regiment U.S.C.I.; and Harrison Miller, 1824.
Harrison Miller was the owner of the property after the Civil War. It is probable that his wife and some of his children are buried there with him, thus the name Miller's Ridge.
These names are from the 1880 census: Mary Miller, wife, 1855; Fanny Miller, daughter, 1869; Armsted Miller, son, 1872; James (Jim) Miller, son, 1873; Milly Miller, daughter, 1876; and George Miller, son, 1878. There could possibly be more children.
James (Jim) Miller was the last Miller to own the land. Everett Adams remembers him well, for he was living there in the 1930s.
Here is some interesting information about the 107th U.S. Colored Infantry, which Elszy Hughes and William Southgate belonged to: Organized at Covington, Kenton County, Kentucky, July 18th-September 27th, 1864. Attached to the military district of Kentucky, Department of the Ohio, to October 1864. Provisional Brigade 18th Corps, Army of the James, to December 1864, 1st. Brigade, 1st Division, 25th Corps and Department of Texas, to August 1867.
Service duty at Camp Nelson, Kentucky, until October 1864, ordered to Baltimore, Maryland then to City Point, Virginia. October 21st. Siege operations against Petersburg and Richmond until March 1865. Appomattox campaign March 28th-April 9th. Katcher's Run March 29th-31st. Fall of Petersburg April 2nd. Pursuit of Lee April 3rd-9th. Appomattox Courthouse April 9th, present at the surrender of Lee and his Army duty at Petersburg and City Point until June. Duty at Brownsville and on the Rio Grand, Texas until August 1867. Mustered out August 10, 1867.
Photo Courtesy of Dan Knetch
The second cemetery of interest (Pictured above) is located at the end of Gillespie Road off Route 22. It is easier to get there from the other side of Route 330. This cemetery has several fieldstones and headstones, but none with any names. Everett Adams remembers this area as being owned by Ben Munday. He remembers him well and that he died around 1939. Benjamin (Ben) Munday appears on the 1880 census at 17 years of age, born 1863. His mother is listed as America Munday, born 1843; and a brother, George Munday, born 1868, is also listed. It is likely they are buried there with Ben.
Other Mundays living in the area in 1880 who could be buried there are Mary, born 1850; Hattie, born 1860; Lou, born 1861; Susan, born 1830; and Thomas, born 1850.
It is probable that the father of Ben Munday and husband of America was George Munday, listed as one of the sons of Daniel Monday (Munday) in 1850. Since Ben's brother is named George, he could have been named after his father, and they did live in the right area.
Daniel Monday (Munday) is listed on the 1850 census as a free black man, occupation farmer, born 1793 in Kentucky with his family as follows:
Harriet, wife, born 1880; children: James, born 1828; Susan, born 1821; John, born 1838; George, born 1834; Eliza, born 1835; Ann, born 1837; Nancy, born 1839; Lucy, born 1841; William, born 1843; Thomas, born 1845; and Catherine, born 1847.
There may have been more children after 1850. It is likely that Daniel and Harriet and some of their children are buried there.
William Munday was a soldier in the Civil War. His tombstone reads: Wm. Munday Company D 100 U.S.C. Inf. He is buried in another cemetery in a field on the way to Hayes Station. William Munday was enlisted on May 23, 1864. He was 20 years old and was a farmer. His eyes, hair and complexion are all listed as black. He was six feet tall. He mustered out on December 26, 1865. His wife's name was Susan.
We are continuing to try and locate any records of these cemeteries and families and may have more information coming. If any one else has information we would love to hear from you.
Please contact Dan Knecht at (513) 528-4919 - Thanks!