In and around Boyle County, KY
Churches in Boyle County
Four part article by Richard C Brown, Danville
Advocate-Messenger, February 1993
of African-American Churches in Boyle County
General history of African American Churches in
Kentucky, and Boyle County, focusing on Second Street Christian, St James AME
and Clifton, extracted from the National
Register of Historic Places Applications, with illustrations and bibliography.
Click on the pictures for a larger version
Christ The Head Missionary Church, East Main St
Clifton Baptist Church, Clifton
Davistown Baptist Church, Garrard Co
First Baptist Church, 2nd and Walnut Streets
First Baptist Church, Perryville
Hope Full Gospel Church, Duncan Hill
Hope Full Gospel Church
Junction City AME Church, ca 1965
New Bethel Church, Cowan St
New Birth Temple of Deliverance, Perryville Rd
Old Bethel Baptist Church, now torn down
St. James A.M.E. Church
Second Street Christian Church
Stony Point Predestinarian Baptist Church
Vision Church of Holiness, Holiday Drive
Wilsonville A.M.E. Church
Register of Historic Places Application
Church Complex part 1,
Church Complex part 2,
James AME Church
and the Second Street
|Brief History of
Some Boyle County Churches and their Ministers
Jubilee of the General Association
of Colored Baptists in Kentucky,
C H Parrish, ed, Louisville, Mayes Printing, 1915
NEW MISSION BAPTIST CHURCH, DANVILLE, KY.
Now, Second Street Christian Church
Organized, 1892, by Rev. Wallace Fisher, with 14 members. Thirteen from
the old Green St. Baptist Church and one from the Centennial Baptist
Church, Harrodsburg. The following were in the organization: Wallace
Fisher, Horace Nelson, Edward Miller, Josie Miller, Jesse Jones, Louis
Buster, Polly Davis, Jacob Frye, Hannah Davis, Lucinda Gregory, Horace
Fox, Elijah Frye, Washington Hunn and Ella Smith. They worshipped in a
hall until they were able to purchase the present lot and erect a frame
building. Rev. Wallace Fisher, the first pastor, served for 16 years,
increasing the membership and erecting the first building. He also
started the present concrete building which neared completion, under the
pastorate of Rev. J. N. Smothers. The following have served this church
as pastor: Rev. W. Fisher, 16 years; Rev. A. A. Russell, 9 months;
Licentiate, Jas. Gilbert, supplied 7 or 8 months; Rev. J. N. Smothers, 4
years, and the present pastor, Rev. Melville M. D. Perdue, Louisville,
took charge, June 13, 1915. Church membership, 350. Valuation of church
JUNCTION CITY BAPTIST CHURCH
Was organized by Rev. Wallace Fisher, 1872, with a few members, among
whom were Brother Joe Ball and wife and Rosie Ball Carpenter. Sister
Rosie Carpenter is the only living member of this organization. She is
the wife of Rev. S. Carpenter, who is the present pastor. Rev. Wallace
Fisher became the pastor and served several years. Services were
conducted under trees. The first building being a log cabin too dark to
see how to read or write. Others in the organization were: Jack May Owen
and wife, Peter Douglas, Lewis Harris and wife, Wm. McFarren, Jordan
Wallace and wife, Amanda Able.
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH. DANVILLE, KY.
The First Baptist Church, Danville, one of the strongest and most
influential churches in the State, was organized the first Saturday in
August, 1846, with one hundred and twenty-three members. It was set
apart by the white Baptists of Danville as an independent church, and
the recognition services were held the following Sunday. The Rev. Jordan
Meaux was its first pastor. He was noted for his piety, godliness and
deep spiritual life. He was succeeded as pastor by the Rev. Henry Green.
Rev. Green was never a slave and was well educated for a man of his day.
He was recognized as an able preacher and was a leader among his people.
The Rev. Isaac Slaughter was
the third pastor of this historic church and for twenty-six years stood
as a cedar of Lebanon among his people. He was a great Bible student and
a fearless defender of the faith.
At his death Rev. Wallace
Fisher, a young man who had been trained in the church under the
pastorate of Rev. Slaughter, supplied the pulpit for five months. lie
added over two hundred to its membership.
In August, 1892, Rev. David
S. Slaughter assumed the pastorate of the church and served the same
until the spring of 1898. He was succeeded by Rev. J. E. Wood, D.D., the
present pastor. The church has had marked success under the pastorate of
Rev. Wood. One of the most modern and attractive church edifices in the
State has been erected and paid for. Over seven hundred members have
been added to the church and its contributions to missions, Christian
education and benevolences have been doubled.
This church operated a
school in Danville for a number of years, known as the Baptist Academy.
Mrs. Mary Bell Wallace was the teacher in this institution and many of
the foremost citizens in Boyle county owe their training and
intellectual acquirements to her tutorage.
The church has a present
membership of over nine hundred, a: live Sunday School, Missionary
Society and B. Y. P. U. Society. Its present edifice is located at the
comer of Second and Walnut streets; and this property and furniture are
easily worth $30,000.00. Its membership is composed of intelligent,
progressive and spiritual men and women and exerts a strong influence
for good in the community.
MINISTERS and OTHERS
J E and Ella B WOOD
REV. JOHN EDMUND and ELLA B (REDD) WOOD
From Notable Kentucky African Americans Database,
Copyright 2003-2015 Reinette Jones & University of Kentucky
Libraries, references omitted here.
Reverend J. Edmund Wood was born 21 May 1867 in
Hiseville, Barren Co, KY, the son of Fannie Myers Wood and William H.
Wood. He was the husband of Ella B. (Redd) Wood, the couple married in
1891 and had five children. He was the son of William H Wood and Fannie
Myers (born in TN), and a brother to Francis M. Wood. Rev. Wood, a resident of 220 West Walnut St, died
in Danville of tuberculosis, 15 December 1929, according to his death
certificate, and is buried in Hilldale Cemetery. Prior to his death, he
had been a school teacher and a minister in Munfordville, Woodsonville,
Bardstown, and Elizabethtown, all locations in Kentucky, and he served
as president of the Kentucky Negro
in 1899. He was pastor of the First Baptist Church in Danville, KY, for
31 years, and he also served on the Danville City Council. He was a
leader in the Baptist Church, serving as president of the National
Baptist Convention for six years. The 46th Annual Session, in 1926, was
held in Indianapolis, IN. Wood was secretary of the South District
Baptist Association for 35 years, and was the moderator of the General
Association of Kentucky Baptist for nine years. In 1912, he was elected
a delegate at large and attended the Republican National Convention in
Chicago. While at the convention, he spoke out to the media in response
to the comments made about the disloyalty of Colored delegates from the
South. Rev. Wood was also an undertaker, a printer, and he was editor of
Light [or Torchlight], a
weekly newspaper that was published in Danville, KY, until the
headquarters was moved to Lexington in 1910, at 434 West Main Street.
Subscribers were allowed to pay for the newspaper with eggs, chickens,
lard, and other food items. The newspaper was in operation as early as
1904, and Rev. Wood was editor for more than 26 years. In 1907, Rev.
Wood was the National Grand Chief of the Independent Order of the Good
Samaritans, and he also had been the State Grand Chief. In 1910, he was
chairman of the executive board of the Insurance Department of the Odd
Fellows. He was elected treasurer of the Kentucky Negro Press
Association at the 2nd Annual Session
in 1916. Rev. Wood was a graduate of Kentucky Normal and Industrial
Institute, now Kentucky State University, he was a 1903 graduate of National Correspondence
College in Vincennes, IN, and a 1908 graduate of State University, Simmons College in KY. Rev. Wood was a trustee at State University
for 20 years.
REV. JAMES FRANKLIN ADAMS.
Born in Boyle Co., Ky. Attended school at Berea. Ordained, Nov. 22, 1888.
Pastored one church and erected one. Rev. Adams is pastoring the Baptist
Church at Atoka, Ky., which was organized, May 18, 1890, by himself,
assisted by Revs. C. C. Bate and Wallace Fisher and which he has pastored
ever since. He has kept it in the front rank along all lines of
Denominational duties. Membership, 60.
REV. MELVILLE MARTIN DUPEE PERDUE.
Born in Franklin, Ky. Attended the Central High School and State
University, Louisville, Ky. Ordained, August 3, 1915. Pastored one cburch.
Wrote "Workshop and Trial of Aaron Burr." Rev. Melville M. D.
Perdue is present pastor of New Mission Baptist Church, Danville.
REV. WALLACE FISHER.
Born at Danville, Boyle Co., Ky. A slave and owned by the late John Craig.
He remained a slave up to the age of sixteen when he joined the Union Army
to fight for his freedom. He served three years during which time he was
converted. Rev. Fisher preached 47 years, during which time he pastored
the following churches: Perryville, 7 years; Junction City, 2 years; Mount
Salem, 4 years, and New Mission, Danville, 16 years. Baptized and added to
different churches nearly 3500 souls. He also served as an evangelist.
Taught school eleven years and served as councilman of Danville two years.
Although Rev. Fisher is not pastoring he is still active in church work.
MISS LILLIE A. SINKLER
Graduate Selma University, Selma Ala.; taught at Selma University, Selma,
Ala., and State University, Louisville, Ky. Vice-Principal Polytechnic
Seminary, Danville, Ky., several years. Now teacher in the grades and of
music in Danville Public School. State Secretary Endowment Bureau of
Samaritans; State Secretary B. W. M. Convention; Member of Executive
Board, City Federation Women's Clubs, Danville, Ky.; Assistant Secretary
State Federation Women's" Clubs of Kentucky.
City AME Church --
information gathered from various people on Facebook:
little white church pictured to the left (top photo, courtesy of Angela
Gellenbeck) was shown on various maps of the Junction City - Shelby City
area as long ago as 1905. John W Samons notes, in 1967, his
father, Mart Samons, moved to Junction City and started a small
congregation. They purchased the old AME Church and remodeled it
and started having services there. About 1970 they remodeled the
interior by lowering the ceilings and replacing the old benches with
more comfortable seating, and also went from the coal stove to gas
heat. The group was an independent group called the Church of
God. We left the area about 1975, and another minister, Bro.
Curtis Williams, would come over on Sundays from Morehead and
preach. Later, another couple, Dan and Angela Gellenbeck, moved
from Oklahoma and took over the work there. After a few more
years, it was decided to tear the old building down and build the new
chapel (bottom photo). Bro. Dan is a very skilled craftsman and
was instrumental in the chapel picture here coming to life. Dan
and Angela are still pastoring there.
also adds that when the church was established in 1967, Bro. Tom Harris,
in his 80s, and Bro. John Wilson, were two of the main elders, both
being from Junction City.
Gellenbeck notes that she has tried researching the AME church, with
little luck. Most of the people who worshipped there have either
moved out of the area or have passed on.
McCowan Phillips notes that her great aunt owned the piece of property
that was right behind
the little white church, and sold it to (apparently) the Gellenbecks
about 10 years ago.
Hubble Craig adds that she took a photo of the little white church just
one week before it was torn down. She notes that at one time it
was used as an African-American school and church in Shelby City.