in the Long Run Cemetery are more or less arranged in
north-south rows. On the map they are placed in straight
line rows running approximately north-south.
is made to located graves marked by rough native stones
without inscriptions or to locate otherwise unmarked graves.
The cemetery is filled with graves but only about half of
them, or less, are marked. Some stones have fallen been lost
by age, erosion, cattle destruction, falling and being
buried, tree roots, and now by the mowing machine. To add to
the confusion and lack of "law and order" some
grave stones face east and some face west, sometimes even in
the same row.
cemetery, although roughly a trapezoid in shape
(disregarding private section) is actually a fifteen-sided
polygon. For simplicity it is represented on the map as a
trapezoid. The shape does not affect the grave locations.
two rock enclosures and one vault. The rock enclosures are
square in shape and contain two graves each. There were
other rock enclosures which have been destroyed. The rock
from one of them was used to make the front walk. Some
slaves are buried on the south side of the cemetery but only
one grave is marked with a stone.
following stones may not be in their original position due
to having been displaced when work was done on the church
and when the large trees were felled: Thomas J. Buckner,
Simpson S. Buckner, George Bridges, Rebecca Bridges, John H.
Talbott, Leland M. Talbott, America Hobbs, Louisa Hobbs, and
Simpson Sturgeon. The stone of Elijah Woolfolk, buried for
about twenty years, was found after the map was drawn. It is
in Section 2, near the partly fallen square. The exact grave
site of Abraham Lincoln is unknown.
There have been four different fences enclosing the Long Run
Cemetery. The first was a rock fence similar to those left
standing in many parts of Kentucky. As the years past it
fell into disrepair and was partially replaced by a
rectangular wire fence which may be seen in the 1922
pictures made by the Filson Club, along with portions of the
rock fence still standing then. About 1961 a rail fence,
which still stands, was built around the cemetery. For
greater protection against livestock a link chain fence has
been placed around the outside of the rail fence. The
private cemetery was, until Jefferson County purchased the
church property in 1961, enclosed by an iron mesh fence with
an arch over the gate. In the northwest corner of the
cemetery there is a picket-type iron fence enclosing one
grave. Near this one grave enclosure there was another iron
fence which grouped four or five graves of the Proctor
TREES - In
years past there were many trees in the Long Run Cemetery as
may be seen in the 1922 pictures. The finest of these trees
were felled in 1949 and sold by the congregation for lumber.
The proceeds were used to buy a bus for the use of the
church. In the fall of 1969 members of Historic Middletown,
Inc. felled eleven saplings, mostly locust, which through
neglect had been allowed to grow over graves and in the rock
AND WELL - There were two entrances to the church yard, one
on the north side and one of the west, both marked by large
solid posts of native stone which still stand. The north
entrance has been closed by the fence leaving only the west
gate. A little tot he left of the north gate is an old well
still marked by the iron pump. There is a service entrance
gate at the southwest corner of the cemetery.
walls, which were left standing after the fire in 1960, were
straightened and reinforced in the fall of 1969 by the
Jefferson County Park Board. Also the walls were
tuck-pointed in the spring of 1970.