Newport Churches

Newport Churches

Apostolic Temple-at 177 East 5th Street started in 1960 after buying it from the United Hebrew Congregation.

Bibleview Baptist Church-528 Monroe

Central Christian Church-was founded on October 6, 1895 by 80 Disciples of Christ families.  They met at 6th and Washington and were unofficially known as the Washington Avenue Christian Church. On June 7, 1896 they became the Central Christian Church and moved into their first church at 6th and Monroe on October 3, 1897 under Rev J M Bailey.  The church is known for the beauty of the stained glass windows.  In 1903 the First Christian congregation merged with them. To pay off a 1937 debt, they had $1000 dinners.  The church closed in 1988.

Charity Tabernacle Church-1058 Grand Avenue.

Christian Tabernacle-325 Washington Avenue.

Church of God of the Mountain-at 11th and Liberty Avenue was formerly the Church of Christ.

Corinthian Baptist Church-was founded in 1880 by African Americans who had been meeting in homes under the spiritual guidance of Dennis Lightfoot until they obtained the economic resources to finance an independent congregation.  Its trustees bought the First German Baptist Church at the southwest corner of 6th and Columbia for their services on October 24, 1882,  but were unable to engage a full time clergyman until Rev J W Clark assumed the pulpit on January 11, 1893.  After George Wiedemann purchased that site for his brewery in 1892, the trustees acquired the First Presbyterian Church at 520 Columbia where they stayed until 1956. Presently they are relocated at 7th and Saratoga. 

Corpus Christi Catholic Church-840 Isabella. On May 15, 1844, Henry Goodman of Cincinnati donated 7500 square feet for a church to be built. On January 19, 1845 the first mass was given by Rev Charles Boeswald in German.  This was the first parish organized in Campbell County. Boeswald was born February 27, 1820 in Germany and left for America October 3, 1842 arriving in Louisville April 1843.  He served in Newport until January 1846 when he was reassigned to Louisville. He died in Louisville November 2, 1855.  A school was opened in 1848 with Joseph Patschowski as its first teacher. From this church, the parishes of St. Stephen and Immaculate Conception were formed. The Corpus Christi Cemetery came into existence about 1850 on twenty acres of land that was purchased on the Licking Pike in Wilder.  It is now known as St. Joseph Cemetery.

Covenant Christian Church-2nd and Linden

First Baptist Church of Newport-East 8th York

First Church of Christ Scientist-639 Nelson Place

First Church of the Nazarene of Newport-830 York.

The Free Pentecost Holiness Church of God-901 Columbia.

Full Gospel Assembly of God-at 1305 John Street at 13th and Monmouth was founded in 1946 by Rev O A Morgan in the old Wiedemann Aging Home.  It burned in 1974 and the sanctuary was lost and had to be remodeled. It is not in use now.

German Protestant Martini Church-was established by 28 members from St. John's Lutheran at 7th and Orchard.  They reorganized under Rev Gottlieb Brandstetter as St. Mark Lutheran Church on October 20, 1897 and acquired a lot at 8th and Monroe for a new church.

Grace United Methodist Church-was built in 1866 for the English speaking members in which to worship.  The Women's Foreign Missionary Society was formed in 1880.  After a tornado struck the Salem Methodist Church in 1986, the two churches merged and meet at 111 East 6th Street.

Immaculate Conception Catholic Church-at 124 West 5th Street was the first parish in Newport for English speaking Catholics.  It was formed from Corpus Christi and the cornerstone was laid on April 15, 1855 by Bishop Carrell. It was dedicated December 8, 1855. The first assigned pastor was Rev John Force in August 1856.  Rev Patrick Guilfoyle was appointed February 1857 and continued until November 1874.  During his time, he built the second Church, a four story building adjoining the church used by the Immaculata Academy and two brick parish schools

Love and Faith Fellowship Church-720 York.

Mount Zion Baptist Church-713 Brighton Street.

New Hope Christian Church-941 Central.

New Macedonia Old Regular Baptist-1143 Central.

Newport Methodist Episcopal Church-formed in 1806.

Ninth Street United Methodist Church-was formed on August 20, 1894.  Rev I M Walker was their first pastor and a house of worship was completed at 9th and Ann on November 24, 1900.

Old Times Holiness Church-726 Park Avenue.

Saint Francis de Sales Catholic Church-was dedicated on October 13, 1912 by Bishop Maes in Cote Brilliant, a suburb of Newport, now annexed. In September 1912 a school was opened with 75 children. In 1949 the old frame school building was razed to supply building space for a new school.  It was a one-story brick building located at Chesapeake and Grand Avenue and opened in September 1950.

Saint John's United Church of Christ-originally St. John's Evangelical Church at Park and Nelson Place was built in April 1847.  They had a fire January 10, 1939 but rebuilt and became affiliated with United Church of Christ in 1957.

Saint Mark Lutheran Church-8th and Monroe.

Saint Paul Episcopal Church-at 325 Washington Avenue was known for its beautiful and historical building.  It was damaged in the 1937 flood.

Saint Stephen Catholic Church-the first building's cornerstone was set in the fall of 1854 at 9th and Saratoga.  Its first pastor was Rev A Schippert. In 1855 a parish school was opened. Eleven acres of land was purchased for a cemetery and St. Stephens Cemetery opened May 20, 1860.  Another new church was built in 1938 and is located at 825 Washington Avenue. St. Stephens combined with two other parishes to form the Holy Trinity Parish.

Saint Vincent de Paul Catholic Church-at 119 Main Street. In 1913 those Catholics living in Clifton Heights approached Bishop Maes for a church. It was built and dedicated on September 17, 1916. The parish school also opened in September of 1916 with an enrollment of 70 students.  A new church replaced the old one in 1959.

Salem Methodist Church-In 1847 the German Methodist followers were meeting in homes.  In 1880 these people bought property at the corner of 8th and York Streets and built a beautiful brick church.  All sermons were in German.  By 1914 in the midst of WWI, the German language was abolished and English was spoken exclusively.  On March 10, 1986, there was a severe tornado in this area, and the steeple of the church was struck.  The highest part fell to the street and the large part in the center fell through the roof, through the hallway and into the basement.  The church was not repaired but sold and became the Stained Glass Theatre.  The members then merged with the Grace Methodist Church.

Second Baptist Church-713 Brighton.

 Pentecostal Church of Shield of Faith-529 West 12th.

Souls Harbor Church of Northern Kentucky-111 East 6th.

Taylor Street Methodist Church South-the building was started in 1833 by Presbyterian Yankees who had come to work in the bag factory, but sold in 1840 to the Methodist Episcopal Church and became the Taylor Street Methodist Church.  The building at 125 East 3rd Street was destroyed by the 1937 Ohio River Flood which rose over 80 feet. For a more detailed history of this church see Newport Methodist Episcopal History.

Trinity Baptist Church-at Overton Street was built in 1893, but has been closed for many years.

United Hebrew Congregation of Talmed Torah-at 117 East Fifth Street started in 1904 and lasted until 1960.  They took an interest in politics, had a school and a Jewish Protection League that was founded in 1906 to help unify Newport's Jewish Community.

West 7th Street First Church of God-830 York Street.

Word Alive Family Christian Church-114 East 8th.

York Street Congregational United Church-formerly the Westminster Presbyterian Church at 720 York Street. It was founded November 5, 1877 at Ringgold and York. Rev Samuel Eastman was the first minister called on April 7, 1878. It is now used as the Campbell County Boys and Girls Club.

Back to Newport