Generation No. 1
1. WILLIAM L.2 ANNESS (JOHN N.1) was born 1801 in Virginia. He married JULIAN GROVES February 10, 1838 in Grant County, Kentucky1, daughter of JOHN GROVES and PRISCILLA SHIP.
Notes for WILLIAM L. ANNESS:
Volume X pg 188
D T (Daniel) Groves and Perlina) were married at the home of William S. Anness on December 10, 1874. Daniel was his nephew. One of the witness to Daniels Marriage was Thomas J. Anness, relationship undetermined. KY Bond Book 1873-1876 pg 81, Grant County, KY.
Volume IV Pg 79 February 1838
Apparently his father, John N. Anness made an oath that he believed that Williams's future bride, Julian, was of age. He stated that he had known her by site in 1819 when she appeared to 4-5 yrs old.
Bond Book 1832-1838 Pg. 92
Early Grant County KY Marriages and Bonds
Family Tree, Marriage Index 1720-1926 Sec III Ch 34
Grant County Kentucky Marriage
Julian Groves to William L. Annes February 10, 1838.
William S. Annes is listed in the 1870 Grant County, Kentucky Census, Cordova Pct. Pg. 484 & pg 498
(Note in 1900 in Harrison County, a Mahaley Groves is listed in the household of Charles of Anness. Born Dec 1839. She is Charles Anness mother in law. She is 60 years old. She is the divorced or widowed wife of George W. Groves.
Nancy Jane Anness (Oct 18, 1844- Jan 24, 1909) who married on Nov 26, 1867, Henry Clay Morgan son of WH Morgan (the chosen guardian of Addison and John Groves in 1852) Nancy had two brothers, Willie and Brutus and their father was William." Jerimiah Morgan, father of WH Morgan, was a witness to Priscilla Groves' will in 1864.
Marriage Notes for WILLIAM ANNESS and JULIAN GROVES:
ANNESS, Willaim S. and Julian Groves. Bond Date: 10 February, 1838
Bondsman: John N. Anness. John N. Anness made an oath that he believes that Julian Anness (sic) is 21 years of age because he says her brother Samuel who is younger than her, has been at least 2 years on the muster roll and was enrolled 1 year before that and his father had him taken off the list. Also that he has known her by sight since the year 1819 and that she then appeared to be 4 or 5 years old. Bond Book 1832-1838 page 92
Marriage Date: not recorded
Early Grant Co Kentucky Marriages and Bonds
Kentucky County Records by Janet Pease Volume IV
Children of WILLIAM ANNESS and JULIAN GROVES are:
2. i. JOHN WILLIAM3 ANNESS, b. December 27, 1839, Grant County, Kentucky; d. January 18, 1923, Harrison County, Kentucky.
ii. HENRY ANNESS, b. 1841, grant Co, Kentucky; m. MISSOURI E. BOONE, February 13, 1866, Grant Co, Kentucky2.
Marriage Notes for HENRY ANNESS and MISSOURI BOONE:
Bondsman was Daniel Boone. Married at the residence of James Groves by ZR Carter
iii. CHARLES ANNESS, b. 1844; d. May 12, 1916, Stringtown, Harrison Co, Kentucky3.
Notes for CHARLES ANNESS:
Charles J. Anness was enrolled for one year June 13, 1863. He was mustered in as a private in Company H, 40th Kentucky Infantry, September 27, 1863 at Grayson, Kentucky and was mustered out of service December 30, 1864 at Catlettburg, Kentucky.
Grant County 1890 Special Veterans Census
Corinth District Grant County.
Charles J. Anness served in Company H, 40th KY Inf.
June 9, 1863 to January 17, 1865.
obituary Notice, Falmouth OUtlook May 12 1916
Civil War Veteran, Charles Anness died a Stringtown April 30, 1916, buried at Thompson Cemetery.
Tombstone inscriptions: Thompson Cemetery
located approximately 1/2 mile east of US 36 on Harrison Grant County line.
Charles J ANNESS cO h 40TH ky INF.
iv. GEORGE ANNESS, b. 1845; m. LATTIE, Abt. 1871.
v. MISSOURI ANNESS, b. 1849.
3. vi. PRISCILLA J. ANNESS, b. March 15, 1857, Harrison County, Ky; d. December 31, 1928, Corinth, Grant County, Kentucky.
vii. SARAH ANNESS, b. Abt. 1858.
4. viii. NANCY ANNESS, b. October 18, 1844, Grant Co, Kentucky; d. January 24, 1909.
ix. JAMES ANNESS4.
x. THOMAS ANNESS4.
xi. WASH ANNESS4.
5. xii. MARTHA ANNESS, b. 1855.
Generation No. 2
2. JOHN WILLIAM3 ANNESS (WILLIAM L.2, JOHN N.1) was born December 27, 1839 in Grant County, Kentucky, and died January 18, 1923 in Harrison County, Kentucky. He married LAURA ANN GROVES April 09, 1872 in Grant County, Kentucky5, daughter of JAMES GROVES and SARAH INDACUT.
Notes for JOHN WILLIAM ANNESS:
John Anness and Laura Groves appear to be first cousins. John is the son of Julian Groves Anness and Laura is the daughter of James Groves. James and Julian are the children of John E. Groves.
Grant Co, KY Marriage Bonds and Records, 1866-1875
John W. Anness was enrolled for three years Oct 22, 1861. He was mustered in as a private in Company F, 20th Kentucky Infantry, January 6, 1862 at Smithland Kentucky. He was mustered out of service January 17, 1865 at Louisville, Kentucky.
Harrison County 1890 Special Census, Rutland District, Hinton Post Office.
Harrison County 1910 Census
Union veteran John w. Anniss, age 70, resides with his wife of 38 years, Laura, age 54, a mother of 9 children, 6 survive. Father in law James Groves, a Union veteran, age 83, widower and grandson Carl R. Groves age 10 also reside with John W. Anness.
Obituary Notice, Cynthiana, Log Cabin, January 19, 1923
Mr. John W. Anniss, well known farmer of the northwestern part of the county, died January 18, 1923. He was born in this county, December 27, 1839, the son of the late William and Julia Anness. On April 9, 1872 he married Miss Laura Ann Groves who survies with 6 children, George F. and Ben T. Anness of Berry, James W. and Charles G. Anness of Boyd. Mrs. Miles Barnes of Berry and Mrs. Charles Dunn of Hamilton, Ohio. He leaves three brothers and one sister, Mrs. P.N. New of Berry James Anness of Greenburg, Indianan; Thomas J. Anness of Berry and Wash Anness of Corinth Kentucky. Buried in Raven Creek Cemetery.
Notes for LAURA ANN GROVES:
As per 1910 census Laura was the mother of 9 children, 6 which are living in 1910.
Obituary Notice: Cynthiana Democratic, July 23, 1937.
Mrs. Laura Anness died Sunday morning, July 18, 1937. She was the daughter of the late James and Elizabeth Groves. She was born in Estill County, November 16, 1854 and was united in marriage with John W. Anness April 9, 1872. She was survived by four children, Mrs. Anna Dunn, Mr. James Anness of Pendleton County, Mr. Ben Anness of Covington and Mr. George Anness of Harrison County
Buried in Raven Creek Cemetery.
Marriage Notes for JOHN ANNESS and LAURA GROVES:
Anness, John Wm and Laura A. Groves
Bond Date; 9 April 1872 bondsman: James Groves
Groom of Grant Co. ae 33y 1st marriage, farmer born Grant Co. Father born
Virgina, mother born KY
Bride of Grant Co ae 18y, 1st marriage born Estill Co, Ky. Father born Kentucky
mother born Tennessee.
Married 9 April 1872 at the residence of James Groves by Z.R. Carter.
Father of the bridge present.
Groom 's surname spelled Annise
Witness: Thos. B. Ramsey, Clay Annise.
Bond Book 1870-1873, page 270.
Marriage Date: 9 April 1872 at the residence of James Groves by Z.R. Carter. Groom's surname spelled Annise.
(NOTE: bride and groom are first cousins)
Children of JOHN ANNESS and LAURA GROVES are:
i. JAMES WILLIAM4 ANNESS, b. January 13, 1873; d. July 12, 1943, Harrison Co, Kentucky6; m. JULIA FRANCIS ROLAND.
ii. CHARLES GILLIAM ANNESS, b. June 06, 1874, Grant Co, Kentucky; d. December 19, 1936, Pendleton Co, Kentucky; m. MARY ELIZABETH GROVES7, May 03, 1899, Harrison County, Ky8.
Notes for MARY ELIZABETH GROVES:
Children's names from Cynthia Democrat Newspaper Obit Nov 14, 1963
Pallbearers were Joe Groves, Richard Anness, Ralph Jones, Grover Groves, Herman Laytart, and Clinton Wright. (relationships undetermined)
Marriage Notes for CHARLES ANNESS and MARY GROVES:
Bride and groom are second cousins.
Charles Anness is the grandson of James Groves
Mary Elizabeth Groves is the daughter of Julian Groves Anness, James' sister.
iii. ANNIE ANNESS, b. 1876; d. 1961; m. (1) CHARLIE T. DUNN; m. (2) CHARLIE BROOKS.
iv. HENRY CLAY ANNESS, b. 1878; d. Bef. 1937.
v. SUSAN JANE ANNESS9, b. October 27, 1880, Grant Co, Kentucky; d. Bef. 1937; m. (1) MILES BARNES; m. (2) JEPTHA GROVES10, June 14, 1899, Cynthiana, Harrison, Kentucky11.
Notes for JEPTHA GROVES:
Listed in 1900 Pendleton County Census and in his mothers pension application.
Jepetha Groves 8/1878 21 yrs
Susan wife 10/1880 19 yrs
Pendleton Co Vol 63 ED 68 Sht 5
vi. GEORGE F. ANNESS, b. 1884; d. 1958; m. WILLINE DUNGAN.
vii. BEN THOMAS ANNESS, b. 1886; d. 1969; m. LULA DUNN.
3. PRISCILLA J.3 ANNESS (WILLIAM L.2, JOHN N.1) was born March 15, 1857 in Harrison County, Ky, and died December 31, 1928 in Corinth, Grant County, Kentucky12. She married PETE NEW.
Child of PRISCILLA ANNESS and PETE NEW is:
i. GIRL4 NEW, m. CHARLIE HENRY.
4. NANCY3 ANNESS (WILLIAM L.2, JOHN N.1)13 was born October 18, 1844 in Grant Co, Kentucky, and died January 24, 1909. She married HENRY CLAY MORGAN14 November 26, 1867 in Grant Co, Kentucky, son of WH MORGAN.
Children of NANCY ANNESS and HENRY MORGAN are:
i. HELEN4 MORGAN15, b. 1868; d. 1954.
ii. IDA MORGAN16, b. March 16, 1870, Grant Co, Kentucky; d. December 04, 1966; m. LEWIS ALVIN ACKMAN17, October 04, 1887.
iii. JOHN HARLAN MORGAN18, b. March 14, 1872; d. August 30, 1952; m. SARAH ANN GILL, December 26, 1900.
iv. THEODORE MORGAN19, b. May 30, 1874; d. May 31, 1926; m. JULIA HARRISON.
v. HENRY CLAY MORGAN19, b. September 25, 1876; d. April 24, 1973; m. MINNIE JANE EDMONDSON.
vi. A. GARFIELD MORGAN19, b. December 20, 1880; d. December 14, 1942; m. MINNIE MORGAN.
vii. LILLY MORGAN19, b. 1882; d. April 17, 195720; m. ELLIE MARTIN21.
viii. EASTER ELLEN MORGAN22, b. 1883; d. 1946; m. DESI DUNGAN23.
5. MARTHA3 ANNESS (WILLIAM L.2, JOHN N.1) was born 1855. She married (1) JAMES H. DUNN April 09, 1873, son of ABRAM DUNN and AGNES ROBINSON. She married (2) JAMES H. DUNN April 10, 1873 in Grant Co, Kentucky24.
Children of MARTHA ANNESS and JAMES DUNN are:
i. ELZY4 DUNN, b. 1875.
ii. ELMER DUNN.
iii. CLARA B. DUNN, b. 1882; d. 1897.
iv. HATTIE DUNN, m. JOSEPH LAWERENC.
1. Early Grant County KY Marriages and BondsBond Book 1832-1838 pg. 92Volume IV pg. 79Grant Co. KY Marriages 1820-1850Sec III Ch. 34
2. Grant County Marriages, page 135.
3. Obituary in Falmouth Outlook May 12, 1916.
4. john W. Anness Obiturary Cythiana Log Cabin 1-19-1923.
5. LDS library as per Betty Galladay1407 S. Anderson, Urbana, Ill 61801Grant County Ky Marriages 1866-1875
6. Obituary in Cynthiana Democrat, July 22, 1943..
7. 1880 Harrison County, Kentucky Census.
8. marriage Bond.
9. Pendleton County 1900 Census.
10. 1880 Harrison County, Kentucky Census.
11. marriage Bond.
12. Grant County, KY death certificateFile #302237Buried Raven Creek ?
13. Janet Pease, Abstract Court Records Grant, Harrison and Pendleton County, (Published by Grant Historical Society), Bond Book 1867-1870 page 11.
14. Janet Pease, Abstract Court Records Grant, Harrison and Pendleton County, (Published by Grant Historical Society), marriage bond Harrison County.
15. will filed for probate in Grant Co August 8, 1910.
16. will filed for probate in Grant Co August 8, 1910, provided great grddaughter of John H. Groves.
17. Betty Galladay, ggrandaughter of John H. Groves.
18. will filed for probate in Grant Co August 8, 1910, provied by ggrandaughter of John H. Groves.
19. will filed for probate in Grant Co August 8, 1910.
20. ggrandaughter of John H. Groves, could be 1959Buried Municipal cemetery, Williamstown, Grant Co, KY.
21. ggrandaughter of John H. Groves.
22. will filed for probate in Grant Co August 8, 1910.
23. ggrandaughter of John H. Groves.
24. Janet Pease, Abstract Court Records Grant, Harrison and Pendleton County, (Published by Grant Historical Society), page 150.
The following is a summary of the Anness Family
1 John N. Anness
. 2 William L. Anness 1801 -
..... +Julian Groves 1817 -
..... 3 John William Anness 1839 - 1923
......... +Laura Ann Groves 1854 - 1937
......... 4 James William Anness 1873 - 1943
............. +Julia Francis Roland
......... 4 Charles Gilliam Anness 1874 - 1936
............. +Mary Elizabeth Groves 1875 - 1963
......... 4 Annie Anness 1876 - 1961
............. +Charlie T. Dunn
......... *2nd Husband of Annie Anness:
............. +Charlie Brooks
......... 4 Henry Clay Anness 1878 - Bef. 1937
......... 4 Susan Jane Anness 1880 - Bef. 1937
............. +Miles Barnes
......... *2nd Husband of Susan Jane Anness:
............. +Jeptha Groves 1878 -
......... 4 George F. Anness 1884 - 1958
............. +Willine Dungan
......... 4 Ben Thomas Anness 1886 - 1969
............. +Lula Dunn
..... 3 Henry Anness 1841 -
......... +Missouri E. Boone 1850 -
..... 3 Charles Anness 1844 - 1916
..... 3 George Anness 1845 -
..... 3 Missouri Anness 1849 -
..... 3 Priscilla J. Anness 1857 - 1928
......... +Pete New 1852 - 1919
......... 4 Girl New
............. +Charlie Henry
..... 3 Sarah Anness Abt. 1858 -
..... 3 Nancy Anness 1844 - 1909
......... +Henry Clay Morgan 1843 - 1906
......... 4 Helen Morgan 1868 - 1954
......... 4 Ida Morgan 1870 - 1966
............. +Lewis Alvin Ackman 1868 - 1952
......... 4 John Harlan Morgan 1872 - 1952
............. +Sarah Ann Gill 1878 -
......... 4 Theodore Morgan 1874 - 1926
............. +Julia Harrison 1876 - 1929
......... 4 Henry Clay Morgan 1876 - 1973
............. +Minnie Jane Edmondson 1877 - 1945
......... 4 A. Garfield Morgan 1880 - 1942
............. +Minnie Morgan
......... 4 Lilly Morgan 1882 - 1957
............. +Ellie Martin 1882 - 1964
......... 4 Easter Ellen Morgan 1883 - 1946
............. +Desi Dungan 1873 - 1957
..... 3 James Anness
..... 3 Thomas Anness
..... 3 Wash Anness
..... 3 Martha Anness 1855 -
......... +James H. Dunn 1846 - 1898
......... 4 Elzy Dunn 1875 -
......... 4 Elmer Dunn
......... 4 Clara B. Dunn 1882 - 1897
......... 4 Hattie Dunn
............. +Joseph Lawerenc
..... *2nd Husband of Martha Anness:
......... +James H. Dunn 1846 -
. 2 Thomas Anness?
. 2 Elizabeth Anness
..... +Robert Million